Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Burning Oil: Is it normal? How much is too much?  (Read 33446 times)

Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 12:35:24 am »

This is the first motorcycle on which I followed the manufacturer's recommended break-in instructions.  Go figure.

Well. that's your problem right there   Smile

Of course, that would need a whole new thread  Lol

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 07:50:00 am »

So what were the manufacturer's break-in instructions Frank? (I don't even remember!) Like I said, I broke mine in with an 800-mile ride, getting revs up to 7-8K and never maintaining constant revs at any RPM.

I've been doing more poking around on other forums (including the two big V-Strom forums)...and the general consensus (right or wrong) seems to be for people to say "WHAT!? You're barely losing 1/4-1/2qt every 3-4K miles??? And you're WORRIED? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

One person said "That's NOTHING." Another said "It's probably just a bit getting blown out the crankcase breather." Another said "Hell, most manufacturers won't even do a warranty repair until you're burning a whole quart every 1K miles."

Granted, some of this might be total BS...but it begs the question: should we all consider a motorcycle that loses ZERO oil in 5K miles "normal"...and one that loses ANY (no matter how little) "flawed?"

I honestly don't know. (Just like none of us ever knows what kind of oil to use even after reading 50-page oil threads, LOL) It sounds a lot like the "when do you change your tires?" threads (some guys ride 'em to the threads...others buy new ones the second the start looking vaguely square).

It's all academic to me, since I can't do anything about it anyway but just check the level now and then. Meanwhile, the bike continues to run (and sound) flawless—like a fine Swiss watch.  Bigok

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 08:24:22 am »

Meanwhile, the bike continues to run (and sound) flawless—like a fine Swiss watch.  Bigok

Scott

Well there's you problem.  The Wee should sound like a tractor.  Time to dump it and make it someones else's problem.   Lol

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
Advertisement

ChrisZRX
This space for rent.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: '13 FZ1
GPS: Tyrone, PA
Miles Typed: 776

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 08:27:29 am »

1/2 quart or less in 4,000 miles?

That's well within the acceptable interval.
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 08:54:10 am »

Another said "It's probably just a bit getting blown out the crankcase breather."

I had a bike that did that.  It was easily evidenced by oil accumulating in the airbox, then dripping out of there to the floor.  I replaced the crankcase breather seal twice, then I sold the bike.    Thumbsdown
rgbeard

Reputation 45

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2001 Speed Triple, 2001 Trophy 1200, 2003 GSXR 1000
GPS: Phoenix, AZ and Ensenada, Mexico
Miles Typed: 3961

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 10:22:31 am »

wish my bike used as little oil as yours does. Mine uses almost 2 quarts every 3000 miles

EEK!

Rings?  Do you have any?   LOL.

The distance between “Impossible!” and “All we need is a free weekend and some kind of rocket motor” is about 10 drinks.
malbojah
I got your custom title right here!

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: 08 Yammy FZ1
GPS: Cape Cod, MA
Miles Typed: 908

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 12:56:57 pm »

EEK!

Rings?  Do you have any?   LOL.

Doubt it

94 CBR 1000F w/ 110k miles
08 Red FZ1 with almost no miles
Skee

Reputation 67

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '08 Wee, 2013 Connie
GPS: SE PA
Miles Typed: 1968

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 01:07:39 pm »

So what were the manufacturer's break-in instructions Frank?

I don't remember the exact break-in instructions.  Not supposed to go over 6 or 7 k or for awhile.  I remember wondering if anyone ever follows the manufacturer's break-in instructions and getting close to 70 mpg.  Not like that will ever happen again.  

I think that it's normal for Wee's to use a little oil.  [Unlike my FJR, which never used any, and was run to redline in 4 gears within its first 20 or 30 miles. (Which was not the safest thing nor very smart, not even considering the potential for a performance award.)  I've noticed my Wee appears to use less oil when I keep the revs down; like on a long ride on damp roads during the winter, and seems to drink a bit when I bang off the rev limiters too often, like if I'm trying to keep Rincewind in sight. Lol  [I know that's not good for the engine, but honestly, all my valves were in spec on the last check.  And it's a Wee!]  

Here's my Zen take.  Nothing good ever will ever come from being overly concerned or gentle with a motorcycle.  They will lose respect for you and let you sit by the side of the road.  A little TLC now and then goes a long way in overcoming the aftereffects of any punishing treatment.  Just the same, they won't tolerate uncalled for abuse or neglect.  So pour a little oil in now & then, and enjoy the salad.

Adding a little oil between rides is a lot easier than rebuilding the head to spec by yourself.  I wouldn't worry.

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this d@mn keyboard.
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 02:35:06 pm »

Yeah, break-in is definitely like conversations about oil...or Area 51...or Mitt Romney's taxes.  Lol you'll definitely get a different answer from every person in the conversation. Irode mine away from the shop and literally just rode an "RPM sine wave" for 800 miles...throttling smoothly up and down from 4-5K to 7-8K Yeah, my speed was all over the place—but the mechanic at the shop (who seemed knowledgeable but who knows?) said "Just don't hold it at the same RPM for more than a few seconds."

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
JonS

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, 2x'09, '10
Motorcycles: 2004 Multistrada 1000DS 2014 Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: On the western slope
Miles Typed: 4718

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 06:53:48 am »

My old bike always used some oil, but when it started smoking some, it was time. I put new valve seals in and lapped the valves. Never smoked again.

"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness". - Annie Savoy

“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore?
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 07:06:35 am »

TRiumphs often use a bit of oil. I top mine up every few thousand.

I had a Panther once that left an oil slick behind it. Never had to change the oil, as it was an automatic feature....

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 11:32:40 am »

My '01 air cooled Bandit 1200 burned oil like that but it was known to do that and was a topic of hot debate in the Bandit forums.  I think Suzuki rectified that in the later air cooled Bandits.  BTW, my air cooled Buell XB12R did NOT burn much oil after 10k miles.  By the time it rolled around 20k miles I could go through an oil change cycle of 4k miles without needing to top up.  

So yeah.  Your V-Strom is burning oil abnormally for a liquid cooled, modern engine.  I would consider that bordering on excessive but not enough to get rid of the bike for that reason alone.

This is what you get for getting rid of your '06 VFR800.   Razz

Rogue
chosemerveilleux

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '11
Motorcycles: 84 FJ1100
GPS: The Congested Burbs 62 Furlongs West of Brick City
Miles Typed: 91

My Photo Gallery

My '84 FJ, Van Sant Airfield, Bucks County, PA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 10:27:06 pm »

Perhaps trying a different brand of oil will give you a different result.

My '84 FJ1100 (air-cooled) has 86K miles on it and I add a 1/2 quart make-up in a 5K oil change interval.  I've been running Amsoil 10-40 moto since I got the bike, some 4 years and almost 60K ago.

It's totally not out of the question that your motor will use more/less oil on different brands of oil, never mind the dino/syn choice.

Have you ever given Rotella T 5-40 a shot?  A lot of folks use it in their bikes.  I use it in my wife's Accord;  Went from 2 quarts every 5K miles (Penzoil HM) to 1 quart every 6K miles.  This on a car with 190K miles, so it's worth a shot.  Upside is it's cheap.

There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.

Oscar Wilde  [URL=http://www.f
naustin

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '16 FJR
GPS: Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1411

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 11:55:16 pm »

I would second the recommendation to check the air box for oil drawn up through the breather system. Not familiar with your bike, but I have seen it several times on other bikes.  

davenay67

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '97 H.A.B. 1200, '00 KDX-200 '02 TTR-125L (kids bike), '04 TTR-90E (kids bike)
GPS: Lisle, IL
Miles Typed: 472

My Photo Gallery

Wild One in training....

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 12:19:06 pm »

wish my bike used as little oil as yours does. Mine uses almost 2 quarts every 3000 miles

Mine does too. But in my case, it's known as dropping the entire qty of the sump at the recommended OCI.  Lol  sorry, couldn't resist....

Back on topic, I wouldn't worry about that level of oil usage unless it gets steadily worse over time.

'81 CB250RS (sold), '81 GS550e (sold), '97 GS500E (sold), '94 GSXR-750 (sold), '02 Daytona 955i (sold), '02Ninja 250 (sold), '92 Trident 900 (sold)
yotes65

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 08' Triumph Sprint ST w/ABS & '02 Daytona 955i CE
GPS: Deer Valley Airport - Phx, AZ
Miles Typed: 890

My Photo Gallery

home sweet home...

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 12:51:08 am »

wish I was that lucky....

2006 Sprint ST - All Maintenance was performed by the Triumph Dealer where I’d purchased the bike from until I traded it in. Nothing was every said about the bike being low on oil.

2008 Sprint ST - All Maintenance was performed by my Triumph Dealer where I’d purchased the bike from until they went out of business. At that time the bike had approx 32K miles on it. I'd changed the oil at 36K miles. At 39K miles the engine went. All three Pistons & Rings were shot & the engine was rebuilt by another local Triumph Dealer. As part of the original rebuild I'd paid to have the engine broken in on the shops Dyno. After that I'd checked the oil constantly. Burned a Qt every 1000 miles, WTF. 11K miles later the bike is smoking like you would not believe. Bike has been parked in my garage for the last 2 months. Trying to find the time to break down the engine to see what exactly is the issue. I’m assuming it's the Pistons & Rings again. One Sparkplug was per Black, the middle plug was Black & Tan, the third was corroded.

There are two types of folks in the World... those that Bitch & those that Do... Which are you?

Go Your Own Way - '08 Sprint ST /ABS & '02 Daytona 955i CE IBA #34976
naustin

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '16 FJR
GPS: Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1411

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 08:14:28 am »

Might explain why they went out of buisness

reppans

Reputation 12

Miles Typed: 304

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2012, 09:34:09 am »

I think a lot has to do with cylinder size.  Every large cylinder twin I've had (>1100cc) burned at least 1/4 to 1/2 quart per thousand.  Any smaller cylinder single or multi I've had (each cylinder ~250cc) never burned any oil.
cbsnbiker
I speak only for myself.

Reputation -383

Motorcycles: BMWs: '98 K1200RS, '74 R90/6, '07 F650GS; '06 F650GS (RIP), '94 R1100RS (someone else enjoys it now).
GPS: Upstate NY
Miles Typed: 5693

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 10:44:49 am »

Here's something else to try.

Instead of filling the oil to the top of the sight glass, try filling it to the center of the sight glass.

Then check the oil faithfully, and log the results.

See if the oil consumption is reduced.

1/2 quart or less in 4,000 miles?

That's well within the acceptable interval.

I agree, as long as it's not getting worse.

BMWMOA Life Member, MSF-certified RiderCoach, etc.

Sorry I'm not going to read your link. If it contradicts what I&
smaug

Reputation -5

Motorcycles: triumph america,tiger 1050
Miles Typed: 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2012, 10:05:11 am »

I had a 2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 (former demo bike) that burned enough that I had to pack oil on longer trips.  It burned 200-300 ml per 1000 miles.  If the bike burned more than 1-liter per 1000 miles, it would have been considered for warranty repair.  It consumed oil from the beginning and would need top offs to last the 6000 mile oil change interval.  Pressure tests did not show any problem.  It was one of the reasons that I got rid of that bike.  I put a lot of miles on it while it burned oil.

And now I have that bike 3rd hand from smoker. It burns that 300ml every 300 miles now. Funny thing about that is that good ole smoker never mentioned a thing about it using oil? You and him bein buddies I would assume he had known that little nugget of info. Too bad I wasn't a member of this forum before I bought it,I could have steered clear. Fwiw,the bike still runs strong but it uses a qrt every 3k.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal