Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: what's it like in the Wauwatosa area?  (Read 5592 times)

phoenix

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '10 CBR600RR
GPS: Ankeny IA
Miles Typed: 3994

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2012, 06:26:32 pm »

I'm curious to get a little bit of information on Wauwatosa WI. A few days ago, someone shot me an email on LinkdIn, and a day later an HR person from the Motor Company was calling me. I'm at least 80% sure this isn't going anywhere (whether I would not get the offer or I would not even accept for various reasons), I want to stop and think about it a little.

I've been in my current job for ~5 years. Just recently, I would say that I could finally put down a real goal that I think would be within reason in about 2 years. I've taken on new responsibilities and I think I have shown how good I am at some of this new work. Unfortunately, my "old" work has not gone away, so now I am just frickin' swamped with work. Next week I make my first business trip to China, probably the first of many. And that's where I see some career growth opportunities.

Back here in quiet little Ankeny, I have a 4 mile commute to work. I like that. I like the quiet neighborhood. Our 13 year old has some pretty deep roots and good established friends. Career growth for me likely will mean moving at some point. My wife is working as an assistant manager for a women's clothing store. I would hope she could find a similar position anywhere in America.

The position is related to work I have done in the past. I should meet the qualifications. The HR guy claimed that the median base pay for this position is equivalent to my base + bonus this past year. It's hard to tell the guy "pfft, nope, not even gonna look".

NATIONAL 2003, 2004
EASTERN: 2003
REGION 4: 2005 WCRM: 2006, 2007 CENTRAL: 2007 ST.N trackday at Blackhawk Farms: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Gary B.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJR1300A, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 722

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:38:07 pm »

I'm guessing it's more "big city" than where you are at now, and the cost of living is probably higher. "Tosa" as the locals call it, is just a suburb of Milwaukee. I moved from Milwaukee for a reason...

I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
Squidbuzz
The Dirty Banana

Reputation 5

GPS: Vancouver, WA
Miles Typed: 591

My Photo Gallery

Loud Pipes Give You Headaches

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:53:37 pm »

And if you move to that area, you will want to check out more than just Tosa. Any ideas what location you'd work at?

Todd
IBA# 38417
And then there was fire. Yeah, fire.
Advertisement

Traxx

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2007 FJR1300A
GPS: Milwaukee, WI
Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 06:55:51 pm »

as the previous poster said "Tosa" is a suburb but it is by no means out in the country somewhere. It's in milwaukee county and literally right next door. It would definately be city living.

Lots of everything basically within walking distance. Being a suburb your in a better area than the actual city. Good schools, smaller community atmosphere inside a bigger city. From there you could probably pick numerous other suburbs or areas than would keep you close enough to work.(within 20 minutes) and give you more options for living arrangements.

Hope this helps. Good Luck in your search and if I can answer any more questions let me know.

Mark
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:05:41 am »

What do you want to know?
I literally live half a block from 'Tosa.  It's not 'next-door' to Milwaukee, it's across the street.  Even I can't tell where the boundaries are ('Tosa kinda wraps around the SW corner of Milw.).
I have lots of relatives in IA (Dad grew up there).
Milw. has a really nice blend of culture and diversity.  Brewers, Bucks, Admirals (hockey), Wave (indoor soccer) and we recently got a Roller Derby team.
Quite a few museums, opera and orchestra concerts.  Events range from Monster Trucks to childrens theaters.
Restaurants include; German, Mexican, Italian, Irish (growing in popularity recently), middle-Eastern, Polish, Indian, Serbian, and almost every place has fish-fry on fridays.   We've also got a variety of sub sandwich shops and frozen custard (like soft serve, a bit richer).
The state fair is here in Milw.
We've got SummerFest at the lake which is billed as the biggest lake-side music festival - MANY stages w/ all sorts of bands for 2 weeks.  They use the same grounds for ethnic festivals on weekends the rest of the year; American Indian, Irish, Italian, German, Asian...
Milw. use to be a '20 min town', meaning you could get almost anywhere in 20 mins, but traffic has gotten worse over the years....

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
FZ1 Matt
Scott's Group

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: yes
GPS: Cheese
Miles Typed: 1793

My Photo Gallery

KLR goes sputter sputter gurgle gurgle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 09:56:00 pm »

You'd have coffee meets to go to every weekend! Tosa is just north of where this whole coffee meet thing first came to be. Come to think of it, I now live in the city where it all started!  Thumbsup  Woo woo West Stallions!
phoenix

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '10 CBR600RR
GPS: Ankeny IA
Miles Typed: 3994

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 10:14:05 pm »

the job description (from the HD website)  said it was in 'Tosa. I've come to really like a short commute in our quiet little town here. A little while back, we were living in a suburb of Portland Oregon and I worked almost in downtown Portland. The commute was 16 miles. If you were not a morning person, your drive in to work could really really suck. As in 1 hour to go 16 miles sucky. Going home in the afternoons was always a crapshoot, regardless of time.

An employee of The Motor Company and I exchanged a few PM's. Thanks again Prubert. I sent in a resume, as the position is attractive to me. But I can't say that moving is something we would be crazy about.

I took a little look at homes for sale in the area. Just a quick look but the lot sizes look small.  Headscratch I'm sure there would be much more stuff to do than what we have available here, although I would still hang out around the house most weekends.

NATIONAL 2003, 2004
EASTERN: 2003
REGION 4: 2005 WCRM: 2006, 2007 CENTRAL: 2007 ST.N trackday at Blackhawk Farms: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 10:19:33 pm »

I was born and raised in Wauwatosa.  Lol Just off of 76th St, above Honey Creek Parkway.  Inlove

I haven't lived there in 16 years now, but I went back fairly frequently until my mom also moved away in 2009.  It's a nice suburb and Milwaukee is a great "little big city".  HipGnosis is right on with his assessment.  Thumbsup

I would happily move back to Milwaukee if (a) Peter would even remotely consider it, which he won't, and (b) I never had to shovel snow again. Lol

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 10:27:07 pm »

the job description (from the HD website)  said it was in 'Tosa.

Oh, is that the facility on Capitol Drive?  That's a good area, very close to Brookfield also, if you're looking at other suburbs (Brookfield was way spendier than Tosa when I was growing up but that area of Tosa may be catching up now too).  

There's some nice real estate off of Lilly Road over there; my dad used to live in a nursing home at Lilly and Burleigh and I liked looking at the houses along Lilly when we'd go to visit.  No idea if they're a bazillion dollars or anything, but the lot sizes were nice.

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
Prubert
I am HUGE in Japan

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: Some sort of KTM
GPS: Waukesha, WI
Miles Typed: 977

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 10:35:25 pm »

You'd have coffee meets to go to every weekend! Tosa is just north of where this whole coffee meet thing first came to be. Come to think of it, I now live in the city where it all started!  Thumbsup  Woo woo West Stallions!

Dirty Stallis!

Prubert
FZ1 Matt
Scott's Group

Reputation 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 10:38:04 pm »

Yes that would be the PDC, Product Development Center. I work right across the street  Thumbsup Prubert will hook you up.

I know, I know, Harley develops products?  Lol They really do get to do cool stuff there! (And then it gets canned...)  

FZ1 Matt
Scott's Group

Reputation 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 10:39:22 pm »

Dirty Stallis!

Bigsmile

HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 11:49:57 pm »

Do 'Motor Co' employees still get a 20% discount?

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4577

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 11:52:18 pm »

'Tosa is a great community, excellent schools, walkable. That said, the whole Brewtown area is very driver friendly; I laugh when people complain about 'congestion'-- they've obviously never driven in Boston or San Antonio or San Francisco.  You could easily live west/south/north of the job location and have an easy commute.

Best luck on whatever you decide.  Thumbsup

(And I thought the first MACK coffee meet was up in Glendale?)

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
Gary B.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJR1300A, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 722

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 09:21:46 am »

Yes that would be the PDC, Product Development Center. I work right across the street  Thumbsup Prubert will hook you up.

I know, I know, Harley develops products?  Lol They really do get to do cool stuff there! (And then it gets canned...)  

I heard they are developing a whole new shade of black for 2013... Lol

I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
FRZY

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Milwaukee WI
Miles Typed: 1161

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 04:52:28 am »

(And I thought the first MACK coffee meet was up in Glendale?)

So did I  Headscratch  Some place called Kletch Perk  Headscratch

In need of 2 wheels :P
FZ1 Matt
Scott's Group

Reputation 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 08:38:41 am »

Ok so maybe it was the second one I'm thinking of then near state fair on greenfield.
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 07:54:00 pm »

Honestly, that's a rough decision.  You'd basically be moving from a suburb of Des Moines to a suburb of Milwaukee.  Not a huge difference between the two situations, but the riding is better here in Wisconsin (I grew up in Iowa).

If it were me, it would have to be a substantially positive change in job for me to make the change (e.g. strong raise, better job security, doing something I love, getting away from an awful job, etc) due to your son's situation.  Sure, he'd be fine - but he's right at that age where he's making friends and about to go to high school.  Also, I think the schooling in Ankeny is pretty good, and I'm not sure about the schools you'd be moving to (not saying they're bad, I just don't know).
ManWorkingHere

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Concours 2001
Miles Typed: 184

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 07:56:17 pm »

Yes that would be the PDC, Product Development Center. I work right across the street

I know, I know, Harley develops products?  Lol They really do get to do cool stuff there!

My son works in the PDC full time now after a year as an engineering consultant.  He lives in downtown Milwaukee and has a 15 minute commute from east to west.  

I consider Wauwatosa more expensive to live in than say West Allis or Butler.  You could consider looking at home values at Shorewest.com for various communities around 'Tosa.

Getting around metro Milwaukee in the summer/spring/fall can be quick when you use I-894/I-94.  Winter time is different of course.

Other comments here are pretty good.  I live in Greenfield myself, going on 30 years now.

Suggest not living in Milwaukee for your son's educational benefit.  Surrounding school systems are much more successful.
OU812

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: '14KX250F, '07WR250F, 89' GL1500(,Oldwing)
GPS: Buffalo Grove IL
Miles Typed: 2261

My Photo Gallery

The older I get, the faster I was...

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 08:44:32 am »

You may be the replacement for my friend that just retired from that dept.Smile

The older I get the faster Ed was....Smile
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal