Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: More ZZR1200 questions....  (Read 2672 times)

DeansZG

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '78 Yamaha 175 ISDT '99 Concours(sold) '04 ZZR1200(Sweetheart) '81 Goldwing Interstate(Puttz)
GPS: 48195
Miles Typed: 269

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:41:01 PM »

Yes, I've read the previous posts & wanted some current thoughts & opinions on it. Lol
Thinking about replacing my C10  & seeing how the C14's are out of my price range, the big Zed has caught my eye.
Looked at / sat on(even had the wife sit behind me) an extremely(under 2k) low mileage '04 yesterday. Little high on the price(about $450 above KBB), but you would've swore it was a brand new bike, it was THAT clean. The salesman did point out one little scratch that I had missed. It started up immediately w/out using the enrichner too. It does have Muzzy duals & that's where the (only) issue is (to me anyway). Whoever mounted the exhaust, did not line-up the mufflers. The right one is angled at least 3 inches above the left one & it looks like CRAP! Went to the Muzzy site & found no info about the duals. I'm guessing about 5 minutes w/ a socket wrench will even-up the pipes.Yep, the passenger pegs are even height from one side to the other too.

But, for those w/ ZZR1200 experience, what else to look out for?  Briefly looked on the ZZRbikes.com w/s, but not the info I needed. Any other w/s to check out?

Tires were still oem garbage. Will look into better rim protectors if the deal gets done.

Also, what's the best sport-TOURING windscreen for it, or will a Laminar-Lip help immensly?  

Is Givi & Corbin the only hard bags for it?

Will more than likely keep using the Shell Rotella T dino oil in this that I've been using in my C10 for the last 146k miles.

What kind of mileage returns have you been getting from your tires & what brands?
  Please, not going to debate tires, just post ex; tire brand A / mileage #####

Will also need to add risers, I'm guessing Gen-Mars?  or are there others?

For future reference & since it's been more than a decade of chain maint., what's the preferred brand of drive chain now & is PJ1 blue the preferred lube also?  
  OEM sprockets ok or better / more economical alternatives out there?

Thinking about offering him $4500 cash O.T.D. & see if he'll take it.

Besides the aforementioned forum, are there anymore forums for the big Zed?

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:48:43 PM by DeansZG » Logged
slayman

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: 1984 Kawi GPZ 550, 05 ZZR 1200
GPS: Lankaster PA
Miles Typed: 272

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »

I'll answer what I can but I'm far from expert level.

Yes, I've read the previous posts & wanted some current thoughts & opinions on it. Lol
Thinking about replacing my C10  & seeing how the C14's are out of my price range, the big Zed has caught my eye.
Looked at / sat on(even had the wife sit behind me) an extremely(under 2k) low mileage '04 yesterday. Little high on the price(about $450 above KBB), but you would've swore it was a brand new bike, it was THAT clean. The salesman did point out one little scratch that I had missed. It started up immediately w/out using the enrichner too. It does have Muzzy duals & that's where the (only) issue is (to me anyway). Whoever mounted the exhaust, did not line-up the mufflers. The right one is angled at least 3 inches above the left one & it looks like CRAP! Went to the Muzzy site & found no info about the duals. I'm guessing about 5 minutes w/ a socket wrench will even-up the pipes.Yep, the passenger pegs are even height from one side to the other too.

But, for those w/ ZZR1200 experience, what else to look out for?  Briefly looked on the ZZRbikes.com w/s, but not the info I needed. Any other w/s to check out? I'd ask over there any way. Some of the info from a couple of years ago was lost in a transfer I think.

Tires were still oem garbage. Will look into better rim protectors if the deal gets done.

Also, what's the best sport-TOURING windscreen for it, or will a Laminar-Lip help immensly?
Stock to double bubble didn't seem to make much difference for me  

Is Givi & Corbin the only hard bags for it?
I'm currently using soft bags but those are the only two I know of

Will more than likely keep using the Shell Rotella T dino oil in this that I've been using in my C10 for the last 146k miles.

What kind of mileage returns have you been getting from your tires & what brands?
  Please, not going to debate tires, just post ex; tire brand A / mileage #####
I had Conti sport attacks on, 8K on the front/5k on the back. Just installed Mich PR2's

Will also need to add risers, I'm guessing Gen-Mars?  or are there others?
I'm using stock but along with genmars, helibars are available used only and some have  installed LSL setups

For future reference & since it's been more than a decade of chain maint., what's the preferred brand of drive chain now & is PJ1 blue the preferred lube also?  
  OEM sprockets ok or better / more economical alternatives out there?

Thinking about offering him $4500 cash O.T.D. & see if he'll take it.

Besides the aforementioned forum, are there anymore forums for the big Zed?
If you find other resources let me know

Thanks in advance!

Ack535

Reputation 75

Motorcycles: 1998 CBR1100XX, 2005 CRF250X, 05 FJR R.I.P.
GPS: Williamston MI USA
Miles Typed: 940

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »

Dean:

As you may recall, I had a ZZR1200. I'll try and answer your questions:

What's the best sport-TOURING windscreen for it, or will a Laminar-Lip help immensly? GIVI MAKES A NICE WINDSCREEN FOR THE ZZR.

Is Givi & Corbin the only hard bags for it? AS FAR AS I KNOW YES.

Will more than likely keep using the Shell Rotella T dino oil in this that I've been using in my C10 for the last 146k miles. GO SYNTHETIC SHELL ROTELLA.

What kind of mileage returns have you been getting from your tires & what brands? MICHELIN PR2'S ARE THE WAY TO GO. ALOT DEPENDS ON YOUR RIGHT WRIST AND HOW OFTEN YOU TWIST IT REALLY HARD.... OH BUT WHAT FUN!

Will also need to add risers, I'm guessing Gen-Mars?  or are there others? YES YOU WILL NEED A SET OF RISERS, GEN MAR IS THE ONLY BRAND I AM AWARE OF.

For future reference & since it's been more than a decade of chain maint., what's the preferred brand of drive chain now & is PJ1 blue the preferred lube also?  ANY GOOD QUALITY O RING OR X RING CHAIN IS FINE (DID ETC.)

OEM sprockets ok or better / more economical alternatives out there? STICK WITH OEM, THE BIKE IS PERFECTLY GEARED.

Thinking about offering him $4500 cash. GO $4,000. ZZR12'S ACROSS THE NATION GO FOR AROUND $4k.

Besides the aforementioned forum, are there anymore forums for the big Zed? NOT REALLY...

PM me with your phone # and we can talk in person if you like.

Pete
phlatlander

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: DL650K7; 04 ZZR1200
Miles Typed: 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:03:39 AM »

Interesting question you pose.  I picked up an 04 zzr1200 in Nov 2011 to replace my 99 connie.  My reason for doing so was:  1) i wanted a cooler ride above 75 degrees; 2) wanted a bike with standard tire size.

So far i'm pleased with my decision.  I have about 4k on the zzr since purchasing it and still have a few things to workout but so far she is a keeper.

Connie:
- more upright riding position - i had gen-mar risers on mine and could easily do 600+ miles days in relative comfort
- anything above 75 degrees had me sweating so much i was MISERABLE and wanting air conditioning asap
- very reliable

ZZR:
- more sport oriented riding position.  i'm running stock bars with gen-mar risers and have done a 740 mile day and a 650 mile day.  both went pretty well but not as easy as on the connie.  as i type this it is a day after the 650 mile day and i'm still sore in the shoulders/neck/arms both from the more leaned over position but also from the additional air hitting me.
- more wind hits you on this bike.  which results in a cooler ride but also more fatigue when touring.
- this thing handles twisties better than the connie
- rode this last weekend in 85+ temps and was very comfortable
- I expect connie like reliability, but there are a few known issues with the bike
- givi bags are an option
- i have little experience with tires.  brand new bridgestone bt-016 came on the bike, currently have 4400 on the bt's and they will get replaced before i ride anymore with PR2's which i hope to get 8k out of
- has power all over the rev range
- fuel economy is at an average of 38mpg for me for the 4k i've owned the bike

For reference i'm 6'1" with a 33" inseam, 36" waist and wear a 44L suit coat.
Spectreman
Mid 50's and counting

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
GPS: About 90 miles north of where I use to be, Fl.
Miles Typed: 476

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 05:23:50 PM »

Former ZZR owner and zzrbikes member too so I can confirm all that slayman & ack said. zzrbikes is the authoritative site for the bike and some nice folks over there.

IMO- it's a good bike but beware, it does have certain issues. 1st, it's heavy when fully gassed. Yeah, she gets up & goes, but push that sucker around the garage or drop her and you better have some help. For it's size tho, handles/brakes/performs well enough. I thought the fairing did an excellent job of shielding against the elements.

When I replaced my tires, I got a stonking deal on some Dunlops similar to the OEM's so that's what I used. Now I use Michelin Pilot Road 2's.

I tried a few different screens. Liked the looks of the Zero Gravity screen best but honestly noticed no performance difference.

The bad- stock seat B-L-E-W. Replace it immediately. The triangulation of the grips, set, pegs also blew. Even w/gen-mar's, I could never get comfy. Good luck of finding a set of Heli's for it- they've been out of production a while. W/in 10 minutes of riding that bike, my hands & shoulder either hurt or were numb. I synched the carbs, tried 3 different types of grips, throttle lock and heavier bar ends- nothing worked & after 2 years of buzzy ownership, I finally gave up. YMMV.

If you're truly enamored, I wouldn't offer a dime more than $4g's cuz the bike ain't worth more than that.

Good luck!
Lee

Without courage, all other virtues are meaningless. Winston Churchill
endo
Huh?

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: ZZR1200
GPS: Carson City, NV
Miles Typed: 1255

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »

In 2003 I bought a new 2002 model with .7 miles on the odo.  Now over 92,000.  Other than regular maintenance I have replaced 1 of the fuel pumps and that was 3 days before the warranty ran out... Whew!  

I went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket and am happy I did.  With a Corbin seat I can ride all day, and I do.  

The best tire I have found for the bike is the Michelin PR2.  In touring or rally mode I can get about 6k on a set, but if I am regularly having fun in the mountains I only get about 4,500 miles.  DON'T run the Avons; they are terrible if you like the sporty side of sport-touring!!

If I had to replace my bike today I would be looking for another  Cool

I live just north of the secret Valley of Tall Gears, where 90 is a casual Sunday drive and 75 feels like an endless school zone.
DeansZG

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '78 Yamaha 175 ISDT '99 Concours(sold) '04 ZZR1200(Sweetheart) '81 Goldwing Interstate(Puttz)
GPS: 48195
Miles Typed: 269

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:47:03 PM »

Thanks for the replies! Thumbsup
caslaw

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: ZZR1200
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 02:45:27 PM »

If you have checked the other ZZR1200 strings here, then you have seen the pictures of my ZZR1200 in its different "modes".  I came off a '98 Connie so I can speak directly to your question.

How do you ride?  That is the question I would ask myself.  I flogged my Connie and rode it hard with sport bike riders.  I knew after about 6 months that I wanted to "move up" to a more sporting bike.  I basically figured that the Connie was 30/70 Sport/Touring.  The ZZR1200 is the opposite at 70/30.  This is closer to my ratio (which is probably more like 80/20).  So if you ride more "sport" than tour the ZZR1200 is a good pick for you.  BUT if you find the Connie to be perfect for you and just want something more modern then I would steer you away from the ZZR.  Then I would suggest an FJR (which you can get for less than a GTR) or an ST1300 (same).  

I have my ZZR1200 set up so it is a Swiss Army Knife bike (it will do anything except off-road).  To do this, I put another $1.5k in the bike.  You need to factor this into your price.  If you tour, you are going to have to spend more money on the ZZR.  You will need to change the stock seat, the stock shield, add bar risers, and then get a rack/luggage setup.  So that $4k will easily turn into $5500 or more.  For about that price you could buy an FJR which is a better touring bike but an inferior sport bike.

So in short, The ZZR is the perfect bike for ME.  I would not trade it for a GTR or an FJR.  But it may not be the perfect bike for YOU.  I would suggest that you have an honest conversation with yourself about how you ride and what you would change about your Connie if you could.  If you basically want a more modern version of your bike then look elsewhere.  If you want a more sporting bike that CAN tour (with mods) then the ZZR is a great bike.

Good luck.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal