Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: So I Took and Bought a Scorpion Helmet  (Read 11104 times)

XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: C14
GPS: Pacific Northwest
Miles Typed: 4090

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:47:42 am »

You have to say it that way right? "took and bought"  Bigsmile

My last helmet was an Arai Profile and I have to say that...

This new Scorpion is a complete piece of junk. Don't waste your time. Yes, I said it. It really doesn't even compare. That's my review.

So now, I have to send it back and spring for a Signet-Q. You really do get what you pay for. Well, almost, because the Arai is overpriced but nicer.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:54:42 am by XLR8 » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 12:58:25 am »

I think you need to get over to the "Who's drinking what tonight?" thread.

Three points where two lines meet
XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: C14
GPS: Pacific Northwest
Miles Typed: 4090

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 01:03:36 am »

I think you need to get over to the "Who's drinking what tonight?" thread.

This is kind of my return to ST.N and I'm finding it hard to come up with stuff to talk about. I thought my disappointment with cheap Chinese helmets was a good place to start. I'm really just bummed that I have to fork out $650 for a new lid.
Advertisement

flips21
Likes to Play With Blocks

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '04 Ducati ST3
GPS: Sonoma County, CA
Miles Typed: 307

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 01:34:49 am »

XLR8,

There is still time.  You can find some Profiles on closeout.  Google is your friend

Really sad to hear that the Scorpian didn't work out.  I was hoping there would be another long profile out there for under $500.

Flip
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 03:28:30 am »

It's all about the price point. Is Scorpion a good quality helmet for the price point? Yes. Will it protect your noggin? Yes.
Are they as good as an Arai or Shoei? Probably not.

Is an Ebay EXL suit as good as an Aerostich? No. Will it do the job? Yes.

IMHO, My EXO700 is one of the nicest lightweight FF helmet's I've owned for 200 bucks brand new when they were new on the market. I'll never part with it for what I paid.

halloween over.
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 06:51:30 am »

What model did you buy and what don't you like about it?

I just bought a Scorpion EXO-750 "Live Fast" to replace a Suomy Spec-1R. I really like the air pump feature to dial in the cheek pad pressure. I thought it was quite the good value for $260. There are too many other things that need money thrown at them around here to spend $500+ on a helmet, so I was shopping for bang-for-the-buck.

I guess I'll see how it works out this season, as I've only used it for a couple rides so far.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
still kickin

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Honda CBR600RR & BMW F800ST
Miles Typed: 205

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 08:19:02 am »

XLR8-- How does it feel to be in the minority?? Many riders who can afford to buy any helmet choose to wear a Scorpion. I just bought a new 1000 from New Enough for $159. Damn fine helmet.

IYO what makes the Scorpion "junk?"
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:55:02 am by still kickin » Logged
ChrisZRX
This space for rent.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: '13 FZ1
GPS: Tyrone, PA
Miles Typed: 776

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 07:04:31 pm »

I'm really liking my EXO 750.
Cozye

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati MTS 1200
Miles Typed: 44

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 08:23:59 pm »

Ive owned a half dozen Arai helmets, used to be a dealer. When I've drawn the line with them though, they have out priced the market. They are well made, and I love the liner material they use, however there are a plethora of great helmets on the market for half the price. And almost everyone makes a lighter helmet than the Arai as well. I've sworn them off. Bought an hjc to replace a corsair v I damaged on the track for my race helmet. I'll be buying something else to replace my rx7 street helmet soon. F&ck Arai.

WERA Ex #696
Louisville, KY
2RR2NV

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R in Blaze Green
GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 1978

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 09:49:22 am »

I loved my EXO-400 until i broke off one of the top vents while wiping it down, getting all the bugs off...... with a paper towel. i still want another and i am looking at the EXO 1100. just need to try one out and see if i really want one. otherwise i'll go EXO 400, 500, 700, 750. i tried the 1000 when they first came out and didn't like the fit. don't know why, but the EXO-400 and 1000 fit differently enough to not bother. Wish there were dealers closer to me so i can try some out.

i "like" my RF1000 but it's old and needs replacement (and they are too expensive for what ya get, so.... not getting another). plus, i usually buy a new helmet every time i get another bike.... i'm weird like that. Smile

If you're gonna go, go with a smile!  Smile

current ride:   2012 ZX-14R   previous rides:  2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR 750, 2002 Hayabusa, 2002 Honda VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk
auggius

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '95 VFR750; '96 DR350SE
GPS: Kaslo, BC
Miles Typed: 177

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 01:58:42 pm »

I have had Arai Quantums E/F in the past and if Arai still made the Quantum I would have bought one, but their new model line-up don't fit my head like it used to. So I bought an Exo-700 which I got for $170CDN. Fits almost as well and has some new features like the fully removeable helmet liner. Only the cheekpads were removeable with the Arai.

Many cursed the Arai shield system but I quite liked it. It requires a bit of force but once you get the hang of it you can change the shield while wearing the helmet. Check out footage of Arai wearers in IoM during their pit stop. Pit guy lifts shield up and yanks it out, pops in new shield in less than 3 seconds. Admittedly a self-change takes a bit longer but easily doable.

The shield system on the Scorpion is one thing I don't like. Or more correctly, half dislike, because it's easy to remove the right side but awkward on the left. If they had just reversed the direction of the left knob to mirror the right it would be a non-issue.

Overall, the Exo-700 is a really good helmet, made better by its price. Check out the British website, SHARP, which tests helmets. The Scorpion rates higher than the Arai.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelmetlist?sharp-make=131&sharp-model=EXO-700&sharp-type=All&sharp-rating=1&sharp-price-from=0&sharp-price-to=9999&discontinued=1

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelmetlist?sharp-make=99&sharp-model=Quantum&sharp-type=2&sharp-rating=1&discontinued=1
Tyrroneous
Slow Attack Cow

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '07 Triumph Daytona 675, 2000 SV650N, '03 XR400R, '09 KLX250S
GPS: Bham, AL
Miles Typed: 2352

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 12:44:04 pm »

The shield system on the Scorpion is one thing I don't like. Or more correctly, half dislike, because it's easy to remove the right side but awkward on the left. If they had just reversed the direction of the left knob to mirror the right it would be a non-issue.

This is my main complaint too!  I've had two EXO 700's.  Both bot on closeout for around $100.  For that amount, they are outstanding helmets...just a bit on the heavy side.  But they have better than average ventilation and are not too terribly loud and fit my head perfectly.  

Ride On...
X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 534

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 02:36:42 pm »

I have the money to buy whatever helmet I want but I bought 3 Scorpions.  Why?  They fit my head shape better than other brands I've tried on, no matter the price point.  I have 2 Exo-900s and a Exo-1000 which gets little love as the flip ups are more important to this allergy sufferer.  So far, fit and finish have been quite good and they hold up under normal use.  Even Shoei's Multitech didn't score as high as the Scorpion at twice the price.

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: 05 FJR, 91 ZX-11 - SOLD!
GPS: Covington WA
Miles Typed: 3499

My Photo Gallery

What we have here is failure to communicate

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 02:45:21 pm »

Boy, really brought out the Scorpion Fanboys with this one.  I bought an EXO-1000 and thought it was a waste of $$.  Heavy and loud.

ATGATT - All the Garbage all the time
Dan K

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4226

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 04:06:33 pm »

My everyday helmet is an Arai Corsair V.  Ridiculously expensive.  

I bought a Scorpion EXO-1000 on clearance a year or two ago for $99.  I think it's pretty close to the Arai in quality, but I haven't used it as much.  I usually use it on the track, as it's tighter on the ears and keeps my glasses higher on my nose even when I'm bending down in the more aggressive position for my Daytona.  Don't see any flaws, maybe the little lever for popping the shield open...Anyway, to say they're junk is a bit overboard from what I can see.  A little heavy, but not noticeably so.  Does have a whistle at high speed.  Still like it.

-Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
Max Wedge
Engineering Pathologist

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: '10 R1200GS '06 YZ250F
GPS: The mitten in Region 4
Miles Typed: 2460

My Photo Gallery

Sport-Mowing.net

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 05:55:07 pm »

I have a Profile and LOVE it. Tried on a Signet-Q as a possible replacement--but the fit was nothing like the Profile. I actually went down a size to get close (as many people have said) but it wasn't the "ahhh" fit I got with the Profile. Not many left on closeout, I looked, but if you XXS or XXXL and don't care about the colors, you might find one. Tried on a Bell RS1 (?), and it was very close, and pretty well made. I bought a closeout XD3 for the summer until a qualified Profile replacement can be found.
chosemerveilleux

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '11
Motorcycles: 84 FJ1100
GPS: The Congested Burbs 62 Furlongs West of Brick City
Miles Typed: 91

My Photo Gallery

My '84 FJ, Van Sant Airfield, Bucks County, PA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 08:30:36 pm »

I have an EXO-700 that I use in the colder months.  I haven't had any problems with it quality wise, although I fumbled it once walking down into my basement and ripped off the shield.  Totally my bad, and a new visor from Revzilla and new mounting bits from Scorpion (free, shockingly enough-their customer service rocks) and it was good to go.  Sure, I like my Evoline and my Nolan helmets better, but that's because they're modulars, which I honestly prefer to a FF.  I've looked at the Shoeis and Arais, and given their price premium, I damn sure don't think they're worth 3x the price of a EXO-700, not by a long shot.  I'll never buy a Shoei or an Arai when I can purchase a Shark Evoline all day for less than $400, never mind the new Nolan 104, which I just pulled the trigger on for $350.  I've never had a problem paying for quality, but IMHO the quality difference between an Arai or Shoei and a Nolan is nonexistent so the extra $$$ is poorly spent.  And while there is a difference between a Scorpion helmet and an Arai, the difference is negligible when compared to the logarithmic difference between many cheaper helmets and a Scorpion.  Their mid line stuff is a very good buy, period.  Can't ever say that about Arai or Shoei, unless they're the only helmets that fit you.  Just my 2 Sesterce, mind you.

There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.

Oscar Wilde  [URL=http://www.f
X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 534

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 11:09:45 pm »

Boy, really brought out the Scorpion Fanboys with this one.  I bought an EXO-1000 and thought it was a waste of $$.  Heavy and loud.

I agree with you.  Looks like it should vent well, but it flows air for crap and fogs up extremely fast in the cold.  One of the reasons it hangs on a hook in my garage with very low hours.  Not a buy again item.

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
flips21
Likes to Play With Blocks

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '04 Ducati ST3
GPS: Sonoma County, CA
Miles Typed: 307

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 11:41:59 pm »

I have a Profile and LOVE it. Tried on a Signet-Q as a possible replacement--but the fit was nothing like the Profile. I actually went down a size to get close (as many people have said) but it wasn't the "ahhh" fit I got with the Profile.

The Profile fits my head better than any other helmet I have tried or owned since I started riding in '79.  Now that I know how good it can feel, I fear I will never be satisfied again.  I hope someone has something out there that has a similar fit.  But I doubt it exists.

Flip
jeepinbanditrider
KK6RBI

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 78 Suzuki GS1000, 04 DL650
GPS: Greenville, Tx.
Miles Typed: 1215

My Photo Gallery

Alright Meow!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 11:01:48 am »

I've owned a few Scorpions.

EXO700-  Probably one of the best single helmets I've ever owned.  Vented well, comfy, fairl lightweight.

EXO500-  Heavier than the 700 and the chinbar was a little close to my face.  Internal sunvisor is a huge selling point for me I hate carrying extra shields with me.  Vents ok.

EXO900-  Not a horrible helmet but not great.  Noisy as all get out though not a huge deal for me as I wear ear plugs.  HEAVY.  It now mostly sits in the barn and my EXO500 is back on my head.

1978 GS1000,  2004 VSTROM 650, 2008 MazdaSpeed3
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal