Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Will lots of half-mile trips destroy my bike?  (Read 4592 times)

sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 10

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5580

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 12:44:14 PM »

Go big:  tell them to come to your office or else no mtg; you might agree to use skype or the phone if you were in a generous mood that day.

Oh, and don't forget to make them kneel and kiss your ring as a gesture of fealty.

When they squawk, infrom the lowly curs that STN has spoken.   Razz

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
Dan K

Reputation 108

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '06 Triumph Sprint ST w/ ABS! '03 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 3811

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »

What about one of those motorized bicycles / mopeds?  That will save the sweat causing work and will be a little more unique (and less expensive) than a decent scooter...although I can say as a STUDENT at U of I I rode an old Honda scooter everywhere. Elite 80. Those things take serious abuse and keep ticking.

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K

airstash.com - check it out!
scott19

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2003 Suzuki SV1000N, 1985 Kawasaki GPz900R
GPS: Atlanta, Ga.
Miles Typed: 564

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 06:22:04 PM »

I hate to speak the unthinkable, but why not buy a beater car for the same $1000+ you'd spend on a scooter, then sell it later on. You'll thank me the first time you have to go to a meeting across town in a thunderstorm. Plus college presidents hate helmet hair.    
Leanintree
Waiting for #3...

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '95 GPZ1100, '02 Bandit600
GPS: Longmont ensconced, right on the edge of Kalirado
Miles Typed: 3412

My Photo Gallery

Bah. This year sucks.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 08:18:45 PM »

How wide are the sidewalks? Cross campus in 5 minutes if you cut through the library. Watch out for the hill by the hard corner down by the sciences building, it's decreasing radius.  Thumbsup

LT

'95 GPZ1100- The Almighty Geeper
'02 Bandit600 - Appropriate name pending
 ---Guns and bikes, peanut butter and jelly. See the comparison? One's just stickier.
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 105

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2012, 09:15:55 PM »

I'm also thinking an electric bicycle would be great---I've ridden one before, and it was awesome (if you didn't want to work up a sweat). Only problem is finding one for under $1K. Many I've checked out online are $2-3K.  EEK! I spent that much on my mountain bike...but don't want to plunk down that kind of $$$ for an electric bike...

Scott

An electric bicycle?  Dude!  Forget that shit!  That's got a big old red dot on it that says:  STEAL ME!   Lol

Pedal man, pedal!  Get a cheap bicycle at your local Performance Bicycle store for $300.  Get a lock for it. Done!

Rogue
Spanky

Reputation 34

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Kawasaki C- 14
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 697

My Photo Gallery

Dogs get it.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 11:58:38 PM »

Quit your job and go on a very long ride every day.

Problem solved.

You are welcome  Bigok

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.
IrishFazerBoy

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 82R65LS & 05FZ1
GPS: Long Island, NY
Miles Typed: 188

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 12:36:50 AM »

Electric Golf cart might be better if you're in a suit, esp in bad weather

Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 08:13:31 AM »

Hell, if you're as high up as you believe you are you should have access to a fleet vehicle.  Nobody should have to use their own wheels to get around at work.  If you do make sure you get mileage.   Bigsmile

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
Biking Sailor

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Couple of Guzzis, a Thruxton, and a KLR, and a bunch of the Kid's bikes
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 692

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 11:22:28 AM »

Get a Segway.  You can hit the sidewalks, they will classify you as hip and green, and you can even hold an umbrella while you ride it (after a bit of practice).

Of course I would prefer a KTM electric dirt bike, but they may frown on you wheeling down the sidewalk and they are not cheap!

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
schmii
"Issues" Lifetime Subscriber

Reputation 2

Years Contributed: '11
Motorcycles: Hondabago ST
GPS: Fraser Valley, BC
Miles Typed: 169

My Photo Gallery

Recalculating...

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »

Take the scenic route.  More riding is the answer.

Luck is like a rubber band... Longer you stretch it, harder it strikes back.
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Morgantown, WV
Miles Typed: 4133

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 12:52:46 PM »

Electric Golf cart might be better if you're in a suit, esp in bad weather

Yeah man! I'll be all the rage with my pimped-out golf cart!

Lol

Hell, if you're as high up as you believe you are you should have access to a fleet vehicle.  Nobody should have to use their own wheels to get around at work.  If you do make sure you get mileage.   Bigsmile

I might be able to swing this too. Only problem is, all the VP's just above me use their own cars for everything. (But they also make $50-100K more than I do.) WVU is notoriously cheap when it comes to stuff like this.  

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
MrsCablebandit
Purveyor of Cookies

Reputation 150

Motorcycles: Passenger on a Flying Pig ('10 C14)
GPS: Stormstown, PA
Miles Typed: 1141

My Photo Gallery

13,910 miles and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »

I might be able to swing this too. Only problem is, all the VP's just above me use their own cars for everything. (But they also make $50-100K more than I do.) WVU is notoriously cheap when it comes to stuff like this.  

Well then, the VPs above you are idiots...albeit richer-than-you idiots. Between CATA (the local transit authority), the Campus Shuttle, fleet vehicles, and Segways, I have plenty of get-around-campus options up here. I can't imagine that there aren't other transportation options available to you, particularly when universities are putting such an emphasis on sustainability. I would ask around, starting with your Transportation Services Department. They have fleet vehicles available for use by university departments. If your office is as removed as you say, it may make sense to have one stationed at your building for regular use.

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Miscellaneous musings, including ride reports and pictures.

"File away honey, you can't restrain the pretty!" - Spanky
akahige

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2003 Triumph Sprint ST
GPS: Utah, USA
Miles Typed: 66

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 02:24:49 PM »

Well then, the VPs above you are idiots...albeit richer-than-you idiots. Between CATA (the local transit authority), the Campus Shuttle, fleet vehicles, and Segways, I have plenty of get-around-campus options up here. I can't imagine that there aren't other transportation options available to you, particularly when universities are putting such an emphasis on sustainability. I would ask around, starting with your Transportation Services Department. They have fleet vehicles available for use by university departments. If your office is as removed as you say, it may make sense to have one stationed at your building for regular use.

Perhaps you should call a meeting to discuss it...
motomem

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: '02 BMW R1150RT (Damn fine bike)
GPS: Brighton, TN
Miles Typed: 744

My Photo Gallery

Gus "Well, I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy."

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »

What do you want 100,000 miles of the engine?
So what if the battery only last 2 years instead of 5.
Or that the starter dies at 5 years instead of 10.
Do whatever you want with it. It will be fine. Before they were Sunday Afternoon recreational vehicles - they were basic transportation.

Cliff - "You see Sammy, topless waitresses, scientific fact, they can deliver drinks faster than their clothed counterparts."
Dan K

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: '06 Triumph Sprint ST w/ ABS! '03 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 3811

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 03:18:11 PM »

I would also ride it of none of the above work for you.  Motorcycle works fine for short trips - and if it wears out a bit early and needs a starter or new battery, so what? Gets you where you need to get.

I like the idea of a scooter or moped though.  THose bicycles with the 1hp motors attached?  Always wanted one and would suit your needs perfectly.

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K

airstash.com - check it out!
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Morgantown, WV
Miles Typed: 4133

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 05:41:39 PM »

You have Segways at Penn State???  EEK! I don't know whether to laugh or be very jealous!  Bigsmile We do have fleet vehicles...I just need to see about getting one for myself---our existing fleet is constantly being used by our news people and video producers. (Who---yes---are beneath me, so I could technically order them all to walk...but...)

Do whatever you want with it. It will be fine. Before they were Sunday Afternoon recreational vehicles - they were basic transportation.

Clap Beerchug

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5755

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »

Buy an RT so you can use the electronic cruise control.
Gnigma

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '03 Moto Guzzi Cali EV, '82 Kawasaki KZ750 M1 twin, "82 Virago 920, "90 Suzuki VX800
GPS: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Miles Typed: 17

My Photo Gallery

"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves." RAW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 06:57:32 PM »

I don't think this is much of a problem. For one thing, are you ONLY riding on these 1/2 mile trips? Nowadays you don't even have to wait for most engines to warm up--- if it starts, you can ride it (or drive it, for that matter.) Anyway, 4 half mile trips a day for a year only equals like 730 miles in a year. If that's all you're riding, ride a bicycle, or a moped, or a scooter. It wouldn't even have to be a good scooter--- a $1000 Chinese plastic scooter would be fine. BUT, if you just WANT to ride your bike, the short hop mileage is only going to be a fraction of your weekly mileage, anyway, or you'd be the most different biker I ever knew of.  Just get good oil. Change it more often, if it worries you.  Wink

Jim

I wasn't BORN with this attitude--- somebody GAVE it to me.
Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: Versys Adventure
GPS: So Cal
Miles Typed: 5294

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 07:30:49 PM »

Your exhaust system will be the first thing to go.

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
                                      - William Shakespeare
FJRmgm

Reputation 15

Miles Typed: 1738

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 12:07:28 PM »

I would ride the Wee.  

I understand it's not the best thing to do to a vehicle, but I really don't think it'll be a big problem with regular maintenance.  I think the damage may be more academic and theoretical than anything if you're not planning on doing this for more than half a decade.

If you can't walk or use a bicycle, I certainly wouldn't blow money on another vehicle - which is exactly what you're trying to avoid in the first place.

+1 to this...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal