Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Southeastern Ohio: Roads as Good As They Get  (Read 4512 times)

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Morgantown, WV
Miles Typed: 4133

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2012, 09:43:06 PM »

I had a rare weekend day off from the family yesterday (they were visiting Grandma), so given the flawless forecast, decided to take a ride back to Southeast Ohio—the land just across the Ohio River from West Virginia. The first and last time I'd ridden these roads was at ESTN last fall...but hustling like mad to keep up with Garry and Big Bird left no time for photos. So yesterday was a perfect day to return and document this little sport-tourer's paradise.

I got a late start, rolling out of Morgantown at 11am. I followed WV route 7 all the way to New Martinsville. Route 7 is only average in terms of scenery—there is a lot of typical West Virginia "No Zoning Scenery" along the way (trailer parks, dumps, gas wells, yards decorated by rusted-out trucks on cinderblocks, sketchy private clubs, etc.) Once in a while there would be some pretty scenery, but it never lasted more than a mile or so. This was one of those spots...

After an hour's riding from Morgantown, I arrived in New Martinsville on the Ohio River. Though I have a GPS, I've always been irritated by how a GPS only shows you a postage stamp of roads immediately around you (sure, you can zoom out but the resolution is pathetically low). So I figured I'd pick up a DeLorme atlas for Ohio. Alas, in a true sign of how ubiquitous GPS's have become, not one store in town (not even Walmart) carried the Delorme gazeteers any more. (WTF?) Paper maps are dying fast.

After snacking on a banana and some Gatorade, I hopped back on the bike and headed across the river into riding nirvana. The first road on the menu was 536. The sign by the turn said it all:

536 immediately climbed up to the hilltops above the river and twisted away across the bucolic landscape...

In West Virginia...most of the twisty roads lie in the bottoms of valleys...so you often feel boxed in by the surrounding mountains and hills. The beautiful thing about riding in this part of Ohio is that most of the surrounding terrain is beneath you—the roads twist right along and over the tops of the hills...and the views stretch away for miles. There are also many blind corners like this one...

But between the blind corners, there are plenty of twisties with wide-open sightlines that are a joy to ride, like this:

536—and all the roads in this area—were spanking clean for the most part, Once in a while I'd see a bit of pea gravel on corners, but it was the exception, not the rule. (I'm sure this is due to the mild winter and lack of snow.) As Garry noted last year, parts of 536 were scarred by fat tar patches running across the entire road...so I was careful crossing those. After riding 536 and a section of 78, I rolled into the town of Woodsfield...and there was Garry and Jesse! I thought, "Great motorcycling minds think alike."  Razz

I didn't know the other guy who rolled up (on the far left)—was he also an STNer Garry? We talked for a few minutes and compared notes on roads. I was tempted to continue with Garry and Jesse...but stuck to myself since my goal was photography.

A short hop east of Woodfield on 800 led my to another awesome road: 255. This was just as beautiful as 536, but with no tar patches...

I love the perspective in that photo above—notice the chicane in the distance. Here's a closer view of it...

If some of these photos look similar, it's because there is a kind of monotony to the roads in this area—beautiful, captivating, wonderful, twisty and scenic monotony! (There literally isn't a straight section on any of these roads.)

I stopped several times and got off the bike to get a few photos. And each time I did, all I heard was the wind sighing in the tall grass and trees...and an occasional meadowlark singing. Zero traffic. I was never passed by a car or truck on any of these stops.

There are many beautiful old barns in this part of Ohio, and almost every one had something painted on the end. This is one example, but there were many more I didn't photograph. (I want to go back sometime just to shoot a photo gallery of all the barns.)

This next photo perfectly captures the twistiness and sudden elevation changes of roads in Southeastern Ohio...

I followed 255 all the way back to the Ohio River (below)...

...then zipped south on Route 7 to jump onto yet another awesome road, 260.

As those who've ridden in this area know, there are countless blind crests that force you to take it easy (or you might be in for a nasty surprise at the top). Here's an example below...

The elevation changes make these roads a blast to ride—more like a roller coaster than any other twisties I've ever ridden...

Occasionally I passed a dirt doubletrack that made me wish I still had my KLR (or my mountain bike)...

Oreo cows!

After riding 260 to the west, I looped back around to 800 and rode it back down to the river, where I crossed into West Virginia at New Martinsville.

The Hannibal Locks and Dam on the Ohio are impressive...

Here's a detail below from the shot above—note the difference in water levels and the tug entering the locks...

All in all, it was a fantastic day of riding in one of my new favorite places to ride. There many more exotic riding locations (and I've ridden a few), but the roads in Southeastern Ohio are as good as they come.

Scott
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:48:02 PM by SWriverstone » Logged

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
JamminJere
Contributor Rex

Reputation 53

Motorcycles: 2008 Kawasaki Concours14 #5361
GPS: Southeast Pennsylvania
Miles Typed: 1246

My Photo Gallery

Commando Spelunker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »

Nice pics, Scott!!

Thanks for posting these up. I had a blast there last August.. I hope to get back that way for a twisty fix again soon.

JJ

There really isn't much difference between "the masses" and "them asses"
nevinfs327

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: Street Triple, W650, V7 Cafe, TU250
GPS: San Francisco
Miles Typed: 1194

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »

Excellent pics.  I love those roads.  Never managed to get as good of pics though  Bigok
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13962

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 11:29:24 PM »

Outstanding  Clap

always nice to see eastern ride reports  Bigok

West

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2003 Kawasaki Concours
GPS: Big Rapids/ Martin, MI
Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 01:00:18 AM »

Totally jealous of those roads and views.  When I first saw Ohio and good roads, I thought you were kidding because my impression of Ohio is the northern part where everything is flat as a pancake, boring, and the cops make a point to pull Michiganders over.
NoGear

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2005 FJR1300
GPS: Formerly of al Taji, Iraq, now Camp Buehring, Kuwait
Miles Typed: 369

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:19:31 AM »

I guess I'll have to log back in when I'm not on an Army network. It won't let me see any of the pics.  Glad you had a safe, fun ride!

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 88

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 950 SMR / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 5731

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:39:51 AM »

Yes it was a wonderful day to be out riding Scott. That guy on the Buell in Woodsfield is Pat (aka Sideshow Bob) from our Pittsburgh area forum SteelCityRiders.com. He's a really nice guy and great rider.

I don't know what those trees with the pink-purple blossoms are, but route 537 was covered in them. Just spectacular.

I've tried to take photos of southeast Ohio, but your photos really nailed it. Great job!

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
http://www.motoroads.net
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 50

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14111

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 08:28:04 AM »

And to think my sister who lives in SE Ohio sold her motorcycle  

Hey Scott - for a little variety, try the ferry at Sisterville sometime when you need to cross the Ohio  Thumbsup
The pilot let me sit up in the steering tower for our crossing  Cool

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
tankhead
I took the road less traveled and it has made all the difference.

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 09 BUELL Ulysses XB12X
Miles Typed: 711

My Photo Gallery

One time and one time only.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »

EEK!

Hey Scott, I am heading to that area this week.

Leaving Wednesday- Get back home Sunday.

Very impressive pictures.

Any other list of roads that are in that immediate vicinity that you would recommend?  

I have been checking out Garry's website.  Useful.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 03:52:36 PM by tankhead » Logged
Eric308

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: '01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 350

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »

Great photos! Looks like a perfect day....what kind of temps? Also, those cattle are Belted Galloways...originally from Scotland and excellent beef. Not common at all...maybe only about 10K worldwide? Thanks for sharing your trip. Thumbsup
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 09:04:40 AM »

Nice pics...I definitely need to get back to SE OH soon.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
Rincewind

Reputation 122

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: BMW F700GS
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 13697

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 09:08:32 AM »

Great pics, Scott.  Thanks for taking the time.   Thumbsup
02VFR
Lost in Ohio

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: 2006 Ducati ST3s
GPS: Newark, OH
Miles Typed: 215

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »

Great Pictures.  I live about 1.5 hours from SE Ohio i ride there every chance i get.

Tankhead,

Here is a list of other roads that are must rides in the area.

148 out of Barnsville to RT7, 556 from Wilson to Rt7, 26 from just north of Wilson to Marietta, 537 off of RT26 south of Graysville, 260 from Rt 7 in Matamoras north to 78, there is always RT 555..

Enjoy

2006 Ducati ST3s The faster black one...

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 88

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 950 SMR / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 5731

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 09:29:52 AM »

Any other list of roads that our in that immediate vicinity that you would recommend?  

Here is the Mother of All Twisty Rides: Bellaire to Marietta (and back). 300 miles of unrelenting twisty goodness that just can't be beat. Seriously. I did most of that day on Saturday.

147W, 9S, 148W, 145S, 556E, 7S, 536W, 7S, 255W, 800N, 26S, 537W, 260,E 7S, Archers Fork Rd, 26S. (the N, S E, W, are guesses, not sure how they are actually signed).

Have lunch at the Tampico Mexican Restaurant in Marietta (or the brewpub). Then reverse the route.

Of course 676, 550, 555, 377, etc are sitting there to the west of Marietta too.

I would stay in Marietta and do the loop up to Bellaire (and back). And then a day in the Hocking Hills that includes 555. You can even do a day in WV hitting the awesome route 16 from 50 south to jct 79.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:06:22 PM by garry » Logged

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
http://www.motoroads.net
tankhead

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 09:52:58 AM »

Thanks Garry.  WILL DO:  plug that route right into the Garmin.  Bigok
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 10:20:08 AM »

Totally jealous of those roads and views.  When I first saw Ohio and good roads, I thought you were kidding because my impression of Ohio is the northern part where everything is flat as a pancake, boring, and the cops make a point to pull Michiganders over.

Ha! Yep—I thought the same thing before ESTN last fall...and was totally blown away by what great riding it is! And this is just a small area...there's more great riding farther west toward the Hocking Hills (and more awesome scenery). You basically can't go wrong anywhere in the whole southern half of the state.

I don't know what those trees with the pink-purple blossoms are, but route 537 was covered in them. Just spectacular. I've tried to take photos of southeast Ohio, but your photos really nailed it. Great job!

Those are redbud trees_and you're right, they are amazing right now—they're my favorite springtime blossom. Glad you liked the pics! I kinda missed strafing those twisties at high speed...but I enjoy the laid-back approach too, stopping a lot for pics.

And to think my sister who lives in SE Ohio sold her motorcycle  

Hey Scott - for a little variety, try the ferry at Sisterville sometime when you need to cross the Ohio  Thumbsup
The pilot let me sit up in the steering tower for our crossing  Cool

Y'know, I almost took the Sistersville ferry! I stopped on the Ohio side and the ferry was on its way to WV...and it was getting late (I didn't want to ride through the "Bug Apocalypse" at sunset) so I just zipped up to the bridge at New Martinsville. I'll do it next time though (and ask to sit in the tower, LOL).

EEK!

Hey Scott, I am heading to that area this week.

Hi Chris! You'll love it. If you hit the roads Garry posted (in this thread) you can't go wrong.

Great photos! Looks like a perfect day....what kind of temps? Also, those cattle are Belted Galloways...originally from Scotland and excellent beef. Not common at all...maybe only about 10K worldwide? Thanks for sharing your trip. Thumbsup

It was coolish, highs in the upper 50s. I was almost too hot in my Stich suit with a fleece sweater inside...but by 5pm it started to get downright cold. Thanks for the cow ID—I'd forgotten what breed they were.

There are definitely lots of other great roads as Garry listed. The nice thing about the area right along the river between New Martinsville and Matamoras is that there are 4-5 awesome roads that traverse the hills above the river, more or less paralleling each other 10-15 miles apart. So you can put together a fantastic "back and forth to the river" route, or easily do laps around a phenomenal loop that includes the best ones.

Scott

ChrisZRX
This space for rent.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: '13 FZ1, '02 ZRX1200, '09 Bandit 1250 (RIP)
GPS: Tyrone, PA
Miles Typed: 742

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 11:12:31 AM »

Guess I'll be headin' to SE Ohio soon. Bigsmile

Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
bungie4

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: 2013 Yamaha FJR, 2004 Yamaha FJR, 2013 CRF250L
GPS: Sudbury Ontario
Miles Typed: 774

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »

SE Ohio sucks wet wooly donkeys. Don't go there. The roads suck, the food sucks, the accommodations suck, the weather sucks. Don't go there.

I'm only heart-broken that I'll have to go through it on my way down to Virginia in May. These pics are obvious photochops!

Did I mention it sucks?

Why, even the pavement sucks, I had to buy a fresh set of Michelins for the trip down.

Even worse, I'm gonna have to ride some of these roads on the way back from Virginia. Damn it!

Bigsmile

-Steve
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad Help when you need it www.assistancelist.com
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »

For a bit more on this part of Ohio, check out this post I made after ESTN in the fall...
http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,66792.msg1536773.html#msg1536773

Scott

tankhead

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 03:58:14 PM »

Well, the trip is loaded into the GPS.  Thanks again, Scott, 02VFR and Garry for the info on the roads and routes.  I will be camping the majority of the time.  I recently purchased a two man tent and have not tried it out yet. Hopefully a ride report to follow.

Edit:  I have been trying to get out there for a couple years now.  Can't wait.
Bad News:  My wife's best friend's sister finally passed away after a 10 year battle with cancer this past Saturday night.  So, though my wife is not going she is pushing me to go.  Feel bad 'bout leaving but she insists that I go, she said she needs to be there for Mary anyway so she won't be around much anyway.  Viewing Friday evening with funeral Saturday.  That sucks hard.  
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:12:12 AM by tankhead » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal