Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Riding with a pillion by choice  (Read 2330 times)

Cobalt
Jim Thorpe's valet

Reputation 161

Motorcycles: It's 20 years old.
Miles Typed: 2978

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »

Was talking with my girlfriend recently, and every now and then she comments that she thinks she might be ruining my rides being on the back. I ride differently when she's on the back, of course, than I might be riding solo. I ride far more conservatively than when I ride solo, but even with that, I'm perfectly happy enjoying a good, quick-paced ride in the hills and curves. I've tried explaining that I'd rather ride "right" than "fast" and I can truly enjoy the twists at just about any pace if I'm riding well. I never need to be the fastest guy (though most people never need to wait for me), and I don't need to prove anything to fellow riders. I do it 'cause it's fun.

Contrary to "ruining my ride", my girlfriend has turned into a very competent, very intuitive passenger, positioning herself very well on the bike, in the turns, etc. I barely know she's back there on even the most aggressive or technical roads. She works with me in the turns, and I never have to fight the bike or her to get us all going in the right directions.

Have any of you had to have the same kinds of conversations with your passengers? Sometimes I just wanna laugh and tell her to "sit down, shut up, hold on" and really go for it in the technical stuff so she sees that my more conservative riding is a choice, and one that I continue to enjoy. Most of the time I just blow it off because when we're riding, at least "in the moment", I'm sure she's enjoying the ride far more than being all in her own head, worrying.

She only seems to bring it up sitting in the living room, never on the rides.  Bigok

Ultimately I'd like to keep a more 2up friendly bike in the garage, too. A sport bike is rarely the right tool for passenger, but for now it's what I have, and what I can afford. We make it work.  Thumbsup

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
2RR2NV

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2012 ZX-14R in Blaze Green
GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 1978

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 01:03:16 PM »

Never had a prob with a pillion say they are holding me back. i ride based on their experience and progressively move it up to where i'm comfortable safety-wise having them on the back. when i had the Busa, there were times when my wife and I would take a break and i'd notice my tires were closer to being edged out than when i ride solo. My wife is melds with my riding very well. in the corners, she sets up body position based on the type of roads. sometimes when we were really gettin with the program, i could see her helmet by my shoulder and hear her laughing.  we have a blast.  if we want to go slower, she'll let me know. we can't wait to get another ST so she can ride once again. she knows the 750  is not fun riding 2-up for us. she is too short to get up on it - only 4' 10", and she would be leaned forward too far for her to be comfy.

If you're gonna go, go with a smile!  Smile

current ride:   2012 ZX-14R   previous rides:  2011 GSXR750, 2007 FJR1300, 2004 GSXR 750, 2002 Hayabusa, 2002 Honda VFR800, 1992 Honda Nighthawk
FiremanBob

Reputation -530

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2001 Blackbird, 1964 Honda CB77
Miles Typed: 1561

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »

Riding two-up in silence is not exactly riding together. Now that we have comms, we enjoy riding together that much more because we can converse. It might not be so good for married people, though.

"Government is not the solution. Government is the problem."
Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Versys Adventure
GPS: So Cal
Miles Typed: 5294

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »

Keep her on the back, it might keep you alive longer.  Razz  Personally I enjoy having the wife along on rides.

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
                                      - William Shakespeare
Scratch33

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, 2x'10
Motorcycles: '08 R1200GSA, '09 DD750, '07 F800S, '10 Madass 125
GPS: That Other Place
Miles Typed: 12394

My Photo Gallery

His Excellency's Car!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »

Was talking with my girlfriend recently, and every now and then she comments that she thinks she might be ruining my rides being on the back.

Dontcha just hate it when some dame's back there yammering in your ear?

All Your Forum Are Belong to VS
wibornz
Phototagging???? Huh never heard of it. Sounds like it could be fun.

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: Concours 14, Ninja 650r and about 14 dirt bikes 10 or so atvs and six or seven other streebikes over the years.
GPS: Michigan
Miles Typed: 3136

My Photo Gallery

I do wheelies, get over it.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 01:26:29 PM »

I enjoy the wife riding on the back way more than the 7000 dollare bike with another 1500 dollars in farkles, and 300 dollars worth of insurance for her to ride it three times last year.

Crazy

TED
I have been married longer than I have not been married.  I have worked on my job longer than I have not worked at my job. 
Motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, jeeps, and a wife....Where the hell is my money going again?  Life has been good to me
sfalexi

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2010 ST1300
GPS: Columbia, SC
Miles Typed: 498

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 11:07:49 PM »

Got no problem with the wife on the back of the bike here.  To me it's the best of many worlds.

Even with her on the back, she's come so far as a passenger and I've put more and more miles on my bike, I hardly notice it and the ride is VERY similar to when she's not on the back.  The only time I'm really reminded that she's on the back is when she wacks me in the back of the head for scaring her on that turn by leaning too much.  (happening more and more lately..... Rolleyes)

Alexi
Robus

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT, HD Road Glide Ultra
GPS: Chicagoland-South Burbs
Miles Typed: 141

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 11:30:24 PM »

I enjoy riding with her now that I have a bike she's comfortable on.  Prior to that, her "my butt is hurting" after about 50 miles did cramp my style a bit.  Intercoms are the greatest invention ever.  It's fun to talk while we ride.  When we were kids and riding together, we developed an elaborate language of gestures to communicate complex ideas like: "big pothole coming up," and "I have to pee."
BIWOZ

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: R1150RT aka "Eileen"
GPS: Huddled on the western edge of Australia
Miles Typed: 96

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 02:24:03 AM »

I feel incomplete without Di on the back. Without her, it's just a ride. If she stopped pillioning, I'd very probably sell the bike.

Doesn't mean I don't occasionally enjoy getting it out by myself and giving it a fang down some backroad.  Bigsmile
coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps
Miles Typed: 2673

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 03:08:40 AM »

I love riding with a pillion, it means either:

A. Another motorcyclist has had something go wrong and I was there to help. This gives me a warm feeling. 

Or

2. I'm transporting someone with whom there will be sex after the riding part is complete. This also gives me a warm feeling.

Anyone who does not fit one of those walks.

"You guys crack me up.  Like you have never done something crazy to get a girl to put her boobs on you."  -wibornz

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
dietDrThunder

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
GPS: Nashville, TN
Miles Typed: 454

My Photo Gallery

Why so serious, son?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 11:05:30 AM »

I love riding 2-up. It's fun to share the ride, and I get extra enjoyment in knowing that my passenger is having fun too. I'm not a fan of the intercom thing though...I like the solitude and peace of riding and being alone with my thoughts.

Dave Arkle
WERA Expert #13 - retired
DoD #11011
turbo.mp
Workaholic Extraordinaire

Reputation -2

Motorcycles: 06 CBR600RR, 06 Interceptor
GPS: Northern Utah
Miles Typed: 61

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 04:45:37 PM »

I love riding 2-up. It's fun to share the ride, and I get extra enjoyment in knowing that my passenger is having fun too. I'm not a fan of the intercom thing though...I like the solitude and peace of riding and being alone with my thoughts.

+1
Though I haven't actually used an intercom, my wife and I are able to communicate everything we need to with hand gestures and the hourly stops we make.  Plus, I'd like to think that communication barrier lets us reflect on the ride more, which makes for pleasant dinner conversation.  The thing I like most about riding is being able to focus on the task at hand, and be in my own little world; granted, I'm definitely an introvert.

My wife has made similar comments as the OP before, so I can relate.  I now actually prefer riding with the little lady more than riding solo.  Could be because I've ridden all the local roads dozens of times and I enjoy getting my city-girl wife out into the country to see some new, gorgeous scenery and experience a good ride.  I can hardly tell she's there and it's enjoyable to share something with her that I've enjoyed for so many years.
Hopefully she comes-to and will trust that you enjoy her "company."

As far as a sport bike that's good for 2-up riding... I couldn't be any happier with the VFR800.  My wife has had multiple major back surgeries (has Ti rods up and down her back) and she actually fares better than I do after a 6 hour ride.  She finds it really quite nice; has even commented that it's much more comfortable than riding on the back of her dad's cruiser (with a plush, fat pillion seat).
Paintman

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: , 79 XT500,86 XT600,79 Yamaha XS1100,80 MNS,KLR650,2000 Concours
GPS: Rapid city sD
Miles Typed: 264

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 05:30:19 PM »

Always have fun with the wife on the back she understands she use to run Enduros back in the she has a little kawi 250 rt now to run around the pasture with and is thinking about getting her Lic again.  Bigok On the Connie i cant even tell she is back tehre she is taking pics and videos as we cruise along. And will smack me on the head if we are going a wee bit to fast lol. i think my riding last yr was a 50-50 split with her on back. i sold my CBR1000RR 2 yrs agao lol back couldnt take it anymore i still zip along on the otehr bikes but having her along Just improves the ride.

why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest corner of the shop
USAF Ret Flight Medic
birdrunner

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4659

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 09:59:54 AM »

Not all pillions are equal.

About the only thing my ex was better for than my current love was being a pillion.  My teenage son was so good, I often forgot he was there.

Bike like the XX, Connie, Busa, ZZR1200 and DL1000 excel at caring 2 people at an Sporting pace.
One thing though,  as most bikes are expecially undersprung right from the factory, getting the suspension replaced to handle the extra weight make a HUGE difference.   I had GP Suspension do my XX and the difference was absolutly astounding.

The comfort of these bike for the pillion usually exceeds most cruises.  When the wife's back is sore, we go for a ride.  It seems to stretch it out nicely.   (Custom saddle make the comfort even better)

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
cbsnbiker
I speak only for myself.

Reputation -383

Motorcycles: BMWs: '98 K1200RS, '74 R90/6, '07 F650GS; '06 F650GS (RIP), '94 R1100RS (someone else enjoys it now).
GPS: Upstate NY
Miles Typed: 5693

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 02:57:17 PM »

I've had that kind of conversation with friends with their own bikes. One, for example, is a cautious, conservative rider. He sometimes expresses his concern that he is holding me back. The reality is that on the day when I go for a ride with him, I choose to enjoy a slow, leisurely pace. It works for me.

BMWMOA Life Member, MSF-certified RiderCoach, etc.

Sorry I'm not going to read your link. If it contradicts what I&
BigBird

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2001 Honda GL1800A
GPS: Frederick Maryland
Miles Typed: 82

My Photo Gallery

BIG Sport Tourer?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 11:43:05 PM »

The vast majority of my riding is 3 up with Gail and Bandit (12 lb. Havaneese dog) along.   Current bike has about 175K of which no more than 50K is solo.  The dog has at least 60K.  She LOVES it!  When she sees her travel bag she starts trying to jump into it even before I can get it unzipped Lol  

Gail is about the ultimate pillon. Bigsmile  The faster we go the better she likes it Inlove    Her favorite rides are when we are with a group of sport bike riders in the twisties and sparks are flying Lol   If we are riding at a less than sporty pace with a slower group she gets bored and falls asleep (with her head on the dog case in her lap).  

We have everything set up for this with Traxxion Dynamics suspension and heavy springs as well as intercoms and heated Russel Day Long seat and heated dog bag and gerbing jackets, and passenger pegs she can brace against, etc.

When I do occasionally ride it solo the bike does feel very light and flickable Lol BUT it does fine 3 up and I MUCH prefer it that way Smile

Sam Jones - Frederick Maryland
Prozac

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic, '06 Buell Ulysses
GPS: Centerville, OH
Miles Typed: 139

My Photo Gallery

Dad, can I ride it now!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »

My wife is a great pillion.  When we are out on the country roads she somethimes gets lost and I forget that she is even there until she says something on the intercom.  Great thing about her coming with me on simple day trips is that she is able to point out things that I would normally miss and she helps me to slow down and enjoy the ride.  Unfortunately, 75% of my riding is solo just due to life getting in the way.

John,
AKA "Prozac"
  Gotta start somewhere!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal