Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Explorer is in the U.S.!  (Read 3900 times)

pushr0d
ReMember

Reputation 12

Miles Typed: 115

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:07:28 PM »

If it's posted elsewhere, I apologize, but the Explorer is in U.S Dealerships.

Earlier than Triumph said it would be...
Duc OT

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Ducati ST3S ABS
GPS: Albakerky, NM
Miles Typed: 124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 08:01:47 AM »

Yep.  On Tuesday night, my dealer sent me an e-mail saying "it's here".  I went down to look at it on Wednesday during lunch.  As I pulled into the parking lot, the new owner was suiting up to ride his new Explorer home.

I did manage to sit on the bike for 30 seconds and was amazed that I could easily get both feet on the ground (I'm 5'6" and have a 31" inseam).

Dealer said a handfull of Beemer riders were at the store first thing in the AM.  I think this bike is going to generate a lot of renewed interest.  I don't thing the bike is for me though.  Not enough wind protection for the kind of riding I do, but it does give me hope for the Trophy 1200 to come out later in the year.

One last thought.  The exhaust was not a robust as I imagined it would be.

Cheers,
Duc OT
1982 Kawasaki KZ 550; 1983 Kawasaki KZ 1000J Eddie Lawson Replica; 2006 Ducati ST3S ABS (the Perfect Cannoli!); 2007 BMW K1200S (sold)
expatbrit

Reputation 13

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1205

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:47:45 AM »

Yep.  On Tuesday night, my dealer sent me an e-mail saying "it's here".  I went down to look at it on Wednesday during lunch.  As I pulled into the parking lot, the new owner was suiting up to ride his new Explorer home.

I did manage to sit on the bike for 30 seconds and was amazed that I could easily get both feet on the ground (I'm 5'6" and have a 31" inseam).

Dealer said a handfull of Beemer riders were at the store first thing in the AM.  I think this bike is going to generate a lot of renewed interest.  I don't thing the bike is for me though.  Not enough wind protection for the kind of riding I do, but it does give me hope for the Trophy 1200 to come out later in the year.

One last thought.  The exhaust was not a robust as I imagined it would be.

Ah, damn. I was wondering if it was a pre-sold one (pretty sure it was, since I was chatting to Dean at Lone Star in Austin, and his was pre-sold and no others were getting in until July)

Wanted to sit on it, though I don't see it as a replacement for the Mutley either. I could stand to be convinced, since I miss being a Triumph owner!!
Rincewind

Reputation 121

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13663

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »

I wish I had a dealer nearer to me to check it out.  Maybe in a few weeks I'll see one when I go for servicing my 675.  If I'm lucky they will have a demo model by then.

Here are two pics from NYC bike show (not me in the pic).  I had a seat on it and it felt very comfortable though also very large - similar to a R1200GS or Super Tenere.  

expatbrit

Reputation 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:54:22 AM »

I wish I had a dealer nearer to me to check it out.  Maybe in a few weeks I'll see one when I go for servicing my 675.  If I'm lucky they will have a demo model by then.

Here are two pics from NYC bike show (not me in the pic).  I had a seat on it and it felt very comfortable though also very large - similar to a R1200GS or Super Tenere.  

What I /heard/ was demos not until July. Super suck.

I'm horribly spoilt; PJs, our local dealer, is 40m walk from my house. (Still hot in gear, but I CAN walk home)
Rincewind

Reputation 121

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13663

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 01:38:43 PM »

What I /heard/ was demos not until July. Super suck.

I'm horribly spoilt; PJs, our local dealer, is 40m walk from my house. (Still hot in gear, but I CAN walk home)

Too bad for you.  A dealer near me is advertising Explorer demo rides on May 12 as part of their Adventure-bike demo day.  Maybe I should sign up!

http://www.martinmoto.com/default.asp?page=adventure-touring
expatbrit

Reputation 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 04:02:57 PM »

Too bad for you.  A dealer near me is advertising Explorer demo rides on May 12 as part of their Adventure-bike demo day.  Maybe I should sign up!

http://www.martinmoto.com/default.asp?page=adventure-touring

Nice!

Maybe it'll be sooner then. Should be good for me; I'm tall enough that the bike is likely a pretty good fit.
Spence

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2013 Triumph Scrambler, 2008 Triumph Tiger1050, wifes 2011 Ducati monster696
GPS: central PA
Miles Typed: 360

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 08:47:07 AM »

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee103/turbospence/IMG_1168.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee103/turbospence/IMG_1169.jpg

Taken yesterday at Kissels in State College, Pa.   I set on it. The Owner of dealer(i think) just got back from a 5 min ride and raved about the engine and was saying something about nicest triumph made

so far. Then he walked back outside and put the sold sign on it.
caddydaddy

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 ABS
GPS: Belle Chasse, LA
Miles Typed: 1232

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:16:32 AM »

My local dealer just got one in stock.  It'll probably be out the door as well, before I get a chance to drool on it.   Sad

2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 ABS - Pacific Blue

Race Tech fork springs, TOR muffler and tune, K&N air filter, Flip up Aero screen, PowerBronze hugger & R&G sliders!
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5716

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:31:58 PM »

They seem to be well built.  I haven't ridden one yet, but would like to.  I don't like the way the GS rides at all, so my guess is that it wouldn't be my cup of tea.  It is very room when sitting on it though - like a lighter barcalounger Smile
Duc OT

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Ducati ST3S ABS
GPS: Albakerky, NM
Miles Typed: 124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 10:31:50 PM »

I was chatting with my service writer and he said the valve inspection interval is at the first 10K miles, but then goes to a 20K mile interval.  He also said the tranny is a casette style.  should be easy to repair if the need arises.

Cheers,
Duc OT
1982 Kawasaki KZ 550; 1983 Kawasaki KZ 1000J Eddie Lawson Replica; 2006 Ducati ST3S ABS (the Perfect Cannoli!); 2007 BMW K1200S (sold)
expatbrit

Reputation 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »

I was chatting with my service writer and he said the valve inspection interval is at the first 10K miles, but then goes to a 20K mile interval.  He also said the tranny is a casette style.  should be easy to repair if the need arises.

Hah.

The one at PJs? Should have guessed who bought it. Smile
cubby

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: concours 14
Miles Typed: 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »

I actually got to ride one this past week, two weeks after riding a Super Tenere.  I have a Vstrom 1000 and both bikes are obviously more advanced.  I am 6'3 and for me the Tenere fit the bill with its seat height at the 34" mark in the high setting.  But this is about the Triumph.  I think it will fit people alot better than some think.  Especially versus the BMW or Yamaha.  I feel the seat to peg relationship is better for people 6'1 and under.  Brakes were fantastic, and the transmission was really smooth.  Of course I'm used to a Suzuki at this point.  Power, unreal!  I felt like I was on my Connie 14 (no longer have) and it was quite deceiving because I was expecting an adventure bike engine.  Just a little throttle and it would move.  Triumph claims 135 hp at the crank, which will probably end up around the 120 to 122 hp mark at the wheel after magazine tests.  The Connie was around the 130 hp mark at the wheel, take away the extra weight from the Concours...well you get the picture.  I did feel some heat on the right side and it was only about 80 degrees that day.  After reading a past issue of Rider on the 800's it must be a common "triple" characteristic before broken in.
X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 506

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »

I'm waiting for Triumph to build some tubeless spoke wheels and see if the final drive holds up.  Something I wish the 800XC had or it would be in my garage right now.  Maybe an Adventure version is on the horizon.  "Explorer Adventure?"

In the meantime, the Stelvio NTX is on my radar.  But I'm hesitant on a few things after reading thru the topics on the Guzzi tech forum.

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: 1336

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »

Shaft looks like it should say CARC on the side, looks exactly like the Guzzi shaft case to me, just on the "proper" side.
And the Bazooka pipe looks from the the same supplier as the C14. I know a lot of parts from my buddy's older 96 sprint are identical to Kawasaki parts.

Interesting looking motorcycle, for sure. I won't be replacing the C10 anytime soon, so these will be on the market for a couple years and we'll see how the electrical systems do.

I know there's a lot of love for the Sprint's here, my friends  Sprint ST has been very good, but there are electrical issues now and then.
I need a bike that spins up to life with a touch of the starter, each and every time, without fail.

I'd like to see one in screaming yellow. WTF is it with these dull silver/grey bikes?????? I know the 800 Tigers are available in some pretty cool color schemes.

A set of nice hard cases and a matching topbox in a nice color with a decent aftermarket can and this thing would be the shit.  Thumbsup Thumbsup

I'm liking what I hear about the motor too. C14-type power in an adventure/touring bike with a shaft drive sounds very, very appealing to me.

halloween over.
Dave_S

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer Launch Edition
GPS: Douglas, MA
Miles Typed: 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 12:10:27 PM »

I picked mine up last week.  Put a few hundred miles on over the weekend, and I have been super-impressed with this bike.  I like it much better than my previous ride - Tiger 1050.  Great motor, smooth transmission, don't even notice the shaft drive at all.  The suspension is much better than the 1050's, easy to adjust between solo and 2-up riding.  Overall, love it!

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6141/imageeet.jpg

2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer Launch Edition
Scratch33

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, 2x'10
Motorcycles: '08 R1200GSA, '09 DD750, '07 F800S, '10 Madass 125
GPS: That Other Place
Miles Typed: 12380

My Photo Gallery

His Excellency's Car!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 01:30:02 PM »

I'm waiting for Triumph to build some tubeless spoke wheels and see if the final drive holds up.  

I looked at an Explorer today at the local dealer.  A Tiger was sitting right next to it and one of the questions I asked the salesman was whether Triumph offered spoked wheels for the Explorer.  Apparently not, according to his research.  I found that a bit odd.

All Your Forum Are Belong to VS
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 950 SMR / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 5630

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »

You can always get a set of tubeless spoke wheels built. R Doug did that for his Adventure (17/19).

For the intended use of the bike (paved roads, well-maintained dirt roads), the cast wheels are probably fine. Just avoid hitting potholes at warp speed.

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
http://www.motoroads.net
Doesn't speak for me

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: Honda 919
GPS: Eastern Western MA
Miles Typed: 649

My Photo Gallery

Motorcycles are dumb.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 03:28:40 PM »

I picked mine up last week.  Put a few hundred miles on over the weekend, and I have been super-impressed with this bike.  I like it much better than my previous ride - Tiger 1050.  Great motor, smooth transmission, don't even notice the shaft drive at all.  The suspension is much better than the 1050's, easy to adjust between solo and 2-up riding.  Overall, love it!

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6141/imageeet.jpg

That blue is sexy....  Drool

ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: 1336

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 03:43:02 PM »

Needs another body panel or two. Too much tubage/black going on, not enough color.

halloween over.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal