Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Summer trip from Houston to Canada  (Read 4914 times)

lucky1958

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: BMWK1600GT BMW R1100S
Miles Typed: 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2018, 09:06:32 am »

Have my routes and hotels all done but would love input of things along the route I might have missed.
Houston to Dumas TX
Dumas to salida CO
Salida CO to Green river UT
Green River UT to Salt Lake City
Salt Lake to Twin Falls ID
Twin Falls to Kalispell MT
Kalispell MT to Radium Hot springs Alberta
Radium to Jasper
Jasper to Banff
Banff To Great Falls MT
Great Falls to Red Loge MT
Red Lodge to Cody WY
Cody to Rock Springs WY
Rock Springs to Farmington NM
Farmington to Snyder TX
Snyder to Houston

Thanks
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

greench440
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: 05 FJR, 91 ZX-11 - SOLD!
GPS: Covington WA
Miles Typed: 3499

My Photo Gallery

What we have here is failure to communicate

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:10:38 am »

Change Salida to Green River to Salida to Rock Springs.  The hotel and restaurant options in Rock Springs are much better.

Twin Falls to Kalispell will be a very long day.  Count on at least 10 hours of riding, not including any stops for gas, food or sight seeing.  You will miss going through the Big Hole Valley.  Consider changing your route to Salt Lake to Hailey ID then Hailey to Kalispell.

Assuming your Red Lodge to Cody includes looping through Yellowstone.

Cody to Rock Springs - US 14/14A heading east from Cody to Lovell to Burgess Junction to Greybull is a great ride.

ATGATT - All the Garbage all the time
VFRide

Reputation 2

Miles Typed: 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 07:36:33 pm »

I assume that you are taking a straight shot  Kalispell to Radium on US 93 which becomes BC 95 in Canada.  Have not stayed in Radium but have in Fairmount Hot Springs just a bit south of Radium.  Nice place if a bit long in the tooth.  But lots of room to spread out. Radium always seemed cramped and busy when I've gone through  Be sure to have a soak at either of the hot springs which ever you end up.  From Radium to  Jasper, the BC 93 route (as opposed to staying on the 95) is more interesting. The route straight north from Radium to Golden (BC 95) is all valley bottom - comparatively flat and straight.  

You will have to do a bit of back-tracing your route Jasper - Banff.  But it can't be helped.  The alternate route through BC is too long and the one from Alberta too flat.  But, since Jasper - Banff will be a short day  you could take 93a as a side trip on your way back down and add Marmot Basin or Mt Edith Cavell as a twisties side road destination off of 93a.  Having said that , there are lots of interesting stops on the icefields hwy if you prefer a shorter saddle time day. Hope this helps.

Have my routes and hotels all done but would love input of things along the route I might have missed.
Houston to Dumas TX
Dumas to salida CO
Salida CO to Green river UT
Twin Falls to Kalispell MT
Kalispell MT to Radium Hot springs Alberta
Radium to Jasper
Jasper to Banff
Banff To Great Falls MT
Great Falls to Red Loge MT
Red Lodge to Cody WY
Cody to Rock Springs WY
Rock Springs to Farmington NM
Farmington to Snyder TX
Snyder to Houston

Thanks
Advertisement

David Morrow

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2003 FJR + 2016 FJR ES
GPS: Vancouver, B.C.
Miles Typed: 669

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:50:02 pm »

Well you sure have opened up a can of worms. I've never been to Texas, although I was within 30 miles once. But, I have ridden the rest of the area that you will plan to be in too many times to count. I'd get keyboarder's cramp if I poured it all out but here are some ideas :

Houston to Dumas TX : You have my sympathies but there is penance to be paid for the privilege of riding in Colorado

Dumas to salida CO : I would start by heading first to Taos, NM and then take 64 which will take you up to Chama, NM, then north to Pagosa Springs. Then either west through Durango or north through Creed to Gunnison. If you go through Durango almost any route to Bedrock, CO will be great. I love the route through Creed to Gunnison too.

Salida CO to Green river UT : If you can avoid the route to SLC and Twin Falls, I would head up through Grand Junction, CO and then Rangely, Vernal, UT, Dutch John & Flaming Gorge, Montpelier ID, Arco and then north.

Twin Falls to Kalispell MT : Consider going through Stanley ID and then west on Hwy 21 to McCall ID. Aim for Kooskia ID and then take Hwy 12 AKA Lolo Pass - one of the best bike roads in Idaho. Then you're lined up again for Kalispel but the extra miles are well worth it.

Kalispell MT to Radium Hot springs Alberta : Radium is in British Columbia

Radium to Jasper : nice but busy

Jasper to Banff

Banff To Great Falls MT : Go east from Banff and take Hwy 40 ( the Kananaskis route ) to 541 to Longview AB and then 22 south to Pincher Creek AB.

Great Falls to Red Loge MT : just east of GF go south on 89 to the interstate (yuk). At Columbia take 78 through Absarokee to Red Lodge.

Red Lodge to Cody WY : Presumably you're going over Bear Tooth and Chief Joseph to Cody.

Cody to Rock Springs WY : From Cody, one of my favourite roads in the U.S. is from Lovell ( which is NE from Cody ) on 14A via Burgess Jctn to Sheridans - huge sweeping switchbacks and hundred mile views on both ends of the pass. Stop at the top for coffee or a bite to eat; there are a couple of lodges.

Rock Springs to Farmington NM : if you didn't go through Rangely and Vernal on the way north, do it now and aim to go due south to Cortez, CO.

Farmington to Snyder TX
Snyder to Houston

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:59:54 pm by David Morrow » Logged

SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007), Smoke Chasing 15/15/15, SS1600K
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 08:13:49 am »

Just off the top of my head, Along with the aforementioned NM-64, I would throw in CO-141, UT-12 and the Going To The Sun Road  Smile

Biking Sailor

Reputation 70

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A Griso, an FJR, a Tenere 700 and my wife's FJ09 (she looks good riding it!)
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1068

My Photo Gallery

Fast and smooth, or you will be caught!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 06:35:07 pm »

Just off the top of my head, Along with the aforementioned NM-64, I would throw in CO-141, UT-12 and the Going To The Sun Road  Smile

Thumbsup

I've done CO 141 a few times, always N to S.  Something about that ride is just special, kind of desolate, one of my all time favorites.  I need to ride it S to N, maybe this summer.

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 06 KTM 640 Adventure.

Reputation 69

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6808

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 06:53:58 pm »

Did I miss what time of year?  
Also, as a Texan, I would suggest you use this translation app whilst in Canada ... video of its use in Alberta .... www.imgur.com/a/G6rU8
lucky1958

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 07:40:56 am »

Thanks for the great input.
I leave July 30th
I have most of the suggestions covered but will look at other alt routes
16 days on the road
Im ready to go now
micah2074
Letís go Brandon.

Reputation 53

Motorcycles: FJ-09, YZF600R, Nighthawk 700 S
Miles Typed: 109

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 08:33:16 am »

Im ready to go now

I know that feeling all to well. It usually starts the day after I get home from a trip.

Letís go Brandon.
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 266

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 2020 GSX-S1000
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 2898

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 11:21:06 am »

Mr. Lucky, I will throw in my two cents worth. From Dumas to Salida is 334 miles. Get out your map and seriously think about an alternate route. How about Dumas to Cimarron(places to see there but you don't have the time) then to Red River down to, almost, Taos to Hwy 64. Take 64 to Tierra Amarilla over the gorge bridge that we all saw in Wild Hogs. That road is one of my very favorite roads and you will have to stop several times to look at the scenery. Not sure what type of over night accommodations you are budgeted for but you can go up to Pagosa Springs in Colorado. That day trip is about 360 miles. Not far off from your previous plans but a much better trip.

Next day you can go over Wolf Creek Pass and on to Creede, through Lake City and over to Montrose and up to Green River. Or, leave PS and go West over to Durango and ride the Million Dollar Hwy up to Montrose. Much better than Salida to Green River. 360 miles as opposed to your planned 291 miles.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit, '17 KTM SD GT
David Morrow

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 01:08:48 pm »

If you do go the Pagosa Springs, CO, and if you like hot springs, stay at the Springs Resort & Spa. It's not the cheapest place in town but the hots springs pools are right on site and you don't have to pay extra for it like you would if you're not a guest. I stayed there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Easy walk to restaurants & shops.

SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007), Smoke Chasing 15/15/15, SS1600K
lucky1958

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 02:39:17 pm »

again thanks fro the great input
Im rethinking lots of days right now.
have to meet a friend in SLC and love Hwy 93 up to Kalispell but would like to try the roads suggested in ID
I have ridden Colorado many times and covered all those roads but origanaly goint to stay with friend in Canon City that changed so I need to redo Dumas to CO day
14a out of Cody is beautiful but we are headed down through Yellowstone and the Tetons  I have done both many times
There are so many great roads and so little time.
I really want to do some roads I have missed in California and some ive done I want to go again.
maybe September
I will post up changes as I make them
Thank you all again I love local knowledge
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, Ď08 Ulysses, '07 Norge , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 01:42:15 pm »

This is a great thread, which I will now be following, as there were a lot of great roads mentioned that I have yet to check out! We got a foot of snow overnight, so I am riding vicariously via the internet for a while yet, and planning spring rides...PMS is bad this year!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
David Morrow

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 08:40:23 pm »

A couple more thoughts completely unrelated to routing. I confess that for a while, I enjoyed watching the various border protection reality shows. What many Canadians seem to understand and take for granted, Americans seems to be a bit less aware of. Most of us live within 100 miles or so of the border so we tend to cross into the US more often than American cross into Canada.

- Do not bring firearms, legal, licenced, or otherwise unless you've done a lot of homework in advance. Especially hand guns. If you do, and declare it, you will likely get turned around. If you don't declare it and get caught, you will likely get arrested, have you gun seized, and then be turned around and banished from Canada for a year or more. You can assume that nobody in Canada is armed except the police although there will be the odd exception.

- Do not bring marijuana even if you have a prescription. While not officially legal, it is effectively legal in Canada. But, bringing it across the border will get you busted for smuggling.

- If you have a criminal conviction, including DUI, you will not be admitted to Canada. There are ways to have this dealt with but that can't be done at the border. I once met an Iron Butt rider at Canada Customs south of Vancouver at 2 AM to witness his arrival. He planned to cross and stay in Canada that night. It turned out that because of his unusual ride ( Border to Border ), he got a little extra scrutiny and they found that he had a black mark in his distant history and was denied admission to Canada. ( He did cross the border before arriving at Canada Customs so did officially complete his ride.)

- Don't bring any food - fresh or otherwise. I do admit to bringing a half eaten piece of beef jerky entering Canada one time and got a bit of a smirk for declaring it Smile And yes, I did offer him a bite...

- I don't think you need a passport to come into Canada but you will get some grief if you try to get back into the States without it. Make sure that it's up to date and won't expire while you're out of the States.

- Be prepared to be asked where you plan to go, for how long, and possibly what financial resources you have to support yourself while in Canada. Pretty much the same questions that we get going south. If you have a wad of cash, declare it; anything over $10,000 Cdn definitely needs to be declared. Answer the questions directly and clearly without a lot of fluff. You will generally find the Canada Customs people are far more conversational than the US customs. The US guards are pretty much all Androids and learn to speak staccato as part of their training. Listen very carefully because sometimes their voice inflections can make them a bit tough to understand exactly what they're asking.

- While you're waiting for the vehicle in front to clear the customs booth, take your helmet off and get your ID out. ( I put mine in my tank bag to keep it handy).

I'm sure there are more thoughts on the process but these are the most common.

birdrunner

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4862

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 09:48:35 pm »

....... Salida CO to Green river UT : If you can avoid the route to SLC and Twin Falls, I would head up through Grand Junction, CO and then Rangely, Vernal, UT, Dutch John & Flaming Gorge, Montpelier ID, Arco and then north.  

What he said,   x 100  Then head west through Salmon, Id and on to Missoula, Mt.    or .....

Twin Falls to Kalispell MT : Consider going through Stanley ID and then west on Hwy 21 to McCall ID. Aim for Kooskia ID and then take Hwy 12 AKA Lolo Pass - one of the best bike roads in Idaho. Then you're lined up again for Kalispel but the extra miles are well worth it.

Kalispell MT to Radium Hot springs Alberta : Radium is in British Columbia

Radium to Jasper : nice but busy

Jasper to Banff

Banff To Great Falls MT : Go east from Banff and take Hwy 40 ( the Kananaskis route ) to 541 to Longview AB and then 22 south to Pincher Creek AB.

Great Falls to Red Loge MT : just east of GF go south on 89 to the interstate (yuk). At Columbia take 78 through Absarokee to Red Lodge.

Red Lodge to Cody WY : Presumably you're going over Bear Tooth and Chief Joseph to Cody.

Cody to Rock Springs WY : From Cody, one of my favourite roads in the U.S. is from Lovell ( which is NE from Cody ) on 14A via Burgess Jctn to Sheridans - huge sweeping switchbacks and hundred mile views on both ends of the pass. Stop at the top for coffee or a bite to eat; there are a couple of lodges.

Rock Springs to Farmington NM : if you didn't go through Rangely and Vernal on the way north, do it now and aim to go due south to Cortez, CO.

Farmington to Snyder TX
Snyder to Houston

The Montana, Idaho and Alberta comments are pretty spot on.    Riding the Banff/Jasper Hwy is WORTH GOING BOTH WAYS,  the views a re totally different and certainly worth a double look.  

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
Canuck

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800, 72 Bonneville, 69 Royal Enfield Interceptor
GPS: Saskatchewan Canada
Miles Typed: 786

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 02:47:26 pm »

- I don't think you need a passport to come into Canada but you will get some grief if you try to get back into the States without it. Make sure that it's up to date and won't expire while you're out of the States.

I'm pretty certain you do need a passport now. At the very least, check it out if you don't have one yet.

"Just like the sky, the road never ends." R. L. Castleman, Gravity
micah2074
Letís go Brandon.

Reputation 53

Motorcycles: FJ-09, YZF600R, Nighthawk 700 S
Miles Typed: 109

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 03:04:59 pm »

I'm pretty certain you do need a passport now. At the very least, check it out if you don't have one yet.

X2
Last time we went into Canada we had to have one.

Letís go Brandon.
Canuck

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800, 72 Bonneville, 69 Royal Enfield Interceptor
GPS: Saskatchewan Canada
Miles Typed: 786

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 03:24:26 pm »

The more I think about this, the more I would suggest you at least consider dropping the Banff-Jasper and back portion in Canada. The scenery is stunning, but it will be unbelievably busy at that time of year and the curves are not all that exciting, especially when following multiple slow RVs and cars. Your time might be better spent going a bit farther west into the Canadian Kootenays, which is pretty much the best riding in Canada. From there you can cut back to Banff on the trans-Canada and then continue on with your planned route. That way you still get some of that amazing Banff and area scenery. You just miss out on the Jasper portion, unless you add a few days.

If you have any interest in considering this, I can always recommend a route, as can many others.

Good luck.

"Just like the sky, the road never ends." R. L. Castleman, Gravity
David Morrow

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 04:19:28 pm »

The more I think about this, the more I would suggest you at least consider dropping the Banff-Jasper and back portion in Canada. The scenery is stunning, but it will be unbelievably busy at that time of year and the curves are not all that exciting, especially when following multiple slow RVs and cars. Your time might be better spent going a bit farther west into the Canadian Kootenays, which is pretty much the best riding in Canada. From there you can cut back to Banff on the trans-Canada and then continue on with your planned route. That way you still get some of that amazing Banff and area scenery. You just miss out on the Jasper portion, unless you add a few days.

If you have any interest in considering this, I can always recommend a route, as can many others.

Good luck.

I would agree. I'd spend some time around Nelson & Kaslo. From there, the ride from via Vernon to Kamloops is really nice and the Hwy 5 to Valemount and then Jasper.

birdrunner

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4862

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 10:55:19 pm »

Good luck.

I doubt he's heading this way to find twisty highways.    But yes,  Banff and Jasper will be pretty busy then.  

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal