Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: what's it like in the Wauwatosa area?  (Read 2636 times)

johnnyb
My favorite thing in the world was made in China

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: 02 GSF600S Sport bagger, 02 GSX-R750 Track bike
GPS: Milwaukee, WI
Miles Typed: 597

My Photo Gallery

Giddyup

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 10:31:46 AM »

So did I  Headscratch  Some place called Kletch Perk  Headscratch

That would be the one.  Let's see, it was you, me, Mr Dollar and who was the fourth?

I'm either the "slow fast guy" or the "fast slow guy".
Either the "old young guy" or the "young old guy".
johnnyb
My favorite thing in the world was made in China

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: 02 GSF600S Sport bagger, 02 GSX-R750 Track bike
GPS: Milwaukee, WI
Miles Typed: 597

My Photo Gallery

Giddyup

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 10:44:10 AM »

Oh and I live right on the edge of Tosa.  If the mizzus and I ever move out of this house, we'll probably move all of 2-3 miles and be in Tosa.  The Tosa school district is pretty decent. The company I work for has the entire district under contract so I've spent time in all the schools photographing the students.
Good green space for walking/running/biking (Hart Park, Menomonee River Parkway, Honey Creek Parkway) and my favorite places to hang out for drinks and a bite to eat are right on State street in the Village of Tosa (Leff's, Hector's, Cafe Hollander).  There is a new ampitheater in Hart Park.  Several local high schools play their football/softball games in hart Park as well as tennis matches.  I've also caught the occassional semi-pro football game down there.
Festivals galor in and around MKE.  Tosafest is always fun and Summerfest is always hopping.
I came from the suburbs of Dallas to Milwaukee 22 years ago and I like it.  Like I said, I'm out at the edge of MKE (I can go a couple blocks and be in West Allis or Tosa) and I like it here.

I'm either the "slow fast guy" or the "fast slow guy".
Either the "old young guy" or the "young old guy".
Mark Milanowski

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: Triumph Trophy 900, Shadow Spirit 1100
GPS: Muskego, WI
Miles Typed: 1042

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 09:59:50 AM »

That would be the one.  Let's see, it was you, me, Mr Dollar and who was the fourth?

you guys were all young then! remember Matt was like 20!

I went to the West Allis meet which was like meet # 3. It was winter with snow. We all rode there.

Never be afraid to share your dreams with the world.
Because there's nothing the world loves more than the taste of really sweet dreams.
xsPain
XSive

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: home is where the motor is.
GPS: Homeless, jobless, and probably having more fun than you.
Miles Typed: 1256

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 02:49:16 PM »

It was winter with snow. We all rode there.

You used to ride in the snow? Cuz when I met all y'all, I remember you had opted to stay home. I guess Bunyan's that late in the year wasn't the best idea.

"I have great faith in optimism as a guiding principle." Sir Arthur C Clarke (1917-2008)

I wrote a book! You should buy it so I don't have to get a real job!  http://www.amazon.com/Going-Small-Lightweight-Motorcycle-Touring/dp/1469941848
tornup213

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: BMW F650
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 09:23:43 PM »

Tosa is nice enough for Milwaukee, but I wouldnt give up solid work in Ankeny IA for it. The economy is better in the DesMoines area. Im not saying Tosa is bad at all, it is just an extension of Milwaukee and that pretty much sums it up. Keep in mind, This is just my humble opinion.

I use to live in Tosa BTW, near the "Gas Light" (dont know if it is still there) and I know Ankeny and Des Moines area because of friends out there that I visit.
Cheddarhead
Today, we wonder of yesterday...and worry about tomorrow...

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '68 CL 350, '81 CB 750 Custom, '03 ST1300, '03 BMW F650 GS
Miles Typed: 3118

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 08:04:05 AM »

Saw a recent copy of "Milwaukee" magazine that had ratings for 30+ local school districts..you might want to check that out to see if there are districts which cater to any extracurricular activities that your kids may have interests in.

I've found the area to be a "great" place to raise a family....home prices are reasonable and there is a great balance of activities...major sports teams, great parks / outdoors activities within reasonable travel distances, good restaurants and theatre / arts abound.  Great festivals throughout the summer, too!

Traffic might seem "heavy" by Ankeny standards...but MKE is very easy to navigate around...and, of course, coffee meets year-round!

Living in 'tosa is generally seen as positive...but, with easy access to Hwy 45, you can live anywhere N / S / W and have a pretty easy commute.

C'mon out for a week / weekend and check it out!
phoenix

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '10 CBR600RR
GPS: Ankeny IA
Miles Typed: 3994

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 08:39:49 PM »

Traffic might seem "heavy" by Ankeny standards...but MKE is very easy to navigate around...and, of course, coffee meets year-round!

well, I am 1 week into a work trip to Jiamusi (Heilongjiang) China. Traffic in the US does not compare at all. Ho-ly-shit.
Its been a really interesting experience and has me thinking much more firmly about long term plans with my current employer.
That, and I have not heard squat from The Motor Company, I really think they would be better served promoting from within.
But who knows...

NATIONAL 2003, 2004
EASTERN: 2003
REGION 4: 2005 WCRM: 2006, 2007 CENTRAL: 2007 ST.N trackday at Blackhawk Farms: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Cheddarhead
Today, we wonder of yesterday...and worry about tomorrow...

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '68 CL 350, '81 CB 750 Custom, '03 ST1300, '03 BMW F650 GS
Miles Typed: 3118

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 08:48:05 PM »

well, I am 1 week into a work trip to Jiamusi (Heilongjiang) China.

Been there....literally.

In January.  Coldest I've "ever" been.  

It was my first trip to China...figured that, since I was touring a bunch of foundries, I'd be plenty warm.

I was mistaken.

Sky was so grey that the horizon was indistinguishable...just a blur.  Temps never got above -20 when I was that far north...

Glamourous thing, business travel is...

phoenix

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '10 CBR600RR
GPS: Ankeny IA
Miles Typed: 3994

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 03:43:21 AM »

there is a small foundry right next door to the John Deere factory. YOu can walk down the street and see right in, as they keep some doors open. They just lay forms down in the dirt, bring molten metal over and pour. Absolutely no safety or environmental protection. you can smell the steel from blocks away, only until a different (and usually worse) smell overtakes it.

I followed some of my Chinese coworkers shopping today. It is saturday. They went into a few back street markets. Woah, did that have a pungent smell. The city is over 2 million people, and I was feeling like I was the only non-Chinese citizen in town. Not that I felt unsafe or anything.

NATIONAL 2003, 2004
EASTERN: 2003
REGION 4: 2005 WCRM: 2006, 2007 CENTRAL: 2007 ST.N trackday at Blackhawk Farms: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal