Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: The Snake makes the morning news, CHP to crack down..  (Read 8238 times)

M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 2 VFRs & a GTS
GPS: 1 hr N/W of LA LA Land
Miles Typed: 2850

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 10:22:40 pm »

Yeah, I'm aware.  I'm arguing against the tactic, not the general location.  Mere presence on Mullholland Hwy on a sport bike does not make one either a criminal or a squid.  

Your argument about either distracted riders dumping bikes at the sight of xxxx or the fact that it is on Mullholand is a non-sequitur, what I am criticising is law enforcement contributing to more accidents because it might be a good place to surprise people and make some money.

Anybody who rides the snake on a weekend, and doesn't expect to see cops has to be pretty clueless.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 01:07:28 pm »

Your argument about either distracted riders dumping bikes at the sight of xxxx or the fact that it is on Mullholand is a non-sequitur, what I am criticising is law enforcement contributing to more accidents because it might be a good place to surprise people and make some money.

Seeing that is the corner where a surprising number of bikes are dumped, it makes sense for the cop to be parked a little further down to make sure they are ok.  This is a much more efficient use of resources than having the cop drive there several times a day.
Or maybe it would be better if they just parked an ambulance and tow truck there instead?

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 01:17:29 pm »

I think that's not being Pro-active in preventing crashes on that very same corner.  Driving up and down the road won't do it either.  How about just parking before the notorious corner?  

Or posting two units at the beginning or end of the most crash laden section of the road?  Just a thought.  If the goal is the prevention of crashes and reckless riding, there are better ways to do it.  

Rogue
Advertisement

atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 01:29:15 pm »

I think that's not being Pro-active in preventing crashes on that very same corner.  Driving up and down the road won't do it either.  How about just parking before the notorious corner?  

Or posting two units at the beginning or end of the most crash laden section of the road?  Just a thought.  If the goal is the prevention of crashes and reckless riding, there are better ways to do it.  

Actually where that cop is parked is the only place that a car can park on the Snake.  Posting cop cars on either end of the road is not going to prevent anyone from crashing on that corner.  Remember, most do not crash there.

Maybe the solution is mandatory training to make sure only people who can handle curves in the road w/o falling off should be allowed to use the road?  They would have to show the cops, placed on either end of the road, their certificate of completion before tackling the Snake...

sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 12:10:59 am »

Blaming a PARKED squad car for a motorcyclist's crash.  

Seriously?  How putting the blame where it belongs:  the moron riding the bike.   Rolleyes

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
daremrc

Reputation -2

Motorcycles: 2005 Triumph Sprint ST
GPS: South Pasadena, CA
Miles Typed: 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 01:21:48 am »

Seriously?  How putting the blame where it belongs:  the moron riding the bike.   Rolleyes

Not blaming, just pointing out the contributing factor aspect.

I'm a sport skydiver, when we have something go wrong in our sport and someone is hurt or killed, we dissect it and begin to look at it from a 'chain of events' perspective.  Break a link in the chain, and the accident likely wouldn't have happened...  

I'm done with this discussion.  I'm not saying the cop was 100% to blame, nor am I saying that the guy should have been on the road in the first place.  What I'm saying is that there is a type of law enforcement that you and I both pay for that can actually make the roads *less* safe, and it certainly appears that this *might* be an example of it.  Just because the dude upthread that cheered the cop wasn't in *this* corner when it happened, doesn't mean he couldn't have been.  And it also doesn't mean the bike-crasher would certainly have killed him on a later curve.

My point is that the law enforcement community does not necessarily have your best interests in mind, especially as motorcyclist/minority of motorists.    So before we go slap officer blind-curve on the back and give him an 'attaboy' for creatively sitting in a hiding spot, perhaps contributing to this accident, and writing this guy up for his retarted low-side...  Perhaps we should consider what the definition of a  good job by LEO's is.  Maybe then, as a community of motorcyclists, we can voice our opinions and help mold law enforcement into something that can make the roads safer for us.  

Or you can tell me about straw-man bikini babes in the corner, etcetera, etcetera...

G'night

Ignorance is not bliss - vigilance is.
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 01:28:54 am »

Not blaming, just pointing out the contributing factor aspect.

I'm a sport skydiver, when we have something go wrong in our sport and someone is hurt or killed, we dissect it and begin to look at it from a 'chain of events' perspective.  Break a link in the chain, and the accident likely wouldn't have happened...  

I'm done with this discussion.  I'm not saying the cop was 100% to blame, nor am I saying that the guy should have been on the road in the first place.  What I'm saying is that there is a type of law enforcement that you and I both pay for that can actually make the roads *less* safe, and it certainly appears that this *might* be an example of it.  Just because the dude upthread that cheered the cop wasn't in *this* corner when it happened, doesn't mean he couldn't have been.  And it also doesn't mean the bike-crasher would certainly have killed him on a later curve.

My point is that the law enforcement community does not necessarily have your best interests in mind, especially as motorcyclist/minority of motorists.    So before we go slap officer blind-curve on the back and give him an 'attaboy' for creatively sitting in a hiding spot, perhaps contributing to this accident, and writing this guy up for his retarted low-side...  Perhaps we should consider what the definition of a  good job by LEO's is.  Maybe then, as a community of motorcyclists, we can voice our opinions and help mold law enforcement into something that can make the roads safer for us.  

Or you can tell me about straw-man bikini babes in the corner, etcetera, etcetera...

G'night

Talk about overthinking things.....
daremrc

Reputation -2

Motorcycles: 2005 Triumph Sprint ST
GPS: South Pasadena, CA
Miles Typed: 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 01:44:13 am »

Talk about overthinking things.....

Think less about your involvement with sportbikes on the open road.  good plan.  Rolleyes

Ignorance is not bliss - vigilance is.
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 01:54:51 am »

I'm done with this discussion.

G'night

Headscratch
 Nuts

Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 11:24:18 am »

My point is that the law enforcement community does not necessarily have your best interests in mind, especially as motorcyclist/minority of motorists.    

Yup.  The only people who have our best interest in mind are ourselves.  That officer was sent there by someone to ambush over enthusiastic riders/drivers.  Period.  Can you blame him?  The road is notorious.  The dude is probably laughing his ass off at the reaction of the motorists going by.  To be honest, I've ridden with a few LEO's myself and every single one of them had an attitude, or frame of mind, or whatever you want to call it, that made me nervous and suspicious as to why they became LEO's in the first place.  Having the public's best interest in mind was never the impression I got.  They also routinely broke speed and traffic laws like there was no tomorrow.  Pass on a double yellow?  Anytime anywhere.  Go triple digits?  Say when.  Why not?  They probably won't get a ticket anyway!  In that way it was cool to ride with them.   Lol  But once that uniform is on, watch out!

Rogue
atadaskew

Reputation 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 01:56:21 pm »

It's always someone else's fault, remember?
Sheesh.

tomek

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 3
GPS: 60527
Miles Typed: 1849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 10:48:41 am »

All those crashes and acts of utter stupidity are staged and for entertaining purposes  only .

I`ve been long enough on internet forums and know that  Kulifornia riders and drivers are awesome and without any doubt the best in the world .

Razz

Fast bikes save lives

If you are not sliding you are not riding
viffergyrl

Reputation 32

Motorcycles: 99 Honda VFR 800 2001 Ducati ST4
GPS: 1 hour northwest of LA-LA Land....
Miles Typed: 1301

My Photo Gallery

Road Witch

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 12:39:40 am »

Saturday, June 30th -

The man gettin' his lean on.... Hope someone doesn't crash trying to imitate him.  Razz

http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/7489717880/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/7489718568/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/7489814958/

M.Brane and son:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/7489674730/

Me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/7489675412/

Another day riding the 'Snake' without crashing.

Don't argue with an idiot; people might not be able to tell the difference - Anonymous

1999 Honda VFR 800 (the Vixen) 2001 Ducati ST4 (Stanley)
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 07:10:39 pm »

Always good to be competent at what you do.  Thanks for the pics.   Thumbsup

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal