Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: BMW R1100S Final Drive Failure !!!!!  (Read 3842 times)

Chocknel

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: BMW R1100S
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2012, 11:19:57 AM »

Hi There to all,, My name is Chock Nel,, 59 years old,, been on bikes for more than 40 years,, been there done it,, got the T shirt,,, I have a BMW R1100S,, 50,000 Miles on the clock,, for some unknown reason the final drive decided its time to pack up,,, I did what I,m supposed to do,, took it to a BMW dealer here in Cape Town South Africa where I reside,,, I payed them a arm and a leg,, Got my final drive back,, installed it,, and 120miles down the road my back wheel is full of oil,, I drained the oil only to find metal shavings in the oil,, Took the complete final drive back to the dealer,,, now allow me to show you guys living in a civilized its world country as apposed to us here living in a 3rd world country,,, When I took my final drive to this particular BMW dealer,, I was treated like a gentleman,, I was offered coffee on arrival and at least 5 times during the hours I waited for the repairs to be done,, On arriving back with the same final drive a week later,, I was immediately treated like something the dog carried in,, I actually made a comment regarding this complete turn around in behaviour,, I was also immediately told that there is no guarantee on this job as the housing of the final drive is the cause of the failure as it does not seat the bearings properly any more,, All of this I was told BEFORE they even opened the final drive for a second time,and I was never told this before hand, I saw that they have absolutely no interest in keeping up their part of the deal,, I asked them to strip the final drive as there is one special tool to remove the castle nut,,, and I will not bother them again,, They gladly complied,, Now they are rid of me and they have my money,,, This I mention to you so you can get an idea what its like to live in a third world country,,What ever I do or what ever road I choose to follow to force them to come to the table is just going to cost me money and time and not fix my final drive,,, The final drive was inspected very carefully by the gearbox technicians  where I work Caterpillar,, and it was determined that the only tapper bearing in the final drive was forced  onto the shaft and that caused the quite a number of needle pins to brake in two,,,These guys are highly experienced artisans working on very complex gearboxes,, They are willing to assist me in re assembling the final drive correctly,, all we need is the torque spec and one or two questions regarding the final drive,,, the special tool needed to assemble the final drive we have on stock,,, so please gentleman,, help me,, all I need is info,,, Headscratch Headscratch Headscratch :headscratch:finally,, please excuse my English as it is a second language to me,,,,
kwb377
Non-Professional Rider on a Not-So-Closed Course...

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: '11 Ninja 1K, '82 GS650G, '04 200 EXC
GPS: B'ham, AL
Miles Typed: 307

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 12:10:42 PM »

Can't help you on the final drive failure, but rest assured that the treament you recieved is not relegated to "third world countries". I received pretty much the same treatment by my local dealer (Bogart's Motorsports, which interestingly enough is not in business anymore) in regards to the several issues I had with my '02 K12LT. That bike, and more importantly that dealer, is why I'll never own another BMW.

~ IBA #55309
mxvet57
Let's find some twisty's

Reputation -102

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 04 FJR1300 06 SPEED TRIPLE 88 EX500 05 YZ250 01 YZ 250 91 KX 500
GPS: Mt. prospect ill.
Miles Typed: 15341

My Photo Gallery

Loud horns save lives

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »

Final drive failure on a BMW?  Go figure.

It's not the fall that will kill you it's that sudden stop

04 FJR 1300 1/4 million mile club and then some.
Yankee Dog

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 12 Tiger 800 ..................... 05.Ural.GearUp ........................................ 05.BMW.F650GS
GPS: Decatur, AL
Miles Typed: 2314

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 01:31:05 PM »

which torque spec are you looking for.

veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 151

GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6579

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »

Good luck with getting your bike fixed, I hope you get it back soon.

Good thing that the mechanics at your work are willing to help.

Let us know how it turns out, and post a pic of yourself and your bike!

X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 528

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 03:11:11 PM »

Sorry about the trouble.  Sounds typical of a BMW dealership.  Coffee and donuts one day, excuses and such the next.  I had them do 2 things for me under warranty and they messed up both times.  Pure carelessness.

I can probably say without question that most final drive failures have been the result having the wrong shim(s) on either side of the crown gear, either from the factory or on rebuild.  This either causes the bearing to be loose or tight.  Loose, causing the bearing fit at the housing to wallow out or tight, causing the bearing to overheat.  I've notice the seal facing the wrong direction, coming out of the shop, slowly leaking hypoid gear oil until the final drive overheats and sets the bike on fire.

I made it part of my 5000 mile maintainence to check endplay via total indicator reading out at the rim.  I got 160k miles out of my R1100S because I kept it in check.  My prior R1100GS was my lesson learnt at around 10k miles.  Disassembly and some measurements showed the reasons.  Wrong shims...was too tight.

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
Cobalt
Jim Thorpe's valet

Reputation 161

Motorcycles: It's 20 years old.
Miles Typed: 2938

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 03:13:25 PM »

Sorry about the trouble.  Sounds typical of a BMW dealership.  Coffee and donuts one day, excuses and such the next.  I had them do 2 things for me under warranty and they messed up both times.  Pure carelessness.

I can probably say without question that most final drive failures have been the result having the wrong shim(s) on either side of the crown gear, either from the factory or on rebuild.  This either causes the bearing to be loose or tight.  Loose, causing the bearing fit at the housing to wallow out or tight, causing the bearing to overheat.  I've notice the seal facing the wrong direction, coming out of the shop, slowly leaking hypoid gear oil until the final drive overheats and sets the bike on fire.

I made it part of my 5000 mile maintainence to check endplay via total indicator reading out at the rim.  I got 160k miles out of my R1100S because I kept it in check.  My prior R1100GS was my lesson learnt at around 10k miles.  Disassembly and some measurements showed the reasons.  Wrong shims...was too tight.

There is absolutely no valid reason in this universe why that should fall on you to correct & maintain.

Pathetic.

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 07:06:32 PM »

Final drive failure on a BMW?  Go figure.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/Inconceivable.jpg

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Mr. Whippy

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 08:36:47 PM »

The place to ask is Pelican Parts forum.http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/

Those guys have the answers you're looking for  Thumbsup
Motozeke

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
Miles Typed: 55

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 10:24:58 PM »

Chain drive maintenance is seriously no big deal. Really.

I'm going to think of having to pull my own final drive, pay for a new one, have that fail, and have to lean on friends to rebuild it the next time I see "Maintenance Free Shaft Drive!"

My sympathies, brother.
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 08:21:45 AM »

Chain drive maintenance is seriously no big deal. Really.

I'm going to think of having to pull my own final drive, pay for a new one, have that fail, and have to lean on friends to rebuild it the next time I see "Maintenance Free Shaft Drive!"

My sympathies, brother.

Properly engineered shaft drive is no big deal either.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
mxvet57
Let's find some twisty's

Reputation -102

Motorcycles: 04 FJR1300 06 SPEED TRIPLE 88 EX500 05 YZ250 01 YZ 250 91 KX 500
GPS: Mt. prospect ill.
Miles Typed: 15341

My Photo Gallery

Loud horns save lives

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 11:50:38 AM »

Properly engineered shaft drive is no big deal either.

I have 222,000 on my FJR and all i have done to the final drive is change the gear oil once a year. The magnet on the drain plug comes out clean every time.

I may open it up this winter to look at it. But if it ain't broken why mess with it.

It's not the fall that will kill you it's that sudden stop

04 FJR 1300 1/4 million mile club and then some.
ConPilot1
Seven Pupils In My Eye

Reputation -1645

Miles Typed: leet

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 12:33:40 PM »

Properly engineered Kawasaki's shaft drive is no big deal either.

FXT  Thumbsup

halloween over.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 50

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14111

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 08:33:48 AM »

please excuse my English as it is a second language to me,,,,

Here's a helpful hint: only one comma is ever used at a time  Smile

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
zoomtoob

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1999 BMW R1100S
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 05:52:40 PM »

I know it's a stale post but did you get this sorted out? I am lookking at mine now...
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 102

Motorcycles: How many motorcycles does someone need? Just one more!
GPS: South Central Michigan
Miles Typed: 4219

My Photo Gallery

"Headquarters Located..."

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 06:25:32 PM »

I never read this thread before since it was titled 1100RS Final Drive Failure,  but now that I've read it I'm very surprised to see the negative comments about BMW Motorcycle Dealership Customer Service. I thought it was just me. When I bought my GT from the owner of my particular shop it couldn't have went better & he couldn't have been nicer. Whenever I needed parts, service or accessories I absolutely hated the experiences. I thought that they were all rude. I started having my service done at other dealers in MI & in different states while on road trips. BMW Corporate has sent letters & surveys which I always answer accurately & honestly. Ever since then, the owner called & wanted to talk about my concerns. We spoke for about 15 minutes & he said from now on ask to speak or see him when I need anything. Since then everyone there has been very helpful & nice.

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
Mr. Whippy

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 06:36:28 PM »

I know it's a stale post but did you get this sorted out? I am lookking at mine now...

How many miles and what are your symptoms?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal