Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2015 Indian Scout  (Read 21697 times)

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, ‘08 Ulysses, '07 Norge , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1137

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2014, 03:13:29 pm »

It's actually more complicated than that. It's the Buell heads, cams, flywheel etc. There are even better exhausts than the Buell setup, and open filters can beat air box. Depends on what you want...definitely wouldn't lose power. I kind of know what I am doing...lol
 The early Buell were basically stock Sportster engines but they evolved into a much more modified and better engine as the years went by.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:23:37 pm by motrhead » Logged

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Tpoppa

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: VFR1200, CB500X
Miles Typed: 552

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2014, 03:17:47 pm »

Open filters would lose low and midrange on a Buell, which was the best part of those motors.

I can be found on any twisty backroad in SE OH or WV.
st ryder

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 1287

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2014, 03:21:54 pm »

I don't know much about it but, from just looking at the picture, the bodywork, seat etc just seems a lot more integrated than any Harley I've seen.

Lovely saddle color.

The bike looks sharp  Thumbsup

Except for the side stand that is.  Hurl

Best parts of that bike are the engine and the accessory choices. I'm not crazy about the frame/ground clearance. Hope the crank cases can take a pounding. I don't see any protection from bumps underneath, and that frame looks like it will flex since it really has no back bone, and those forks look like spaghetti especially against that wide front section tire.

I hope they put that engine to better use.   Smile

Regards,

Frank,  2005 Ducati ST3(Red!) (Veni, Vedi,...Ducati!)
Advertisement

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, ‘08 Ulysses, '07 Norge , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1137

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2014, 03:26:23 pm »

Open filters would lose low and midrange on a Buell, which was the best part of those motors.

I agree, but I wouldn't lose hp putting it in a Sporty, just tractability...still would make an awesome Sportster, and in the XR1200 would kick some Scout butt.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
st ryder

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2014, 03:34:25 pm »

I have to wonder if Victory's line of cruisers will have run it's course 5 years from now and Indian will take over their cruiser market.  After all, even though Victory bikes are pretty good, they're not getting the market share that Polaris is looking for....  

You mean Victorys aren't winning?  Wink Lame name if they're not. Smile

Perhaps the Victory brand will be transformed into sport and standard motorcycles in the future.  It's a pretty cool name for a sport bike.  Polaris breaking into this market isn't far fetched, IMO.

See above. Smile

HD made 2 big "sport bike" mistakes: 1) they stopped the VR 1000 superbike project; 2) they sold MV Augusta back to the Castiglioni brothers for 1.00.

If HD had a real sportbike instead of the Buell compromise, they would have sold very well IMO.  They have as rich a racing pedigree as Indian et al other American brands, and have been in business for well over a century of uninterupted production. Best in the world/industry. Smile

Few things sound as good as a well tuned HD Big Twin coming on the pipe!!! Smile

Regards,

Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2014, 04:34:02 pm »

If HD had a real sportbike instead of the Buell compromise, they would have sold very well IMO.  

By "Buell comprimise" do you mean air cooled Buells?  You know Erik Buell never wanted to build air cooled bikes that was HD's decision.  The V Rod motor was a Buell project (based on the VR1000 motor) until HD took it over.

And speaking of the VR1000, that was the probably worst run race program to ever circulate around a track.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/vr1000_obit.htm

st ryder

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2014, 06:49:38 pm »

By "Buell comprimise" do you mean air cooled Buells?  You know Erik Buell never wanted to build air cooled bikes that was HD's decision.  The V Rod motor was a Buell project (based on the VR1000 motor) until HD took it over.

And speaking of the VR1000, that was the probably worst run race program to ever circulate around a track.
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/vr1000_obit.htm

And yet, unless you have 70+k, you probably can't buy a POS VR1000 these days.  Wink

Regards,

Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2014, 08:59:22 pm »

A misprinted dollar bill is also worth quite a bit.

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2014, 12:47:02 am »

If HD had a real sportbike instead of the Buell compromise, they would have sold very well IMO.  They have as rich a racing pedigree as Indian et al other American brands, and have been in business for well over a century of uninterupted production. Best in the world/industry. Smile

I also thought that naming a sports bike a "Buell" was a mistake, no disrespect for Eric Buell. It's just that the Harley black & orange racing pedigree loomed so large, it was just begging to be badged on a sport bike.

A missed opportunity for Harley.

st ryder

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2014, 03:43:19 am »

A misprinted dollar bill is also worth quite a bit.

So is a diamond.

So is a race horse.

So is a yacht.

Oh wait...we're talking about motorcycles...ryyyyyyyt.  Wink

Regards,

axelwik
Um... Okay

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 900ss, ST4s, 1200 Custom Sportster, R1200RT, DRZ400S
GPS: Albuquerque, NM
Miles Typed: 415

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2014, 12:31:57 pm »

I think they may have a winner on their hands with the Scout. I'm not so much into cruisers, but it looks interesting.

One of my buddies is going to manage the dealership being built here in Albuquerque, so I'm sure I'll get to ride one.

I had a friend who ran an Indian dealership in Oregon before Indian went bust ten years ago. I rode some of the Chiefs, but they were underpowered unless some work was done. I'm glad the new ones won't have that problem.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 12:35:23 pm by axelwik » Logged

"Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, & his many accomplishments - still owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil & the fact that it rains".... Anonym
DrMikey

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2003 R1150RT, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
GPS: SW Cheddar Country
Miles Typed: 871

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2014, 02:52:44 pm »

Have to admit, when I saw the first pictures, thoughts like "boxy", "wierd wheels", and "entry level" ran through my head.  I took a factory tour a few weeks ago where the Scouts were very visible. They look far better in person than on paper.  I will probably take one for a spin when the Madison dealer has a demo.  I'm not looking to replace my Vintage, nor my RT, but it would be fun to rev one of them on the backroads of western Dane County...
deagle10

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '09, '11
Motorcycles: 2014 FJR, 08 FJR (sold), 01 Shadow 1100, 04 FJR (sold), 2005 Yamaha Zuma (fun!)
GPS: Michigan
Miles Typed: 272

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2015, 02:56:37 pm »

Stopped at the Indian/Polaris dealership over the weekend.  
First, that dealership is nice.  Nicest I've seen (and I've been in plenty of nice HD ones on trips with friends).

Sales guy has all Scouts spoken for until June.  He is trying to get more, as he can't fill demand.  Not sure if it's true, but he said Indian outsold Victory in the their first year.  Maybe he meant their dealership, which I could see.  The Indians look fantastic in person.  

I have two friends that had CVO Harley's.  They were diehard HD guys.  They got so fed up with repairs to their expensive CVO's that they finally traded them in on new Indian Roadmasters (top of the line).  Supposedly bang for the buck was much better on the Indian.  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal