Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Ducati: Why you no ST5?!?  (Read 10241 times)

Silverbird

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: '16 FJR1300 '07 919
GPS: Failville, CO
Miles Typed: 1625

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2014, 06:59:18 pm »

Came across this and just wish I could see myself looking pretty hard at a modern Ducati ST bike with an extended warranty.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4319230589.html
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph, Ducati, BMW
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4519

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 07:18:18 pm »

Damn... that's awesome! You should snatch that up. I would if I could! I'm curious as to why so little miles...

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
Silverbird

Reputation 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:57:17 pm »

Were they reliable?  Seems kinda like a gamble, would parts be expensive?
Advertisement

Volfy

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200
Miles Typed: 1081

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 02:07:13 pm »

I wish they would do an ST5 with the Testastretta engine, but I doubt it.  Between the MS and Diavel Strada, they have bracketed the touring segment pretty good.  Sure they are gonna let some potential customers fall through, but guys that buy "real" ST's are small potatoes compared to the Adv touring and cruiser crowds.

Hopefully bikes like the Ninja 1000 and S1000F will help change that.
GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 04:01:29 pm »

"Maintained per Ducati specs"... says the guy with a 10 year old bike with 2988 miles. Wow.

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it…
marc11

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09
Motorcycles: 14 R1200RT - 02 XR400r
GPS: Orange County, NY
Miles Typed: 2743

My Photo Gallery

I drank the Kool-Aid; it gave me the runs.

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:44:59 pm »

The 2004 and 2005 had an issue with the clusters going bad and Ducati replacing them, it would reset back to 0 miles. I know as my ST4s had it done and when I sold it I gave the new owner the proof of the work from the dealer showing the miles at the time of replacement. Not saying this bike has a new or working cluster just saying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

From the North East?  Check out: www.northeastsporttouring.com
flips21
Likes to Play With Blocks

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '04 Ducati ST3
GPS: Sonoma County, CA
Miles Typed: 307

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:21:43 pm »

30K on the clock and only two problems:  Loose battery connection and weak battery.

Parts are easy to find online and there is a strong following on www.ducati.ms for support.  

You want records showing that the belts have been changed in the last two years.

Love mine and not looking forward to replacing it.

Flip
GRN

Reputation 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 06:15:29 am »

Damn... that's awesome! You should snatch that up. I would if I could! I'm curious as to why so little miles...

Agree, on both. If I was within a days ride round trip of that I would go examine it for sure... I really wanted one when I bought my ST13 in '04, but reasonably close service was unobtanium where I lived at the time.

And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it…
Silverbird

Reputation 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:05:56 pm »

30K on the clock and only two problems:  Loose battery connection and weak battery.

Parts are easy to find online and there is a strong following on www.ducati.ms for support.  

You want records showing that the belts have been changed in the last two years.

Love mine and not looking forward to replacing it.

Flip

REALLY!?!?  That's sweet!  Got to be a catch though...what will maintenance cost?
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5796

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 11:03:02 pm »

This is the number one motorcycle I wish I wouldn't have sold.

But the price is higher than it'll sell for.  I would love if they'd make another ST series bike.  Drop in the engine direct from the new Hyper.  Plenty of power, torque, character.  Better valve intervals than any other ST series Duc.  The world's most comfortable stock ST seat, hard bags that aren't the Multistradas ( Bigsmile ) and sell it for $14,899
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 04:40:48 am »

This is the number one motorcycle I wish I wouldn't have sold.

I would love if they'd make another ST series bike.  Drop in the engine direct from the new Hyper.  Plenty of power, torque, character.  Better valve intervals than any other ST series Duc.  The world's most comfortable stock ST seat, hard bags that aren't the Multistradas ( Bigsmile ) and sell it for $14,899

Yes!
jfusaro

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2011 Ducat Multi Touring S Red
GPS: Western Ct.
Miles Typed: 416

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 07:54:47 am »

The 2004 and 2005 had an issue with the clusters going bad and Ducati replacing them, it would reset back to 0 miles. I know as my ST4s had it done and when I sold it I gave the new owner the proof of the work from the dealer showing the miles at the time of replacement. Not saying this bike has a new or working cluster just saying.

Exactly what he said
GRN

Reputation 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 09:03:54 am »

That coupled with mileage is reasonably questionable...  is there any way to drill down if this has a faulty cluster and has zero'd itself out, if it hasn't been replaced?

marc11

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 09:38:47 am »

That coupled with mileage is reasonably questionable...  is there any way to drill down if this has a faulty cluster and has zero'd itself out, if it hasn't been replaced?

It would stand to reason that a Ducati should be able to do a Vin check on preformed warranty work.

GRN

Reputation 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 11:02:51 am »

It would stand to reason that a Ducati should be able to do a Vin check on preformed warranty work.

Right, which is why I asked "is there any way to drill down... if it hasn't been replaced?" If it hasn't been replaced, there will be no record of warranty work performed. Is there any way to determine if a cluster is defective, and has zero'd itself, without first hand experience of the fault? Is the buyer in this case completely at the mercy of the sellers integrity?

marc11

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 08:01:59 am »

Right, which is why I asked "is there any way to drill down... if it hasn't been replaced?" If it hasn't been replaced, there will be no record of warranty work performed. Is there any way to determine if a cluster is defective, and has zero'd itself, without first hand experience of the fault? Is the buyer in this case completely at the mercy of the sellers integrity?

Not that I am aware of, no.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

flips21
Likes to Play With Blocks

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '04 Ducati ST3
GPS: Sonoma County, CA
Miles Typed: 307

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 12:40:26 am »

REALLY!?!?  That's sweet!  Got to be a catch though...what will maintenance cost?

I do my own.  The local dealer when under during the downturn and I let someone work on it once only to find they didn't know what they were doing.  Cost me about $800 to get the tools and shims.  I check the valves every 6,000 miles and do the belts every 12,000 miles.  Since I put about 6,000 on per year, it means I do the work once a year during the wet and cold time of the year.

SF Bay dealer cost is about $1250 for belts and valves.

Flip
st ryder

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 1287

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 09:07:05 pm »

Came across this and just wish I could see myself looking pretty hard at a modern Ducati ST bike with an extended warranty.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4319230589.html

That's a nice bike. If you want it, buy it and learn to live with it.

2004 ST3's are the only year of the dry clutch. They went wet in 2005. 2004's had issues with closer springs breaking, and ecus re fueling, and Ducati replaced both under warranty. Find out if those recalls/service bulletins items were done on that bike. The 2004 and 2005 ST3s had open loop injection so slip ons are just that...slip them on, no tuning issues. The instrument pods will condense moisture due to the way they're put together. Sealing them up a little better helps, but they will always condense some moisture.

9 years, 32 K miles...no major issues or break downs, just learning to live with it issues. If you want a ST bike that effuses, "space, grace and pace", the ST3 or any Ducati ST will work for you.  And they sound cool too, snarly like.

If you want a Ducati, you'll need to learn how to live with it...like any another bike and in that regard, my ST3 has been more reliable than most others I've had. It hasn't nickled and dimed me to death with weekly trips to the dealer for bit parts, nor have I had a major, expensive breakdown. Never had a problem getting parts either. So far anyway.

Re "special service" requirements of belt driven desmodromics: The last 7 years of ownership has cost me about 600.00 in belts, plus the usual things like plugs and filters and oil etc. plus my time and labour. I've done my own service after the warranty expired.  (I haven't purchased special tools/diagnostic programs yet, but I will someday) This year, I will replace the belts and check the shims again. The belts will last me 2 years, and my shims have stayed in spec for the past 10K miles or so, since the collets have been pounded down. Some riders have reported 18K without adjustments.

OTOH, if you're anxious about twisting a wrench, you can face your anxiety and understand there is a wealth of information and help out there to guide you through the ownership experience, or, if you don't like wrenching on bikes, and I'm not saying you have to be an ace mechanic, just somewhat competent, and you don't have deep pockets, walk away. Buy something "safe" from the big four, and be happy living with a boring, mundane, appliance like "wife" that will cost about the same if not more to maintain and repair, and will leave you looking at the sexy, pretty girls with bad reputations for the rest of your life...dreaming of getting some of that sweet ass.  Lol

Regards,

Frank,  2005 Ducati ST3(Red!) (Veni, Vedi,...Ducati!)
Aero
Italophile

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: '99 Ducati ST2
GPS: Was Ontario, now Gloucestershire, UK
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 07:48:52 am »

I recently found a replacement for my old Ducati ST2, another ST2! The only reason I sold the first one was because I moved to Canada for a few years but when I returned I started looking for another because there really isn't anything else like it. Comfortable enough for a 3000 mile return trip to Budapest, very reliable, 50 mpg, removable panniers, great handling and brakes, what's not to like? And of course the wonderful Ducati soundtrack! Also, it is still fairly light weight, not at all lardy like some alternatives.

I didn't find it expensive to run, I changed the belts myself, it only took an hour or so and the 6000 mile interval is overly cautious. I changed mine at 10,000 miles. Had the valve clearances checked just once after the first major service, just two needed adjusting. I had the throttle bodies checked at the same time, and apart from oil changes which I did myself that was all the attention the ST2 needed in over 20,000 miles. Oh, and the generator light came on once, causing some consternation until I was told that it was just a diode which controls the light and not the alternator itself so could be ignored, which was the course of (in)action I chose. A major service on a VFR isn't exactly cheap, which is why you see a lot for sale just before a major service is due.

I have noticed the used prices creeping up for Ducati ST's, I think people are realising what a good balance between sport and touring they offer. I too wish Ducati would make another proper ST rather than say as they do 'Ducati don't do touring bikes, just sporting bikes'  yet turn out versions of other models from Diavel to Hyperstrada and Monster with touring accessories. I don't want one of those, I want a new ST! Bigok

You should not anthropomorphize machines. They don't like it.Cool
Confucius says:
"Forget about the past, you cannot change it. Forget about the future, you cannot predict it. Forget about the present, I didn't get you one."
karlfitt

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2004 BMW R 1100 S, 2016 R 1200 RS, 2001 Kawasaki KLX 300, 2004 KTM 400 RXC, 1999 Ducati 900 SS
GPS: Colorado
Miles Typed: 399

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 06:54:28 pm »

No ST5 because Yamaha owns the patent on 5 valve heads.

Oh,

Maybe you were just wondering why no ST at all.

I think they are also going wrong with all these wet clutches.

<P>
"Loud Clutches save lives"
http://karlsgarage.com/pictures/states.jpg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal