Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Nolan N-103 With N-Com and kudos to the Nolan importer; CIMA International  (Read 8616 times)

Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: '02 Triumph Trophy
Miles Typed: 2240

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:51:58 pm »

Just the beginning of what will probably be a long and dragged out report on my new lid. Last Saturday I bought myself the new Nolan
N-103 helmet and N-Com system to go with it. The N-Com system has two parts, the "Basic" kit and then there is the Bluetooth module. I got the combination that would allow me to have wired and wireless communications through a variety of devices, although not 2-way radios which I've discovered over the past few years is no real big deal.

I tried on the N-103 at the bike show here in Chicago, at the Nolan importer's booth. They were fully staffed by their highly qualified and friendly staff who I've been acquainted with for the past few years. These are some seriously nice and helpful people. Of course, the first thing I did was try on the lid to make sure of a good snug fit. Once I was happy with that, I told them what I wanted to be able to do regarding communications and music. It took them no time at all to show me the exact N-Com components I required for my uses .
All that and a choice- Did I want to put it in myself or did I want to leave it to them and they would ship me the helmet at no extra charge?

I left with my new lid and N-Com gear, looking forward to installing it myself.

The install went well, and upon testing the system I discovered that while the Bluetooth paired up with my Nokia N-95 perfectly for both phone and music, it appeared that the microphone was not functioning properly.

This morning I called the Nolan importer and spoke to one of their people, we began going through a troubleshooting procedure that in just a couple of minuted led to a small "U" shaped circuit jumper that I installed by mistake. Its only function was to be in place when the Bluetooth system was not installed.

All works well now and I'm waiting for my bike to come back from the shop so I can give the N-103 a proper road test.

Ya just whomp dat sucka right up da ol' schmegeggie.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

farmerjoe

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: R1100RT,K1200LT, KTM250xcf
GPS: North Idaho
Miles Typed: 16

My Photo Gallery

Farmers like it in the Dirt

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:49:25 pm »

Do you know if Nolan has the Stereo A2DP profile yet? I got  a pair of 102's last year, Bluetooth in mine and basic in the wife's. They are fine, but J&M, Chatterbox, and maybe others have newer bluetooth technology and did not really get an answer from Nolan if they are working on new systems. HF(handsfree) and HS(headset) seem to be just first generation compared to what is out there now.
Also, remember if your BT seems to quit working, the first thing to try is a "reboot" by removing the bluetooth module, then restart and pair up.
Good Luck with the new hat!

97R1100RT, 250xcf,K1200LT-perfect for travel with the wife
CDN
SirLoin

Reputation 12

GPS: Canadian Virgin Islands
Miles Typed: 1172

My Photo Gallery

Got Schnitzel?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 08:24:08 pm »

Do you know if Nolan has the Stereo A2DP profile yet?

From the Nolan N-Com page http://ncom.nolan.it/en/n-com/index.html
The N-Com® Blueetooth Kit2 system is equipped with Bluetooth  A2DP profile, which allows you to listen in high quality stereo to a Bluetooth device, telephone or MP3 player  fitted with A2DP.

Todd
STN V1.0 Member #336
 When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if not…mmmmm, boy!
Advertisement

Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 01:15:44 am »

Not only do they now have the A2DP, it works beautifully. Nolan's second generation N-Com has it (Bluetooth Kit 2). My helmet is paired up with my Nokia N95-3, which has recently replaced my Ipod classic as my commuter music player of choice. I have an 8-Gig Mini SDHC in the phone with some of my favorite cuts and while I have no idea how it will sounds once I'm out on the bike, just testing it after installation really impressed the hell out of me regarding the overall sound quality.

Thanks for the info on the "re-pairing"- I'll keep that in mind.

Now if the damned Chicago weather would only cooperate................

JETSET
FJR Pilot extraordinaire

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2000 Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa 2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 (R.I.P.) 2007 Yamaha FJR 1300
GPS: Central Jerzey
Miles Typed: 1106

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:21:11 am »

Thanks for the info.CIMA has one of the best customer service dept I have ever expierienced.

Life is all about ASS.You're either:
Kissing it,
Covering it, Busting it, Kicking it, laughing it off, Trying to get a piece of it, Or behaving like one!
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 07:56:25 am »

Thanks for the info.CIMA has one of the best customer service dept I have ever expierienced.
That they do.

Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 04:01:20 am »

Ok, so I've had my bike back for a couple of weeks and finally been out enough times to test the helmet.

So far, so good. I'm reserving full judgement on ventilation until we have a warm enough day that it will make a real difference but other than that the N-103 is an amazing helmet. It really seems like they took things to the next level in every way, especially comfort. For me the fit is the best I've ever had. Noise is minimal, due to my windshield- When I stand up in the wind, its eerily quiet- Much like a Schuberth C2 I got a chance to play with a few years ago.

The internal tinted visor is great as well. It comes down low enough that I forget its even there. No visual issues from my glasses and looking through two layers of plastic.

The Stereo N-Com system is also quite amazing. I'm still working out all the different ways to control my phone with it (My fault- The instructions are clear, my head is not) but the sound quality is amazing, phone and stereo Bluetooth. There are a few weird beeps I get now and then that I'm going to call CIMA (The Nolan Importer for those of you who dont know) for the few questions I have and I know they'll take care of things with their usual high quality service.

Positioning the mic in an effective but out of the way position took a few different tries but I was finally able to do.

Cant recall anything else for now- I'll report back as things progress.

CDN
SirLoin

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Got Schnitzel?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 01:15:39 am »

...For me the fit is the best I've ever had....

Your noggin round or oval aerodynamically enhanced like mine?  I've exclusively worn Arai Quantums because of the fit, but would like the convenience of flip up for working cycling/triathlon races and communications for trips with wifey.

Todd
STN V1.0 Member #336
 When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if not…mmmmm, boy!
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 05:16:55 am »

Your noggin round or oval aerodynamically enhanced like mine?  I've exclusively worn Arai Quantums because of the fit, but would like the convenience of flip up for working cycling/triathlon races and communications for trips with wifey.

I think the Quantum was an OK fit for me but its been a while since I tried one on. My previous Nolan was the X-Lite 1002 which was the only Nolan that fit me properly and the fit on the N-103 is even better. I think Arai would refer to my head shape as "Intermediate Oval".

CDN
SirLoin

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Got Schnitzel?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 12:30:41 pm »

I think the Quantum was an OK fit for me but its been a while since I tried one on. My previous Nolan was the X-Lite 1002 which was the only Nolan that fit me properly and the fit on the N-103 is even better. I think Arai would refer to my head shape as "Intermediate Oval".

Thanks.  I think I'm more 'Talladega Oval' but will have to try one on and see   Bigsmile

Todd
STN V1.0 Member #336
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 07:11:05 pm »

Thanks.  I think I'm more 'Talladega Oval' but will have to try one on and see   Bigsmile

I was at work when I read this and people looked at me funny when I just about busted a gut laughing so hard.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal