Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Is a WR250 as fun as it looks?  (Read 9694 times)

sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 10

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5610

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »

I sold the KLR, but loved all the off-road places we went.  I have hankered for another, but I do recall all the fun I had pulling that beast back upright.  I had a lot of practice, ahem.  On a long hot ride with more than one get off in the sand, I swear that bike gained 20 pounds with each pick up.  

There are great USFS and BLM roads within as short as 20 minutes and as long as an hour from me.  So I only need to drone on the highway for about an hour, worst case scenario.  I'm not all that fast off-road (example:  well-groomed gravel road that would have kurtw zipping along at a 60 mph doing a wheelie while alternating leafing through a tech manual and shooting gorgeous photos, I'd be doing about 35-40mph on the Kawi) so puttering about is fine.  I don't think I'd find a 250 underpowered, and I definitely enjoy its lighter weight on the two-track.  The most I did on the Kawi was Jeep trails, so ability to single-track is not a requirement.

My three concerns about a 250:  1) I'm 6'1" and 210 so it may too cramped.  2) What's the range on one of these guys as the KLR and the GSA have made me utterly carefree from a fuel standpoint.  3) And finally, will it have enough oomph to drag my north of svelte self through the woods and up to say a forest lookout or microwave tower.  TIA

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »

The people that have them over on ADVRider seem to love them.  There's a Megathread with over 27,000 replies and almost 4 million views to back that up.  Bigger fuel tanks are plentiful and seem to be a common mod because the stock range is kind of small.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
1000lbs

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 12 Street Triple r, 08 WR250r, 12 CBR250r
GPS: Cathedral City, CA
Miles Typed: 865

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 02:23:09 PM »

Yes they are as fun as they look.  I made the move from a DR650 to a WR250 for reasons simialar to your description of your KLR.   I had no idea how hard I was working to move the big 650 in the soft sand, until I made the switch.

To address your Concerns.

1.  I'm 5'9" 195lbs and find it pretty roomy.  Plenty of leg room for my 32" inseam and enough room front to back to allow shifting weight for conditions.  At 6'1" you'd likely be alright.

2.  Range with the stock tank is limited.  I don't remember the stock capacity, but at an avg 60 mpg (which is being cautious) it would cover about 110-120 miles max.  I opted for the 3.1 gal IMS tank which makes me feel confident for 150+ miles between stops.  You could also get a rotopax or similar gas can for the side or back.  I have a 2 gal rotopax that will let me cover 250 miles between stops if needed.

3.  No problem in the power department.  I weighed about 215 when I picked mine up.  They make power in the higher rev range so it does have a different feel then the big thumpers.  Even with the stock gearing I've had no problem with climbs or deep sand ascents.

They are also surprisingly good on the highway.  I cruise at 70mph on a regular basis.  The 6th gear seems pretty tall, not really upto inclines at hwy speed.

In the first year and about 2,500 miles I'm pretty happy with mine.

The coolest thing on four wheels is still two motorcycles.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh247/tbone02001/VisitedStatesMap.jpg
1Arm

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: '07 VFR '09 Versys '11 WR250R
GPS: Portland OR
Miles Typed: 226

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »

What he said /\

Lots of guys in the aforementioned ADV thread quite a bit heavier than you find the ergos and oomph more than sufficient.  At 5'11" and 175lbs its plenty roomy and has all the gitty-up I need.  I have less than 1k miles, no drops yet, but I suspect I'll be able to pick it up as often as necessary without permanent physical damage.

The stock 2 gal tank does suck, empties around 120 mi.  I just put the 4.7 gal IMS on a couple of days ago, should give me all the range I need to get around the most lonesome parts of Oregon.

I can see the fun factor on the WR being high enough that I won't even put the battery in the VFR or the Versys this summer.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2341/stn1a.jpg
servicerifle
Junior Post-Ho

Reputation -25

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 2868

My Photo Gallery

I DO MY OWN STUNTS!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:27:28 PM »

I'd say so.  I really like mine, though I haven't had the chance to really wring it out.

Wait until after this weekend, I'm taking mine to Shane Watts' school.  Hopefully I'll have some pics to post.
KLRchickie
Motorcycle Freak

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: '05 KLR 650, '06 Monster S2R1000, '08 WR250X
GPS: Calgary, AB, CA
Miles Typed: 1230

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »

To jump on this bandwagon, yes, the WR250 is a hoot.  We have a pair of WR250Xs with a set of dirt wheels for each.  The highest percentage of our time is spent with the street wheels on them, but we had the dirt wheels on for our trip to Moab last week.

A trip report hasn't been written for last week, but some of our adventures are documented on our webpage:
http://volkswagenhaven.net/triprep.html
The ones that include one or both WRs:
Motarding in the Kootenays 2009
Motards in Moab 2010
Kinbasket by Circumstance 2010
To Hell... and NWMF 2010
Moab, March 2011

If you read some of the above, you'll see we also do a fair bit of dirt travel on the street tires at times.  We also ride the local Kart Track with the local SuMo organization we're involved in getting off the ground.

I'm a confirmed KLR lover, but the WR wins when the going gets tough 100% of the time.  We also have the 3.1 gallon IMS tanks and did the 170km (100 mile, by the map) loop of White Rim Trail last week with plenty of fuel to spare.  By my calculations we should be able to go 250km (155 miles) on a tank of gas.

The responses above address the size issue.  ZED is 6'2" but only weighs about 180lb, he finds the little bugger quite comfy, though his rear shock has been re-done to suit his weight.  He also prefers helping me pick up my WR over helping me pick up my KLR.  There has been plenty of practice at that Lol

You shouldn't see the power as an issue, so long as you change sprockets.  In stock form it doesn't have enough power to use the top two gears hardly at all, with a bigger rear sprocket (or 12t front) it can happily redline all gears and still have enough top speed for some highway stretches.

Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »

Consensus seems to be to do gearing changes via the rear sprocket.  Going any smaller on the front might cause the chain to eat your swingarm slider and eventually the swingarm itself.

KLRchickie
Motorcycle Freak

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »

Consensus seems to be to do gearing changes via the rear sprocket.  Going any smaller on the front might cause the chain to eat your swingarm slider and eventually the swingarm itself.

We have one bike each way at present.  It is the one with the big rear sprocket that has eaten through its original chain guard, we noticed just in time and it only has a little shiny spot on one weld on the swingarm!

Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »

Most likely improper chain slack then.

KLRchickie
Motorcycle Freak

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »

Most likely improper chain slack then.

Probably Shrug

Seems a little odd, since we maintain both bikes in a similar fashion - but crap happens.  It is just an interesting data point to observe.

birdrunner

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4636

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 09:56:40 PM »

Probably Shrug

Seems a little odd, since we maintain both bikes in a similar fashion - but crap happens.  It is just an interesting data point to observe.

I'd be one of the bikes gets dropped a bit more often than the other.   Rolleyes

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
KLRchickie
Motorcycle Freak

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 10:40:22 PM »

Of course mine does

Your point?

1000lbs

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 12 Street Triple r, 08 WR250r, 12 CBR250r
GPS: Cathedral City, CA
Miles Typed: 865

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 12:03:08 AM »

Here is a video from last Sunday's ride in Joshua Tree NP's Southern back country to help you talk your self out of it  Wink .

About 135 miles round trip 60/40 dirt/pavement.  Most of the video is 2nd/3rd gear work 25-40mph running Dunlop 606's.  I'm not fast and don't try to be.  I'm still working on feeling "in control" of the bike in the soft stuff.  

The coolest thing on four wheels is still two motorcycles.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh247/tbone02001/VisitedStatesMap.jpg
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Tuono, KTMs
GPS: Bend, OR USA
Miles Typed: 1544

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »

Do it! The WR seems to be in a sweet spot of many of the Dualsport trade offs. Let's go for a ride when you have it!

Kurt's Smugmug
sagerat

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 03:44:12 PM »

I'm about 70% talked into a WR 250 instead of a DRZ 400.  Have to finish the house remodel and also put a new roof on Casa Russell before I go bike shopping, though.   Sad

What's worse is one of my "Bike of the Month" buddies is going through his usual pruning of the fleet to get his next "gotta have" and he keeps offering a sweet deal on his 2nd gen KLR, which looks like a rolling Happy Trails catalog.   Lol

"My name is sagerat, and I'm a KLR 650aholic."

expatbrit

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1235

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 11:53:34 AM »

I love mine, even at 6,000'. Haven't managed to dig into the budget and get the dirt wheels for it yet (it's an X) but that's definitely on the list. I'm geared way down, and looking forward to some summer time learning to ride dirt with the thing.

I'm 6'7, about 190 right now, with short legs (34" inseam). Fits fine.
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Tuono, KTMs
GPS: Bend, OR USA
Miles Typed: 1544

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 04:03:56 PM »

There is just so much great trail here that it's a crime not to have an offroad bike smaller than the KLR.  A 250 would nicely fill out the stable and open up so many more Central Orygun possibilities.

Kurt's Smugmug
sagerat

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »

I know; one of my dirt-riding buddies sold his KLR and  is know all hot and bothered by thoughts of getting a KLX 250.  A 250 enduro does make lots of sense for around here.   Thumbsup

I predict a WR250 will be in my garage by next summer.  Bigsmile

MuddDawg
Hooligan in training

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2000 VFR 800,2007 KTM 450 XCW,2008 KLX 140L (Son's)2002 XR100R (Daughter"s)
GPS: Western Wa
Miles Typed: 813

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 11:41:28 PM »

Not to practical in the dirt, but  would be a hoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYbiTKtlFd4&feature=related

Ack535

Reputation 75

Motorcycles: 1998 CBR1100XX, 2005 CRF250X, 05 FJR R.I.P.
GPS: Williamston MI USA
Miles Typed: 940

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »

I have been secretly desiring a WR250 for about a year now. I have to find a way to justify another bike to my wife...

Pete
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal