Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Tour Prepping a SuperSport, Why don't we do this?  (Read 10676 times)

smackdoogle

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2011 Z1000SX
GPS: Elizabeth City, NC
Miles Typed: 218

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2012, 06:28:59 AM »

So, I've been molding my body imprint on my couch for over a week now as I heal from my reconstructive surgery on my ankle. Not very mobile and all I can do is sit on the couch and hobble to the garage on crutches to look at my VF1000R. With two online college courses I still have a ton of free time so I've been reading tons of threads on here and other forums.

This topic has been brought up briefly in some way shape or form on here before but never really with much thought.  

I know,  for many of us,  the first thing we would like to do to our bikes when we buy them is the suspension.  Working the stock suspension on any bike can range from $500-$2000 depending on what your looking for it to do.

So why don't we just make it easier on ourselves? I've been searching craigslist, ebay, etc and 2004-2008 Yamaha R1's, Honda CBR1000RR's, ZX10R's and GSXR1000's can be found all day with less than 15000 miles in good shape for less than $7000. Usually in the $4500-$6500 price range with less than 10000 miles.

With these bikes you get fully adjustable suspension, gobs of power, nice instrumentation, tons of braking power, etc, etc. The only thing you don't get is comfort but......................Spiegler makes a very nice handlebar kit for all of those bikes sitting you up straight (as seen here http://www.spiegleru...on-kit-4394.htm)

The kits runs about $550. Combine that with a corbin/sargeant/whatever for your bum and you have a high performance sport tourer for the same price or less than a 6th gen VFR all farkled out, or a Sprint, or a Tiger 1050 or whatever. Legs still cramped? I'm sure someone makes peg lowerers or whatever for less than $100. Pretty sure Buell pegs would give you another 1". Anyway,

Am I missing something? I'm sure others have thought of this but why isn't it more popular?

What are your reasons for modding your bike or whatever when you could have gone the SS route?

I guess it's all subjective since we all have our own opinions but to me,  it just seems like I've been doing it backwards.  Finding a sport touring bike and dropping money for performance, suspension and comfort when I could have been buying a SS and dropping less money on just comfort.  

86 Honda VFR750 (sold) 93 Honda VFR750 (part out) 85 Honda VF1000R (sold) 98 Triumph T509(sold)
92 GSF400(sold) 02 VFR(sold) 05 Buell XB12S(sold) 02 SuperHawk(crashed) 95 FZR600(sold then crashed) 05 Z750S(sold) 04 SV650S(sold)
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 87

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 950 SMR / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 5674

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:40:19 AM »

I'm with you on modding a sport bike for all-day solo twisty strafing. But that doesn't work if you want factory hard luggage, two-up comfort, lots of alternator output to run farkles, no windblast on the super slab, etc. Different strokes and all that...

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
http://www.motoroads.net
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 350

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 07:49:08 AM »

I agree, for the most part.  Thumbsup

I bought a Hayabusa because it was lighter than almost all the dedicated ST bikes (although it’s still heavy by sportbike standards). It has fully adjustable suspension front and rear, strong brakes, and it’s roomier and more comfortable than the “RR” bikes. It has PLENTY of power/torque and it’s as reliable as a hammer. I bought mine with 23k on the clock, in excellent condition, for $4200; Hard to beat that combo. As a bonus, I can raise the bars and lower the pegs for more comfort for very little cost (I actually have a set of Buell pegs sitting in the garage).
The downside though is that I will never have the kind of wind protection afforded by a dedicated ST rig. I will never get the kind of seating position a ST bike has. I will never have roomy hard bags like a ST bike. Those are all compromises I decided I was OK with though for the sake of performance.

With a true “RR” bike you do have some other compromises to consider:
-Most lack low end torque. The liter bikes are certainly OK but they are still short compared to some of the big bore ST’s.
-because of the  soft low-end torque most are geared quite short. That means LOTS of revs out on the open road. A typical 600 will be running 6000rpm+ at interstate speeds. The engines take that kind of spinning just fine but the noise is kind of fatiguing on long trips (been there/ done that).
-The super light weight tends to make them get blown around a lot in cross winds or turbulence off of the back of trucks.
-The overall layout is very compact. 2-up in comfort isn’t going to happen and no matter what kind of risers ect you put on it will never be as roomy as a ST bike. It also means limited space for luggage, although you can pack a pretty good amount on one with some creativity, especially for one person
-The riding position is a bit extreme. You can only raise bars and lower pegs so much and even still you will be stuck with a “sporty” riding position.

All that being said, it can be done and if those compromises  don’t bother you they can make a pretty decent medium range tourer for a good price.

insert witty saying here.
the frenchman

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »

Yeah I think there are more potential gotchas modding an R1 than sporting up an FZ1. Not insignificant in the discussion is the light weight, twist-n-flex tail/subframes on most rr/SS bikes. They can hold a 98lb pillion just fine but slap on a real-sized pillion and the game changes. Add real luggage to the mix and it gets messy. Add in tiny pillion seats, tightly tucked knees for both rider and passenger, "perchy" seating for the pillion.... It's just not the right tool forthr job. If you solo tour out of a tank bag and you don't mind the ergos then yeah...

I've done what you're discussing a number of times on a couple different SS bikes and the results are always the same; crappy handling due to extra weight and wind resistance not designed in and complete lack of comfort for the pillion.
Joey Stalin
sick of pictures of gas stations

Reputation 15

GPS: nOvA
Miles Typed: 2061

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 07:54:57 AM »

The main problem for me has always been lack of hard luggage options. It's pretty much the only reason I bought a Kawasaki ZZR600, I read a thread about some guy who modded a Kawi ZR7 kit to the ZZR. Same thing with the VFR, it's kinda sporty but has nicely integrated OEM saddlebags. Although SW Motech's system looks like a pretty good option for a lot of different bikes. Not fully integrated hard bags, but better mounting than traditional soft luggage.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/articleview/420/1/18/

This is probably the perfect super sport tourer, from an old thread in the Kawi forum:
http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,48971.0.html

Okay, here's a pic of the ZX with the Helibars, Corbin and Vortex rear-sets.  It's hard to tell how much room to get with the higher handlebars and lower footpegs because I don't have a comparison picture... but the handle bars are 2" higher and the footpegs about 1" lower.

Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
county
The thrill of speed, the image of danger

Reputation -630

Motorcycles: Blackbird & F650CS
GPS: Memphis, TN
Miles Typed: 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 08:05:40 AM »

Interesting question with an obvious answer....this Sport-Touring.Net where most ride big fat touring bikes which the Mfg has marketed as a "sport tourer" so the purchaser can comfortably reinforce the illusion that there is something "sporty" about a big fat touring bike.

(It should be noted that nowhere in this post did I mention the FJR) Bigsmile

Iron Butt Identification No. 22810.  BB1500   Bullet Bike rider
My dog can poo !
cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5798

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 08:20:04 AM »

I bought a 636 to do this, then sold it when I realized I would eventually lose my license if I kept it.  Razz

Lauren
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9235

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:30:24 AM »

Interesting question with an obvious answer....this Sport-Touring.Net where most ride big fat touring bikes which the Mfg has marketed as a "sport tourer" so the purchaser can comfortably reinforce the illusion that there is something "sporty" about a big fat touring bike.

yes you did.

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
smackdoogle

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2011 Z1000SX
GPS: Elizabeth City, NC
Miles Typed: 218

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 08:36:42 AM »

Thanks for the input!!!  

I ride by myself 99% of the time so 2-up riding isn't an issue or a concern.  I have soft saddle bags that I don't think I could fit 100lbs of weight in them if I filled them with cement.  Besides,  how much underwear do you have to pack for a weekend?  

Yes,  there are compromises with a SS.  No,  it'll never be FJR comfy but I'm looking for VFR comfy.  I'm looking for light weight, good power and easy riding for 500 mile days.  The LSL/spiegler superbike bar kit looks like it really helps the ergos a lot.  

All I'm saying is that the cost to performance to comfort ration seems as though you'd get more bang for your buck with a SS outfitted correctly.

Ultimately,  yes the compromises are on both sides and it's up to the rider (money spender) what is worth more and what isn't

86 Honda VFR750 (sold) 93 Honda VFR750 (part out) 85 Honda VF1000R (sold) 98 Triumph T509(sold)
92 GSF400(sold) 02 VFR(sold) 05 Buell XB12S(sold) 02 SuperHawk(crashed) 95 FZR600(sold then crashed) 05 Z750S(sold) 04 SV650S(sold)
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 08:54:51 AM »

Meh, ride whatever you want.  In 99% of the cases the bike is much more capable than the rider.  I've yet to be left behind on my pig on the streets (slab or mountain road) when riding alone.  

The ability to comfortably carry a passenger and enough gear in hard luggage for a weekend or a week is just the cherry on top.  The purpose built "sport-touring" machines are exceptional at being the swiss army knives of motorcycles.  The same could be said for the big adventure tourers.  The real compromise is the RR bikes.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
county
The thrill of speed, the image of danger

Reputation -630

Motorcycles: Blackbird & F650CS
GPS: Memphis, TN
Miles Typed: 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 09:59:38 AM »

yes you did.

Caught that did you....

Iron Butt Identification No. 22810.  BB1500   Bullet Bike rider
My dog can poo !
dm_gsxr
Weirdo Freak

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
GPS: Longmont CO
Miles Typed: 4879

My Photo Gallery

I'm coming for you!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »

Heli-bars, lower pegs, soft bags, and I even have a hard trunk if I care to use it. I did modify the suspension as it's a bit too soft for a larger rider but that's me.

Carl

http://carl.schelin.org - Web Site - Personal Blog
http://stnlocator.net - Sport-Touring.Net locator service - Emergency Contact List, Couch Surfing when Travelling, Remote Motorcycle Inspection Team
Frankienuckles

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 2003 gsxr 1000, 2000 ktm DukeII
GPS: Northeastern Ct
Miles Typed: 1243

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 11:21:47 AM »

Photobucket
Not the best pic. Comfort mods are Cyclecat adj. clip ons (up and back an inch or so), vortex adj. rearsets (down 3/4" or so), suzuki gel seat and puig double bubble windscreen.
Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: Versys Adventure
GPS: So Cal
Miles Typed: 5294

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 11:37:59 AM »

My biggest issue with SuperSports and touring is that unless you are hauling ass they kill you ergo wise. Is just not something I would ever want to do. I rode the GSXR1000 to work a few times (120 miles rt) and that was far enough for me. Why anyone would want to sit on that thing all day is beyond me.  Nuts Shrug

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
                                      - William Shakespeare
Rattlehead

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 12:20:24 PM »

Thanks for the input!!!  

I ride by myself 99% of the time so 2-up riding isn't an issue or a concern.  I have soft saddle bags that I don't think I could fit 100lbs of weight in them if I filled them with cement.  Besides,  how much underwear do you have to pack for a weekend?  

Yes,  there are compromises with a SS.  No,  it'll never be FJR comfy but I'm looking for VFR comfy.  I'm looking for light weight, good power and easy riding for 500 mile days.  The LSL/spiegler superbike bar kit looks like it really helps the ergos a lot.  

All I'm saying is that the cost to performance to comfort ration seems as though you'd get more bang for your buck with a SS outfitted correctly.

Ultimately,  yes the compromises are on both sides and it's up to the rider (money spender) what is worth more and what isn't

For what you described (riding solo, packing light, 500mi days max) a modded RR will work pretty well. As a bonus, you're not lugging around 200lbs of excess bike during all the times when your not on a trip. I don't see any reason why a GSXR/CBR/ZX/whatever couldn't be made just as comfy as a VFR with a set of risers and some different pegs/rearsets.

Rattlehead

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »

My biggest issue with SuperSports and touring is that unless you are hauling ass they kill you ergo wise. Is just not something I would ever want to do. I rode the GSXR1000 to work a few times (120 miles rt) and that was far enough for me. Why anyone would want to sit on that thing all day is beyond me.  Nuts Shrug

I rode 1500mi in 3 days on a Buell Firebolt (which has similar ergos to your average Japanese SS) with nothing more than a set of the Lightning pegs (1" drop vs. std Firebolt pegs). I actually found it to be quite comfortable with one exception, that plank they call a seat!  Crazy MAN that thing was killing me after the 1st 1000mi!
My brother rode his R1 from Indiana to Cali, up to Washinton state and back home a few years back.
"comfortable" ergos are such a subjective thing.
I really prefer a forward lean with my feet under me so long as my knees aren't crunched up too much. Most modern SS's I find to be pretty comfy, especially the GSXR's with the pegs in their lowest position.

Cricket1

Reputation 30

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '03 Triumph Sprint ST
GPS: Ohio
Miles Typed: 738

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »

One other consideration is insurance. In many cases a SS is outrageously expensive compared to an ST. Some ST's like the Sprint are considered touring bikes by the ins. companies so are priced like a standard. ($300 yr for full coverage vs. a GSXR 1000, more like $1,000+)

How's that Hope and Change doin' for ya?
mxvet57
Let's find some twisty's

Reputation -105

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 04 FJR1300 06 SPEED TRIPLE 88 EX500 05 YZ250 01 YZ 250 91 KX 500
GPS: Mt. prospect ill.
Miles Typed: 15256

My Photo Gallery

Loud horns save lives

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »

You may not mention the FJR but I'm sure it was in your thoughts.

It's not the fall that will kill you it's that sudden stop

04 FJR 1300 1/4 million mile club and then some.
Scratch33

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, 2x'10
Motorcycles: '08 R1200GSA, '09 DD750, '07 F800S, '10 Madass 125
GPS: That Other Place
Miles Typed: 12395

My Photo Gallery

His Excellency's Car!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »

One other consideration is insurance.

Agreed.  Why do I need a 180+hp bike for sport touring?  And why would I want the extra worry of having a highly desirable sportbike stolen while I'm traveling somewhere?

All Your Forum Are Belong to VS
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 98 RC46, 94 & 97 RC36s, 93 GTS1000
GPS: 1 hr N/W of LA LA Land
Miles Typed: 2805

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »

You can tour on anything if you want to bad enough.
dm_gsxr
Weirdo Freak

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

I'm coming for you!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »

Is the 'busa a SuperSport? I didn't think so but others may have other opinions.

Carl

http://stnlocator.net - Sport-Touring.Net locator service - Emergency Contact List, Couch Surfing when Travelling, Remote Motorcycle Inspection Team
Dan K

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: '06 Triumph Sprint ST w/ ABS! '03 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 3811

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 04:18:01 PM »

I still like the idea of touring on a ZX14 or Busa.  Problem is my riding is pretty much commuting to work and jaunts back and forth to Michigan with maybe 30 minutes of curves that arguably could be called twisties, but are really only fun at double the legal speed limit.  Just doesn't seem to justify that kind of power.  Of course, the occasional 300 mile days for fun.  

The insurance is what stopped me in the past.  Plus, I have the Sprint almost where I want it now and it only has 14k+ miles.  I've been toying with the idea of selling the Daytona and replacing it with a dedicated track bike for maybe half the cost and replacing the Sprint with something a bit nicer with the difference, but we'll see.  Anyone see any B-King's for sale?   Cool

- Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K

airstash.com - check it out!
Joey Stalin

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »

Because a bolt-upright seating position is not good for your back. People are generally too lazy to take the time and train their body to lean forward properly, which allows your back to act more like a springboard than a shock absorber right through your spine. They'd rather have the immediate gratification of a right-now comfortable touring bike. 100 miles on a sport bike is ridiculously easy. I can honestly say that I've felt better after a 650 mile day on my old ZZR600 than I do after 500 miles on the RT-P.

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
Rattlehead

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 05:29:59 PM »

I still like the idea of touring on a ZX14 or Busa.  Problem is my riding is pretty much commuting to work and jaunts back and forth to Michigan with maybe 30 minutes of curves that arguably could be called twisties, but are really only fun at double the legal speed limit.  Just doesn't seem to justify that kind of power.  Of course, the occasional 300 mile days for fun.  

The insurance is what stopped me in the past.  Plus, I have the Sprint almost where I want it now and it only has 14k+ miles.  I've been toying with the idea of selling the Daytona and replacing it with a dedicated track bike for maybe half the cost and replacing the Sprint with something a bit nicer with the difference, but we'll see.  Anyone see any B-King's for sale?   Cool

- Dan

My insurance is $208/yr w/ full coverage/$500ded. I'm 32, married and have 1 ticket on my record (which oddly enough was in a gutless Ford Focus; not the Busa  Lol )
Insurance may be more affordable than you think. Of course, it seems to vary wildly from place to place.  Headscratch

Rattlehead

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 05:36:12 PM »

I prefer the middle ground. Given my low-back issues, a mild lean-over is far, far more comfortable than fully upright, or RR/SS extreme positions.

I could never go back to day-long riding on either of the extremes (RR or cruiser).

Somewhere in the middle seems to be best for me also. My Busa is slightly "forward" of ideal for me but it works. My knees are what really complain on certain bikes. Folding them up tightly for 500+mi/day is a recipe for walking with a limp for a couple of days.  Sad

GH15

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: R1
Miles Typed: 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »

I tour on an r1 no problems. I can do 500+ miles a day for weeks strait. I modded the seat to be flatter and more comfortable and added adjustable apex clip ons. The bikes as comfortable as anything.

For luggage I use a renntec rack. This allows me a 30 litre bag on the rack, a 40 litre on the tail, and a 20 litre tank bag. Thats all I need to use including my camping gear, as I prefer to camp. I've managed 3 week trip with this setup.

I've gone on rides with guys on their 'touring' bikes that have hard saddle bags, hard tail bag, then bags strapped onto those, with a million other things bungied to the top. I'm like wtf are you guys needing all this shit for? and these guys are staying in hotels. People go hiking for months strait with a lightweight backpack!

If I do a trip and plan on staying in hotels I just use a tail bag. So what is the need for all this luggage? I do wish I had hard luggage for security reasons, but if I plan on leaving my bike somewhere I'll check into a nearby hotel that day.
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6096

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »

Is the 'busa a SuperSport? I didn't think so but others may have other opinions.

Carl

Technically, yes.  I think it's the best compromise between a true lightweight sport bike and a heavy tourer myself.

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
Rattlehead

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 06:18:49 PM »

Technically, yes.  I think it's the best compromise between a true lightweight sport bike and a heavy tourer myself.

I agree. It had everything I wanted (adjustable suspension, power, handling and more room than a supersport) but far less unnecessary bulk than a touring rig. I can easily get everything I need for 3-5days on the road in my soft bag setup (as well as my tent) , which fits with room to spare on that big ol Busa "ghetto booty"  Lol so I'm good to go.  Thumbsup I can't wait to get some miles on her this year.  Cool

Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »

I agree. It had everything I wanted (adjustable suspension, power, handling and more room than a supersport) but far less unnecessary bulk than a touring rig. I can easily get everything I need for 3-5days on the road in my soft bag setup (as well as my tent) , which fits with room to spare on that big ol Busa "ghetto booty"  Lol so I'm good to go.  Thumbsup I can't wait to get some miles on her this year.  Cool

I'm up to just about 55k now Smile

Got in another 1701 miles last weekend - she still runs like a champion and pulls like a train.

www.ledrider.com
dm_gsxr
Weirdo Freak

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

I'm coming for you!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 07:06:39 PM »

106,000 right now with a three week, 8,000 mile trip coming. I am jonesing for this trip (starts May 20th).

And the 'busa is significantly more comfortable than either Harley (10,000 and 30,000 miles) or the Goldwing (less than 1,000 miles; what a pain in my back and head, not to mention the crazy passenger that insisted I do the speed limit and don't lean so much  Rolleyes )

For a slightly less forward lean, the C14 was really well set up that way. But I still like the 'busa Smile

Carl

Smoker

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: Big Pig
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 1566

My Photo Gallery

I feel more like I do now than when I got here

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 07:30:43 PM »

I've yet to be left behind on my pig on the streets (slab or mountain road) when riding alone.  

I distinctly remember hearing Mr. Cablebandit on my coms saying, and I quote "Ha-ha!! I caught your ass on the dragon".

Lol

Founding member, Keystone Contingent/Flying Pig Association
Rattlehead

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 08:32:40 PM »

I'm up to just about 55k now Smile

Got in another 1701 miles last weekend - she still runs like a champion and pulls like a train.

I'm just shy of 27,000 right now (bought it the end of last year with a little under 23k). The weather here has been less than cooperative the last several weeks though.  Sad
I hoping I can have another 8000mi year this year. It's hard for me to get much more than that in with 2 young un's and all. Planning on a 1500-2000mi trip this summer and hopefully a few shorter "overnighters". We'll see, gotta wait for mother nature to throw me a bone first.
Seems like I have little to worry about with the big girl though. It's great to hear from other people that have put some more substantial miles on a Busa. I have little doubt that this bike will last the long haul.  Thumbsup The looks may not be everyones cup o' tea but there's little denying that the Busa is one heck of a bike. Cool

Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '03 ZX-9 modded & '86 V65 Magna original
GPS: 5000 rounds and a dozen claymores down a dirt road, SC
Miles Typed: 557

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 08:45:17 PM »

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l496/hunter261/Picture044.jpg

My buddies 07 ZX-10 in weekend tour mode. Tent, sleeping bag and pad and clothing for a weekend. My little Thruxton had everything but the kitchen sink but I did have the pots and pans.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l496/hunter261/Picture030.jpg

While it doesn't have the power of the SS's it has the cramped riding position down pat. The early models (like this one) had the low clip-on's and relatively high and back rear sets but with a Pro Pad gel seat I still managed easy 4 to 500 mile days meandering my way back east.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l496/hunter261/Picture065-1.jpg

Another picture from Hwy 64 through New Mexico, east of Taos IIRC, beautiful ride. I ended up doing around 4000 miles on that trip, nearly 3 weeks long and wish I had done it years earlier. The only problem was fuel range on the Thruxton, between 90 and 108 I would be on reserve which amounted to about a cup and a half of fuel left.

I'm planning my next trip in June or July, Maine this time. I figure get a Lobster or 2 for lunch and head back. I'll be taking the 9 as it's a couch in comparison plus the fairing and extra power would only add to the enjoyment of the trip.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l496/hunter261/Picture028.jpg

quote courtesy of atadaskew "Man card?  MAN CARD?  My Vespa key is on a Hello Kitty key chain.
Man f-in card.  F.     AAAARRRR!"
Joey Stalin

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 09:56:44 PM »

Always loved the ZX-9R, nice bike. Thumbsup

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »

works for me Wink
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/blackhills_2007/IMG_0467.jpg

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
sleazy rider

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Miles Typed: 5496

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 10:29:11 PM »

Running an older Daytona 1200 for the past year as my touring/LD rig.  With the 5.5 gallon stock tank, a Corbin seat and some 20mm drop foot pegs, I can withstand 1000 mile days.  I have some Fieldsheer saddlebags and top bag to haul the camping gear and stuff.  Just added an Axio hard shell tank bag for the electronics and personal storage.  It's about to reach 50k miles this week after a SS1000 to Moonshine for the festivities and it's not even broken in yet.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/sleazyrider/Triumph%20Daytona%201200/IMG_0001.jpg

This photo is pre-Corbin seat and drop pegs.  We were headed off to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, Dragon and Skyway in a 5 day loop.

I'm a young, soon to be 55 year old rider.  Lol
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:37:38 PM by sleazy rider » Logged
axelwik
Um... Okay

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '08 DL650, '99 900ss, '03 ST4s, '05 WR450
GPS: Albuquerque, NM
Miles Typed: 369

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 11:30:42 PM »

Okay I'll play... here's my ss in sport-touring mode. I think a 1,500 mile weekend qualifies.
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae42/axelwik/P1020047.jpg

We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock
SummerLove

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Ducati M750 (Gone) Ducati MTS 1000 DS (Dev!)
GPS: San Fransico Bay Area
Miles Typed: 107

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 01:18:45 AM »

My draw to most middleweight ST bikes is that they are good at everything and comfy for me on a day to day basis. I could say the same about adventure bikes but I'm short (it's taking a lot of adjusting to get used to the Multistrada there). As for why I didn't consider getting a SS and using it? Insurance, running cost, no luggage and I don't like inline fours which rules out most of them.
I thought long and hard about doing something like buying a current middleweight standard and adapting it to me needs but I couldn't get decent suspension on any of them.
Every day I ride the multi I love her a little more. I wish her bars were a little lower and she had a banana seat (ST3/Futura was my ideal bike) but I'm adjusting to the up right riding position slowly. It does give you a wonderful amount of control over the bike, especially at low speed.
To the people that want to adapt a SS to ST.. more power to them. Insuring any of the big four liter bikes (600s suck a lot in urban traffic) would cost me 3-4 times what it cost me to insure the Multi or any of the other middleweight ST bikes. Showa stuff on the MTS 1000 DS is quite good suspension wise. I have no complaints 3 weeks in. I'm hunting for a set of bags.. if that fails I'll slap a givi top case on her, get the mounting brackets and find some ST2/3/4 bags to put on her. I suppose I'd rather start with someone designed with compromises I want for the riding I'm doing than try to modify something with a whole different set of compromises into something else.
JSharp

Reputation -62

Motorcycles: 2011 Ninja 1000, ancient KDX 250
GPS: East Central IL
Miles Typed: 760

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 01:59:53 AM »

After owning a C-10 Concours and hating the weight and bulk the idea seemed sound to me. I don't ride all that far anymore and I use soft luggage so the lack of hard bags wasn't an issue. I ride mostly by myself so passenger accommodations aren't a big deal. I have no interest or need for 1000 watts of electrical farkles. Unfortunately in this area there's no such thing as a decent SS bike with 15K or even 10K miles. By that time the initial squid owners have crashed them at least once and run the hell run out of them in addition.

I'll pass on a thrashed bike. I bought a new Ninja 1000 instead. The fairing/windshield could be better on the Ninja but the main thing I really miss from the Concours is the seat. The real upside is it's better in every way as a day to day bike.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:07:58 AM by JSharp » Logged
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 87

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2012, 07:25:58 AM »

I miss this bike (2005 ZX-6R). Cortech luggage, LuggageLocker tank bag, Alaska Leather sheepskin, and a Puig double-bubble (so I could see the gauges). Otherwise bone stock...

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/garrysimmons/NinjaForSale/wvrat-001.jpg

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 87

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2012, 09:30:02 AM »

Garry, how tall are you and what's your inseam?

6' 3" with a 34" inseam. I was good for all-day rides even though my legs were folded up pretty good under me (YMMV). Not much lean to the bars if I sat up toward the tank (34/35 sleeve length helps there). I wouldn't have minded a set of brackets to lower the pegs an inch, but I was otherwise good with it. Even the stock seat.

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Rincewind

Reputation 122

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: Tiger 800 ABS
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 13680

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2012, 09:48:14 AM »

I'm happy to tour on my naked super-sport.  It has the same handling, suspension and brakes as a supersport, with much less insurance costs.  The power is slightly less than a full-blown supersport, but it also take 87-grade gas and is easy to ride with higher mid-range torque.  

No need for an expensive handlebar kit - it came with one.  I added a center stand, rear rack with topcase adapter, heated grips, flyscreen, Zumo, Sargent seat, and electric vest hook-up.  It has a respectable alternator output - 402w - to run electrics.  I like faired supersports and superbikes, but I don't want to pay the extra insurance money or deal with plastics.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m17/Rincewind0011/IMG_7911.jpg
karlfitt

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Ducati ST4s, BMW R 1100 S
GPS: Colorado
Miles Typed: 347

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2012, 09:51:02 AM »

I am 6' 2"

I had a BMW K 1200 RS, I sold that and bought myself a Ducati ST 4s

Not exactly a SS, but very small for an ST Bike.
I got fully adjustable suspension and hard bags with itIt also has bar risers and a Corbin (came with them).
I am suprised i don't miss the wind protection the BMW had.
My trip last year was 5500 miles in three weeks which also included qualifing for an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000.

I have a friend who ride his Ducati 916 as a touring bike.
He got some soft bags and a soft trunk (?) from RKA and loves it.

So yea, you can tour on whatever you want to.

As a side note, both my buddy and myselfare in the market for a bit bigger of a bike for two up. But we will keeep our Ducks.

<P>

"Loud Clutches save lives"
Rammer

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '09 ZX-14, '06 FJR, '08 Wr250x
GPS: north western, WI
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »

My favorite touring bike has to be my zx-14. I've added a seat from a C-14, bar riser blocks, PR-2s, Givi plx-v35 bags on removable hardware from Twisted throttle, and sometimes a taller windshield. I had the magnetic tank bag base modified to fit the metal/plastic of the tank. So now it's part strap-on, part magnet. I add a Willie and Max "the hooker" under the seat so I have a place for tie downs.
As long as my 51 year old body can take it, I'll keep riding it...

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/erikramsted/DSCF1153.jpg

Willie and Max, the hooker.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/erikramsted/633017079971215405the-hooker.jpg

Sport-touring.Net: ADDATT, all damn drama all the time
Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '03 ZX-9 modded & '86 V65 Magna original
GPS: 5000 rounds and a dozen claymores down a dirt road, SC
Miles Typed: 557

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »

Frenchie, have you had the chance to ride a SS with HeliBars on it? My friends 07 ZX-10 has them, while I find it weird feeling being long armed/legged, he finds it very comfortable. He is only 5'8 or so and I think he has less forward lean than I do when I'm on my 9.

Just a thought.

quote courtesy of atadaskew "Man card?  MAN CARD?  My Vespa key is on a Hello Kitty key chain.
Man f-in card.  F.     AAAARRRR!"
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 87

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »

I'm 5'6" with a 29.5" inseam. I generated these images on cycle-ergo.com. I find the 636 bordering on unridable for me with stock ergos. Short torso and short arms don't do much for the SS/RR riding position.  Sad

The first image shows you on your bike, then the second shows me on your bike.

You're at a 38* forward lean where I'm at a 45* forward lean.

R Doug had a similar issue on his Daytona 675. It was a quite a lean/reach for him too.

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2012, 10:11:32 AM »

You'd think these midgets could ride a bike built for little Japanese folks.

couch

Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2012, 10:14:28 AM »

I left the remainder of my front tire on the range last night.  I'm sitting here waiting for brown Santa to arrive.

Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2012, 10:36:19 AM »

and to top it off now it's snowing.

JTM

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 13 Ninja 650, 08 XB12XT (for Sale), 04 CRF230F
GPS: Houston, TX
Miles Typed: 333

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2012, 10:43:29 AM »

I miss my 636

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u338/JTM1433/MC/PB140086.jpg

Although if I went back to SS bikes I would try to find an 05 ZX10R, or maybe by then Kawasaki will have redesigned the body work to look good and I would just buy new.
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 98 RC46, 94 & 97 RC36s, 93 GTS1000
GPS: 1 hr N/W of LA LA Land
Miles Typed: 2805

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »

Okay I'll play... here's my ss in sport-touring mode. I think a 1,500 mile weekend qualifies.
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae42/axelwik/P1020047.jpg

That's pretty much the same setup my neighbor had on his '96 last month on our 1250 mile trip through Death Valley 'cept he had a tailpack too. Bastard averaged well over 50 MPG too with flat slides, and a Spaghetti exhaust. Course he only weighs 140 soaking wet.
black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2012, 01:22:32 PM »

Insurance is barely more for my CBR than for my Adventure. my '11 adventure is $312/yr. '03 CBR954 was $318, and the new to me '04 CBR1000 that I traded the '03 for is $328?? I don' see insurance being an issue unles you are young. The reason I like touring on a SS (or adventure bike) is that you can find a nice area and get a room for a couple days, leaving all your crap in the room and allowing you to run the twisties or explore the back roads with an "appropriate machine" Wink Smile

the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2012, 03:11:58 PM »

I did.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g57/GeneralPig/DSC03338.jpg

stew71

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2006 Yamaha FJR
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1495

My Photo Gallery

Words simply cannot express how much I don't care.

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »

What is that thing on top of the front tire?  'cuse me....tyre.

A hamster wheel looks like a career ladder from the inside.
The police never think it's as funny as you do.
dietDrThunder

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
GPS: Nashville, TN
Miles Typed: 429

My Photo Gallery

Why so serious, son?

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »

I'm with the OP. I've been wanting a 2003 GSXR1000 to make into a SPORTtouring bike for years. I think they look great, and are an LSL kit and luggage away from being very good weekender+ bikes. I was about to do it this past winter, but a very good deal on a CBR1100XX all farkled up came along, so the GSXR has been postponed. Maybe next winter...

Dave Arkle
WERA Expert #13 - retired
DoD #11011
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2012, 05:09:57 PM »

What is that thing on top of the front tire?  'cuse me....tyre.

Petrol tank. 1/3 brake horse power engine. The electrical bits. In three parts-just like the Trinity.  Smile

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »

notarian has posted numerous drool worthy reports with him touring Europe-land on his stock Ducati 1098.
All he had was a tail bag.

I think some of you lot are just soft.

Razz

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Joey Stalin

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »

I miss this bike (2005 ZX-6R). Cortech luggage, LuggageLocker tank bag, Alaska Leather sheepskin, and a Puig double-bubble (so I could see the gauges). Otherwise bone stock...

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/garrysimmons/NinjaForSale/wvrat-001.jpg

Last good looking ZX-6R. How was the torque on those things? Did the extra 36cc make a difference versus the usual 600?

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 87

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2012, 10:55:19 PM »

Last good looking ZX-6R. How was the torque on those things? Did the extra 36cc make a difference versus the usual 600?

I agree on the looks. Torque was better than a 600, but not majorly so. Part of the reason for selling it to buy the KTM was wanting to be lazier on the street and just surf a bit more torque. As much as I liked the bike, I never got my head around life at 10K-12K RPM on the street. The bike pulled cleanly from 6K, but things got more interesting once you got to 10K.

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
gritsngravy

Reputation 3

Miles Typed: 1021

My Photo Gallery

Motors: BKing! - VFR

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2012, 11:44:57 PM »

- Dan

Pop over to SuzukiB-king.org there is a guy selling a black one with 6000 miles for $7500 thats clean & stock.   He added a National Cycle smoked screen and some frame sliders I believe.  

Shockingly you can get a rack from Hepco-Becker that accepts their excellent top boxes and something called the 'c bow' system that allows the fitment of small soft sided luggage.   The national cycle screen is purpose built just for the king.   OES makes a great protection kit with frame, fork and swingarm sliders.  

On the open road I've seen 45mpg with a few runs into triple digits.   It's no lightweight touring bike but its hella fun and reasonably comfortable for all day riding.  Fully adjustable suspension and stout chassis keep things civil.  

Insurance is very affordable despite the Busa powerplant.   Progressive insures mine + my vfr full coverage for ~ 700 year.    The kings are a lot more flexible than they look.   The screen and top box turn a great naked bike into a nicely overpowered weekender.  

Insurance is a bargain considering the power on tap

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:48:33 PM by gritsngravy » Logged
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2012, 08:37:33 AM »

notarian has posted numerous drool worthy reports with him touring Europe-land on his stock Ducati 1098.

Razz

Isn't Europe like 3 hours from end to end?   couch

black hills

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2012, 10:38:51 AM »

Razz

Thumbsup

Rattlehead

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2012, 12:13:27 PM »

Razz

Agreed.  
If you have to pack so much that it destroys the handling of a SS maybe you could leave a few "luxuries" behind :pokestick:
Here's me with 3 days worth of stuff, a tent, and TONS of emergency supplies (my fellow travelers were less than prepared for an emergency so I doubled up for their sake) as well as some stuff from the others since I still had room left. It's not like an XB is a roomy bike either.  Lol
Running the dragon I couldn't even tell that stuff was back there. Pack light and distribute it evenly with the heavy stuff mounted low. That setup worked fantastically for me and I could have easily stretched it another 2-3days without packing any more (a laundry stop would have been in order).

JSharp

Reputation -62

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2012, 12:31:03 PM »

Agreed.  
If you have to pack so much that it destroys the handling of a SS maybe you could leave a few "luxuries" behind :pokestick:
Here's me with 3 days worth of stuff, a tent, and TONS of emergency supplies (my fellow travelers were less than prepared for an emergency so I doubled up for their sake) as well as some stuff from the others since I still had room left. It's not like an XB is a roomy bike either.  Lol
Running the dragon I couldn't even tell that stuff was back there. Pack light and distribute it evenly with the heavy stuff mounted low. That setup worked fantastically for me and I could have easily stretched it another 2-3days without packing any more (a laundry stop would have been in order).

That's a Dowco luggage set. I have the same one including their small tank bag. The stuff is low $ and works great. I also own a larger Fieldsheer tank bag I use when I don't want to take the all the luggage.

If I need to take more stuff along I'll take my 4Runner.
Rattlehead

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »

That's a Dowco luggage set. I have the same one including their small tank bag. The stuff is low $ and works great. I also own a larger Fieldsheer tank bag I use when I don't want to take the all the luggage.

If I need to take more stuff along I'll take my 4Runner.

Yup.
 I took a chance and bought cheap. Turned out to be a pretty nice set with PLENTY of room. I can't speak for water resistance as I've only had them in a light rain; kept the water out in that though. I always pack my stuff in 2gal zip-lock bags so even if the they do leak I still have dry undies.  Bigsmile
I kept the luggage even though I sold the Buell. I use the tail bag ALL the time on my Busa. The beauty of soft luggage, to me, is that it'll fit on ANY bike quickly and easily.  Thumbsup

JSharp

Reputation -62

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »

Yup.
 I took a chance and bought cheap. Turned out to be a pretty nice set with PLENTY of room. I can't speak for water resistance as I've only had them in a light rain; kept the water out in that though. I always pack my stuff in 2gal zip-lock bags so even if the they do leak I still have dry undies.  Bigsmile
I kept the luggage even though I sold the Buell. I use the tail bag ALL the time on my Busa. The beauty of soft luggage, to me, is that it'll fit on ANY bike quickly and easily.  Thumbsup

+1 The little tank bag lives on my Ninja. I use it as a glove box. The other stuff can be on in under 2 minutes if I need it. And I don't have a ton of plumbing hanging on my bike.

The attached pull-out rain covers work ok in light rain. I haven't tried them in a downpour and I don't intend to ride in one ever again. Famous last words...
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2012, 02:16:25 PM »

Isn't Europe like 3 hours from end to end?   couch

On a Ducati 1098, yes.
On a Guzzi about 5 hours (it takes a while to fight off the adulating crowds)

On the land marshmallows that some of you seem to prefer, about 1 week...

Windblown
Dazed and confused....

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '07 DRZ-400 S - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3402

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »

I've ridden both types.  It all boils down to wants and needs.

SS type bike -  minimum luggage (If you're gonna slap 50 lbs on an SS why bother, handling is gonna suck) -   No large mods to ergo's (if you're gonna drop the pegs and raise the bars, again, why bother with an SS, compromising ergos for comfort defeats their purpose.) As they are designed the are great for attacking the turns at go to jail speeds.  Inlove

ST type bike - Higher degree of comfort for those who don't do well with being pretzel shaped all day. Better protection against the elements compared to an SS. Tons of room for the kitchen sink. Still able to strafe turns you're not familiar with at a pace that can send you to jail. Good fun! Just not quite as good as having an SS once you unload and start making laps at some fav twisty bit of pavement.

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
jesse v

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2005 Suzuki SV650
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 121

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2012, 11:23:07 PM »

Here's my '04 SV1000 w/ LSL kit:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/jessevanderweide/SV1000s/100_3345.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/jessevanderweide/SV1000s/svst2.jpg

Ultimately, I think I am with those who say that most people don't use all their bike's power anyway, so a ST seems more logical.  But motorcycling isn't logical in the first place.  The argument about properly sitting on a SS bike (using your torso) is valid as well.  All in all, I think a "sport/standard" (Z1000, etc) is probably the ultimate choice for me.  That's basically what I have I suppose... so perhaps I'm biased.
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 105

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2012, 12:21:13 AM »

I toured on my Buell Firebolt with a duffel bag and a small tank bag.  I found it to be a very good highway companion due to a relaxed engine, relaxed but sporty sportbike ergos, maintenance-free belt drive, and when the road got twisty it was a ton of fun at a mere 450 lbs. wet.  

What I don't enjoy when I'm touring is how heavy a bike can be when loaded down with all kinds of touring shit.  Especially at low speed.  My preferred mode of touring is "light".  Pack a minimum of crap and just ride.  The most essentials are cold weather/warm weather gear, personal hygiene stuff, flat tire repair kit, cell phone, and wallet.  The rest I can just buy.  No camping for me.  Too much stuff to carry.

Rogue
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 105

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2012, 12:27:44 AM »

Having said all that, you can just buy one of the best do-it-all motorcycles for that mythical $7k price and be done with it in one fell swoop.  Centerstand, fuel gauge, wind protection, reliability, single sided swingarm for easy chain maintenance, and comfortable sporty ergos.  

Rogue
todao

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: ZX14
Miles Typed: 161

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2012, 01:55:04 AM »

I modded my 2004 CBR1000RR for touring.  I put the Convertbars adjustable handlebars, a corbin seat, laminar lip, soft bags and would tour for two weeks at a time at age 52.  It was okay; can't say I was really comfortable but it was tolerable.  The bike was great in the canyons and good on tour.  But there is only so much you can do to make it comfortable on an RR.  

I sold that and bought a ZX14 new.  Put Heli's on, a corbin seat (only for touring), same soft bags and a laminar lip.  Now I can tour in full comfort. The bike is great on tour and very good in the canyons.  That is a better balance for me than the CBR was.  Oh yes, the CBR would get blown all around in the winds.  The ZX is stable as hell.
CanadianBird
CanadianBird

Reputation -4

Motorcycles: '02 Honda CBR1100XX SuperBlackBird
GPS: Escort Passport iQ
Miles Typed: 100

My Photo Gallery

C:\Users\Arle\unknown

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2012, 02:04:09 AM »

FWitsW, on the weekend I passed 180,000kms on my '02 BlackBird. I'm 67, retired, and only tour or do day rides. I have a full Givi hard bag set up, Corbin GFL, Heli Bars, and upgrades suspension rear and front. I average 18,000 kms per year in the last ten years of Bird ownership. My closest riding friends ride BlackBirds also. I could post up pics of scraped fairings. A well set up Bird is a pleasure to tour on and can scratch with many litre bikes. It's very user friendly, bullet proof engine, and it's a Honda. I added a full lighting kit to the Givi, running, brake, turn signals for safety and when riding at dawn or dusk. There are still Birds for sale in the USA that have been farkled out, low milage, for as low as $3,500 to $5,500. It's one of the best ST bikes for your money.  

'02 BlackBird, Penske rear, Ohlins, RaceTec front, Pazzos, Corbin, Givi, Galfer rotors, steel lines, Samco hoses, pciii, Yosh SS full system, 023s, Gerbing heated gear, lots of CF, radar/gps, 167,000+ kms, retired senior citizen, family man, grand fa
Bruce Bogtrotter

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2013 CBR600RR ABS
GPS: So. Cal.
Miles Typed: 249

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2012, 02:27:25 PM »

Having said all that, you can just buy one of the best do-it-all motorcycles for that mythical $7k price and be done with it in one fell swoop.  Centerstand, fuel gauge, wind protection, reliability, single sided swingarm for easy chain maintenance, and comfortable sporty ergos.

Head says VFR, midlife crisis says CBR. Decisions, decisions...

I notice the 800 isn't even on the Honda site anymore -- 1200 only for the foreseeable future?
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2012, 02:36:52 PM »

Great pic, Carmel Valley Road?
Posted on: April 13, 2012, 11:35:09 AM

I notice the 800 isn't even on the Honda site anymore -- 1200 only for the foreseeable future?

The upside is you can buy a new 1200 for less than a new (I guess leftover now) 800.
1200 is going for $10K last time I checked.

ceilingcat

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: C-14 Ducati Streetfighter S
Miles Typed: 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »

zx14 with hard luggage.  Pertty easy to do from twisted throttle.  Don't think you can do this with a 'busa

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2012, 03:08:42 PM »

zx14 with hard luggage.  Pertty easy to do from twisted throttle.  Don't think you can do this with a 'busa

Do you have a pic of it from the rear?

The problem with doing it this way is the bags stick waaay out, as the bike was never originally designed for those generic bags.
On my Duc St4s, the bags are designed for the bike, so they mount really close and follow the curves of the bodywork.  This means the widest part of the bike are the mirrors.  Handy for cutting through traffic etc. (as well as looking better)

dm_gsxr
Weirdo Freak

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

I'm coming for you!

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2012, 03:48:23 PM »

The only problem with saying such things about my 'busa is we'll find the pics Smile

And of course for the trunk, my own 'busa:

I know one guy here who had the 40 liter hard cases mounted as saddlebags.

Carl

dm_gsxr
Weirdo Freak

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

I'm coming for you!

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2012, 03:50:55 PM »

The problem with doing it this way is the bags stick waaay out, as the bike was never originally designed for those generic bags.
On my Duc St4s, the bags are designed for the bike, so they mount really close and follow the curves of the bodywork.  This means the widest part of the bike are the mirrors.  Handy for cutting through traffic etc. (as well as looking better)

You have the Corbin Beetle Bags which are configured to fit the bike. They're a tad on the expensive side though. I like my soft bags really.

Carl

Bad Dad

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2011 GSXR 1000, 2009 Husqvarna TE-450, 2003 RC-51, 2002 DL1000 V-Strom, 98 Valkyrie, 2002 ZRX-1200, ,2003 Gas-Gas EC300,1998 XR-200, 1995 KTM440, Ect...
GPS: Nrthern Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 835

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2012, 04:02:09 PM »

always toured on sport bikes, Ducati 900 ss, ZX-9, Hayabusa, RC-51 and lately a 06 GSXR 1000, which after using it for deer hunting has been replaced with a new 2011 GSXR 1000. On the 06 i lowered the pegs 3/4 inch, added some heavy stainless bar ends to tame some high freq. vibes and.... well that's it. Mounted up some ventura lugage and a tank bag and good for a couple week trip. Oh and a GP pipe..Mmmm.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hinterlan/IMG_0144.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hinterlan/100_0756.jpg
Rammer

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '09 ZX-14, '06 FJR, '08 Wr250x
GPS: north western, WI
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »

Out of curiosity I went into the garage to measure.....

Zx-14 with Givi bags on Twistedthrottle/swmotech rack system = 41" at the widest.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/erikramsted/DSCF3097.jpg

'06 FJR with factory bags = 37" at the widest.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/erikramsted/DSCF3098.jpg

The racks on the Zx-14 couldn't fit much closer. The plastic on the tail section gets a little wider near the middle of the bag.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/erikramsted/DSCF3099.jpg

I guess I don't really care how far they stick out. I can't split lanes here. What matters is the set up works for me. If it's not for you, well then, I guess you won't put Givis on a '14. I tried soft bags for a few years, but they rubbed through the paint on the tail section. The Givis worked perfectly for 2 5000 miles road trips last year.

Sport-touring.Net: ADDATT, all damn drama all the time
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »

Thanks for the real life measurements.
Slightly off topic, I wonder how wide the Motus is with bags, seeing that they are using generic Givi bags too.
Or did Motus work on keeping it narrow?

Dan K

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: '06 Triumph Sprint ST w/ ABS! '03 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 3811

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2012, 06:18:54 PM »

Because it's a factory option, I'm assuming the width was taking into account in the design of the bike and the racks for the side bags.  Hell, they better have gotten it right for $30+K!!!

- Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K

airstash.com - check it out!
SLK50

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: '06 FJR
GPS: Altoona, PA
Miles Typed: 1000

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »

always toured on sport bikes, Ducati 900 ss, ZX-9, Hayabusa, RC-51 and lately a 06 GSXR 1000, which after using it for deer hunting has been replaced with a new 2011 GSXR 1000. On the 06 i lowered the pegs 3/4 inch, added some heavy stainless bar ends to tame some high freq. vibes and.... well that's it. Mounted up some ventura lugage and a tank bag and good for a couple week trip. Oh and a GP pipe..Mmmm.

I sorry but I find absolutely nothing appealing about your set-up.
dm_gsxr
Weirdo Freak

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

I'm coming for you!

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2012, 07:28:14 PM »

I guess I don't really care how far they stick out. I can't split lanes here. What matters is the set up works for me. If it's not for you, well then, I guess you won't put Givis on a '14. I tried soft bags for a few years, but they rubbed through the paint on the tail section. The Givis worked perfectly for 2 5000 miles road trips last year.

I used contact paper under my soft bags, but after the 2nd or 3rd time it fell over in the garage, I wasn't too worried about it any more Smile I figure if I do sell it, I can just grab a replacement set of plastic for a few bucks and keep the old plastic as a trophy in the garage Bigsmile

Carl

Rattlehead

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2012, 07:38:45 PM »

HOLY CRAP! Maybe you should go back a page or 2 and read the conversation on "packing light with a SS"  Lol
Is that a kitchen sink I see in that rear most blue bag?????  Rolleyes Lol

Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »

The only problem with saying such things about my 'busa is we'll find the pics Smile

+1 - swmotech makes multiple luggage racks for the busa - one for the e series and one for the v series.

I just use the top case myself. If you pack smart it's more than enough - and I like the narrow profile. If I need more room, I just strap a drybag on the back seat.

www.ledrider.com
Joey Stalin

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2012, 09:56:08 PM »

I sorry but I find absolutely nothing appealing about your set-up.

Well since we're all voicing opinions, I think it's awesome. Thumbsup

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
Silverbird

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2006 919
GPS: Failville, CO
Miles Typed: 1425

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »

10 things you can not easily (edited) modify on a race replica bike.

1) Fuel Range. A deal breaker in southern Nevada
2) Close ratio transmissions. They do over 100 in 1st, and every shift after that feel like a wasted effort
3) Engine vibs. None are counterbalanced
4) Touring amenites. You'll miss those bungie straps.
5) Ultra light weight flywheels. Pull in the clutch and the revs plummet, makes shifting a pain
6) Stability in the wind.
7) Narrow seats and less potential for aftermarket improvement.
8) Peaky powerbands.  All that power goes to waste on tour (Unless you ride like an a-hole)
9) Weather protection
10) Small alternators

This thread is done  Lol Just kidding...

All of those things can be rendered pointless complaining but here's what it all boils down to.  All these high and mighty numbnuts like to proclaim how "you can't use all that power anyway" so I will argue you can't use all that cornering ability of a race replica on the street.  So why not give up some cornering prowess and treat yourself to a bike that is better suited for touring and buy a novice owned $2500 used race bike.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:02:46 PM by Silverbird » Logged

Titties
Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »

1) Fuel Range. A deal breaker in southern Nevada

That can be fixed.

tourtank.com

Of course, there goes your room for luggage.

10) Small alternators

Say's the blackbird rider.  Lol

www.ledrider.com
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 105

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2012, 01:23:16 AM »

AT, yup Carmel Valley Road.  You and I probably have near-identical pictures of roads in the Central Coast.  Love riding there.  My dream is to retire anywhere there and just ride around all day every day.

Rogue
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 105

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2012, 01:29:46 AM »

Head says VFR, midlife crisis says CBR. Decisions, decisions...

No more VFR800 in the US.  It's replaced by VFR1200 since 2010.  The 800 has now morphed into the more fashionable adventure sport bike with the same chassis with longer wheel travel and different body.  

But if you're looking for a bargain then any well cared for VFR800 will do very well.  Not that a CBR would be bad.  It's just easier to tour on a bike with the stuff all street bike should have but been deleted since the late 1990's--things like a centerstand, fuel gauge, and a nice big windscreen.  I like the VFR800 because it occupies the middle ground.  Equivalent bikes are the Triumph Sprint ST, BMW F800ST (still available new), a few others I can't think of right now.

Rogue
Bad Dad

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2011 GSXR 1000, 2009 Husqvarna TE-450, 2003 RC-51, 2002 DL1000 V-Strom, 98 Valkyrie, 2002 ZRX-1200, ,2003 Gas-Gas EC300,1998 XR-200, 1995 KTM440, Ect...
GPS: Nrthern Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 835

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2012, 08:48:45 AM »

HOLY CRAP! Maybe you should go back a page or 2 and read the conversation on "packing light with a SS"  Lol
Is that a kitchen sink I see in that rear most blue bag?????  Rolleyes Lol

This set up was for a solo trip down to Kentucky, I set up camp at Natural bridge State Park and then went out on day trips with just the tank bag. And the kitchen was In the blue bag, Msr stove, pots, bowls, the whole camping setup, tent, bag, pad, pillow. The blue bag on top had my folding chair in it. Twofinger
This is the usual set up, tank bag and Ventura,

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hinterlan/DSC01887.jpg
Rattlehead

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »

This set up was for a solo trip down to Kentucky, I set up camp at Natural bridge State Park and then went out on day trips with just the tank bag. And the kitchen was In the blue bag, Msr stove, pots, bowls, the whole camping setup, tent, bag, pad, pillow. The blue bag on top had my folding chair in it. Twofinger
This is the usual set up, tank bag and Ventura,

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hinterlan/DSC01887.jpg

Just givin' you a hard time.  Lol
I tend to pack pretty light so to me that looks like about 1/2 a years worth of supplies.  Lol
You obviously use your bike and seem to have a good time so you'll never get more than a mild ribbing from me.  Beerchug

LENSMAN

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: '04 SV650, '97 Honda Blackbird
GPS: Montgomery County, Pa.
Miles Typed: 843

My Photo Gallery

NOW YOU CAN HAVE IT

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »

My CBR1100XX has helibars, pegs from a Buell X12 lowering my feet an inch (I'm 5'10"). I added a Zero Gravity touring screen to give me a little more air deflection. It's pretty comfortable. You should squeeze the tank with your knees to keep from sliding forward- that's with any sport bike. The set up lets me sit fairly upright if I'm just cruising along. A laminar lip might be added to deflect the air a little higher on me, but that's it. A guy in my club just sold his- a '99 with 9,000, yes 9,000 miles on it with lots of extra goodies for $4200.

On my SV650, I put higher handle bars (from an XR100+longer brake&clutch lines)- it's a naked SV), lower pegs, and a national cycle windscreen, done.

Both bikes have head light pulsers (Kisann), rear racks, center stands and light weight mufflers.  I've done 500 mile days on the CBR, and the SV would be even easier. Make sure you have a tire plugger kit and first aid kit.

BTW, I find that a heavy tank bag (Oxford)makes the bike want to tip over, especially the XX when I'm parking or just moving  it at walking speed, so watch how you load your bike. Go to RiderWarehouse for light weight stuff.  I especially like the micro fiber pants. Jeans are heavy & bulky. Have fun. Thumbsup  

BE PREPARED
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal