Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: A Black Art  (Read 1282 times)

Flyer
Just put me back up on the bike.

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi Tre Volumetrica "Lampo Bianco", Kona NuNu "The Slug", Colnago C50 "La Spada di Cambiago", Kona Jake the Snake.
GPS: "O Canada, We Stand On Cars and Freeze"
Miles Typed: 6784

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2012, 07:14:42 PM »

Expanding horizons is Good.
Occasionally, this means reading other than ST.net for a moment.

From OneWheelDrive:
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2012/03/19/ktm-990-adventure-r-versus-google-navigation/

To pull this off, I need a pace that is a high rolling average, rather than a flat out haul. A roadside stop talking to the local constabulary would slow things down considerably, so I set the pace to quick but not attention grabbing.

To even speak of the Black Art of the High Rolling Average (HRA) may ruin a long, lucky spell of no "performance awards".

But here goes:
1. Keep your stock exhaust. I love the sound of a wailin' Akropovic as much as the next piston-head, but not many LEOs are piston-heads.
2. Ten over, only when safe to do so. Twenty over only when you actually ARE a LEO.  Bigsmile
3. Obey all the rules, all the time, with exception as noted in 2 above.
    Hand signals are best. They show any LEOs that do spot you that you know what you're doing. It suprises and mystifies everybody else, which makes you visible and possibly addled and hence, to be avoided.
4. Instead of drinking diuretics (Red Bull, coffee, tea, or sodas/pop), try chewing ginseng root instead . Washroom breaks eat into the HRA quickly, unpredicatbly and often. As noted in the article above, stops lead to  
    questions, like "What kind of Harley is that?". Never argue with the ignorant; it's a guaranteed time killer.

Have you got #5?
Are ya feelin' lucky, punk??
 Bigsmile

“Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it".   Flannery O'Connor.
CLAY
formerly known as CLAY

Reputation 167

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '03 B12S, 1979 XS650 Street Tracker, 97 XR650L 1975 Yamaha XS650
GPS: Grand Rapids, MI
Miles Typed: 8950

My Photo Gallery

Dean of Zombie University

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »

Keep hydrated, but not too much.  Long time in the saddle =quicker dehydration.  A camel-back in the tank bag is awesome.

"Well I don't think Clay would make up some story.  He seems to be a pretty honest and sadistic guy to me."  -county
"This a'int high school, this is St.n. God help the meek"  -Kneescrubber
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 10

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5611

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:47:21 PM »

Female riding buddys has a debit or credit card on an elastic cord that's lashed, but secured, to the outside of her jacket.  She found the card-sized plastic holder and cord at a fly-fishing place and puts her gas card in it instead of a fishing license.  That way she doesn't have to rummage through a pocket or tank bag to get at the card.  Workd for her on her Iron Butt.  Cool

Pack trail mix or granloa bars and that way you can eat on your own schedule and not that of your minimum-wage server and cook who may or may not be on their A game.   Bigsmile

Often it's easier to minimize your delays when the bike is stopped than increase your speed when the bike is rolling to get a better HRA.

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 87

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 950 SMR / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 5687

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:31:47 AM »

So what exactly is considered a high rolling average? If I stay on twisty two lane highways in WV, my GPS usually claims about a 50-55 MPH moving average. Note that I'm usually doing about 65-70 MPH (actual per GPS) on a 55 MPH speed limit and taking the twisties at double the suggested limit (50+ in a marked 25).

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
http://www.motoroads.net
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 44

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4785

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »

HRA??

Well, having Electronic Curse Control is a real good thing if you want to keep the rolling average high. Most folks tend to speed up and slow down a lot, having the bike automatically hold the given set speed overrides the issue.

Camel back is nice but tends to get heavy on the shoulders after several hours, but still better than gulping down a bottle every fuel stop. Having a hydration system set up on the bike, (remote/bottle/bag, what have you) you can have a sip now and again is a real time saver. Think if you slam down a bottle of water at a stop, how soon are you going to need to stop and pee? Now compare that to the rider who slowly sips away (evenly not all at once). Yes, it does cut down on sudden restroom stops.

Carrying all food you intend to eat on the road, (jerky, fruit, power bars, granola with M&Ms, ect.) saves the stop and eat at roadside diners or worse yet gas station/quickie mart.

Having audio helps a lot, music is good but audio books really keep your mind awake. When your mind is active your body will tire less.

Having a high average speed is all about not stopping and when you do how to make it quick.

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
chilipeppernorm

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 08 GS Adventure
GPS: Grand Island, California Delta
Miles Typed: 559

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 03:02:07 AM »

I ride in the direction that promises the greatest enjoyment, at whatever pace suits me at any given time, take breaks as often and for as long as it takes to refresh me, and at the end of the day seek great food and beverage and a clean warm bed. Repeat as needed, all else doesn't matter a damn.  

"I have found that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them" 
Mark Twain
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: MTS1200ST, V-Strom 1000, '94 Yamaha GTS1000, 2 Honda VF700F's
GPS: E.R. Burroughs Ranch, aka Tarzana, California
Miles Typed: 2819

My Photo Gallery

Lane-Sharing Saved My Life!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 04:31:40 AM »

I ride in the direction that promises the greatest enjoyment, at whatever pace suits me at any given time, take breaks as often and for as long as it takes to refresh me, and at the end of the day seek great food and beverage and a clean warm bed. Repeat as needed, all else doesn't matter a damn.  

+1  Thumbsup

"I actually felt G-Forces in my face fat" - Streetbike Tommy
timdow

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2008 FJR1300A
GPS: San Diego
Miles Typed: 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »

Yep.

-Tim

Not all those who wander are lost. -JRR Tolken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal