Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Internet Access issues - assigning IP Address? NO ONE CAN SOLVE IT.  (Read 2146 times)

Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Versys Adventure
GPS: So Cal
Miles Typed: 5294

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 04:58:47 PM »

Found the advanced tab as pictured - It says, under IP Addresses, "Automatic Configuration Only" and will not allow me to enable DHCP.

Hmmm..

If the tab previous to that is set to DHCP it should be OK, see below pic.

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
                                      - William Shakespeare
Dan K

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: '03 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 3909

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 04:59:54 PM »

This issue will affect specific devices as the DHCP server will try to assign the same IP address to the same device even after the lease expires as long as the server thinks that the address is free. Could be Win, Mac, Linux, whatever. DHCP doesn't care.

I don't really understand what a 'lease' is, but will there be a problem if I assign addresses to other devices? Will those leases run out, then the assignment has to change?

I am total newb, just game to log into router and change settings if it will fix problem.

- Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K

airstash.com - check it out!
Dan K

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 05:01:28 PM »

If the tab previous to that is set to DHCP it should be OK, see below pic.

OK, the tab for Internet Protocol Version 4 (as opposed to 6), at the advanced properties tab says IP Settings - DHCP ENabled.

Does that help?

Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 05:07:32 PM »

I don't really understand what a 'lease' is, but will there be a problem if I assign addresses to other devices? Will those leases run out, then the assignment has to change?

I am total newb, just game to log into router and change settings if it will fix problem.

- Dan

Lease is the amount of time the DHCP server will reserve an IP for a specific device. If set to 24 hours and that device goes offline for more than 24 hours the DHCP server adds the IP back to the "pool" and is allowed to use it again at a later date.
Posted on: 31-05-2012, 14:05:45

OK, the tab for Internet Protocol Version 4 (as opposed to 6), at the advanced properties tab says IP Settings - DHCP ENabled.

Does that help?

If those are the settings for your wireless lan adapter then it should be all set. Sounds like something is whacky with your DHCP server settings on the router. I would check that when you have a chance.

- William Shakespeare
JReazor

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2000 SV650, 2011 Sprint GT, 2007 C3
GPS: Drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
Miles Typed: 3319

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 05:11:56 PM »

The problem must be elsewhere on your network.

Can you open a command prompt and type "ipconfig" with out the quotes? Look for a line that says "IPv4 Address...". That'll tell you what the computer's IP Address is. If you can find another device with that same address you can take care of it there. Or you can take the easy way out and exclude that address from the DHCP scope on the router.
Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 05:25:20 PM »

Not sure what your router interface will look like but we had this Netgear router laying around the lab and I attached to it. Setting lease duration doesn't look like its an option on this but you can read the section I circled in red and it may help. Do what JReazor said and make sure the DHCP range does not include the IP listed when you run ipconfig /all on your laptop (once its connected).

Personally I would select every device on your network as it states in the "To Delete A Reserved IP Address" section and delete them. Then let the server reassign all the IPs.

- William Shakespeare
expatbrit

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1243

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 05:56:08 PM »

Sounds like insufficent DHCP pool or a personal firewall and the router is pinging before assigning.
JReazor

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 06:41:46 PM »

Sounds like insufficent DHCP pool or a personal firewall and the router is pinging before assigning.

If that were the case he probably wouldn't get a conflict, he just wouldn't get an address.
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3475

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 07:28:51 PM »

Misc thoughts:

That conflicting IP address error is often BS and windows just throws it because it doesn't know what else to throw out.

Being a work laptop it may be behind on patches.  If you have sufficient permission disable IPV6 and reboot. It's a long shot but we had to disable ipv6 on a large number of windows 7 machines shortly after win7 came out to resolve mysterious connectivity issues.

How is the wireless signal strength on your network to all the devices? I used to have to reboot my router daily when my daughter was home because she was right at the edge of the routers range when in her room and it would cause the router to lock up. I ended up installing 3rd party firmware and created a wireless mesh network using three wireless routers spaced throughout the house so now we have great wireless coverage every where and I haven't had to reboot the routers once for about the last 12 months.

Static IP assignments work but are a PITA when you are moving from one location to another. I only use static IPs on things like printers and media distribution points. I highly recommend keeping things DHCP were possible.  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:33:12 PM by Windblown » Logged

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
Cobalt
Jim Thorpe's valet

Reputation 161

Motorcycles: It's 20 years old.
Miles Typed: 2971

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 10:06:46 AM »

Misc thoughts:

That conflicting IP address error is often BS and windows just throws it because it doesn't know what else to throw out.

Being a work laptop it may be behind on patches.  If you have sufficient permission disable IPV6 and reboot. It's a long shot but we had to disable ipv6 on a large number of windows 7 machines shortly after win7 came out to resolve mysterious connectivity issues.

I'm wondering if there are some security issues on the box preventing it from properly attaching to an "unknown" network.  Headscratch

"Chris is correct." -- bomber
Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 12:17:36 PM »

If that were the case he probably wouldn't get a conflict, he just wouldn't get an address.

Assuming the router is working like its supposed to. My FIOS provided router gets brain damage about once every 4 or 5 months.  Firmware upgrades do not help. Verizon refuses to replace it.

- William Shakespeare
JReazor

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »

Assuming the router is working like its supposed to. My FIOS provided router gets brain damage about once every 4 or 5 months.  Firmware upgrades do not help. Verizon refuses to replace it.

Good point. My FiOS router was a giant piece of crap as well. Verizon replaced it 2 or 3 times over the course of a year. I have since switched back to Comcast and bought my own equipment.
CanSwiss

Reputation 1

GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 58

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »

Try increasing the DHCP address pool. and Netgear routers have an option for dealing with IP setups that are not DHCP or static in range they like called any IP. Try that as well in case there is a system policy in place from work that is messing with it.

My Netgear router has a 32 address pool by default, and sometimes when I am messing with virtual machines, it runs out, so I cranked it up to 200. No more problems.

Also, as others have said, update firmware on the router and check windows updates. I had an issue with a previous Netgear router that would not renew leases on ip addresses. Turns out it was an ARP cache issue in that firmware. Had to downgrade the firmware to fix it.

And also see if there is a new driver for the net card in the laptop. Sometimes there are newer versions that never get pushed through windows update.
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Yam XVS950, Ninja 650
GPS: SE Wisc
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 04:33:40 PM »

Some fundamental questions;
Do you use the wireless on that laptop at work?  If you do, are you turning the wireless off between using it at work and then at home?
Any chance you can find out the model of the wireless card in that laptop?
When you say:
My solution, which works sometimes, is to turn off as many other wifi devices in the house that I can, and turn off the router, reset the cable modem, turn the router back on, and pray.  This usually works for a while, but eventually I'll be back to 'limited access' with no internet.

Do you mean it will work for a few days or just a few hours?
Please try turning of a cpl other devices, reboot the router, wait a cpl mins, turn on your problem laptop and connect.  Then turn the other devices back on.   Tell us the results.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Cobalt
Jim Thorpe's valet

Reputation 161

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 04:35:59 PM »

Do you mean it will work for a few days or just a few hours?
Please try turning of a cpl other devices, reboot the router, wait a cpl mins, turn on your problem laptop and connect.  Then turn the other devices back on.   Tell us the results.

Then repeat that without turning on the other devices and see if the problem persists. If not, then it seems you're bumping up against either a radio conflict between devices, or the much-discussed DHCP address range limit.

rgbeard

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: 2001 Speed Triple, 2001 Trophy 1200
GPS: Bonsall, CA, Ensenada, Mexico & Phx, AZ
Miles Typed: 3947

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 04:50:14 PM »

Even with DHCP (automatic IP) addresses being issued by the device, this does not prevent you from taking a few around-the-house devices, and assigning them IP addresses that are static.

Allow your laptop the joy of the Automatic IP address, as it comes and goes with you to the coffee shop, hotel lobby, etc.

Take the devices that stay home, and start manually assigning addresses, hopefully far away from where the router at home is issuing the automatic ones.

For instance, if your router issues addresses at:  192.168.1.2 and works its way up from there, assign the stay-home devices starting at 192.168.1.70.

The distance between “Impossible!” and “All we need is a free weekend and some kind of rocket motor” is about 10 drinks.
Dan K

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 03:12:05 PM »

Will try to do some of this stuff tonight.  With all of these suggestions, I am guessing the problem will be resolved bu one of them.  

Works for a few hours, then cuts out.  Unplugging the router and resetting the cable modem, then turning the router back on, works 25% of the time.

-Dan

Cobalt
Jim Thorpe's valet

Reputation 161

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »

That tells me it's not really the router, and more an issue with the client. I'm still leaning toward radio interference, or just a plain old bad radio in the work computer. Maybe...?

Dan K

Reputation 108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 05:34:17 PM »

That tells me it's not really the router, and more an issue with the client. I'm still leaning toward radio interference, or just a plain old bad radio in the work computer. Maybe...?

Never have that problem except for when I'm home.  Works at the office when I drag it to a conference room, works at the library, works at the DuPage County courthouse (only used it there once or twice, not there often).  I've used it once at a starbucks (I ordered Chai tea...can't stand Starbucks...just needed internet and I was at a court house in the boonies...) no problems anywhere else.

Of course I use it wireless at home more than anywhere else, and you know what they say - most accidents occur within 5 miles of your home... (because you ride to and from every time you ride of course...)  Smile

- Dan

JReazor

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 05:38:10 PM »

Let's start a pool.

I'm still going with an actual IP conflict. Mostly because that what the computer says it is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal