Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: "Tactical" boots  (Read 17941 times)

stefrrr

« on: April 21, 2007, 04:52:08 pm »

So I saw some uniform "tactical" boots at Sears. They're 6" black police-type uniform boots. Anyone here use them in any brand?

Because they're "tactical," will my riding improve?  Bigsmile
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

stefrrr

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 04:56:27 pm »

How about Gaerne boots? Any experience with these? I was looking at the "movie" and "panarama," I think...

I'm looking for a good all-around riding boot, waterproof would be just lovely. I can wear men's boots if they go down to a men's six, which some of them do. The Gaerne boots for women don't have a contact patch on the toe, so I'm looking at the men's ones that do.
rselin

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Miles Typed: 155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 05:14:51 pm »

I'm not a woman, but I've had two pairs of Sidi boots I've been really happy with.  Their Tepor lining is waterproof.  Maybe something like this is what you're looking for?

http://www.superbikeitalia.com/shop/details.asp?id=141&iCat=40

I get your point.  You're so sharp.  (Tom Verlaine)
Advertisement

jschmidt

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 06:41:38 pm »

So I saw some uniform "tactical" boots at Sears. They're 6" black police-type uniform boots. Anyone here use them in any brand?

Because they're "tactical," will my riding improve?  Bigsmile
Wearing tactical underwear makes you better in bed, so I suppose so.  Lol

Have I mentioned the tactical bra. It has a pyro charge clasp.
shawn and gwyn
colorado riding family

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 97 KLR650, 01 concours, 94 klr250,09 bandit 1250
Miles Typed: 606

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 06:57:17 pm »

i couldnt find any actual motorcycle boots  that fit me... wide foot.  so i use a pair of herman survivors.. 40 bucks at walmart..  leather and nylon construction, and waterproof... they fit great.. the ones i have are 8" tops.

check somthing like that out..

shawn
stefrrr

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 08:54:08 pm »

Wearing tactical underwear makes you better in bed, so I suppose so.  Lol

Have I mentioned the tactical bra. It has a pyro charge clasp.

Is that available at Victoria's Secret?

i couldnt find any actual motorcycle boots  that fit me... wide foot.  so i use a pair of herman survivors.. 40 bucks at walmart..  leather and nylon construction, and waterproof... they fit great.. the ones i have are 8" tops.

check somthing like that out..

shawn

I think that's similar to what I was looking at - I get an employee discount at Sears. Do you know how they might perform in a wreck? I sprained both my ankles a few years ago, and I want to keep that from happening again.  Crazy
highside

Reputation 11

GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 4293

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 09:31:55 pm »

I think that's similar to what I was looking at - I get an employee discount at Sears. Do you know how they might perform in a wreck? I sprained both my ankles a few years ago, and I want to keep that from happening again.  Crazy

Actual motorcycle boots will do a lot more to keep it from happening again in an actual motorcycle crash, that is what they are for.

Motorcycle boots are expensive because they incorporate this sort of protection, does that give you an idea of why these "tactical" boots are cheap?

If these are the $50 variety of high-top tactical boot (they have various labels, but i think they are made by only one or two third world companies and are rebranded stateside),  then they arent even any good for their intended purpose. I used to have to wear over-the-ankle boots like this for work and boots of this nature don't last for more than 6 months to a year under normal use (just walking and standing), even good tactical boots cost a couple hundred bucks, these are made for security guards that make $8/hour who cannot afford a decent pair of boots. They might be better than tennis shoes, but not by much.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 09:34:25 pm by highside » Logged
stefrrr

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 10:00:47 pm »

If these are the $50 variety of high-top tactical boot (they have various labels, but i think they are made by only one or two third world companies and are rebranded stateside),  then they arent even any good for their intended purpose. I used to have to wear over-the-ankle boots like this for work and boots of this nature don't last for more than 6 months to a year under normal use (just walking and standing), even good tactical boots cost a couple hundred bucks, these are made for security guards that make $8/hour who cannot afford a decent pair of boots. They might be better than tennis shoes, but not by much.

That was pretty much what I expected - thanks for the advice, minus the condescending tone.
highside

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 11:03:56 pm »

That was pretty much what I expected - thanks for the advice, minus the condescending tone.

It was not meant to be condescending.

All but one of the posts that preceded mine were either bad advice, or childish crotchsniffing. I provide an actual answere to your question complete with my reasoning and real world experience, all the while treating you like an adult, and that's the post that you complain about being condescending. I'll bear that in mind should you ask another question for which I have valid advice.

You can afford a motorcycle, you have pre-existing injuries to both of your ankles, an expressed concern for re-injuring them, you belong (and have belonged for some time) to a forum that has *ample* available information regarding equipment, and then you ask if a $50 pair of combat boots is suitable gear. My mother did say that there is no such thing as a stupid question but then again she lied about the Easter Bunny (he does NOT lay the lay the chocolate eggs himself).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 11:07:40 pm by highside » Logged
servicerifle
Junior Post-Ho

Reputation -25

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 2867

My Photo Gallery

I DO MY OWN STUNTS!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 11:45:38 pm »

I'm going to withhold my comments about the above post.

The "High Tec" and similar brands are better than tennis shoes, and probably ok for the noob, but I don't think they're worth your money considering you say you scrape your pegs on occasion.  I assumed you had real riding boots by now, don't you?  If not, how about the Daytona Lady Stars?  Yeah, I know they're expensive.
highside

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 11:49:17 pm »

The "High Tec" and similar brands are better than tennis shoes, and probably ok for the noob

Better than tennis shoes, yes. I don't really understand the "ok for noobs" sentiment though. Are new riders LESS likely to crash and hurt themselves than experienced riders? That seems a little counterintuitive to me. If anyone needs top notch gear it is people that don't really know what they are doing.
servicerifle
Junior Post-Ho

Reputation -25

My Photo Gallery

I DO MY OWN STUNTS!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 12:42:38 am »

Speeds are slower, and the chances of a "catastrophic" accident are hopefully lower, as they are usually having most problems in a parking lot, rather than in an 80 mph sweeper.  Just my opinion.
FuturaPilot

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 03:48:40 am »

I really, really like my SIDI Canyon, now with Gore-Tex!  Got them here:

http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=5662449.81798&pid=3528&product=Sidi&count=1

Might be able to find them cheaper on the net but this guy is great to deal with, even though it says Sympatex they are now Gore-Tex.
JCIII
jschmidt

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 07:33:33 am »

It was not meant to be condescending.

All but one of the posts that preceded mine were either bad advice, or childish crotchsniffing. I provide an actual answere to your question complete with my reasoning and real world experience, all the while treating you like an adult, and that's the post that you complain about being condescending. I'll bear that in mind should you ask another question for which I have valid advice.

You can afford a motorcycle, you have pre-existing injuries to both of your ankles, an expressed concern for re-injuring them, you belong (and have belonged for some time) to a forum that has *ample* available information regarding equipment, and then you ask if a $50 pair of combat boots is suitable gear. My mother did say that there is no such thing as a stupid question but then again she lied about the Easter Bunny (he does NOT lay the lay the chocolate eggs himself).
But you didn't mean to be condescending, right?  Headscratch

Stef: A nice heavy pair of boots will give you 80% of motorcycle specific boots when it comes to protection. Read up on some of the features of motorcycle boots at newenough.com and look for boots that seem to address those features in some way. The things to watch out for if you're going generic are:
1. Tall toe boxes (or steel toe boxes) that make it hard to get under this shifter.
2. Boots that are not flexible enough at the ankle.
3. 3/4 boots that have an ankle cutout instead of ankle coverage.
4. Laces that are likely to foul on anything.

Our not-condescending friend is right about one thing; nothing beats motorcycle boots for riding. It's good to know, though, that most everything -- except for maybe ski boots and ice skates -- beats them for walking.

Me? I thought it was a good question. When I'm riding, I wear motorcycle specific boots. When I'm riding to teach a riding class, I wear boots that provide adequate protection and still allow me to walk the seven parking-lot miles that the class requires.

And no, you can't get those at Victoria's Secret. You have to go to The Crazy Russian's Tactical Bazaar and Swap Meet.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 07:42:27 am by jschmidt » Logged
stefrrr

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 09:45:28 am »

The "High Tec" and similar brands are better than tennis shoes, and probably ok for the noob, but I don't think they're worth your money considering you say you scrape your pegs on occasion.  I assumed you had real riding boots by now, don't you?  If not, how about the Daytona Lady Stars?  Yeah, I know they're expensive.

I haven't gotten "real" boots yet for a couple of reasons - most motorcycle boots I can't actually get my foot into because of weakened ankles. I also have a high instep which makes the ones I can literally painful. I've been wearing leather work boots but I would like something better. If a boot is going to zip, the zipper absolutely must angle forward, otherwise I won't be able to get my foot into it.
I've kind of been looking at lace-ups because I don't have to try to insert my foot into a barely-big enough space, plus they have a more adjustable fit than a solid piece of stiff leather. Alpinestars makes a pair that lace up with a flap that covers the laces. They look almost exactly like the "tactical" boots.  Shrug
I like the looks of them, and laces are a big plus for the reasons I mentioned above.

Another complication is that the quality, features, and practicality of the majority of women's riding boots are not impressive, so I'm looking for men's boots that go down to european 39/wm8/mn6.

I'm also looking at Gaerne boots - some friends of mine rave about them. The dealership has agreed to order them just so that I have tried them on.

Oh, yeah - I'm a poor college student. I'm not paying more than $200.

Stef: A nice heavy pair of boots will give you 80% of motorcycle specific boots when it comes to protection. Read up on some of the features of motorcycle boots at newenough.com and look for boots that seem to address those features in some way. The things to watch out for if you're going generic are:
1. Tall toe boxes (or steel toe boxes) that make it hard to get under this shifter.
2. Boots that are not flexible enough at the ankle.
3. 3/4 boots that have an ankle cutout instead of ankle coverage.
4. Laces that are likely to foul on anything.

Our not-condescending friend is right about one thing; nothing beats motorcycle boots for riding. It's good to know, though, that most everything -- except for maybe ski boots and ice skates -- beats them for walking.

Me? I thought it was a good question. When I'm riding, I wear motorcycle specific boots. When I'm riding to teach a riding class, I wear boots that provide adequate protection and still allow me to walk the seven parking-lot miles that the class requires.

Thank you for the straightforward answer. I think that the boots that I was looking at are guilty of #3. I guess I'll just have to wait for the Gaernes to come in so I can try them out. I honestly can't remember which ones they were, but they zip up. I ordered them a few weeks ago, but I was kind of looking for a backup. I'd like to try on those alpinestars, but I live in the hills, and no place around here carries boots in stock. I've tried cycleworld, but they don't carry boots in the right size, unless they're womens, and I'm not impressed with most women's boots. Another brand I was looking at was Kochman - I tried on a pair at sherides in Suches, but I can't find them anywhere else, and they're not listed on their website any more.

Damn, I'm picky.  Embarassment

And no, you can't get those at Victoria's Secret. You have to go to The Crazy Russian's Tactical Bazaar and Swap Meet.  Wink

How do I get on the mailing list?  Lol
jschmidt

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 12:45:33 pm »

How do I get on the mailing list?  Lol
I asked Ivan and he asked Demetry who asked Sergey. Ivan said Demetry said that Sergey said, "If he tell her, you must kill him! Then you must kill her."

I thought about it... Sorry.  Shrug Wink
Vladimir
Land Shark

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08
Motorcycles: ZZR-1200
GPS: Tukwila, WA
Miles Typed: 1097

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 03:22:48 pm »

I haven't gotten "real" boots yet for a couple of reasons - most motorcycle boots I can't actually get my foot into because of weakened ankles. I also have a high instep which makes the ones I can literally painful. I've been wearing leather work boots but I would like something better. If a boot is going to zip, the zipper absolutely must angle forward, otherwise I won't be able to get my foot into it.

You might take a look at the Alpinestar "Ridge" motorcycle boot.  That's what I wear and despite a loss of flexibility in my right ankle after reconstructive surgery, I can get them on fairly easily. They go down to a Men's US size 6 and close up with velcro, not laces or zippers. New Enough currently has them for $109.95 with free shipping!

http://www.newenough.com/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/alpinestars/ridge_motorcycle_boots.html
jschmidt

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 07:40:24 pm »

Speaking of weak ankles, whenever I get a student with this problem -- even if they want a sportbike, I recommend they consider retrofitting a heel&toe shift lever. It solves a lot of problems.
servicerifle
Junior Post-Ho

Reputation -25

My Photo Gallery

I DO MY OWN STUNTS!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 07:56:06 pm »

She could go with forward controls, too.

Aw, hell, go all the way and get a "full dresser" which I think is kinda like saying a "chest of drawers?"

Bigsmile
jschmidt

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 08:01:41 pm »

She could go with forward controls, too.

Aw, hell, go all the way and get a "full dresser" which I think is kinda like saying a "chest of drawers?"

Bigsmile
You dog! Wink I'm reminded of when I was growing up and the people in my lower-middle class neighborhood who made light of my one-armed neighbor's steering wheel spinner.  Twofinger
BradleyRas
ZZR Pilot

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 02 Kawasaki ZZ-R1200
GPS: South Central PA- LoPaxTwp
Miles Typed: 691

My Photo Gallery

Is it time to ride yet?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 08:52:40 pm »

I have a pair of 'tactical' Herman Survivor Commander boots from WalyWurld $50 that worked really well for about 2 weeks.  
I would stay away from Hermies..

Quoted from Trailspace.com
"As of November 2000, the Herman Survivors footwear brand (formerly Herman Survivors, Inc.) is under exclusive control of Wal-Mart. Herman Survivors boots sales and customer service are available only from Wal-Mart. Please contact Wal-Mart for all customer service (see contact info on this page).

The Herman Survivor boots being sold by Wal-Mart do not appear to have the durability and quality construction that were hallmarks of the original Herman Survivors."

This is a ZZR-1200, there are many like it, but this one is mine!
Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 05:14:14 am »

I have a pair of Bates Men's Defender boots, 8" gore tex, Thinsulate,etc.  I got mine at www.copshoes.com.  Slightly irregular but I can't see the imperfection.  I bought them for work but now are strictly my riding boots.  They are very comfortable after broken in.  

mastros2.wordpress.com
stefrrr

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 08:42:15 am »

You might take a look at the Alpinestar "Ridge" motorcycle boot.  That's what I wear and despite a loss of flexibility in my right ankle after reconstructive surgery, I can get them on fairly easily. They go down to a Men's US size 6 and close up with velcro, not laces or zippers. New Enough currently has them for $109.95 with free shipping!

http://www.newenough.com/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/alpinestars/ridge_motorcycle_boots.html

I had looked at those on the website - I like the looks of them. Thanks! I'll probably order those if the Gaerne's don't work out.
Yankee Dog

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 12 Tiger 800 ..................... 05.Ural.GearUp ........................................ 05.BMW.F650GS
GPS: Decatur, AL
Miles Typed: 2398

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 08:45:19 am »

I am going to go against the grain here and say that motorcycle specific boots are not always better than other types of boots.  It depends completely on the type and style of each.  I used to wear army issue full leather combat boots.  I have seen brand name motorcycle boots with thinner leather than the combat boots and no better protection.  And if you cant figure out how to tuck your laces away so they dont tangle then maybe a motorcycle is a bit complicated for you as well.  

For example let me compare my Sidi On Roads which I wear now and the army issue full leather combat boots I used to wear.  The toe and heal protection on the combat boots is just as good as the Sidis.  The ankle "support" of the combat boots is much better than the Sidis.  As for ankle protection I would give the Sidis a slight edge.  They have better padding, but still no armor.  Oh, and by the way, the toes of the Sidis are just as large if not larger than the steel toes I wear at work.  

So why did I go with the Sidi.  I needed a coldweather boot.  The Sidis are warmer and way more waterproof.  

and the cool factor is much better.   Bigok

Yankee Dog
phoenix

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '10 CBR600RR
GPS: Ankeny IA
Miles Typed: 3994

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 10:05:16 am »

I wear a pair of these most of the time

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Diadora_Express_Boots--615353.html

They are comfortable to wear even off the bike all day long. Maybe they don't go up as high as you would like for ankle protection. Not 100% waterproof. The zipper goes far enough down that they are really easy to get into.

I've got a pair of Gaerne sport boots. They seem to be a cost reduced boot, as they don't have nearly enough padding in them to even make them comfortable for 10 minutes of walking. I get blisters pretty quick. And they can be a challenge to get into. Just my 2 cents.

NATIONAL 2003, 2004
EASTERN: 2003
REGION 4: 2005 WCRM: 2006, 2007 CENTRAL: 2007 ST.N trackday at Blackhawk Farms: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
stefrrr

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 07:36:14 pm »

I wear a pair of these most of the time

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Diadora_Express_Boots--615353.html

They are comfortable to wear even off the bike all day long. Maybe they don't go up as high as you would like for ankle protection. Not 100% waterproof. The zipper goes far enough down that they are really easy to get into.

I've got a pair of Gaerne sport boots. They seem to be a cost reduced boot, as they don't have nearly enough padding in them to even make them comfortable for 10 minutes of walking. I get blisters pretty quick. And they can be a challenge to get into. Just my 2 cents.

They only come in 7.  Sad They look really nice though - I like the zipper going right down the front.  Thumbsup

The guys at the dealer love their Gaerne boots, so I hope that they're as good as they say. If not, keep the suggestions coming everyone!
stefrrr

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 07:38:31 pm »

How about these? I've had a fieldsheer jacket that I loved, and one that was sub-par.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/FieldSheer_Ace_Boots--506198.html

These lace-up boots by setup look like they have good support, but look kind of low.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Set_Up_Urban_Black_Boots--605022.html

(thanks to phoenix for the link to the site with a huge variety of boots!)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 07:40:35 pm by stefrrr » Logged
REAPER

Reputation -3

Motorcycles: FJR1300
GPS: Southaven, MS
Miles Typed: 256

My Photo Gallery

If your friends don’t ride, you need new friends!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 08:03:26 pm »

I like the fieldsheers, if they will work with your high instep. Bigok

IBA # 18877
MSTA # 13066
You're where you are today because of the choices YOU made in the past so don't blame anyone else!
stefrrr

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 08:10:52 pm »

Oh - they have a low instep?

Dammit.  Angry3

Those Alpinestars Ridge boots are looking better every freakin minute.
Clive

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: Between bikes, hopefully.
GPS: North Carolina
Miles Typed: 803

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 08:42:42 pm »

If you must use non-motorcycle-specific boots:

I remembered from my starving student days that I used to get steel-toed work boots from Sears.  When they stopped carrying the model I loved, I bought a poor substitute that had laces all the way up (high top) but not as high as moto boots).  Took them to a shoe repair place and had the top half of the laces replaced with a Velcro-backed leather flap.  I could slide into them like lace boots, but the laces only went to the top of the ankle and then were concealed under the flap.  Large swath of Velcro, so that sucker held securely.

Used to get away for $50 or so, repairs included.
Mac
Yeehaw, Texas!!

Reputation 40

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: none
GPS: Dallas, Tx.
Miles Typed: 7823

My Photo Gallery

I just got out of a prison

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 10:50:53 pm »

Aren't tactical, assault boots banned in Ca?

Derp derp derp.
Woodys Euphemisms

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07
Miles Typed: 305

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 02:46:38 am »

Icon bombshells.  Hubba hubba.   Lol

Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 02:57:13 am »

Aren't tactical, assault boots banned in Ca?

Only if they'e over 10" high. Rolleyes
If I wanted non m/c boots I'd wear these, but they cost more than $50.

http://www.uspatriotstore.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=975

Ride em if ya got em...
R.Markus

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 09:39:28 am »

I've had a pair of the Corcoran boots. They are nice, but for riding I would get a pair of Danner Acadia boots. The leather is thicker/stiffer and the overall quality seems much better...of course, they cost twice as much.
forester
My money grows on trees.

Reputation -16

Motorcycles: 2006 Suzuki DL650 V-strom
GPS: Cold side of conus
Miles Typed: 2686

My Photo Gallery

06' 'strom: world's bestest bike.

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 10:13:50 am »

I've had a pair of the Corcoran boots. They are nice, but for riding I would get a pair of Danner Acadia boots. The leather is thicker/stiffer and the overall quality seems much better...of course, they cost twice as much.

Thumbsup Quality!  Good boots for hard use don't typically say "tactical".  The guys who use these boots (and yes, I am one of them) don't buy "tactical" boots - we buy quality boots that we know have a solid function.

Among about 4 or 5 pairs of other quality boots, I have two pairs of Danners.  I love 'em.  One pair is 10 years old and has been resoled twice (once by Danner) and I still wear that pair often (my favorite "do everything" footwear actually).  The other is polished up so much you can nearly see your reflection in them and that pair (Danner explorers) I wear with nice clothes for semi-formal events.  They look like the nicest dress shoes you could buy and probably cost equivalent.

A couple of years ago, I bought a pair of Cabela's black stitchdown constructed boots - similar to the Danner construction.  Heavy leather, very good stitching, solid materials, vibram sierra soles (just like the G.I. spec danners), but made in China.  I think I bought them for $99.00.  I am very surprised how good these boots are.  I hate to say it, but they are actually every bit equivalent to Danners.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005297811337a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=duty+boots&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=duty+boots&noImage=0

Those are what I ride in.  I can not see any improvement in "motorcycle" boots that justifies a higher expenditure - with the exception being high-level sidis, etc. that have plastic armor on the exterior of the leather - that armor would be more protective - but the trade off is looking like you're going for a stroll on the GP circuit.  Not for me, thanks.  Lol

For a forester, EVERY day is Earth day.
               SCHADENFREUDE!. Beerchug
jschmidt

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 02:31:21 pm »

Boots are not a tactic; they're a footwear.  Lol
BradleyRas
ZZR Pilot

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 02 Kawasaki ZZ-R1200
GPS: South Central PA- LoPaxTwp
Miles Typed: 691

My Photo Gallery

Is it time to ride yet?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 02:44:42 pm »

Boots are not a tactic; they're a footwear.  Lol

Oh geeze, that was so funny... wow... I'm still recovering.....   Razz

This is a ZZR-1200, there are many like it, but this one is mine!
jschmidt

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2007, 02:51:12 pm »

Oh geeze, that was so funny... wow... I'm still recovering.....   Razz
That's OK. I crack myself up quite enough for both of us. Bigsmile
stefrrr

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2007, 06:00:49 pm »

I ordered the Ridge boots by alpinestars today - they should be here on Thursday.  Thumbsup

I'll let you all know how they work out.
Mac
Yeehaw, Texas!!

Reputation 40

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: none
GPS: Dallas, Tx.
Miles Typed: 7823

My Photo Gallery

I just got out of a prison

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2007, 06:40:19 pm »

boots with laces make me nervous I'll get them hung on the pegs when I want to stop, but I do ride to work with my Magnum steel toe boots.
http://www.magnumboots.com/workboots/5966.html
They're the only steel toes I can wear over my broken toe without too much pain.

Derp derp derp.
Mastros2

Reputation 68

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple R
GPS: Central NJ
Miles Typed: 4146

My Photo Gallery

My daddy loves cookies

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2007, 10:53:43 pm »

Tuck in the laces inside the shoe.  It looks cleaner and is safer as well.  

I feel the same with laces hanging out and imo, looks sloppy in uniform.  Tuck in, feel safer and look good doing it!  

mastros2.wordpress.com
jadziadax8
nerd

Reputation 48

Motorcycles: 2007 Ninja 650
GPS: Too close to Ed for comfort ;-)
Miles Typed: 2849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2007, 06:42:53 pm »

I have some Tourmaster Solution boots.  They're great, though New Enough does mention they can be problematic for people with wide feet or high insteps.

She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting.
Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2007, 06:44:16 pm »

I have some Tourmaster Solution boots.  They're great, though New Enough does mention they can be problematic for people with wide feet or high insteps.

That's what I wear and I had to go up a size just to get them on!  Very comfy on and off the bike and a real bargain for waterproof touring boots at around a hundred bucks. Bigsmile

Ride em if ya got em...
stefrrr

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007, 06:50:16 pm »

I really like Tourmaster, but I tried them on at SheRides in Suches and it hurt.   Sad

By the way, did you see that Cortech made an LRX Air jacket?  Thumbsup  Thumbsup Now with mesh panels. I can't wait to get one!
jadziadax8
nerd

Reputation 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 10:37:49 am »

By the way, did you see that Cortech made an LRX Air jacket?  Thumbsup  Thumbsup Now with mesh panels. I can't wait to get one!

I've seen them and liked them, and if I didn't have a jacket, I'd buy one for all-purpose wear.  What I currently need is a pure mesh jacket, with maybe just a waterproof liner for if I get caught in the rain.  My current regular LRX jacket works just fine for all weathers up to about 80 degrees F.

She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting.
bandit-o

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2007, 11:24:19 am »

I ordered the Ridge boots by alpinestars today - they should be here on Thursday.  Thumbsup

I'll let you all know how they work out.

I've got the Ridge boots myself.  I've got wide feet and these fit perfectly for me (men's 11).  Don't expect to walk any kind of distance in them though.  They feel and even look like ski boots IMO.  I went to these from some basic Timberland boots and the difference is huge on the bike.  I had to adjust the height of my shifter and it took a few rides to get used to the boot.  There is a lack of feel and dexterity that I had on the Tim's.  But once I got used to them I can't imagine going to anything less.  They broke in fully after about two weeks.
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5189

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2007, 04:35:23 pm »

I  wear Bates  zip sides or Danners,been wearing those for many years,no issues great comfort and they hold up well.I feel as others have stated ,unless you get high end mc boots the run of the mill ones really aren't better than a good tactical boot.

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
stefrrr

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

New boots!

I wore my Ridge boots home, and it's really weird. I can't feel the ktnk of the shifter any more. I think that after getting a little used to them they'll be fine. I had no idea how nice the stiff sole would be. I can see that feature alone stretching out my mileage.   Thumbsup

I had some trouble getting them on, especially the left one (the most damage) but it's a lot better than any other zip boot I've tried.

The left foot is a little wide but hopefully after a little break-in I'll be able to strap them a little tighter.
jschmidt

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2007, 06:46:12 pm »

Crap, a happy ending.  Rolleyes

Beerchug
stefrrr

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2007, 03:23:44 pm »

Well, I adjusted the shift lever (ok, I didn't do it myself) and now it is perfect!

I had no idea that the stiff sole of the boot would be so great. My feet and ankles feel so much better. There's a little more vibration through the sole, but that's no big deal compared to how much easier and more comfortable it is to rest my feet on the pegs.

And because  NeedPics

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n306/stefrrr/boots.jpg

Kitty wanted to be in the picture, sorry.
jadziadax8
nerd

Reputation 48

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2007, 05:04:04 pm »

Kitty wanted to be in the picture, sorry.

She pretty.  I want a dilute calico!

Oh, yeah, and nice boots.  I'm glad to hear you found some comfy ones.

stefrrr

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2007, 05:16:08 pm »

She's a great cat. We found her on a ride when I pulled into a park to clean the love bugs off my visor. She rode an hour home in my jacket. She was about 6 weeks old and 1 lb, 4 0z. That was a year ago. We've found out since then that Ray is allergic, but we're trying to find ways to deal with it.

Oh, and the boots are Thumbsup Thumbsup
jschmidt

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2007, 05:25:24 pm »

She's a great cat. We found her on a ride when I pulled into a park to clean the love bugs off my visor. She rode an hour home in my jacket. She was about 6 weeks old and 1 lb, 4 0z. That was a year ago. We've found out since then that Ray is allergic, but we're trying to find ways to deal with it.

Oh, and the boots are Thumbsup Thumbsup
Yawn I liked you better when you didn't have boots.  Bigsmile
Walker
INTJ

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 1996 GPz 1100
GPS: Eastern Washington Desert
Miles Typed: 2598

My Photo Gallery

I'm talking scorched earth, motherf***er!

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2007, 06:02:11 pm »

OK, here's my take on them... You won't be happy with them and its a waste of money.  After having spent over 8 years in the Army, 6 of those in the Rangers, I've gone through more boots than I can remember.  I have used nearly all of my different type of GI boots for motorcycle riding, as I used to ride my bike to report to post every morning... and for many years after I got out I continued to wear them rather than buy motorcycle specific boots.

I've used everthing from basic issue 'leg' boots, to my corcoran jump boots, to jungle boots, cold weather Danners, and yes, the 'tactical' Hi Tec Magnums.  

The Hi Tecs were made for SF units to have a tennis shoe like boot that could be used for running long distance and be really quiet when used in both forrest and urban environments.  The Army banned their use many years ago, as they didn't even offer minimal protection against foot injuries.  They are really only little better, maybe worse, than a pair of nylon topped hiking boots.  I still own a pair or two of them, and I wear them around to go hunting and fishing on occasion, or maybe to mow the yard or work in the garden.  I've found the Hi Tec brand to be far supperior to the other brands, and in fact on of my favorite pairs of winter hunting boots is made by Hi Tec.  (Brown leather, highly waterproof and warm with really tough stitching and lace eyelets.)  But, like previously said, with use they really only last for about a year.

The best GI issue boots I've worn for riding was hands down, my Corcoran jump boots.  They had great ankle, toe and heal protection, were very comfortable, fairly waterproof when properly polished, and gave great feel when riding... gear shifts and braking.  The dissadvantage was having to lace them up, and they weren't that great in the cold, even with thick boot socks on.  Also, if you are still in the service, using them for riding will really scuff the polish.

Danner cold weather boots (Fort Lewis model) are nice and waterproof and warm, but have lousy feel on the gear shift and can be cumbersome.  They make great hunting boots though.  

The coldest my feet have every been was after getting caught in a summer downpour between Seattle and Ft. Lewis while wearing jungle boots.  I'll never make that mistake again.  I'd rather my feet were too hot than too cold.

So about 5 years ago I bought a pair of Alpinstar GPS boots.  I love them.  I got them for $150 on sale.  Perfect feel for riding, shifting and braking, CE approved protection, waterproof, and as it turns out, the most important feature for me is EASY ON and OFF.  A single zipper up the instep and velco.  I wear them every day to ride to work, and change into my office shoes when I get there.  So I take them on and off twice every work day.  In five years, they are just now starting to wear significantly.  I had a shoe repair place put new velcro on, and they should be good for another year.  I've ridden with them in blazing heat, huge downpours, and cold weather, and have never been dissatisfied with them.  

But that being said, I am looking for a new pair soon, as I don't like to completly wear out a pair before I get a new pair fully broken in.  I'm thinking Oxtar Matrix 2 Gortex boots from New Enough for $189, and hopefully I'm good for another 5 years.  Compare spending $50 on a new pair of those Sears boots every year to paying $200 on a pair of boots you'll really be happy with for riding and will last you a minimum of 5 years.  That's $40 per year for you mathematically challenged folks Wink

We'd just keep going, "Are we not men? We are Devo!" for like 25 minutes, directed at people in an aggressive enough manner that even the most peace-lovin' hippie wanted to throw fis
stefrrr

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2007, 10:42:37 pm »

So far I'm loving my first real motor-sickle boots. The big things I'm noticing about them are:
1. The stiff sole makes it easier to rest my feet on the pegs
2. The anti-slip or whatever makes touching down at stops really easy. I only have to toe down.  Thumbsup
3. Shifting was weird at first, but with a shifter adjustment, fine.

I got some coolmax blend socks, and my feet have not overheated at all. I rode about 150 miles yesterday to the Leesburg Bikefest (another story) and had no issues with heat. I did go the cheap route - pack of 6 coolmax crews at sears for about $7 with my employee discount.  Thumbsup Thumbsup

I also bought some memory foam/gel insoles and now the left foot fits better. The right foot is a little squished. However vibration is now completely non-existent. Really nice. I just have to figure out how to liberate my right foot.  Headscratch
Beach Boy
Invisible man on the run

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06
Miles Typed: 136

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2007, 05:11:15 am »

stefrrr,

I'm late on this and congratulations on your new boots.  I'm not sure if they would have had teh size that you need, but I had and recently sold a set of Motophoria Vortex boots.  These opened on boot sides of the shaft for ease of getting foot in and out.
You may wish to keep in mind or future purchase.

http://www.motophoria.com/Catalog/product.php?StyleCode=M13002&Category=Boots

I move on like a sinners prayer, letting go like a levee breaks...walk away as if I don't care, learn to shoulder my mistakes...
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal