Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Motels/Hotels in WV  (Read 6698 times)

Cricket1

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJ09
GPS: Ohio
Miles Typed: 798

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 01:34:26 pm »

WV separated from the Confederate state of Virginia in 1863 and aligned with the Union. Technically, West Virginians are Yankees.

EDIT to add:  Though, most folks living in southen WV will never agree they're Yankees.   Lol 

Not just southern WV, you'll see plenty of Stars and Bars flying all over the state.

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Winston Churchill
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Cricket1

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 01:40:05 pm »

Just hosted Beakster Bash IX at the Quality Inn in Lewisburg, WV last weekend.
Try to book for rooms around the back(#'s 168-176) away from the B.S.
Quiet, secluded, and safe.

Doc

Doc- How was Lewisburg for a riding base?  I'm thinking of a 3-4 day fall trip and deciding between Lewisburg and Marlinton. The Quality Inn Marlinton was base for ESTN in 2010?, but Marlinton is such a small town, is there more than 1 or two restaurants there? I realize Lewisburg is small too, but probably has more eating and nightlife options?

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Winston Churchill
SLK50

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: '06 FJR
GPS: Altoona, PA
Miles Typed: 1278

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 03:08:21 pm »

WV separated from the Confederate state of Virginia in 1863 and aligned with the Union. Technically, West Virginians are Yankees.

EDIT to add:  Though, most folks living in southen WV will never agree they're Yankees.   Lol 

The "alignment" was over the issue of slavery, they didn't move the Mason-Dixon Line.
WV is still The South.

Southern hospitality rules!
Advertisement

SLK50

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: '06 FJR
GPS: Altoona, PA
Miles Typed: 1278

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 03:11:11 pm »

Doc- How was Lewisburg for a riding base?  I'm thinking of a 3-4 day fall trip and deciding between Lewisburg and Marlinton. The Quality Inn Marlinton was base for ESTN in 2010?, but Marlinton is such a small town, is there more than 1 or two restaurants there? I realize Lewisburg is small too, but probably has more eating and nightlife options?

More options for sure but there is also tons more traffic and
strictly enforced speed limits in town. Just saying.
MrsCablebandit
Purveyor of Cookies

Reputation 150

Motorcycles: Passenger on a Flying Pig ('10 C14)
GPS: Stormstown, PA
Miles Typed: 1141

My Photo Gallery

13,910 miles and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 03:54:26 pm »

The Quality Inn in Lewisburg was the site of the 2010 National.

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Miscellaneous musings, including ride reports and pictures.

"File away honey, you can't restrain the pretty!" - Spanky
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 05:37:35 pm »

The "alignment" was over the issue of slavery, they didn't move the Mason-Dixon Line.
WV is still The South.

Southern hospitality rules!

The Mason-Dixon line has nothing to do with the Civil War or North v. South.  It was all about a boundary dispute between the British colonies of Maryland and Pennsylvania/Delaware

WV is many things to many people.  In fact, I believe the state has a split personality.  There are areas which are filled with more Yanks and others populated with those which would more align themselves with the South.  There's line somewhere in the state where the tea comes already sweet.   Bigsmile
Cricket1

Reputation 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 05:54:16 pm »

The Quality Inn in Lewisburg was the site of the 2010 National.

Ok, but wasnt there an ESTN meet, maybe 2007, that was in Marlinton?  I think it was the Brier Inn?

Winston Churchill
Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 12:29:39 am »

The Mason-Dixon line has nothing to do with the Civil War or North v. South.  It was all about a boundary dispute between the British colonies of Maryland and Pennsylvania/Delaware

WV is many things to many people.  In fact, I believe the state has a split personality.  There are areas which are filled with more Yanks and others populated with those which would more align themselves with the South.  There's line somewhere in the state where the tea comes already sweet.   Bigsmile

Nice history lesson, Doug.  Thanks!   Thumbsup  I was under the Mason-Dixon "assumption".   A co-worker went to WVU.  He mentioned t-shirts that read something to the like of, "The University of New Jersey, Morgantown Campus".

Sorry about the thread jack...

mastros2.wordpress.com
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 02:12:36 pm »

"The University of New Jersey, Morgantown Campus".

There's a lot of truth to that.  My two best mates from college were from northern NJ.

[ / thread jack ]

sorry.   Embarassment
MrsCablebandit
Purveyor of Cookies

Reputation 150

Motorcycles: Passenger on a Flying Pig ('10 C14)
GPS: Stormstown, PA
Miles Typed: 1141

My Photo Gallery

13,910 miles and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 02:14:30 pm »

Ok, but wasnt there an ESTN meet, maybe 2007, that was in Marlinton?  I think it was the Brier Inn?

Marlinton Motor Inn.  Thumbsup

http://pineappleponderings.blogspot.com/ - Miscellaneous musings, including ride reports and pictures.

"File away honey, you can't restrain the pretty!" - Spanky
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5189

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 08:56:34 am »

Marlinton Motor Inn.  Thumbsup
Ah the under water (R Doug was there and so was the frenchie rainmakers) meet

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 08:56:52 pm »

Haven't been to Lewisburg yet but it seems like a few of you have. Could you describe it?  More like Marlinton or another right off the interstate town?

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 08:06:17 am »

.... or another right off the interstate town?

This.  There's a little more stuff "downtown" but it's pretty much a highway exit town.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '04 ST1300A, '03 CB900F3, '92 CBR600F2, '82 GL1100, '81 CB750FE
GPS: Hampton, N.J.
Miles Typed: 1708

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 05:37:40 pm »

A better location with more amenities and certainly better food IMO than Marlinton, although I do like the MMI. We did three loops over three days: one loop down to base of WV, one up to the high country, and one over to Natural Bridge with a little BRP in the mix. Five days total: 1,819 miles.

Friends Don't Let Friends Early Apex.
lloydo

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: R1200RT
GPS: Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
Miles Typed: 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 02:37:27 pm »

Just got back from a 3 day trip to WV.  Spent the first night in Lewisburg at the Super 8 (it was fine for what I needed).  Downtown Lewisburg is really nice; however, the gallery/shop to restaurant ratio comes up a bit short.  The Irish Pub is very good with excellent music but limited menu (irish stew, corned beef, etc.).  

After a long day 2 of riding we ended up in Thomas, WV, home of my absolutely favorite bar/restaurant anywhere, The Purple Fiddle.  It is rare to find a place even in the city that brings in the quality of music as this one.   I stayed in the "Guest House"--next to the restaurant, basic (bathroom down the hall) but overall a fine place for a motorcycle trip.  www.purplefiddle.com

Doc, we've never met; but, I remember one of your posts from several years back that said something like "once you go to West Virginia you will go back again and again"...  I've gone back again and again!

Update with several other places to eat:  1)  the Wild Bean (vegetarian)  in Lewisburg (vegetarian) has great coffee and excellent breakfast--try the burrito or egg scramble 2)  Main Street Cafe in Webster Springs... go here if you want to see a place that has most likely not changed in 40+ years.  The Meatloaf Sandwich with Mash Potatoes and Gravy with coffee for $4.75 total kept me full until evening!

Lloyd
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:30:17 pm by lloydo » Logged
Oilhed
MarkF

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2009 BMW K1200LT (trunkless)
GPS: Connecticut
Miles Typed: 1873

My Photo Gallery

MarkF

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 06:48:39 pm »

Doc, we've never met; but, I remember one of your posts from several years back that said something like "once you go to West Virginia you will go back again and again"...  I've gone back again and again!

Lloyd

That is so true. My love affair began almost ten years ago. After a four year hiatus I went back last month. I have not stopped thinking about a return trip since I got back home.

MarkF

new bike - BMW K1200LT & old bikes - BMW R1150GS, Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Yammie TW200, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '04 ST1300A, '03 CB900F3, '92 CBR600F2, '82 GL1100, '81 CB750FE
GPS: Hampton, N.J.
Miles Typed: 1708

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 07:50:11 pm »

Just got back from a 3 day trip to WV.  Spent the first night in Lewisburg at the Super 8 (it was fine for what I needed).  Downtown Lewisburg is really nice; however, the gallery/shop to restaurant ratio comes up a bit short.  The Irish Pub is very good with excellent music but limited menu (irish stew, corned beef, etc.).  

After a long day 2 of riding we ended up in Thomas, WV, home of my absolutely favorite bar/restaurant anywhere, The Purple Fiddle.  It is rare to find a place even in the city that brings in the quality of music as this one.   I stayed in the "Guest House"--next to the restaurant, basic (bathroom down the hall) but overall a fine place for a motorcycle trip.  www.purplefiddle.com

Doc, we've never met; but, I remember one of your posts from several years back that said something like "once you go to West Virginia you will go back again and again"...  I've gone back again and again!

Update with several other places to eat:  1)  the Wild Bean (vegetarian)  in Lewisburg (vegetarian) has great coffee and excellent breakfast--try the burrito or egg scramble 2)  Main Street Cafe in Webster Springs... go here if you want to see a place that has most likely not changed in 40+ years.  The Meatloaf Sandwich with Mash Potatoes and Gravy with coffee for $4.75 total kept me full until evening!

Lloyd

Yep; it makes a believer out of us all after your first trip to the Mountain State. Been going for over 30 years and I never get tired of it. The place next the Purple Fiddle is called The Roost. Stayed there one night just to soak up the music of "Hard Swimmin' Fish" playing next door.

There is great book on West Virginia roads, attractions, places to stay etc. by Mario Caruso. It takes you around the state in 8 days.

https://www.wonderfulwv.com/shopping/shopping.cfm?itemid=4846&deptid=69&showdetail=yes

Doc
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 09:59:47 pm by ST-DocLizard1 » Logged

Friends Don't Let Friends Early Apex.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal