Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Boots: TCX X5 Plus vs. TCX S-Sportour  (Read 12083 times)

tbzep
Dazed and Confused

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2007 Anniversary VFR, 2008 VFR
GPS: West TN
Miles Typed: 350

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2012, 01:05:27 am »

My Oxtar Matrix boots were awesome, all day comfortable boots.  Whatever replaces them has big shoes to fill.  

The TCX X5 Plus is the great grandson of the original Matrix. (Matrix, Matrix II, X-5, X-5 Plus)  They've started using some fake leather down around the foot.
The TCX S-Sportour is targeted to the sport tourer similar to the Sidi Fusion.   I bought some Sidi Fusions and they were too narrow and felt horrible in general.  They've been returned.  

Anybody have any quality foot time in the above two TCX boots?  Will the fake leather in the X5 Plus negate the great comfort of the original leather Matrix?  Are the S-Sportours more comfortable than the Sidi Fusions?  I need to know because my Motorcyclegear.com store credit is burning a hole in my virtual pocket.  
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Prubert
I am HUGE in Japan

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Some sort of KTM
GPS: Waukesha, WI
Miles Typed: 977

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:07:53 am »

I got the Sportour S WP last month, they were kind of stiff bur are breaking in nicely.

Never had a Sidi product on my foot so I can't compare, but I like the Sportour.

Prubert
motormike

Reputation 31

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2007 VFR800 ABS, 2001 VFR800FI
GPS: Mpls., Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1160

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:49:32 am »

I have the TCX X-Five boots with Gore-Tex and the rounded ankle padding.  The most current model has the triangle-shaped ankle padding.   They were closeouts I bought in late 2010 from Motorcycle Gear.com.  Being a new rider, I bought them based on all of the love for Oxtar/TCX that I read here.

Based on my experience, I would not hestiate to order the current model TCX X-Five Plus Gore-Tex Boots.  That model still uses leather for the upper boot.  If I am reading the description correctly, it seems the synthetic areas around the foot are for comfort: "•Upper constructed of full grain leather with front and rear padded area for better comfort".

I have no experience with the TCX S-Sportour Boots but I would assume they would be quality based on the description and review coments on Motorcycle Gear.com's website.
Advertisement

tbzep
Dazed and Confused

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 03:41:13 pm »

I got the Sportour S WP last month, they were kind of stiff bur are breaking in nicely.

Never had a Sidi product on my foot so I can't compare, but I like the Sportour.
Have you ever tried the Matrix or X-5/X-5 plus?  Just wondering how comfortable they would be compared to the Sportour.  I've watched the reviews on Revzilla and STG, but they are trying to sell the product.  For that matter, they gave rave reviews about the Sidi Fusion, which felt horrible to me, and wouldn't be comfortable even if they were wider.  
tbzep
Dazed and Confused

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:09:54 pm »

Update:  I received my TCX S-Sportour (waterproof) boots this week.  I've worn them around the house but haven't ridden in them yet.  I can compare them directly to my old Oxtar Matrix and the Sidi Fusion (waterproof) that I purchased and returned.

Fit -  True to size, on par with my old Matrix and is wider than the Sidi.  I'm pleased with fit.

Comfort -  Much more comfortable than the Fusion.  Fusions were narrow, stiff, hard....felt like they were carved from wood.  My Matrix boots are completely broken in.  The S-Sportour isn't as comfortable now, but has the potential to at least be in the same ball park with them.  There's no way they will ever be on par with the Matrix because there is more armor and the synthetic leather is likely to stay more stiff than the all natural leather Matrix.

Protection - The shin armor is more substantial than the Fusion and the Matrix.  The Fusion has more lower calf/achillis protection.  The accordian stretch panels on front and back are much thicker and more protective than the Fusion and about on par with the Matrix.  Heel cup is at least as substantial as the Fusion (Fusion is already returned and I'm going from memory).   The Matrix has no external heel cup.   Ankle bone armor is internal on the Matrix and Fusion.  The Sportour's is internal on the inside for smoothness against the bike, and external on the outside allowing it to act as a slider also.  It feels a little more substantial on the Sportour boot.  The toe slider isn't really a protection feature, but I'll mention that they are plastic on both the Fusion and Matrix and won't last a minute before you grind down to the screws that hold them.

Waterproof - The Oxtar Matrix wins hands down by using Gore-tex.  The Sidi Fusion and S-Sportour use a proprietary waterproof breathable membrane, but Gor-tex is in a class by itself. I'm not going to ride around with one old Matrix and one new S-Sportour to compare breathability so we will just say the new boot will do the job, but Gor-tex would have been nice.

Looks - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I like the all black look and no toe sliders on the old Oxtar Matrix when walking around off the bike.  The Sidi has an Italian look all its own and the little red logo adds flair.  The TCX S-Sportour waterproof boots have the TCX logo in grey instead of white.  That fits in with the color of my bike and leathers (non-waterproof's logos are white).  They are no more or less flashy than the Sidi, but the Sidi does have a certain look about it and brand recognition that most people would probably prefer.  Oxtar/TCX is also an Italian company, btw. (They make James Stewart's Nike MX boots)

Overall, I'd rate the S-Sportour a home run for sport touring.   Thumbsup   I'd stick with the Matrix if I were going to be off the bike considerably more than on it and will probably repair them best as I can to use on the rare occasion I ride in jeans.  I would leave the Fusion on the shelf to look at, but I wouldn't wear it even if it were free....and wide enough for my foot.  

Note:  The Oxtar Matrix evolved to the Matrix 2, TCX X-5, and now is the TCX X-5 Plus.  I don't know if the X-5 Plus is as comfortable as the old Matrix, but going by the comfort level of the S-Sportour, I'd bet that it is pretty close.

If I feel any different after several hours of riding, I'll come back and add to the review.
sslangs

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '08 Suzuki GSX-650F
GPS: Central Oklahoma
Miles Typed: 62

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 12:01:44 am »

I have the air tech. Great boot & very. Comfortable
ZuluHour

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '02 RC51
GPS: Central NC
Miles Typed: 203

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 10:34:01 am »

EEK!  THREAD REVIVAL!  EEK!

So I recently purchased the TCX S-Sportour largely based on this review. I owned the original Oxtar Matrix in size 45/11 for years and put tens of thousands of miles on them. Great (perfect?) street boots, but they were definitely showing their age so it was time to replace.

First up, I bought a pair of second hand Fly Racing Milepost boots in 45/11. I was just able to get my feet in them. Very cheaply made that didn't fit well at all. Immediately sold them after 1 ride.

Next I bought a pair of second hand, but practically new Sidi Fusion Rain boots in 46/11.5. My take was much like the OP in this thread. Super stiff, not very comfortable and narrow toe-box. They also had a strangely shaped heel on the sole that made the boots unstable and almost slippery when walking - wtf? Sold them then picked up a pair of TCX S-Sportour WP boots in 45/11.

With everything I've read about TCX having wider toe-boxes I thought for sure these things would be a homerun.... not! These things were tighter than the Fusions. My pinky toe would be asleep after 15 minutes. The boots themselves were very nice and protective, but also tight for my slightly wide feet. Maybe they will break in some, but are for sale now: https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,119769.new.html#new

Finally, bit the bullet and ordered the TCX X-Five Waterproof boots in 45/11. It's like coming home again. They fit and look exactly like my broken-in Matrix boots, just with a TCX logo. I don't think this particular model has Goretex, but the fit is immediately comfortable. Easy to walk in, great feel of the controls and works like riding boots should on the bike. The toe-box is wide enough and the fit good enough that I know from experience I can do all-day rides with them. The fit also allows me to wear thicker socks in the winter or thinner in the summer and still not move around on me. I also prefer the unassuming blacked out look. The X-Fives are the true homerun for me.

So after going through so many boots recently I have also become a fan of the single velcro flap across the top of the boot. The Sportour, Fusion and Milepost boots all have dual velcro flaps, which does keep the boot nice and snug. However, it adds extra time and effort (and noise when in a quiet office environment) to take on and off. It's a minor gripe, but it has made me appreciate the single flap the Matrix and X-Five boots feature. It makes a difference to me since I am taking them on and off several times throughout the workday.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 10:49:38 am by ZuluHour » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal