Mark your calendars NOW for the 2013 Region 6 Spring Meet to be held from Friday, May 3rd through Sunday, May 5th, 2013.
Our home base for 2013 will be the Canaan Valley Resort, State Park, & Conference Center in Davis, WV. Like Boyer Station in 2012, this location satisfies those who want to camp and those who prefer a lodge room. Either way, I think you’ll find the rates to be quite reasonable.http://canaanresort.com/ACCOMMODATIONSLodge
– The Lodge at Canaan Valley Resort offers 150 guest rooms with features such as cable TV with remote control, complimentary high-speed Internet access, complimentary coffee and tea, AM/FM alarm clock radio, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and individual climate control. Lodge amenities include an arcade with video games, air hockey, and billiards; a gift shop; and the Beech club with a heated indoor pool, whirlpool spa, fitness center, and sauna.
For 2012, Canaan Valley is offering a special rate for lodge rooms for motorcyclists of $59/night based on availability (worth noting for the rest of the year, for certain!). I was able to negotiate with them and have them extend that rate to our group for our Spring 2013 meet (their original offer was $69/night). With state and county taxes and the resort fee ($6/night), the total per night rate is $72.44.
$59/night lodge rooms (2 double beds or 1 queen, single or double occupancy)
Total per night $72.44 (with taxes and resort fees)
Triple occupancy ($69/night) and quadruple occupancy ($79/night) requests will be placed into rooms with two double beds. Executive King rooms (king bed) are available for $99/night.Camping
– Canaan Valley Campground offers 34 paved, wooded sites with full hookups; a comfort station with laundry and shower facilities; a discharge station for self-contained units; ice and firewood available for purchase; and leashed pets are permitted.
Campsites can accommodate one RV per site, one RV plus one tent per site, or two tents per site with a maximum of six people per site. Tenters, find a buddy and share a site to split the costs!
$20/night per campsite (includes taxes) plus $6.50 reservation feeRoom and Campsite Block
– A total of 20 lodge rooms and 15 campsites have been reserved for our group. With 150 rooms and 34 campsites, Canaan Valley will have plenty of space should our numbers exceed our planned block, so…no worries! Rooms and campsites will be held until Wednesday, April 3rd. After that date, any remaining inventory in the block will be released to the general public.Attrition
– If, after our block release date, the total number of lodge rooms reserved on our block falls below 90% of the contracted space (18 out of 20 rooms), nightly room rates will be increased by 7%. If the total number of lodge rooms reserved on our block falls below 75% (15 out of 20 rooms), nightly room rates will be increased by 10%. If we fall below 12 rooms reserved, we will be charged the rack rate per night of $79.Cancellation Policy
– Canaan Valley has a 72-hour cancellation policy for Lodge Rooms should the weather or personal circumstances necessitate a change in your plans. Campsites must be cancelled 7 days prior to arrival. Deposit
– Deposits equal to the amount of one night’s lodging will be collected at time of reservation.FOOD
Canaan Valley Resort has a full-service restaurant (Hickory Dining Room), a café (Caffe Sienna), a grill (Clubhouse Grill), and lounge/pub (Laurel Lounge) on-site, all of which will be open during our stay.http://canaanresort.com/canaan-valley-resort/dining/SOCIALIZING
Alcohol consumption is permitted at Canaan Valley in the campground and in lodge rooms. Canaan Valley does have a large pavilion they can rent to us for $400 for the weekend where we’d be able to have bonfires each night, but alcohol consumed there must be purchased from Canaan Valley. For the time being, I declined the option to reserve the pavilion. Between the fire rings at the campground and the Laurel Lounge in the Lodge, I think we’ll be fine socializing on our own.
Quiet time at Canaan Valley is 10 PM to 8 AM and, as the contract states, is strictly enforced.PETROL
There are at least three gas stations within a 10-mile radius of Canaan Valley, including an Exxon 7.9 miles SW and a Citgo 8.6 miles N. ROUTES
I’ll say the same thing I did for 2012. This is not my forte, but…from personal (passenger) experience, there is no such thing as “bad riding” in this area. US 220, US 250, US 50, WV 28, WV 33, Smoke Hole Road, and the Highland Scenic Highway – they’re all INCREDIBLE! And those are just in the immediate vicinity. Folks so much better suited for route planning will certainly have ideas to share.NOTE ABOUT THE AREA
Most of the riding in this area of West Virginia is part of the National Radio Quiet Zone - approximately 13,000 square miles of land that screens out most incoming radio signals, allowing the Green Bank telescopes to receive signals that are otherwise too low in power to be heard over the normal radio background in North America.
This means no cell service. There are plenty of pay phones in this area. If you think you'll need to touch base with someone back home during the length of your stay, you may want to invest in a pre-paid phone card. You might also want to explain this idea of a "quiet zone" to significant others, children, overbearing bosses, etc., so they don't freak out when they can't reach you. WHAT YOU NEED TO DO
1. Put in your vacation requests at work and at home!
2a. (LODGE) Call 1-800-622-4121 between the hours of 8 AM and 8 PM, press “1,” and ask for reservations in the “Sport Touring Region 6” room/campsite block.
2b. (CAMPING) Call Lori at 304-866-4121 x92648 to reserve campsites in the "Sport Touring Region 6 block.
3. Talk it up with other ST.Ners and start plotting/planning your rides!