Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Suggestions for an affordable, protective boot  (Read 9205 times)

crispiegee1

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2001 Yamaha YZF600R; 1974 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado
GPS: Buffalo, NY
Miles Typed: 1227

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2012, 02:16:05 pm »

So you may recall that I got a pair of Sidi boots on closeout. Great looking, but - unfortunately - too bloody narrow for my D-width foot.

Can anyone suggest any $200-or-less boots that provide good protection?

I've been looking for another pair of AlpineStars, but can't find a decent sale price. Who's got the deals?
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

GvG

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: STR
GPS: The Netherlands (aka Holland)
Miles Typed: 207

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 05:16:24 am »

I've always found TCX (formerly Oxtar) to be a lot of value for money. Their s-sportour model is around $200,  but I don't know the width.
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:16:53 pm »

Aerostich Combat Lite Boots do it for me.  The docs say C or D width (somewhat loose on this point because of how the buckle system works).  They're not the cheapest boot made, but they do hold up and they are comfortable once you've worn them for a while to loosen them up.  

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Advertisement

sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 12:52:25 pm »

+1 on the Aerostitch Combat Lites.  I've had mine for several years and they are still doing fine.  I had Oxtars before that and they were a good, solid boot.

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
crispiegee1

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 01:43:22 pm »

I found the Aerostitch, though $250-300 was higher than I wanted and didn't have the sport features (reinforcement) I had hoped to get.

I have been leaning in favor of the TCX S-Sportour waterproof boot ($239), which is still more expensive than I wanted, but seems to have a good price/performance ratio. It's touring oriented, but still has reinforcement all around the boot.

Another one that I found on clearance is the TCX S-Zero (waterproof), which is their entry level track boot. I found it for $188 on closeout, which is a $40 savings over the S-Sportour.  On the other hand, I'm not sure if it's a bit too stiff to walk around in.  After all, when you tour, you tend to stop for sightseeing, so I wouldn't want to sacrifice comfort.

I wish cash wasn't such a scarcity lately.
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »

What reinforcement is a problem?  Once CTB's and CLB's are cinched up and laced up, you're in there.   Headscratch

Look at these boots as an investment.  Other boots may cost less up front but how long do they last?  So, two sets of low end boots or one set of forever boots?  I'm just sayin'...

crispiegee1

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 02:20:27 pm »

What reinforcement is a problem?  Once CTB's and CLB's are cinched up and laced up, you're in there.   Headscratch

Look at these boots as an investment.  Other boots may cost less up front but how long do they last?  So, two sets of low end boots or one set of forever boots?  I'm just sayin'...

That's a fair question about value, and I guess my answer is that I don't perceive the value of the more expensive boots. I paid $200 for my Alpinestars, and they've lasted for 11 years. So if I paid $300 and gotten 15 years out of something else, would I feel better about myself? Perhaps, but after 11 years, I think I want something fresh on my feet.

That's my preference.

By the way, I'm anti-acronym, so please feel free to elaborate on what CTB's and CLB's are.  Bigsmile
sagerat

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 04:10:27 pm »

CTB = Combat Tour Boots (full length boot)
CTL = Combat Touring Lites (calf length boot)

crispiegee1

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 04:24:45 pm »

Just broke some toes on my right foot a few minutes ago, so I may put the purchase off for a few more weeks.   Mad2
bomber

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 04:30:44 pm »

When I needed to replace an adged pair of boots used mostly for commuting (ease of putting on and removal is important here, for me), I went to NewEnough, er, Motorcycle Gear dot com  and called up boots --

I had many choices in a huge range of prices, and found some Alpinstars that suited my requirements down to the ground . . . . .

Great folks, outstanding service and many choices . . . .

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 06:06:24 pm »

Aerostich Combat Lite Boots do it for me.  The docs say C or D width (somewhat loose on this point because of how the buckle system works).  They're not the cheapest boot made, but they do hold up and they are comfortable once you've worn them for a while to loosen them up.  

Best boots I've ever had. +1.

Wear them damn near daily for 3 years now. Extraordinarily comfy once broken in well.

I may go for the tall ones next time.

halloween over.
sagerat

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 06:10:23 pm »

Just broke some toes on my right foot a few minutes ago, so I may put the purchase off for a few more weeks.   Mad2

Let's hope it's not from a motorcycle crash.  Heal fast in all events.

RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 08:41:26 pm »

Sorry to hear that (not as sorry you, though, I guess).   Can I interest you in a line of steel-toed safety boots?   Wink

Mr.Black

Reputation 153

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 GSF1250
GPS: 01543
Miles Typed: 18512

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 09:04:33 pm »

Also, BILT has some nice stuff and it might be worth cruising by the closest CycleGear store to check them out.

The BILT line of boot from Cycle Gear has been discussed. It is very inexpensive, seems to be decent BUT it is an odd fit. I tried them on and they were very tight. If you have a certain type foot they could be a possibility for you.

Sig lines used to be fun.
squeezer
Squirrelly Geezer

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 16 Tiger XR(x)
GPS: The OC
Miles Typed: 5553

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 09:27:36 pm »

Just broke some toes on my right foot a few minutes ago, so I may put the purchase off for a few more weeks.   Mad2

Oh, man, that sucks. Broken toes hurt like hell. And instead of sympathy, people laugh at you.

Stay off them as much as you can and heal well. You have sympathy from me.

Dang. I missed Ed's birthday again.
IBA, AMA, AARP
crispiegee1

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 11:26:32 pm »

Oh, man, that sucks. Broken toes hurt like hell. And instead of sympathy, people laugh at you.

Stay off them as much as you can and heal well. You have sympathy from me.

I appreciate the sympathy immensely, though if you knew me, you'd probably be laughing like the others. (It sometimes is the best medicine, after all!)

I was splitting a log this afternoon to throw in the fireplace. It was about 14 inches in diameter and I should have used the log splitter, but I thought, "The axe will be faster and if I hit it hard enough, I will probably bust it apart in one or two swings."

And that's exactly what happened. Unfortunately, one half flew off the chopping block extremely fast and hard (and heavy), striking my (STUPIDLY!) sneaker clad foot. I was afraid my neighbor across the street might have been looking out his window at that moment, so I stifled my usually f-bomb laden tirade, and tried to hobble to the garage to exhale heavily.   Wow

If you aren't laughing at me yet, it gets better, because I had to take my motorcycle to my parents for dinner, before heading up to church for music practice. Why didn't I take the car? Well, the other day, I was on the highway and saw a large piece of road debris (it was actually a piece off a tow truck) too late to avoid it. I ran over it and mangled my front valence panel, which is now dangling under the car. (Since I have a home office, I haven't needed to fix it.)

You know, the motorcycling was actually pretty easy, except for a couple times in corners where I curled my toes. (Never realized I did that!)  The pain just about sent me into orbit.  Oh, and a couple times I lightly touched my right foot to the ground when I was stopped. YOWWWW!!   Crazy

I'm back home now and I won't be leaving the house at all tomorrow.
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 03:23:04 am »

Dude that sucks but I'm glad you're OK. That must've hurt like a MF.

At least it didn't hit you in the face, I worked with an old deaf guy years ago who was splitting logs with a maul and wedge, he whacked it, and the wedge flew up in his face and hit him smack between the eyes.
He looked like a raccoon for weeks. 2 black eyes and he said he thought his nose might be broken.

It was. So toes is the better choice.

That wedge could have killed Scotty.  Sad  I felt bad for him, but this dude was accident prone. He came in one night with his thumb all bandaged up, I asked me what the hell he did this time, and told me he put an 1/8 drill bit through his thumbnail with a power drill. Right through the whole top of his thumb.

I saw it.  Crazy Crazy Crazy Sad

halloween over.
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 05:03:17 am »

ouch.

But TCX Infinity boots are good.

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
crispiegee1

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 09:54:42 am »

Dude that sucks but I'm glad you're OK. That must've hurt like a MF.

At least it didn't hit you in the face, I worked with an old deaf guy years ago who was splitting logs with a maul and wedge, he whacked it, and the wedge flew up in his face and hit him smack between the eyes.
He looked like a raccoon for weeks. 2 black eyes and he said he thought his nose might be broken.

It was. So toes is the better choice.

Thanks for the story, Con. It's actually a good reminder that I should be really careful about my face too! I usually wear safety glasses when using the axe, but maybe I should put on an old motorcycle helmet!  Lol  (I can only imagine what the neighbors would think then.)   Nuts

But seriously, in light of what COULD happen, I'll take my toes over an injury to my face or even hands.

That wedge could have killed Scotty.  Sad  I felt bad for him, but this dude was accident prone. He came in one night with his thumb all bandaged up, I asked me what the hell he did this time, and told me he put an 1/8 drill bit through his thumbnail with a power drill. Right through the whole top of his thumb.

I saw it.  Crazy Crazy Crazy Sad

Oh yuck! Yuck yuck yuck!!   Hurl Hurl Hurl
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 10:05:25 am »

An often overlooked option is Triumph boots.  I have two different pairs - one for commuting/day-use, one for touring.  My touring ones have lasted quite a long time.  If you find the older model boots, they are often on sale compared to the newer Alipinestar/Triumph ones.

Here is a link.  These are very similar to my touring boots.  $160 on sale.  - http://www.british-customs.com/triumph-tri-tex-waterproof-riding-boots.html

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal