Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Power Bank Backup External Battery Pack Portable USB Charger  (Read 3014 times)

Swagfu

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA
GPS: Deland, Fl
Miles Typed: 237

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:12:08 pm »

Anyone ever use one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2200mAh-Mini-Power-Bank-Backup-External-Battery-Pack-Portable-USB-Charger-Cable-/190890203814?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Batteries&var=490178483552&hash=item2c71f15aa6

I was thinking this might be something to use on a trip instead of mounting something permanent. Are these rechargeable? Or is it a limited use item?
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:16:14 am »

They are rechargable.
I have one (something similar anyway).
Nice to have on a trip - or weekend where you just ride a lot.
Depending how critical it is for your trip, I wouldn't buy generic or ebay.  There is a very wide spectrum of quality of batteries, and the battery is the key component of these things.  Followed by the charging circuit.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Swagfu

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:32:17 am »

Thanks for the reply. I thought this would be good for any trip I took. I am planning a 10 day-3000 mile trip in May and was thinking this was easier and cheaper than hard wiring anything to the bike. (easier being the key for me).

So what would you suggest in this type of thing? Have a link to anything I should look at in particular? I did see one of these at my local dollar store for about 10 bucks.
Advertisement

JReazor

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2000 SV650, 2011 Sprint GT, 2007 C3
GPS: Drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
Miles Typed: 3319

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:01:28 pm »

Not as compact or as cheap but I have one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YRG5JQ/

It'll recharge my iPhone 5 or 6 times.
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 03:42:09 pm »

So what would you suggest in this type of thing? Have a link to anything I should look at in particular?

My suggestion is to go to Amazon.com and find them.  Then sort by user reviews.   Not saying that you have to buy it from Amazon, but their user reviews are pretty helpful.
For 10 days, you'll need to bring a charger that will re-charge the battery pak in your motel room.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
DfnsMn69

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 98 Valkyrie and 03 VFR
GPS: Hillsboro, OR
Miles Typed: 38

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:36:04 pm »

Not sure which phone you have but the battery in my Galaxy S4 is 2600mAh and the 2200mAh will only give me about 20% of a charge if the phone is powered up less if Im using BT and GPS.

I have a Goal Zero (http://www.goalzero.com/) solar charger (Nomad 7) and battery pack (Sherpa 50) that I keep in the map pocket of my tank bag. It can charge my phone 8-10 times from near dead to 80% while I'm using it and can be used to maintain battery level on the phone while I'm riding indefinitely as the charger keeps the battery pack charged even when my phone is plugged in (this is important as some do not. They will either charge the battery or re-charge your device not both)

I also have a really tiny one slightly thicker than my phone that has a 7200mAh battery that I picked up off of ebay. It's a nice little unit that I velcro to my side cowl on the VFR if Im not using my tank bag.

This is the cheap one I have (http://1sale.com/electronics/mobile-cell-phones/pl10765273/)
Swagfu

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 09:21:31 pm »

Thanks guys. I am really new to this technology Embarassment as I have never really had a use for it. I just got a smartphone last year and I know I don't use it to its full potential. But I do want to have my phone charged and my Sena while I am on my trip. I guess it's time to start learning something new. Wink
DfnsMn69

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 98 Valkyrie and 03 VFR
GPS: Hillsboro, OR
Miles Typed: 38

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 11:56:32 pm »

Hey Swag where are you located you don't have a GPS set on your profile. I bet there is a member thats close enough to ya to help with hard wiring a power port up for ya.
Swagfu

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 09:47:17 am »

Hey Swag where are you located you don't have a GPS set on your profile. I bet there is a member thats close enough to ya to help with hard wiring a power port up for ya.

I am in Deland Florida. About 30 minutes west of Daytona and about 30 minutes north of Orlando.
MidLifeMike

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: buh bye XS750, hello FJ1100
GPS: Where men are men and moose are nervous.
Miles Typed: 347

My Photo Gallery

1984 FJ1100

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 01:14:57 am »

OP - I'm not yet where I want to be on portable power, but I have learned as I go. Definitely start by getting someone to help you install on board outlets and be sure to verify the outlets provide the minimum power you'll need for your devices to simultaneously work and be restoring their battery, eg. 2200/2600 mAh as the others here suggest.

That's a hard lesson I learned - there are 12 volt to 5 volt USB outlets, that whether they are hard wired to the bike's battery or plug into cigarette lighter sockets, are so low in output, I never stood a chance of recharging my smartphone in the time I was riding. Better ones have the specs printed right on them. And to trust the specs, even better to go with a brand name.

I like to have the option of constant power so something can be recharging on the bike uninterrupted while I'm at a brief stopover.

The Sena is not going to be a problem running all day if you apply a wall charge in your room each night. The smartphone running its screen, bluetooth and music player to provide tunes to the Sena was my achilles heel on longer hauls.
Those little power blocks with internal batteries that can be wall charged and taken with you are great. Mine comes with me off the bike, along with a USB charging cable for topping up the phone when I am on foot for extended periods.

There are plenty of good people to be found. If you can't find one, then be one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal