Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: '06 BMW K1200GT, school me please.  (Read 4785 times)

Roadscum

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '11 BMW R12R, '12 Vespa 300', '12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '13 BMW F800GT (in Europe)
GPS: SW Florida
Miles Typed: 355

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »

I'm interested in buying a '06 GT but know nothing about the slant 4 BMW's.

Tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly please...

What are the high risk areas and what should I pay particular attention to when shopping.

How many mpg should I expect.

Tell me about the cost of ownership., I know it's a BMW (Bring More Wampum)!.

Regards, Paul
FizDog74

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2005 FZ1 , 2014 Pirate Ship
GPS: Ellicott City Maryland
Miles Typed: 978

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »

I had a 2008 GT which is the same generation. Basically, the infamous final drive is suspect. BMW changed the service interval from "maintenance free" to needing to change to gear oil as part of the 600 mile service, although they never officially admitted there was a problem. I would have someone take a good look at the condition of it before you buy and check the service history. They also had a problem with the security ring that goes in the ignition. It wouldn't recognize the chip in the key and could leave you stranded. They went through several of those before they finally got it right. You would have to do a little research to see what the latest part number was and make sure the one you acquire has it installed. They also had a problem with the brake pad sensor wire breaking which would trip a light on the dash. This is actually the only problem I ever had with mine. I would say the final drive should be your biggest concern.

Cost of ownership wasn't that bad at my dealer. It was pretty much the same as my Yamaha FZ1. Everyone says the cost of ownership is high on them, but maybe I just found the right dealer.

The slant 4 is a strong running motor and returned about 42 to 43 mpg with mixed riding. The fuel delivery is pretty snatchy though. Careful on the on/off throttle transitions mid-corner. I just kinda got use to it after a while though.

Good luck!

Erik
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:32:41 PM by FizDog74 » Logged
Roadscum

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '11 BMW R12R, '12 Vespa 300', '12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '13 BMW F800GT (in Europe)

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »

I would say the final drive should be your biggest concern.

Cost of ownership wasn't that bad at my dealer. It was pretty much the same as my Yamaha FZ1. Everyone says the cost of ownership is high on them, but maybe I just found the right dealer.

......... The fuel delivery is pretty snatchy though. Careful on the on/off throttle transitions mid-corner. I just kinda got use to it after a while though.

Good luck!

Erik

Thanks for the info Erik. I'd not heard of FD failures on the K models and thought it was limited to the R models, I'm wrong again.   Headscratch

They're all a little different and it take time to work through al the "character", just like women!!  Bigok

Regards, Paul

three west

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 07 K1200GT
GPS: Mad town, WI
Miles Typed: 536

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 07:48:10 PM »

they made a change to the brakes part way through 06 I believe, earlier were servo-assisted.  this may or may not matter to you.
FD failures are talked about a lot, and damn expensive, but nobody has really been able to determine how widespread the actually are.
the ignition ring was probably changed, that was a recall.  Mine also had some sort of recall done on throttle cables last time I was in, I dunno, I didn't have a problem, they just changed em out.
Earlier they had issues with the airbox & programming to correct that snatchy throttle mentioned.  Its pretty well sorted with the latest software upgrade.
You may consider a boosterplug if you find its an issue for you personally

oh, and mpg is all about the twist of the wrist.  I can get as much as 50 mpg riding solo and going easy on it.  I know some guys get as low as 38, seeing WOT more often.
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '03 BMW K1200RS - "Red Flash"'
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3138

My Photo Gallery

ATGATT for an avatar shot?!?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 11:35:11 PM »

Life with slant fours is good.  My '03 K1200RS is a generation behind the '06 GT but close enough (ridden one on an extended demo).  I regularly ride with a friend with an '07 R1200RT and I have to remember he has less power and torque... heh, heh, heh.  The GT is a little more upright and more about fast touring for two while the RS was more about leaning forward and fast touring for one.  

Compared to the RT's, the GT is turbine smooth.  Even my RT-owning buddy admits as much after riding my KRS.  They do shake and make "rocks in a box" noises at idle but that stops about the time your feet come up onto the pegs.  Dunno why this is so but they really all do that.   Headscratch  

Life with BMW is never cheap - it's just a fact of life.  But keep the bike properly maintained and you'll get excellent value for the money spent.  

Mileage... somewhere around 40 MPG while touring fast, 45+ while touring on back roads, 36-40 MPG in daily traffic.  Somewhat less if you just have to twist the loud handle a lot.   Bigsmile

Still looking for the best t-shirt to plagiarize a .sig from...
Marin Phil

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2013 BMW K1300S 30 Ann Ed. 2004 K1200GT-Not as finiky as the next gen GT, 2009 Triumph Sprint ST-sold. Pacific Blue.Sold both-2006 BMW K1200GT/ 2005 Ducati 999-the Italian Mistress
GPS: San Rafael, Ca.
Miles Typed: 94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 11:06:02 AM »

I have had both.  The second gen GT  (2006>)is completely different from previous gen-RS/GT.  The "06 GT is a inline 4-sim to Japanese 4's, and the older gen was the Brick-flat 4.   Different rider position, ergos, brakes (servo assisted), FD, etc..
I had my '06 fro 3 years. While a nice ride, BMW released it too soon before getting the problems addressed.  5 upgrades to ECU, for various issues.  Claimed lifetime FD fluid-changed to service interval, with no drain hole.  Mine had EST-adjustable suspension.  If it goes, and some do-$2500+labor.  Don't get me wrong, it was a great bike but with many problems.  I sold mine with 36k and the servo was acting up+$2000 for a new servo unit.  The "06>08 GT's was problem plagued, bmw dropped servo-assisted to more traditional in"07.  I would recommend staying away from '06>08.  The upgraded -no real hp change, but most bugs cleared up was the K1300GT.  Oh, and I forgot to mention the previous gen rs/gt did not have Can-Bus.  If you don't know what that is be thankful....

2009 Triumph Sprint ST  Pacific Blue-sold
2004 BMW K12 GT.  So much better than the '06 2nd gen GT.
2013 BMW K1300S-30 Ann Ed.
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '03 BMW K1200RS - "Red Flash"'
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3138

My Photo Gallery

ATGATT for an avatar shot?!?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:53:46 PM »

Yep - BMW's are all crap.  Makes ya wonder how they survive long enough to leave the dealers.  Rolleyes  

Still looking for the best t-shirt to plagiarize a .sig from...
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5766

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »

I don't think there are enough problems with this model to warrant much concern.  An inspection by a good BMW dealer would be worth the money, but I think the reliability should be fine.
Roadscum

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 07:46:55 PM »

I don't think there are enough problems with this model to warrant much concern.  An inspection by a good BMW dealer would be worth the money, but I think the reliability should be fine.

I agree and have made the '06 KGT mine. It was a dealer sale, both the 16K and annual service were done after it was taken in on a trade..... also new PR2's front and rear.  

Thanks all of you for your comments, it was a big help 2 me.

Regards, Paul
Marin Phil

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2013 BMW K1300S 30 Ann Ed. 2004 K1200GT-Not as finiky as the next gen GT, 2009 Triumph Sprint ST-sold. Pacific Blue.Sold both-2006 BMW K1200GT/ 2005 Ducati 999-the Italian Mistress
GPS: San Rafael, Ca.
Miles Typed: 94

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »

Yep - BMW's are all crap.  Makes ya wonder how they survive long enough to leave the dealers.  Rolleyes  

That's not what I said fella.  OP asked specifically about "2006" model and I gave him my advice since i had owned one for 4 years.  The previous gen Brick is a great bike-I just acquired another one.   Twofinger

2009 Triumph Sprint ST  Pacific Blue-sold
2004 BMW K12 GT.  So much better than the '06 2nd gen GT.
2013 BMW K1300S-30 Ann Ed.
Roadscum

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 07:51:23 AM »

....................................... ....  The previous gen Brick is a great bike-I just acquired another one.   Twofinger

No doubt, I had an '02 K12RS for a few years and now keep a '95 K11RS in Heidelberg for summer get-a-ways to Europe. Life is good in the golden years!!  Bigok

Regards, Paul
FizDog74

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2005 FZ1 , 2014 Pirate Ship
GPS: Ellicott City Maryland
Miles Typed: 978

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 09:23:08 AM »

I agree and have made the '06 KGT mine.

Congrats Paul!  Bigok
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5766

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 09:41:47 AM »

Post some pictures already!  Bigok  Congrats!
BruceWA

Reputation 0

Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 01:22:24 PM »

Well here is my informed $0.02  Thumbsup.  Bought my 06 K1200GT used with 6k on the odo in July 07, it now has about 42k and has had no issues that were of a reliabilty nature.  It has served me well and is way fun to ride.  In fact I was at Ride West BMW having my 04 RT serviced and decided to test ride the new R1200RT, impressive, then I thought I'd take a spin on the GT, WOW, the power and motor made me smile Inlove.  But I left there w/o one, wasn't willing to part with that much cash Headscratch.  But I was spoiled and started looking for a used one, only a few around at that time.  But I got lucky and found one not 4 miles from where I was staying at the time, a short test ride had me dolling out the cash  Smile
Once the surging was cured with a ECU update it has run great.  But as others have noted the cost of ownership is, IMO, more than the big four.  The biggest draw back for ME now is the dealer network, more have closed in the last few years and the nearest one to me is about 130 miles.  It does go through tires, but that is relly not a bike issue, more a riding style one, IMO.

Have had no regrets in buying it but the future may not have me on a BMW again because of the dealer network.  
Dave.TX

Reputation -4

Motorcycles: 2008 BMW K1200GT
GPS: Elgin, TX (near Austin)
Miles Typed: 87

My Photo Gallery

Whippersnapper

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 06:07:30 PM »

Congratulations, Paul, on getting the GT. I just got one myself yesterday. First BMW for me, came off a Yamaha FZ6. Big step up. Enjoy the ride, I know I am.

Here's mine:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/kawika512/K1200GT/2012-04-15_12-38-31_43.jpg

Taggart: *LePetomaine Thruway*? Now what'll that asshole think of next?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal