Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Finally! New Bike Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 9530 times)

Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 377

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2014, 12:12:31 pm »

So, I finally dove in and bought a new (to me) bike.  Thumbsup  I had been looking for quite a while for a clean, unmolested, never-been-dropped sportbike that would be within my budget (under $5G). Having failed to find such an elusive creature for a solid 6mo I decided to travel a different path. I returned to the bike that I had owned a couple time before (3 if you count the one I bought as an unfinished project and put back together and sold for a profit), to a bike that, for various reasons, had always pulled at my heartstrings, one that had that special “something” that no other bike on the planet could duplicate. I bought another Buell.  Bigsmile

This time around I purchased an 05 XB12R (my second of that exact model) for WAY under budget. The idea being that I would put a little money into this bike and the rest would go into getting my 69 Mustang project back on the road. The project that had taken a back seat to kids, moving, and various expenses for FAR too long.  

One ride the Sat. I brought it home had me grinning ear to ear and wondering why in the world I ever got rid of my Buells to start with.  Headscratch  There is just a certain magic there that I have yet to find in another bike. Sure it’s quirky, not as fast as other ‘true’ sportbikes, and it shakes at idle like it’s having a seizure  Lol , but it has a certain ‘character’ (soul, some would say) that is so unique that if you were to sit on one blindfolded and thumb the starter button, you’d know IMMEDIATELY what bike you were on. I’m hoping to keep this one for the long haul as I’ve been trading around and ‘sampling all the flavors’ for long enough to realize that ‘Buell” is a flavor that I enjoy.

Sorry for the crappy pic (it’s from the p.o.). It’s the only one I have as the bike is currently COVERED in mud/dirt splashes from my Sat ride (melting snow and road crud sure do make a mess of things!)
**just realized that the pic doesn't show up unless you're logged in. I promise, there really is one there!  Lol
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:59:48 pm by Rattlehead » Logged

insert witty saying here.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Flyer
Just put me back up on the bike.

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: Ducati MTS1200ST. Cycles: Masi Tre Volumetrica "Lampo Bianco", Kona NuNu "The Slug", Colnago C50 "La Spada di Cambiago", Kona Jake the Snake.
GPS: "O Canada, We Stand On Cars and Freeze"
Miles Typed: 6858

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 12:38:58 pm »

Bigok
Hey Mister! NICE Harley!

“Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it".   Flannery O'Connor.
Chronic
Curvemiester

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '14 KTM 1190 Adventure,'14 Moto Guzzi Griso, '02 Moto Guzzi "Scura"
GPS: Visalia, Central Cali.
Miles Typed: 472

My Photo Gallery

Gonzo Motorcyclist

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 06:02:46 pm »

One ride the Sat. I brought it home had me grinning ear to ear and wondering why in the world I ever got rid of my Buells to start with.  Headscratch  There is just a certain magic there that I have yet to find in another bike. Sure it’s quirky, not as fast as other ‘true’ sportbikes, and it shakes at idle like it’s having a seizure  Lol , but it has a certain ‘character’ (soul, some would say) that is so unique that if you were to sit on one blindfolded and thumb the starter button, you’d know IMMEDIATELY what bike you were on. I’m hoping to keep this one for the long haul as I’ve been trading around and ‘sampling all the flavors’ for long enough to realize that ‘Buell” is a flavor that I enjoy.

WORD!!  Having had various Guzzi's, so, I know of which you speak.  It's not a "fast" bike, but, it's a bike that can  be ridden  fast, eh?  Especially in tight twisties.   That torque delivery is perfect for a tight moutain road, right??
 Always liked that particluar model Thumbsup
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:56:47 pm by Chronic » Logged

The Spice must flow...
Advertisement

1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 06:30:50 pm »

Sweet! Congrats!

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 07:20:49 pm »

Congratulations.

Looks just like my '06.  Loved that bike (still do).  I miss mine a lot actually.  It was one of those bikes you just get on and ride, and ride, and ride.  Low, low maintenance.  Handled great.  Was a good light sport-tourer.  It's also a great bike you can add a few farkles to improve its overall performance.

Enjoy!   Thumbsup

Rogue
nater

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 11 Suzuki GSXR 750
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 761

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 08:31:28 pm »

New Bike Day is pretty much the best day of the year, isn't it?

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph, Ducati, BMW
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4519

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 09:07:54 pm »

Congratulations.

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 7785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 08:03:12 am »

Bigok
Hey Mister! NICE Harley!

Most Harley people would scoff at the rice burner pictured.  

Nice find. Those things are cool.  Thumbsup

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
nater

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 10:32:58 am »

Bigok
Hey Mister! NICE Harley!

That wasn't necessary and you know it.

This isn't a Harley any more than an MV Agusta is a Harley.  Both companies just happened to be owned by Harley at one time.  

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
1KPerDay
Ride to eat, eat to ride

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: Honda GL1800A, Harley XR1200, BMW R90/6
Miles Typed: 10830

My Photo Gallery

Arbiter of good taste

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 11:36:34 am »

Lighten up, Francis.  Rolleyes

Time is cruel. And so are bacon cheeseburgers.
X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
GPS: Tomball, TX
Miles Typed: 534

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 11:57:17 am »

Congrats and welcome back to the darkside.
wondering why in the world I ever got rid of my Buells to start with.  Headscratch  

I came full circle too.  Had 6 since '92.  While I enjoyed the R1100S & GS during the same ownership period and a Guzzi NTX and Ninja 1000 afterwards, I had to come back for #7.

Almost bought a local '99 S3T yesterday for $2500.  Someone "just" beat me to it.  I'd have given him cash last night and rode it home even with my jacked up spine.

I have zero interest in the new EBRs.  They'll never have what the old Sportster based lumps had.    

2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1
Rattlehead

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 12:17:59 pm »

WORD!!  Having had various Guzzi's, so, I know of which you speak.  It's not a "fast" bike, but, it's a bike that can  be ridden  fast, eh?  Especially in tight twisties.   That torque delivery is perfect for a tight moutain road, right??
 Always liked that particluar model Thumbsup

Never riddin a Guzzi, I suspect I would enjoy one though. I certainly wouldn't turn down the opportunity if it popped up.  Bigsmile
You are 100% correct though, the powerband is ideally suited for street riding, especially tight curvy roads. I rode my previous Firebolt on a trip and it was pure magic on the Dragon and the surrounding area.  Inlove

Pretty much like Christmas.  Bigsmile

Most Harley people would scoff at the rice burner pictured.  

Nice find. Those things are cool.  Thumbsup

Truly a tragedy that they (Harley) just never got behind Buell.
I always think of Buells as 'the Sportster perfected'  Inlove

Congrats and welcome back to the darkside.

I came full circle too.  Had 6 since '92.  While I enjoyed the R1100S & GS during the same ownership period and a Guzzi NTX and Ninja 1000 afterwards, I had to come back for #7.

Almost bought a local '99 S3T yesterday for $2500.  Someone "just" beat me to it.  I'd have given him cash last night and rode it home even with my jacked up spine.

I have zero interest in the new EBRs.  They'll never have what the old Sportster based lumps had.    

And my wife thinks I'm insane because I've owned 4.  Lol  They really do have something special, don't they?  Inlove

I, on the other hand, am EXCITED to see what EBR comes up with. I hope against hope that someday they'll take off and get into the relm of affordability for me. Even though there will never be another XB (let's face it, Harley will NEVER build anything like it), I get giddy at the though of an affordable American made sportbike. Given the proper financial ability I would have an 1190RX faster than you can say "wheelie monster"! Inlove
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:26:46 pm by Rattlehead » Logged

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 12:40:19 pm »

XB12R remains one of the most fun bikes I've ever test ridden.  Congrats and happy miles.
X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Christini 450E - 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - 2000 HD FXDX - 1999 Buell X1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 12:49:52 pm »

I, on the other hand, am EXCITED to see what EBR comes up with. I hope against hope that someday they'll take off and get into the relm of affordability for me. Even though there will never be another XB (let's face it, Harley will NEVER build anything like it), I get giddy at the though of an affordable American made sportbike. Given the proper financial ability I would have an 1190RX faster than you can say "wheelie monster"! Inlove

I probably should have stated that I'm not interested in buying what he has to offer right now.  Of course I'm excited about his new bikes, but not to own.  I prefer the power delivery of an older style Super-sport over a race replica as well as the ergos.  It's just more useful and satisfying IMO.  EBR is trying to fit in with the Panigale and the bike is too narrowly focused.  I'm getting older, I know.  But how many 21 year olds wearing Icon gear can afford $18k?  Erik will have to pull out of WSBK because he won't meet homologation numbers.

nater

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 12:59:46 pm »

Lighten up, Francis.  Rolleyes

You wouldn't want someone making fun of your bike choices...

X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 01:10:30 pm »

You wouldn't want someone making fun of your bike choices...

It was stereotypically funny and expected.  People who buy Buells have a thick enough spine and enough of a historical-reliability-performance sense of humor to not be offended.  It's like being Polish and listening to countless Polack jokes.  

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 01:55:14 pm »

Word!    Bigok

Congratulations.  Those are cool bikes.   Inlove   Beerchug

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
nater

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 03:37:00 pm »

It was stereotypically funny and expected.  People who buy Buells have a thick enough spine and enough of a historical-reliability-performance sense of humor to not be offended.  It's like being Polish and listening to countless Polack jokes.  

I guess I misunderstood.  

Rattlehead

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 06:01:33 pm »

Riding a Buell does pretty much require thick skin. Most people just don't understand them.
The worshipers of the parent company (Harley Davidson) don't get it.
The worshipers of all things high tech don't get it
The worshipers of hp/speed/spec-sheet racing don't get it.
The people who don't try to compare them to supersports or the latest technological marvel usually understand why there is some appeal in a tractor motor mounted in an very unconventional chassis. Of course, that's like 5% of the motorcycle community....on a good day.  Lol

BTW, I was not at all offended by anything said in this post. The ribbing is all in good fun and is part of the charm of owning an odd-ball bike.  Bigok

X1Glider
Soil Sampler

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 07:03:40 pm »

I'm sure Ural owners get it worse from the peanut gallery.

They deserve it tho. Bigsmile

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal