Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Triumph Tiger Explorer test ride.  (Read 3523 times)

Davy F.
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure
GPS: Northern Ireland
Miles Typed: 164

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2012, 04:24:19 AM »

Today was just the best day to take Triumphs new Tiger Explorer out and put her through her paces.  On firing her up. the engine settles into a lovely mechanical whirr and it just sounds so much nicer than the likes of the ubiquitous inline four. There's just something so right about how Triumph can make their triples sound. Throwing my leg over to bring it off the sidestand was pretty easy and straddling the big Explorer, the first thing I noticed is how well balanced it seems. Now this is one heavy bike, heavier than the BMW 1200GS, but it hides its weight well. I snicked her into first gear, very quietly I may add, and off I went. The throttle being 'ride by wire' is very sensitive and if you are a bit ham fisted, you could end up po-going and lurching about back and forth. It doesn't take long to get the feel of how responsive the throttle is tho' and soon enough, I didn't have to think about not having a cable to pull. The gearbox also has to be praised. It has to be one of the best gearboxes I've ever had the pleasure of using, so smooth. It also helped to have a brilliant shaft drive set-up. It is super smooth also and I felt no backlash at all or any clunking like I have on the 12GS BM. It also looks much more robust than the BM offering and I'll bet that Triumph won't have the warranty claims that many GS owners will be familiar with.

Out onto the open road and I quickly settled in for a couple of hours saddle time. The engine pulls beautifully strong it seems anywhere in the rev range. It didn't matter if I was tootling in sixth gear at 20 mph or winding her on using the revs, this big girl just pulls and pulls. There's no lack of power (a claimed 135 bhp and 89lbs. ft torque), nor did I detect any flat spots throughout the range. Neither did I seem to suffer from any intrusive vibration and I was most impressed with how the engine performs. I took it off road down a gravelly track and into a field for a hoon around. The tyres are more suited to tarmac and you do notice the weight when you're sliding around on grass and I'm also very glad I didn't come a cropper as I wouldn't fancy having to lift her back onto its wheels.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu93/Davy_F/P42600651280x960.jpg
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu93/Davy_F/P42600631280x960.jpg

Sense took over and I got back onto the road. Accelerating hard had the traction control cutting the power (another advantage of the ride by wire is it enables Triumph to add traction control and cruise control). It can be switched off, but I didn't want to waste any time trying to learn all the different settings you can programme into the bike as my time was limited. The instruments are very comprehensive with a good clear digital display for everything bar the rev counter.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu93/Davy_F/P42600641280x960.jpg
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu93/Davy_F/P42600621280x960.jpg

The suspension front and back is by KYB with the front only having preload and the rear having (remote) preload and rebound. Personally, I'm not one who really mucks about with suspension settings and tend to just get on with the factory settings. Initially, I found the handling to be a tad on the heavy side and it didn't feel like it had the general ease of handling like the venerable GS has. Maybe this is down to the extra weight it's carrying over the BMW, but it's no way unpleasant and the longer I spent in the saddle, the better it got. And speaking of saddles, Triumph have possibly given all the new Explorer owners a seat that doesn't destroy your butt within 50 miles. This could be the bike that the likes of Sargent, Corbin etc. don't need to invest in developing a decent riders perch. Plus Triumph also do a comfort saddle as well amongst the many other accessories available for the Explorer. As for the brakes, well, they are excellent with loads of power (and ABS), but they do highlight the amount of dive in the front forks when used hard.

To sum up, the Triumph Explorer is aimed fair and square at the R1200GS and in virtually all respects, they have hit the mark and the ubiquitous BMW now has a serious rival. There's lots to like about this big Triumph and it comes across as a very high quality item. The only minor thing that I didn't like was the handlebars which felt too wide, too low and slightly too far forward. But I'm sure that those could easily be changed and that's about all I feel I would need to do to this bike to make it as perfect a bike as I would ever need. Yes, it could be lighter, but once moving, that weight disappears. It'll be interesting to compare it to the Honda CrossTourer when it becomes available, but I feel that this bike has been thoughtfully designed and is not entering the Adventure class just to steal a couple of sales from BMW. It won't outsell the beemer tho' as that bike is just too well established and its image too well imprinted on peoples minds (thanks Ewan and Charlie). But by heck, Triumph have down a marvellous job in bringing their latest masterpiece to the market and deserve to do well.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu93/Davy_F/P42600671280x960.jpg

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast !
Kraz
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Uly.
GPS: LA - Lower Alabama
Miles Typed: 1629

My Photo Gallery

I don't ride much.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:21:10 AM »

Awesome write up!

I wonder what the USA price will be...
vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2863

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 07:31:12 AM »

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
Rincewind

Reputation 122

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: BMW F700GS
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 13696

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 07:44:15 AM »

Awesome write up!

I wonder what the USA price will be...

$15,699.

Thanks for another great write-up, Smeggy!  It sure looks like a R1200GS from some angles, and makes your Versys look a bit small.  
Scratch33

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, 2x'10
Motorcycles: '08 R1200GSA, '09 DD750, '07 F800S, '10 Madass 125
GPS: That Other Place
Miles Typed: 12394

My Photo Gallery

His Excellency's Car!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »

I'm interested in knowing whether it has more legroom compared to the 1050.

All Your Forum Are Belong to VS
crispiegee1

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2001 Yamaha YZF600R; 1974 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado
GPS: Buffalo, NY
Miles Typed: 1214

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 02:34:23 PM »

Great write-up, Smeggy! Very good read.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu93/Davy_F/P42600631280x960.jpg

Amazing to think that THIS is where you get to ride when you walk out your door. Looks like paradise.
vulcanbill
This IS me smiling.

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '13 XT250 only
GPS: Martinsburg, WV
Miles Typed: 2863

My Photo Gallery

newbie prepper

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 02:35:45 PM »

Why do you think he's always smiling and dancing around in circles?   Bigsmile

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.  Garzeerah!
radon222

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: '05 R1150GS Adv, '12 R1200RT
GPS: Pasadena, MD
Miles Typed: 287

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 03:54:45 PM »

Yes!!   Based on few minutes sitting on the one at the IMS DC show I can honestly say leg room was more in line the GS.  I'm pretty sure the seat was in the low position too.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31673116/IMAG0121.jpg

So if I found it fairly comfy.... you know who would be really happy.
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5762

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 04:35:11 PM »

I don't know the exact dimensions, but cycle-ergo shows that there's a little more leg room (and your legs are less bent back).  At the motorcycle show, it felt like there was more leg room than the 1050 to me - I much prefer the ergonomics of the Explorer.
bomber

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17278

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »

I don't know the exact dimensions, but cycle-ergo shows that there's a little more leg room (and your legs are less bent back).  At the motorcycle show, it felt like there was more leg room than the 1050 to me - I much prefer the ergonomics of the Explorer.

+1 -- the 800 sat better on the show floor . . . . I'd test an 800, but I'd rather not help a good boy go bad ;-}
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:46:59 PM by bomber » Logged

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 88

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 950 SMR / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 5720

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »

I am starting to ponder what my next bike will be (next season perhaps) and a road-biased adventure-touring bike that is good for two-up is what I'd be looking for. This new Tiger looks to hit all the right checkboxes for me (aside from weight). Looks like I'll have to visit our Triumph/BMW dealer this summer once the Explorer ships to the USA and do a head-to-head test ride against the GS. I have a few friends with GS's, so getting an extended test ride on them (with SWMBO on back) should be no problem.

Thanks for the review! Good stuff!

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
http://www.motoroads.net
Davy F.
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 05:27:16 AM »

Sorry the pics have disappeared, but photobucket has suspended my account at the moment.  

Rincewind

Reputation 122

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: BMW F700GS
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 13696

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 12:49:42 PM »

I am starting to ponder what my next bike will be (next season perhaps) and a road-biased adventure-touring bike that is good for two-up is what I'd be looking for. This new Tiger looks to hit all the right checkboxes for me (aside from weight). Looks like I'll have to visit our Triumph/BMW dealer this summer once the Explorer ships to the USA and do a head-to-head test ride against the GS. I have a few friends with GS's, so getting an extended test ride on them (with SWMBO on back) should be no problem.

Thanks for the review! Good stuff!

I would include the Super Tenere in your considerations.  It is about the same weight as this Explorer unfortunately, but otherwise has many of the same features apart from the cruise control, optional heated seat, and megawatt capacity.  Plus the ST has a 6-gallon tank vs 5.3 gallon here, and it's over a grand less money.  

The Super Ten is particularly on my mind as STN'er Punchdude bought one earlier this year to replace his Tiger1050SE.  I just saw it Sunday - very nice bike, and he is quite smitten.  The Yamaha design flows a bit better than the angularity of the Triumph, imo.  Personally I would also consider the Stelvio.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:52:58 PM by Rincewind » Logged
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 88

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 950 SMR / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 5720

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »

I have yet to see an S10 in the flesh, er, metal, but it's on the radar screen...

I have a riding buddy with a GS that wants to get the new 1250GS next year, so buying his bike (30K miles) is the likely candidate. But I did love my Sprint RS and would like to have another triple in the stable at some point.

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
http://www.motoroads.net
Davy F.
Pro Goolie Fiddler

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 03:22:38 AM »

I have yet to see an S10 in the flesh, er, metal, but it's on the radar screen...

I test rode the S10 two years ago now. From memory, the engine felt a tad bland, but it handled and braked very nicely. The looks, well, it kinda grows on you. I really wanted the S10 to be a great bike, but it's (IMO) merely a good bike. It'll be more reliable than a GS but it doesn't have the character of the GS. Oh, and the seat, for me, was awful. I'd have the Explorer over the S10 any day. I also sat on the new Honda CrossTourer a few days ago and will be taking it out soon for a test ride. It looks nice, very high quality and no doubt will ride well with that creamy V4 motor.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal