Topic: nolan helmets  (Read 1150 times)

Oxman

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 09 guzzi norge / 01 guzzi Jackal / 13 Ktm Duke 690
Miles Typed: 115

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2012, 09:13:29 AM »

Im kinda looking at a nolan  n43e Trilogy helmet or a n 104 modular . does anyone have any feedback on these ?  Headscratch
Hambonee

Reputation 37

Motorcycles: 2013 BMW GS 1200
GPS: Kenmore, WA
Miles Typed: 443

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 09:32:58 AM »

I don't have either of those versions but I do have a N90.

What I can say about it is that it's REALLY well made(fit and finish) and not terribly loud on the road for a modular. Other than Shoei, Nolan appears to be the only modular that 100% successfully holds together in the testing SHARP does.

The internal sun visor is also the bomb! Cool
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:40:43 AM by Hambonee » Logged

I went to the psychiatrist, and he says "You're crazy " I tell him I want a second opinion. He says, "Okay, you're ugly too!" (Rodney Dangerfield)
evilted

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Fun ones.
GPS: Atlanta, GA
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 09:54:20 AM »

It's not an N104, but I have it's predecessor, the N103.  

Good:  Overall, I'd say it's well made -- on a par with the Shoei Multitec -- with metal latches for the flip-up visor.  The internal sunshade works well.   The chin strap and flip-up mechanisms work well and are easy to operate with gloves on.

Bad:  Doesn't flow much air even with the vents open.  It's a bit noisier than most of the full-face helmets I have (to be expected, I suppose).  And one of the rubber flip-up visor seals came off after a few openings & closings -- it was easily reattached, but if I were to use this helmet a lot I suspect it would come off again.  Like the Shoei, the head shape is not quite as long oval as I'd prefer (the Shoei X11/X12 might be the helmet that fits me best).  And it's also a bit heavier than my other helmets, though I wore it on a (really boring all-interstate) trip to/from Key West and didn't give any thought to its weight.

I don't use it much mostly because I prefer full-face helmets.  But I wouldn't have any reservations about buying another Nolan.
ST1300Rider
Old Phart

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '05 ST1300, '09 R1200 GS, '07 Triumph Scrambler
GPS: Eastern Slope of the Alberta Rocky Mountains
Miles Typed: 608

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:01:26 AM »

I've got the European version of the trilogy. It's the same as the NA version except for the venting. It's a great around town helmet, well made and relatively quiet. The internal sun visor could be slightly deeper for my taste but it works well. The only downside is the ease with witch you can forget to replace and consequently lose the chin bar. I'm on my third.

"In the end, its about the ride. Not the siren songs of the farkles." AugustFalcon on ADVRiders.
caasland

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2006 FJR1300, 2001 SV650
GPS: Curvy part of Minnesota
Miles Typed: 176

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:38:17 AM »

I used to have a N101 years ago (maybe it was a N100, I don't remember). Back when it was the only flipup in my area. It didn't flow much air so it fogged up a lot, thus I reamed out the foam to improve flow, and it helped. But the visor never sealed correctly and riding in the rain resulted in a wet back of shield and forehead. Needless to say, I didn't go looking for a Nolan when it was time to replace it (I got a Schuberth C1 instead).

When helmet shopping this spring I looked anew at the Nolan's as their quality has improved, and I think they enlarged eyeport of the N104 is fantastic! However, when I tried on a N104 ... it wasn't plush and comfy. It seems that either it will fit or it won't, and unless you have a Nolan head, there's little leeway.

I ended up with a Bell RS-1 with smaller cheekpads. Comfy quiet snug faceshield flows lots of air and only $200.
MK96xj
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is What its all about?

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '08
GPS: Asheville NC
Miles Typed: 2860

My Photo Gallery

Ducati MTS 620

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 11:25:14 PM »

I have had my N90 for just over a month and love this helmet. The fit and finish I really nice. I have used Scorpion 400's for the last 6 years and their 900 was in the running. Although the Scorpions are good helmets the Nolan is sooooo much nicer in build.

The strap latch beats the D rings and the Pinlock visor beats Scorpions anti fog coating hands down.

I also looked at Nolan's 103 but the 90 fit me better.

Geno

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord
GPS: Northern California
Miles Typed: 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 12:55:03 AM »

I have both.  The N43 is a great around town helmet if you like an open face.  Nor crazy about its chinbar, but the faceshield is top notch for clarity and coverage.  I just sprung for the N104, have about 500 miles on it so far.  Hands down the best helmet I've worn.  I'd always wanted to try a flip-up, and tried the Shoei Neotec and Schuberth C3.  All beautiful helmets, but the Nolan is their equal, IMHO, at half the price.  Like all helmets, if it doesn't fit your head shape, just keep looking. Air flow on both lids is OK, but that's my feeling with any helmet when on a fully-faired bike with a big windscreen. Smile
Oxman

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 09 guzzi norge / 01 guzzi Jackal / 13 Ktm Duke 690
Miles Typed: 115

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 08:18:11 PM »

Thanks for all the input everyone .... i pulled the trigger and ordered a N43 Trilogy today so now I'm patiently waiting ......Not  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal