Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Ural thoughts after 8 years, ~28000 kms  (Read 5557 times)

Stoney

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R( Black)
GPS: Monroe, LA
Miles Typed: 10

My Photo Gallery

Have Bike, Will Travel

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 03:41:08 PM »

My vote is for with the sidecar, and 2wd Smile

I dunno, I'm really digging the styling on the non-sidecar version. Plus, I want one primarily for offroad. Despite the 2wd, I'm not entirely convinced that's a better option than just having two wheels.

Sagerat, you said you've used yours as a dual-sport before you got a purpose made one. How bad of an idea would it be to buy the Ural Solo with the intent of using it as a dual-sport? Would a 2wd be better?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:49:19 PM by Stoney » Logged

Live for adventure, die fulfilled.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 04:34:22 PM »

Although I'd prolly rip out the Rusky engine, and drop in a beemer r75 crate engine.

Is that a better way to go than to get a worn out r75, and drop in a Ural motor?

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
sodapop6620

Reputation 35

Motorcycles: ZREX
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 1615

My Photo Gallery

Screw Christmas

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »

maybe if it was 5 grand instead of 7200.

Wildcard Tag http://tinyurl.com/69dfzaa   Half my lies aren't true.

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. Dean Martin
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »

maybe if it was 5 grand instead of 7200.

So it is about the same price as a Royal Enfield.
Compared to that I think the Ural ST is a steal.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6096

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »

Is that a better way to go than to get a worn out r75, and drop in a Ural motor?

Yes, I'd rather have a beemer engine than a russian engine. Now as far as shaft drives ..  

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 10

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5609

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 07:00:42 PM »

Sagerat, you said you've used yours as a dual-sport before you got a purpose made one. How bad of an idea would it be to buy the Ural Solo with the intent of using it as a dual-sport? Would a 2wd be better?

I'd go 2WD, myself, instead of the ST.  See below for more blatherings on dual sporting with a Ural.

We rode our Urals on USFS roads and well-established two tracks.  Here's the deal about a hack off-pavement: your wheels never match up to those of a two track or the tracks in a gravel road (cue Linda Williams) as the width of the hack is so different from other vehicles.  The hacks are also rigid mounts, so it feels weird when you are trolling along and suddenly the hack is on the high side of the bike due to the camber of the road/two track or the topography.  Normally, you try to keep the bike above the hack, but sometimes that's not possible, so you just scoot your butt over as far as possible toward the hack; I've actually had to sit on the left edge of the hack, which is the side closest to the bike.  (The hack wheel and fender are on the right side of the sidecar.)  I've also stood on the pegs like you do on a dual sport.  Got stuck once and stood on the passenger pegs to power out.

The Urals don't have much engine compression and they weigh ~740 pounds, so on a steep downhill the front can plow instead of turning if you get too much momentum, but you never have to worry about falling.  We did climb shallowly sloped banks when a road conked out on us due to deadfall.  Shh, don't tell the enviros.

The ST can do gravel roads and probably two track with extreme care.  But remember it has no skid plate and the mufflers on both a sidecar and the ST hang pretty low.  There are aftermarket high pipes for the sidecars.  Think of the ST as either a 1970s airhead Beemer or a UJM or UGM and ride it accordingly.  The ST isn't much for ground clearance or fork travel or fender clearance.  That said, there are videos on youtube of guys ripping along on USFS roads in the Cascades as well as Death Valley.  Mr. COB makes aftermarket clutches for the Urals to handle lots of low-speed abuse.

To get an idea of what a hack can do off-pavement, either go to ADVrider or hit youtube and search for Ural off-road rides or similar terms.

The Urals were amazing for what they'd take into the backcountry what with the hack and its trunk.  However, after two seasons of dual sporting, we did all go to KLR's as we could places we wouldn't take the Urals.  Urals are not skinny...  One buddy has even gone to a TW 200 that he bought for the wife...not that she can ever pry the keys from his hands; even though he's 6'6" he loves that little TW.  (I'm waiting to see what happens to the TW now that he has a Rokon, but I digress.)

Sorry for the long-winded reply.

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
Hardware
Fridge Magnet Repairman

Reputation -24

Motorcycles: '07 R1200RT (His); '08 F650GS (Hers)
GPS: Running with the Bulls...around the Bay
Miles Typed: 3741

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 07:08:02 PM »

I came into this thread not knowing what a Ural was. This post and a couple youtube videos
later... I've decided I'm getting one.

Question is... Sidecar model, or the new solo model. Decisions.

If one's going to get an Ural...one needs to get the hack.

If one gets the hack...it should be 2WD (start watching at 38 secs).

"These instructions are at our present level of
knowledge. Legal requirements do not exist.
Technical issues subject to change."
camaroz1985

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2008 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Bressler, PA
Miles Typed: 279

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »

I sold my two wheeler 3 weeks ago and bought a used Ural (2006 Raven).  It is 2WD and I can't wait to try that out (bring on the snow!!).

I have loved every minute of riding so far, and my fiancee will actually ride with me now too.  I've only put about 400 km on it so far, but expect to put on many many more year round.

I have gone grocery shopping, taken it to pick up a gas grill at walmart, and used it to transport many boxes to Fed Ex.  If it could only tow my race car trailer I wouldn't even need my truck any more.

Current Ride - 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Past Rides - 2006 Ural Raven, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal