Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Tour Prepping a SuperSport, Why don't we do this?  (Read 11013 times)

dm_gsxr
Weirdo Freak

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
GPS: Longmont CO
Miles Typed: 4879

My Photo Gallery

I'm coming for you!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »

Is the 'busa a SuperSport? I didn't think so but others may have other opinions.

Carl

http://carl.schelin.org - Web Site - Personal Blog
http://stnlocator.net - Sport-Touring.Net locator service - Emergency Contact List, Couch Surfing when Travelling, Remote Motorcycle Inspection Team
Dan K

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: '06 Triumph Sprint ST w/ ABS! '03 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 3826

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 04:18:01 PM »

I still like the idea of touring on a ZX14 or Busa.  Problem is my riding is pretty much commuting to work and jaunts back and forth to Michigan with maybe 30 minutes of curves that arguably could be called twisties, but are really only fun at double the legal speed limit.  Just doesn't seem to justify that kind of power.  Of course, the occasional 300 mile days for fun.  

The insurance is what stopped me in the past.  Plus, I have the Sprint almost where I want it now and it only has 14k+ miles.  I've been toying with the idea of selling the Daytona and replacing it with a dedicated track bike for maybe half the cost and replacing the Sprint with something a bit nicer with the difference, but we'll see.  Anyone see any B-King's for sale?   Cool

- Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K

airstash.com - check it out!
Joey Stalin
sick of pictures of gas stations

Reputation 15

GPS: nOvA
Miles Typed: 2066

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »

My biggest issue with SuperSports and touring is that unless you are hauling ass they kill you ergo wise. Is just not something I would ever want to do. I rode the GSXR1000 to work a few times (120 miles rt) and that was far enough for me. Why anyone would want to sit on that thing all day is beyond me.  Nuts Shrug

Because a bolt-upright seating position is not good for your back. People are generally too lazy to take the time and train their body to lean forward properly, which allows your back to act more like a springboard than a shock absorber right through your spine. They'd rather have the immediate gratification of a right-now comfortable touring bike. 100 miles on a sport bike is ridiculously easy. I can honestly say that I've felt better after a 650 mile day on my old ZZR600 than I do after 500 miles on the RT-P.

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 359

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 05:29:59 PM »

I still like the idea of touring on a ZX14 or Busa.  Problem is my riding is pretty much commuting to work and jaunts back and forth to Michigan with maybe 30 minutes of curves that arguably could be called twisties, but are really only fun at double the legal speed limit.  Just doesn't seem to justify that kind of power.  Of course, the occasional 300 mile days for fun.  

The insurance is what stopped me in the past.  Plus, I have the Sprint almost where I want it now and it only has 14k+ miles.  I've been toying with the idea of selling the Daytona and replacing it with a dedicated track bike for maybe half the cost and replacing the Sprint with something a bit nicer with the difference, but we'll see.  Anyone see any B-King's for sale?   Cool

- Dan

My insurance is $208/yr w/ full coverage/$500ded. I'm 32, married and have 1 ticket on my record (which oddly enough was in a gutless Ford Focus; not the Busa  Lol )
Insurance may be more affordable than you think. Of course, it seems to vary wildly from place to place.  Headscratch

insert witty saying here.
Rattlehead

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 05:36:12 PM »

I prefer the middle ground. Given my low-back issues, a mild lean-over is far, far more comfortable than fully upright, or RR/SS extreme positions.

I could never go back to day-long riding on either of the extremes (RR or cruiser).

Somewhere in the middle seems to be best for me also. My Busa is slightly "forward" of ideal for me but it works. My knees are what really complain on certain bikes. Folding them up tightly for 500+mi/day is a recipe for walking with a limp for a couple of days.  Sad

GH15

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: R1
Miles Typed: 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »

I tour on an r1 no problems. I can do 500+ miles a day for weeks strait. I modded the seat to be flatter and more comfortable and added adjustable apex clip ons. The bikes as comfortable as anything.

For luggage I use a renntec rack. This allows me a 30 litre bag on the rack, a 40 litre on the tail, and a 20 litre tank bag. Thats all I need to use including my camping gear, as I prefer to camp. I've managed 3 week trip with this setup.

I've gone on rides with guys on their 'touring' bikes that have hard saddle bags, hard tail bag, then bags strapped onto those, with a million other things bungied to the top. I'm like wtf are you guys needing all this shit for? and these guys are staying in hotels. People go hiking for months strait with a lightweight backpack!

If I do a trip and plan on staying in hotels I just use a tail bag. So what is the need for all this luggage? I do wish I had hard luggage for security reasons, but if I plan on leaving my bike somewhere I'll check into a nearby hotel that day.
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6096

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »

Is the 'busa a SuperSport? I didn't think so but others may have other opinions.

Carl

Technically, yes.  I think it's the best compromise between a true lightweight sport bike and a heavy tourer myself.

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
Rattlehead

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 06:18:49 PM »

Technically, yes.  I think it's the best compromise between a true lightweight sport bike and a heavy tourer myself.

I agree. It had everything I wanted (adjustable suspension, power, handling and more room than a supersport) but far less unnecessary bulk than a touring rig. I can easily get everything I need for 3-5days on the road in my soft bag setup (as well as my tent) , which fits with room to spare on that big ol Busa "ghetto booty"  Lol so I'm good to go.  Thumbsup I can't wait to get some miles on her this year.  Cool

Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6096

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »

I agree. It had everything I wanted (adjustable suspension, power, handling and more room than a supersport) but far less unnecessary bulk than a touring rig. I can easily get everything I need for 3-5days on the road in my soft bag setup (as well as my tent) , which fits with room to spare on that big ol Busa "ghetto booty"  Lol so I'm good to go.  Thumbsup I can't wait to get some miles on her this year.  Cool

I'm up to just about 55k now Smile

Got in another 1701 miles last weekend - she still runs like a champion and pulls like a train.

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
dm_gsxr
Weirdo Freak

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
GPS: Longmont CO
Miles Typed: 4879

My Photo Gallery

I'm coming for you!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 07:06:39 PM »

106,000 right now with a three week, 8,000 mile trip coming. I am jonesing for this trip (starts May 20th).

And the 'busa is significantly more comfortable than either Harley (10,000 and 30,000 miles) or the Goldwing (less than 1,000 miles; what a pain in my back and head, not to mention the crazy passenger that insisted I do the speed limit and don't lean so much  Rolleyes )

For a slightly less forward lean, the C14 was really well set up that way. But I still like the 'busa Smile

Carl

http://carl.schelin.org - Web Site - Personal Blog
http://stnlocator.net - Sport-Touring.Net locator service - Emergency Contact List, Couch Surfing when Travelling, Remote Motorcycle Inspection Team
Smoker

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: Big Pig
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 1566

My Photo Gallery

I feel more like I do now than when I got here

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 07:30:43 PM »

I've yet to be left behind on my pig on the streets (slab or mountain road) when riding alone.  

I distinctly remember hearing Mr. Cablebandit on my coms saying, and I quote "Ha-ha!! I caught your ass on the dragon".

Lol

Founding member, Keystone Contingent/Flying Pig Association
Rattlehead

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 08:32:40 PM »

I'm up to just about 55k now Smile

Got in another 1701 miles last weekend - she still runs like a champion and pulls like a train.

I'm just shy of 27,000 right now (bought it the end of last year with a little under 23k). The weather here has been less than cooperative the last several weeks though.  Sad
I hoping I can have another 8000mi year this year. It's hard for me to get much more than that in with 2 young un's and all. Planning on a 1500-2000mi trip this summer and hopefully a few shorter "overnighters". We'll see, gotta wait for mother nature to throw me a bone first.
Seems like I have little to worry about with the big girl though. It's great to hear from other people that have put some more substantial miles on a Busa. I have little doubt that this bike will last the long haul.  Thumbsup The looks may not be everyones cup o' tea but there's little denying that the Busa is one heck of a bike. Cool

Hunter
'twixt the corn rows

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '03 ZX-9 modded & '86 V65 Magna original
GPS: 5000 rounds and a dozen claymores down a dirt road, SC
Miles Typed: 557

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 08:45:17 PM »

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l496/hunter261/Picture044.jpg

My buddies 07 ZX-10 in weekend tour mode. Tent, sleeping bag and pad and clothing for a weekend. My little Thruxton had everything but the kitchen sink but I did have the pots and pans.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l496/hunter261/Picture030.jpg

While it doesn't have the power of the SS's it has the cramped riding position down pat. The early models (like this one) had the low clip-on's and relatively high and back rear sets but with a Pro Pad gel seat I still managed easy 4 to 500 mile days meandering my way back east.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l496/hunter261/Picture065-1.jpg

Another picture from Hwy 64 through New Mexico, east of Taos IIRC, beautiful ride. I ended up doing around 4000 miles on that trip, nearly 3 weeks long and wish I had done it years earlier. The only problem was fuel range on the Thruxton, between 90 and 108 I would be on reserve which amounted to about a cup and a half of fuel left.

I'm planning my next trip in June or July, Maine this time. I figure get a Lobster or 2 for lunch and head back. I'll be taking the 9 as it's a couch in comparison plus the fairing and extra power would only add to the enjoyment of the trip.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l496/hunter261/Picture028.jpg

quote courtesy of atadaskew "Man card?  MAN CARD?  My Vespa key is on a Hello Kitty key chain.
Man f-in card.  F.     AAAARRRR!"
Joey Stalin
sick of pictures of gas stations

Reputation 15

GPS: nOvA
Miles Typed: 2066

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 09:56:44 PM »

Always loved the ZX-9R, nice bike. Thumbsup

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »

works for me Wink
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/blackhills_2007/IMG_0467.jpg

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
sleazy rider

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '06, '07
Miles Typed: 5497

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 10:29:11 PM »

Running an older Daytona 1200 for the past year as my touring/LD rig.  With the 5.5 gallon stock tank, a Corbin seat and some 20mm drop foot pegs, I can withstand 1000 mile days.  I have some Fieldsheer saddlebags and top bag to haul the camping gear and stuff.  Just added an Axio hard shell tank bag for the electronics and personal storage.  It's about to reach 50k miles this week after a SS1000 to Moonshine for the festivities and it's not even broken in yet.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w71/sleazyrider/Triumph%20Daytona%201200/IMG_0001.jpg

This photo is pre-Corbin seat and drop pegs.  We were headed off to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, Dragon and Skyway in a 5 day loop.

I'm a young, soon to be 55 year old rider.  Lol
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:37:38 PM by sleazy rider » Logged
axelwik
Um... Okay

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '99 900ss, '03 ST4s, '11 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
GPS: Albuquerque, NM
Miles Typed: 381

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 11:30:42 PM »

Okay I'll play... here's my ss in sport-touring mode. I think a 1,500 mile weekend qualifies.
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae42/axelwik/P1020047.jpg

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
SummerLove

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Ducati M750 (Gone) Ducati MTS 1000 DS (Dev!)
GPS: San Fransico Bay Area
Miles Typed: 107

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 01:18:45 AM »

My draw to most middleweight ST bikes is that they are good at everything and comfy for me on a day to day basis. I could say the same about adventure bikes but I'm short (it's taking a lot of adjusting to get used to the Multistrada there). As for why I didn't consider getting a SS and using it? Insurance, running cost, no luggage and I don't like inline fours which rules out most of them.
I thought long and hard about doing something like buying a current middleweight standard and adapting it to me needs but I couldn't get decent suspension on any of them.
Every day I ride the multi I love her a little more. I wish her bars were a little lower and she had a banana seat (ST3/Futura was my ideal bike) but I'm adjusting to the up right riding position slowly. It does give you a wonderful amount of control over the bike, especially at low speed.
To the people that want to adapt a SS to ST.. more power to them. Insuring any of the big four liter bikes (600s suck a lot in urban traffic) would cost me 3-4 times what it cost me to insure the Multi or any of the other middleweight ST bikes. Showa stuff on the MTS 1000 DS is quite good suspension wise. I have no complaints 3 weeks in. I'm hunting for a set of bags.. if that fails I'll slap a givi top case on her, get the mounting brackets and find some ST2/3/4 bags to put on her. I suppose I'd rather start with someone designed with compromises I want for the riding I'm doing than try to modify something with a whole different set of compromises into something else.
JSharp

Reputation -62

Motorcycles: 2011 Ninja 1000, ancient KDX 250
GPS: East Central IL
Miles Typed: 760

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 01:59:53 AM »

After owning a C-10 Concours and hating the weight and bulk the idea seemed sound to me. I don't ride all that far anymore and I use soft luggage so the lack of hard bags wasn't an issue. I ride mostly by myself so passenger accommodations aren't a big deal. I have no interest or need for 1000 watts of electrical farkles. Unfortunately in this area there's no such thing as a decent SS bike with 15K or even 10K miles. By that time the initial squid owners have crashed them at least once and run the hell run out of them in addition.

I'll pass on a thrashed bike. I bought a new Ninja 1000 instead. The fairing/windshield could be better on the Ninja but the main thing I really miss from the Concours is the seat. The real upside is it's better in every way as a day to day bike.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:07:58 AM by JSharp » Logged
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 87

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 950 SMR / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 5686

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2012, 07:25:58 AM »

I miss this bike (2005 ZX-6R). Cortech luggage, LuggageLocker tank bag, Alaska Leather sheepskin, and a Puig double-bubble (so I could see the gauges). Otherwise bone stock...

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/garrysimmons/NinjaForSale/wvrat-001.jpg

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
http://www.motoroads.net
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal