Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Best leather gear for touring in hot climates  (Read 6378 times)

KodiakRS
That guy

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: 2009 Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 623

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2012, 03:19:25 am »

I'm looking to get some decent leather gear for touring in HOT climates.  I know that leather isn't the best choice for riding in hot weather, or for long distance, but at 90+ degrees your never really going to be comfortable no matter what you wear.

I have pretty much zero experience when it comes to leather gear, any suggestions on where to start looking?
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 07:00:15 pm »

The next best thing to full leather gear for hot weather riding is “partial” leather gear.  There are jackets out there that mix leather in the vulnerable areas with mesh in the chest, back, and inside the sleeves.  I call it “Leather/Mesh Hybrid” jackets.  Joe Rocket makes the Reactor Jacket—very good even in summer and it looks really good.  It’s about $200.

I recently bought the BiLT Air Demon jacket for $100 on Sale at Cycle Gear.  It may be back to $129 but that is still a bargain.

Both jackets have CE approved armor in the elbows and shoulders, and a basic back pad.  Both jackets come with a liner, with the JR Reactor having a full sleeve waterproof liner, and the BiLT Demon Air having a vest liner (not waterproof).  I hate the JR waterproof liner as it does NOT breath so with the liner on and the weather warms up, all your sweat sticks to your body and the inside gets really steamy.  The BiLT Air Demon jacket liner is much easier to put on and take off, plus it breathes.  

I prefer the BiLT Air Demon hybrid jacket because it actually has MORE leather along the sides and lower back.  The leather is also the standard thickness while the JR jacket leather feels thinner.    

Both flow a whole lot more air than even a perforated leather jacket.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/air_demon_motorcycle_jacket/web1001038?registry_id

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:33:06 am by Rogue » Logged

Rogue
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 08:28:53 pm »

https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,71562.0.html

Wink

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Advertisement

tbzep
Dazed and Confused

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2007 Anniversary VFR, 2008 VFR
GPS: West TN
Miles Typed: 350

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:00:25 pm »

I just bought a set of RS Tiachi GMX-Motion perforated leathers.  They have good perforation, the leather is supple, they were tight as everything when I first put them on, but I still had full range of motion due to their great use of accordian leather, stretch panels, etc.  The leather did stretch a little and now fits me great!

My last leathers were Joe Rocket Blaster perforated.  I rode 200-500 mile days in summer heat consistently above 95 degrees.  It became second nature once I got used to it, and I don't get hot as long as I don't sit in traffic.   I wear Underarmor Cool Gear (any brand is probably fine) under my leathers.  I needed it for the JR stuff to keep the leathers from binding at the knees, but the only reason I wear it under the RS Tiachi gear is because it seems to help keep me cooler.   A helmet with really good airflow is just as important.  I have an Arai RX7 Corsair, which flows a ton of air.
Kneescrubber
King of the 90º flat turn

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: '99 Honda VFR, '73 BMW R75/5
GPS: The western U.S. is strewn with paper maps I've lost from my tankbag.
Miles Typed: 3787

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:26:27 pm »

I have a very old set (purchased in '93) of perfed Vanson 2 piece leathers. Not really a whole lot of armor (purchased in '93) but thick leather with good stitching. Unless I'm heading to Colorado and NM most of my summer riding consists of temps starting in the mid/upper 90's and usually over 100. And when I lived in Dallas and Austin humidity would usually be over 70-80%. I do have a pair of Cortech textile mesh pants that I also use.

Sorry chief. I'm not a subscriber of this mindset. I'm not a professional LD rider but my rides tend to start at 400-500 miles and go up from there. Most of the 200-300K miles I've ridden in my lifetime have been in the southwest. Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, NM, Arizona. Stay hydrated pure and simple.

I'm on ST.N so its not like I'm a productive member of society anyway.   DogBoy
It's the internet.  It runs on drama.    Cablebandit
The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
dietDrThunder

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
GPS: Nashville, TN
Miles Typed: 494

My Photo Gallery

Why so serious, son?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 03:07:45 pm »

Sorry chief. I'm not a subscriber of this mindset. I'm not a professional LD rider but my rides tend to start at 400-500 miles and go up from there. Most of the 200-300K miles I've ridden in my lifetime have been in the southwest. Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, NM, Arizona. Stay hydrated pure and simple.

This is why the saying about dogs and tricks exists.

Dave Arkle
WERA Expert #13 - retired
DoD #11011
Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 01:05:33 am »

I have a Joe Rocket perforated leather jacket and love it. It does flow a bit of air and after a few rides, it is second skin.  

mastros2.wordpress.com
sharkette

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 08 Raider SSSSSSSSSSSS
GPS: any where i wana b
Miles Typed: 314

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 07:07:44 am »

Aerostitch, Transit.
Is probably the best on the market..

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-suits/transit-suit/transit-two-piece-suit.html
Baz

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 9065

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 12:05:39 pm »

I find ridng in a thong the best for hawt days.
Hambonee

Reputation 37

Motorcycles: 2013 BMW GS 1200
GPS: Kenmore, WA
Miles Typed: 443

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 11:27:13 pm »

I bought one of these on sale for under 200..

Scorpion Stinger Perf Leather Jacket  

The graphic on the back is barely visible(thankfully). It looks like they accentuated it for the photos. Long and short is it flows a LOT of air and is really well made. In saying that I live in Washington state so we don't get long stretches over about 85 here and humidity is minor.

There back to around 400 now but sure they will pop back on sale at some point.

I went to the psychiatrist, and he says "You're crazy " I tell him I want a second opinion. He says, "Okay, you're ugly too!" (Rodney Dangerfield)
miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 12:10:08 am »

Aerostitch, Transit.
Is probably the best on the market..

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-suits/transit-suit/transit-two-piece-suit.html

Have you actually worn the Transit suit in the heat?  I've been curious about how well it works on hot days.

Three points where two lines meet
tbzep
Dazed and Confused

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2007 Anniversary VFR, 2008 VFR
GPS: West TN
Miles Typed: 350

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 12:03:03 pm »

Have you actually worn the Transit suit in the heat?  I've been curious about how well it works on hot days.

Miguel (HispanicSlammer) of VFR.D wears the Transit.  He's been riding to the Gap the last few years so he's at least experienced some of our West TN  cool spring temperatures of 85-90 degrees in it.  You might PM him and get his thoughts.  He's a member here along with being the owner of VFR.D.
AnotherOne

Reputation -3

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys
Miles Typed: 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 03:29:24 am »

I'm looking to get some decent leather gear for touring in HOT climates.  I know that leather isn't the best choice for riding in hot weather, or for long distance, but at 90+ degrees your never really going to be comfortable no matter what you wear.

I have pretty much zero experience when it comes to leather gear, any suggestions on where to start looking?

I would look into a cooling vest.
AnotherOne

Reputation -3

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys
Miles Typed: 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 12:00:59 pm »

Leather mesh works the best but some cheaper jackets are not that protective.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-ignition-leather-jacket

I own mesh and heavily perforated leather. The leather is cool but not as cool as mesh.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal