Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Down
Print

Topic: Just how Fat are we going to get!  (Read 14937 times)

Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2012, 01:04:45 PM »

According to economic statistics, the US economy relies on consumption for over 50%.  That is, consumption of all things like autos, appliances, clothing, services, and FOOD.  The food industry is big business here.  Is it any wonder that it's taken to different levels of extremes by the public?  Many people can't control themselves.

Rogue
TuffguyF4i

Reputation -140

Motorcycles: '02 F4i, '99 1100xx, '04 GSXR 750
GPS: Syracuse, NY
Miles Typed: 2763

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2012, 07:54:40 PM »

You missed my point completely.  These Smorgasbords became so popular because lots of people went to them.  I agree that the restaurants are simply filling the demand, which goes to show how American habits have changed since then.

I just used your post as an excuse to rant about a hot topic for me.  No offense intended.   Bigsmile

Eventually the people rise as the people always do, and the government exerts it's power in the form of totalitarian rule to violently squash the revolution.  Then you will know it is too late.
misanthropist

Reputation 36

Motorcycles: '07 Guzzi Griso; '95 gsxr 750, fightered
Miles Typed: 555

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2012, 08:13:29 PM »

You can get skinny on a diet of processed crap, but I am proof you will feel much, much better if you cut the crap out and start eating more filling, nutrient rich unprocessed foods.

I'm not 100% there yet, and I still feel amazing.  I still have a diet soda and protein bars, and a single slice of gluten free toast every morning.  Other than that, meat, veggies, and fruit.

Well, you're certainly not likely to make things worse for yourself by eating healthy foods.  I am a believer in clean eating myself...I find it helps me recuperate more quickly from the constant damage I am doing to my connective tissues.

And if this thread was, "just how slowly are we going to recuperate from injuries?" I would absolutely be advocating eating well and exercising often.  It's right up there with not being fat from a health perspective.

What gets to me is the belief that fat people are fat because they don't have enough "healthy eating options".  NO!  Fat people are fat because they overeat.

Frankly I just don't believe that there is a person left in the entire western world that doesn't know what healthy food looks like, and whether exercise is good for you, and that if you eat too much you get fat, and that if you stop eating you lose weight.  

We are perfectly aware of what it takes to be healthy.  Don't shovel Krispy Kremes in to your mouth five times a day.  Step on the damn scale once a week.  Trending up?  Back off the food.  Trending down?  Increase food.  Eat some god damn salads.  Go for a jog or a swim a few times a week.  Not too fucking difficult!

But it is more difficult that sitting on a couch and shovelling in Krispy Kremes, and THAT'S why America - and every other western nation - is fat.

yeah, THE misanthropist...now featuring grey hair, a mortgage, and a wife

PMATG, NATT
Kneescrubber
King of the 90 flat turn

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: '99 Honda VFR, '73 BMW R75/5
GPS: The western U.S. is strewn with paper maps I've lost from my tankbag.
Miles Typed: 3787

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »

Well, you're certainly not likely to make things worse for yourself by eating healthy foods.  I am a believer in clean eating myself...I find it helps me recuperate more quickly from the constant damage I am doing to my connective tissues.

And if this thread was, "just how slowly are we going to recuperate from injuries?" I would absolutely be advocating eating well and exercising often.  It's right up there with not being fat from a health perspective.

What gets to me is the belief that fat people are fat because they don't have enough "healthy eating options".  NO!  Fat people are fat because they overeat.

Frankly I just don't believe that there is a person left in the entire western world that doesn't know what healthy food looks like, and whether exercise is good for you, and that if you eat too much you get fat, and that if you stop eating you lose weight.  

We are perfectly aware of what it takes to be healthy.  Don't shovel Krispy Kremes in to your mouth five times a day.  Step on the damn scale once a week.  Trending up?  Back off the food.  Trending down?  Increase food.  Eat some god damn salads.  Go for a jog or a swim a few times a week.  Not too fucking difficult!

But it is more difficult that sitting on a couch and shovelling in Krispy Kremes, and THAT'S why America - and every other western nation - is fat.

So based on your (and others) rant, Americans specifically and developed countries (generally) are all weak minded and can't control their urges. And that's the only reason we/they have an overweight problem. Do I have that right?

I'm on ST.N so its not like I'm a productive member of society anyway.   DogBoy
It's the internet.  It runs on drama.    Cablebandit
The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
Mr. Whippy

« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »

So based on your (and others) rant, Americans specifically and developed countries (generally) are all weak minded and can't control their urges. And that's the only reason we/they have an overweight problem. Do I have that right?

I think it's probably more fair to say we have a lot of spare money and cushy lives and choose to use food as an leisure activity.  Add to that, a soft cushy life that doesn't require physical activity and you have a recipe for excess calorie consumption.
misanthropist

Reputation 36

Motorcycles: '07 Guzzi Griso; '95 gsxr 750, fightered
Miles Typed: 555

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2012, 10:10:37 PM »

I think it's probably more fair to say we have a lot of spare money and cushy lives and choose to use food as an leisure activity.  Add to that, a soft cushy life that doesn't require physical activity and you have a recipe for excess calorie consumption.

I think that this is accurate but combines with a species that has evolved to live in times of great scarcity that don't exist in the western world...we are naturally programmed to gorge ourselves when possible and it takes effort to overcome that instinct.

The weaker you are, the less likely it is you'll try to overcome the desire for food.

There are also occasional people, out at the ends of the bell curve, who I believe are better or worse at storing glycogen, so some people can slack off on when and how much they eat at any given time and pay less of a price for it than others.

As far as people staying fat, that's either a lack of interest in changing your body, which is fairly (and I believe increasingly) common, or a failure of will, or, in extremely rare circumstances, a metabolic disorder.

So it is not necessarily that people are weak...they may just be uninterested, which is entirely their right as far as I am concerned.  Not everybody cares about being slender.  I don't happen to care about my hair and I cut it myself, and I wash it with hand soap.  It is an aspect of my body that does not interest me at all.  If others feel that way about their weight I am absolutely fine with that.

I only become interested when people begin to act like the reason they can't lose weight is some great mystery beyond their control.

yeah, THE misanthropist...now featuring grey hair, a mortgage, and a wife

PMATG, NATT
Kneescrubber
King of the 90 flat turn

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: '99 Honda VFR, '73 BMW R75/5
GPS: The western U.S. is strewn with paper maps I've lost from my tankbag.
Miles Typed: 3787

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2012, 10:18:23 AM »

A helpful website for those that are interested.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

I'm on ST.N so its not like I'm a productive member of society anyway.   DogBoy
It's the internet.  It runs on drama.    Cablebandit
The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2012, 11:28:49 AM »

Yup.  Mr. whippy got it.

Our society is rich enough to easily afford the finer things in life.  Delicious food in abundance is one of them. So a lot of Americans consume lots of food for pleasure.  When I used to go to those Sunday brunches, the wait to sit would sometimes be 30-45 min.  

Given the same circumstances, any person regardless of nationality or country in which they reside will be easily give in to the temptation.  Hell!  I was in a third world country and was eating in a posh restaurant (where the rich people of the country live) and I saw a few fatties in there and none of them were Americans!  

Rogue
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2012, 11:36:25 AM »

I don't happen to care about my hair and I cut it myself, and I wash it with hand soap.  It is an aspect of my body that does not interest me at all.

Dude, hair on a man's head is precious.  If you have it, flaunt it and celebrate every day that you have it.   Lol  Once it's gone it's GONE!  Ask anyone who has lost theirs!

I have mine professionally cut.  Then I shampoo AND condition everyday.  I'm getting to that age where other men in my generation are beginning to lose theirs so I worship mine.   Wink

Rogue
CheesyRider

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2015 Honda Goldwing F6B, 2011 BMW R1200R
GPS: White Bear Lake, MN
Miles Typed: 246

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »

Dude, hair on a man's head is precious.  If you have it, flaunt it and celebrate every day that you have it.   Lol  Once it's gone it's GONE!  Ask anyone who has lost theirs!

I have mine professionally cut.  Then I shampoo AND condition everyday.  I'm getting to that age where other men in my generation are beginning to lose theirs so I worship mine.   Wink

I actually have a full head of hair and sometimes go "bald by choice" during the summer.

Ok, back on topic.  I am a formerly very fat person, but am now just a little bit fat.  I have lost 60 pounds since January 1st and have 15 pounds to go.  For me, it is will power that is helping me lose weight.  My biggest hurdle was to convince myself that I had the will power in the first place.  It helped greatly that there are some people I personally know who lost weight and kept it off.  Ridiculing fat people as not having will power does absolutely nothing to inspire them to lose weight.  It only serves to make those who do the ridiculing feel superior.  
cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5798

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2012, 01:47:42 PM »

I actually have a full head of hair and sometimes go "bald by choice" during the summer.

Ok, back on topic.  I am a formerly very fat person, but am now just a little bit fat.  I have lost 60 pounds since January 1st and have 15 pounds to go.  For me, it is will power that is helping me lose weight.  My biggest hurdle was to convince myself that I had the will power in the first place.  It helped greatly that there are some people I personally know who lost weight and kept it off.  Ridiculing fat people as not having will power does absolutely nothing to inspire them to lose weight.  It only serves to make those who do the ridiculing feel superior.  

How should us skinny bitches encourage you?  Razz

Lauren
Real Bad Attitude

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: Triumph Bonneville T100
GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 2020

My Photo Gallery

An armed society is a polite society

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »

How should us skinny bitches encourage you?  Razz

Making a sammich would be a good start.
Oh and fetching a cold beer would keep that good start going in the right direction!!  Cool

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have".

cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5798

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: May 08, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »

Making a sammich would be a good start.
Oh and fetching a cold beer would keep that good start going in the right direction!!  Cool

If I'm fixing it, then you're getting a lettuce wrapped hamburger and chai with coconut milk.  Twofinger

Lauren
Real Bad Attitude

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: Triumph Bonneville T100
GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 2020

My Photo Gallery

An armed society is a polite society

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »

If I'm fixing it, then you're getting a lettuce wrapped hamburger and chai with coconut milk.  Twofinger

Thats cool thats cool, no need to get all huffy, just hurry, I'm hungry!!
And don't forget that beer!!!  Lol

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have".

Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: May 08, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »

Ridiculing fat people as not having will power does absolutely nothing to inspire them to lose weight.  It only serves to make those who do the ridiculing feel superior.  

I don't believe anyone is ridiculing fat people here.  A few of us have been there done that.

Having said that, if someone ridiculed me because I was fat, I would be hurt yes, but it would make me mad enough to change my ways and "show them".  What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  Actually only two people made fun of my fattness:  my own Father and one dickhead at work.  My Dad was brutal.  But he's my Dad so I just blew it off.  The one guy did at work...he was fresh off the plane from China.  Motherfooker!  I told him at least I wasn't ugly like him (he was butt-ugly).  That stopped him from using me as a comedic relief immediately!  

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:27:22 PM by Rogue » Logged

Rogue
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »

Not ridiculing by any means, but sometimes one has to just  Rolleyes

Example - a lady at work maybe 18months ago got the lap band (kinda like stomach stapeling).  She was obese.  She lost some weight, but is still obese, and now seems to be gaining it back.
She thinks she is snacking healthily by eating nuts.  Problem is, she has a big packet of shelled nuts (sunflower seeds? almonds? I can't tell) and instead of taking a few out and packaging them separately for work, she brings the big bag, and eats directly from it, pouring it into her mouth.

Exercise?  Refuses to do it.  It is four stories from the parking structure to the office.  I take the stairs.  She waits for the elevator.

There are so many people like her.  They know they have a problem, but instead of facing it head on like some have on this site, they look for the easy answer.  Even though it can be dangerous - like  surgery.  But do nothing to actually change their lifestyle.  And are somehow surprised that nothing changes.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: May 08, 2012, 07:42:37 PM »

That lap-band surgery/stomach stapling is the worst thing any doctor could ever come up with.  I can't believe it's an approved procedure!

It doesn't actually work because the stomach stretches AGAIN as the person slowly increases their food intake!  It only works IF the person reduces their intake and makes it a habit.  Tragic.

Rogue
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: May 08, 2012, 08:01:46 PM »

That lap-band surgery/stomach stapling is the worst thing any doctor could ever come up with.  I can't believe it's an approved procedure!

Easy there cowboy, that is one of this site's banner sponsors:

http://www.oliakcenter.com/sleeve-gastrectomy/surgery/?gclid=CLCsrpPz8a8CFQ5bhwodVgnNeA

Seriously, it was a banner at the bottom of this thread.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
sodapop6620

Reputation 35

Motorcycles: ZREX
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 1660

My Photo Gallery

Screw Christmas

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2012, 08:55:29 PM »

I would like to thank the clean plate club and the starving children in Africa. Also the lack of nerve to tell adults that they could pack up the leftovers and ship them to Africa.

Wildcard Tag http://tinyurl.com/69dfzaa   Half my lies aren't true.

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. Dean Martin
cbsnbiker
I speak only for myself.

Reputation -383

Motorcycles: BMWs: '98 K1200RS, '74 R90/6, '07 F650GS; '06 F650GS (RIP), '94 R1100RS (someone else enjoys it now).
GPS: Upstate NY
Miles Typed: 5693

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »

(emphasis mine)

What an excellent observation, and an adroit description of many of the supercilious people posting in this thread.  Thumbsup

BMWMOA Life Member, MSF-certified RiderCoach, etc.

Sorry I'm not going to read your link. If it contradicts what I&
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal