Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Tour Prepping a SuperSport, Why don't we do this?  (Read 11323 times)

Rammer

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '09 ZX-14, '06 FJR, '08 Wr250x
GPS: north western, WI
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »

Do you have a pic of it from the rear?

The problem with doing it this way is the bags stick waaay out, as the bike was never originally designed for those generic bags.
On my Duc St4s, the bags are designed for the bike, so they mount really close and follow the curves of the bodywork.  This means the widest part of the bike are the mirrors.  Handy for cutting through traffic etc. (as well as looking better)

Out of curiosity I went into the garage to measure.....

Zx-14 with Givi bags on Twistedthrottle/swmotech rack system = 41" at the widest.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/erikramsted/DSCF3097.jpg

'06 FJR with factory bags = 37" at the widest.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/erikramsted/DSCF3098.jpg

The racks on the Zx-14 couldn't fit much closer. The plastic on the tail section gets a little wider near the middle of the bag.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/erikramsted/DSCF3099.jpg

I guess I don't really care how far they stick out. I can't split lanes here. What matters is the set up works for me. If it's not for you, well then, I guess you won't put Givis on a '14. I tried soft bags for a few years, but they rubbed through the paint on the tail section. The Givis worked perfectly for 2 5000 miles road trips last year.

Sport-touring.Net: ADDATT, all damn drama all the time
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »

Thanks for the real life measurements.
Slightly off topic, I wonder how wide the Motus is with bags, seeing that they are using generic Givi bags too.
Or did Motus work on keeping it narrow?

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Dan K

Reputation 108

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '06 Triumph Sprint ST w/ ABS! '03 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 3855

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2012, 06:18:54 PM »

Because it's a factory option, I'm assuming the width was taking into account in the design of the bike and the racks for the side bags.  Hell, they better have gotten it right for $30+K!!!

- Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K

airstash.com - check it out!
SLK50

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: '06 FJR
GPS: Altoona, PA
Miles Typed: 1009

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »

always toured on sport bikes, Ducati 900 ss, ZX-9, Hayabusa, RC-51 and lately a 06 GSXR 1000, which after using it for deer hunting has been replaced with a new 2011 GSXR 1000. On the 06 i lowered the pegs 3/4 inch, added some heavy stainless bar ends to tame some high freq. vibes and.... well that's it. Mounted up some ventura lugage and a tank bag and good for a couple week trip. Oh and a GP pipe..Mmmm.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hinterlan/IMG_0144.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hinterlan/100_0756.jpg

I sorry but I find absolutely nothing appealing about your set-up.
dm_gsxr
Weirdo Freak

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1989 Honda Transalp
GPS: Longmont CO
Miles Typed: 4879

My Photo Gallery

I'm coming for you!

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2012, 07:28:14 PM »

I guess I don't really care how far they stick out. I can't split lanes here. What matters is the set up works for me. If it's not for you, well then, I guess you won't put Givis on a '14. I tried soft bags for a few years, but they rubbed through the paint on the tail section. The Givis worked perfectly for 2 5000 miles road trips last year.

I used contact paper under my soft bags, but after the 2nd or 3rd time it fell over in the garage, I wasn't too worried about it any more Smile I figure if I do sell it, I can just grab a replacement set of plastic for a few bucks and keep the old plastic as a trophy in the garage Bigsmile

Carl

http://carl.schelin.org - Web Site - Personal Blog
http://stnlocator.net - Sport-Touring.Net locator service - Emergency Contact List, Couch Surfing when Travelling, Remote Motorcycle Inspection Team
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 366

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2012, 07:38:45 PM »

always toured on sport bikes, Ducati 900 ss, ZX-9, Hayabusa, RC-51 and lately a 06 GSXR 1000, which after using it for deer hunting has been replaced with a new 2011 GSXR 1000. On the 06 i lowered the pegs 3/4 inch, added some heavy stainless bar ends to tame some high freq. vibes and.... well that's it. Mounted up some ventura lugage and a tank bag and good for a couple week trip. Oh and a GP pipe..Mmmm.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hinterlan/IMG_0144.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hinterlan/100_0756.jpg

HOLY CRAP! Maybe you should go back a page or 2 and read the conversation on "packing light with a SS"  Lol
Is that a kitchen sink I see in that rear most blue bag?????  Rolleyes Lol

insert witty saying here.
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6106

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:36 PM »

The only problem with saying such things about my 'busa is we'll find the pics Smile

+1 - swmotech makes multiple luggage racks for the busa - one for the e series and one for the v series.

I just use the top case myself. If you pack smart it's more than enough - and I like the narrow profile. If I need more room, I just strap a drybag on the back seat.

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
Joey Stalin
sick of pictures of gas stations

Reputation 15

GPS: nOvA
Miles Typed: 2080

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2012, 09:56:08 PM »

I sorry but I find absolutely nothing appealing about your set-up.

Well since we're all voicing opinions, I think it's awesome. Thumbsup

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
Silverbird

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2006 919
GPS: Failville, CO
Miles Typed: 1439

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »

10 things you can not easily (edited) modify on a race replica bike.

1) Fuel Range. A deal breaker in southern Nevada
2) Close ratio transmissions. They do over 100 in 1st, and every shift after that feel like a wasted effort
3) Engine vibs. None are counterbalanced
4) Touring amenites. You'll miss those bungie straps.
5) Ultra light weight flywheels. Pull in the clutch and the revs plummet, makes shifting a pain
6) Stability in the wind.
7) Narrow seats and less potential for aftermarket improvement.
8) Peaky powerbands.  All that power goes to waste on tour (Unless you ride like an a-hole)
9) Weather protection
10) Small alternators

This thread is done  Lol Just kidding...

All of those things can be rendered pointless complaining but here's what it all boils down to.  All these high and mighty numbnuts like to proclaim how "you can't use all that power anyway" so I will argue you can't use all that cornering ability of a race replica on the street.  So why not give up some cornering prowess and treat yourself to a bike that is better suited for touring and buy a novice owned $2500 used race bike.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:02:46 PM by Silverbird » Logged

Titties
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6106

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »

1) Fuel Range. A deal breaker in southern Nevada

That can be fixed.

tourtank.com

Of course, there goes your room for luggage.

10) Small alternators

Say's the blackbird rider.  Lol

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 105

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2012, 01:23:16 AM »

AT, yup Carmel Valley Road.  You and I probably have near-identical pictures of roads in the Central Coast.  Love riding there.  My dream is to retire anywhere there and just ride around all day every day.

Rogue
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 105

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2012, 01:29:46 AM »

Head says VFR, midlife crisis says CBR. Decisions, decisions...

I notice the 800 isn't even on the Honda site anymore -- 1200 only for the foreseeable future?

No more VFR800 in the US.  It's replaced by VFR1200 since 2010.  The 800 has now morphed into the more fashionable adventure sport bike with the same chassis with longer wheel travel and different body.  

But if you're looking for a bargain then any well cared for VFR800 will do very well.  Not that a CBR would be bad.  It's just easier to tour on a bike with the stuff all street bike should have but been deleted since the late 1990's--things like a centerstand, fuel gauge, and a nice big windscreen.  I like the VFR800 because it occupies the middle ground.  Equivalent bikes are the Triumph Sprint ST, BMW F800ST (still available new), a few others I can't think of right now.

Rogue
Bad Dad

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2011 GSXR 1000, 2009 Husqvarna TE-450, 2003 RC-51, 2002 DL1000 V-Strom, 98 Valkyrie, 2002 ZRX-1200, ,2003 Gas-Gas EC300,1998 XR-200, 1995 KTM440, Ect...
GPS: Nrthern Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 840

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2012, 08:48:45 AM »

HOLY CRAP! Maybe you should go back a page or 2 and read the conversation on "packing light with a SS"  Lol
Is that a kitchen sink I see in that rear most blue bag?????  Rolleyes Lol

This set up was for a solo trip down to Kentucky, I set up camp at Natural bridge State Park and then went out on day trips with just the tank bag. And the kitchen was In the blue bag, Msr stove, pots, bowls, the whole camping setup, tent, bag, pad, pillow. The blue bag on top had my folding chair in it. Twofinger
This is the usual set up, tank bag and Ventura,

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hinterlan/DSC01887.jpg
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 366

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »

This set up was for a solo trip down to Kentucky, I set up camp at Natural bridge State Park and then went out on day trips with just the tank bag. And the kitchen was In the blue bag, Msr stove, pots, bowls, the whole camping setup, tent, bag, pad, pillow. The blue bag on top had my folding chair in it. Twofinger
This is the usual set up, tank bag and Ventura,

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hinterlan/DSC01887.jpg

Just givin' you a hard time.  Lol
I tend to pack pretty light so to me that looks like about 1/2 a years worth of supplies.  Lol
You obviously use your bike and seem to have a good time so you'll never get more than a mild ribbing from me.  Beerchug

insert witty saying here.
LENSMAN

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: '04 SV650, '97 Honda Blackbird
GPS: Montgomery County, Pa.
Miles Typed: 843

My Photo Gallery

NOW YOU CAN HAVE IT

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »

My CBR1100XX has helibars, pegs from a Buell X12 lowering my feet an inch (I'm 5'10"). I added a Zero Gravity touring screen to give me a little more air deflection. It's pretty comfortable. You should squeeze the tank with your knees to keep from sliding forward- that's with any sport bike. The set up lets me sit fairly upright if I'm just cruising along. A laminar lip might be added to deflect the air a little higher on me, but that's it. A guy in my club just sold his- a '99 with 9,000, yes 9,000 miles on it with lots of extra goodies for $4200.

On my SV650, I put higher handle bars (from an XR100+longer brake&clutch lines)- it's a naked SV), lower pegs, and a national cycle windscreen, done.

Both bikes have head light pulsers (Kisann), rear racks, center stands and light weight mufflers.  I've done 500 mile days on the CBR, and the SV would be even easier. Make sure you have a tire plugger kit and first aid kit.

BTW, I find that a heavy tank bag (Oxford)makes the bike want to tip over, especially the XX when I'm parking or just moving  it at walking speed, so watch how you load your bike. Go to RiderWarehouse for light weight stuff.  I especially like the micro fiber pants. Jeans are heavy & bulky. Have fun. Thumbsup  

BE PREPARED
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal