Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Help plan a trip through the plains  (Read 5747 times)

numist

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2008 SV650SF, 2008 SV650N, 2008 FZ6
Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2011, 10:09:43 pm »

Hey folks, planning on going on a camping trip with some friends in California, but I just moved to St Louis so I don't have the foggiest idea how to connect the two or where to stop each night.

I'd prefer to stay off the truck routes (wouldn't we all), and at night I'd prefer to camp, but I can hotel if there aren't really any options. Gas every 170 miles or (preferably) less.

The only other requirement of the journey west is that I arrive by September 3 so I'd like to keep it to a week or less, with no time limit on the return trip.

That's it. What are your favourite roads/campsites that could make up part (or whole) of a ride from St Louis, MO to (roughly) Johnsville, CA?

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

UHOH

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: C-14 Sport-tour
GPS: Washington State - the dry, east side
Miles Typed: 1177

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 11:04:53 pm »

I'd prefer to stay off the truck routes (wouldn't we all)

$.02 - you'll get better input, but that quote doesn't speak for me on the plains.  
Knowing traveling the plains by quite a few car trips (but no M/C), I'd stay on the freeways to minimize my riding time in the flatter and hotter plains.
I'd also consider starting west at 5AM while it's cool and the rising sun is behind me, and make Denver in 1.5 - 2 days - and then find fun.  

EDIT: With a week and traveling west in August I'd probably go WNW to Black Hills or Yellowstone, Idaho, maybe Oregon and then south to CA.   weather cooler usually.
When return later in September I'd do the southern Utah Parks areas, the Colorado passes: basically the mountainous SW.
sounds fun.  what bike?   long road trips eat up rear tires on many bikes, just saying.

and welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:45:51 pm by UHOH » Logged
numist

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 12:21:13 am »

$.02 - you'll get better input, but that quote doesn't speak for me on the plains.  
Knowing traveling the plains by quite a few car trips (but no M/C), I'd stay on the freeways to minimize my riding time in the flatter and hotter plains.
I'd also consider starting west at 5AM while it's cool and the rising sun is behind me, and make Denver in 1.5 - 2 days - and then find fun.  

Not a bad idea. I'll probably hustle through the plains, but I'd still rather stick to a US-# than an I-# in general.

EDIT: With a week and traveling west in August I'd probably go WNW to Black Hills or Yellowstone, Idaho, maybe Oregon and then south to CA.   weather cooler usually.
When return later in September I'd do the southern Utah Parks areas, the Colorado passes: basically the mountainous SW.
sounds fun.  what bike?   long road trips eat up rear tires on many bikes, just saying.

I'm on an SV650, and I'm expecting to need new tires shortly after I finish the trip, currently I've got dual compounds with ~4k miles. Under "normal" use that gives me 6k left. Fresh oil, pads, and a reasonably new chain and the wear parts are all accounted for, other than the rider  Lol

My current plan traveling west is US-50 other than US-6 in Utah (since it looks more fun). Almighty Google Maps says it should be four eight-hour days if I take it easy. Most of this planning is to see if I can't take advantage of some good roads on the way back east, and maybe get some good ideas for places to sleep in either direction.

and welcome to the forum.

heh, thanks.

Advertisement

Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6110

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:15:51 am »

I-70 across Kansas sucks. The speed limit is only 70 Mph, which is only 5 Mph higher than the speed limits on the secondary highways. For Kansas, I'd suggest avoiding 70 - you will see a lot more. You can pretty much take US50 all the way across Kansas and cross over in to CO and take 50 through the whole state as well. For Utah, if you are passing through, you need to get off the main drag and ride highway 24/12. It will not add a lot of time to your trip, and that's a must ride route - it will take you through a few national monuments/parks like Capital Reef, Grand Staircase/Escalante and Red Canyon. From there you can grab UT-14 which is a scenic byway and goes through Cedar Breaks NP over to Cedar City. It's a good day's ride, and you will be full of smiles at the scenery.

Google Map for UT route

What part of Cali are you going to?

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
numist

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 10:36:27 am »

I-70 across Kansas sucks. The speed limit is only 70 Mph, which is only 5 Mph higher than the speed limits on the secondary highways. For Kansas, I'd suggest avoiding 70 - you will see a lot more. You can pretty much take US50 all the way across Kansas and cross over in to CO and take 50 through the whole state as well. For Utah, if you are passing through, you need to get off the main drag and ride highway 24/12. It will not add a lot of time to your trip, and that's a must ride route - it will take you through a few national monuments/parks like Capital Reef, Grand Staircase/Escalante and Red Canyon. From there you can grab UT-14 which is a scenic byway and goes through Cedar Breaks NP over to Cedar City. It's a good day's ride, and you will be full of smiles at the scenery.

Google Map for UT route

That sounds like some great riding. Definitely going to factor that in. Unfortunately it looks like UT-12 does take me pretty far out of the way if I want to exit UT at/near US-50. Nevada is pretty sparse so I figured I'd just get the "I survived the loneliest road in America" certificate, taking US-50 the whole way through. this route looks fun, and "only" adds about four hours!

What part of Cali are you going to?

A plot of private land near Johnsville, CA. Closest metro area is probably Carson City, so it's reasonably north. If plans work out, I'll spend some time around sfbay. I'll bet I can find some pretty great rides around there, too  Bigsmile
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:51:39 am by numist » Logged

Daniel Kalal
It's pronounced Goot-see

Reputation 114

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Guzzi Daytona, Guzzi Stelvio
GPS: Kansas
Miles Typed: 1001

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 07:08:29 pm »

Quote from: UHOH
...I'd stay on the freeways to minimize my riding time in the flatter and hotter plains.

I'd recommend the opposite.  Taking the freeway will only show you the very worst of the plains states.  I wouldn't put a tire on them if at all avoidable.

Quote from: Justin
...The speed limit is only 70 Mph...

Actually, the posted speed limit is 75 mph, but I still wouldn't take it.

You can pretty much take US50 all the way across Kansas and cross over in to CO and take 50 through...

This wouldn't be bad.  There are several choices across  Kansas.  I'd prefer 36 and 160 over 50, but 50 would work well for your final goal.

Quote from: numist
...I figured I'd just get the "I survived the loneliest road in America" certificate...

Don't spend too much time collecting the points for this.  As you'll find out, it isn't all that lonely.  Really, that title is just one author's clever title for a magazine article.  Nothing more.

If you do take 50 across, you might want to read up on the route of the Lincoln Highway, the Pony Express and the California Trail.  You'll be following one or all of those off and on, and there's a lot to see if you know a little bit ahead of time.

Some of my nights along 50.  Do not think you need always find a campground (yes; that last one is a school yard).

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:21:08 pm by Daniel Kalal » Logged
bikerfish1100
Can't reMember

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2001 R1100S, 2016 R1200GS 3-Black, 1978 R100S BMW project bike
GPS: Northern Front Range, CO
Miles Typed: 1751

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:12:35 pm »

i've done both backroads and I-states across the western Great Plains. I-states suck, and backroads are mediocre, at best.
i am a big hater of I-states, but i am now of the solid opinion that the game plan is Just Do It!  
The stuff west of Denver is SO much better than the stuff east of it- just get there quick, and have done with the tedium. ya ain't missing much.
oh- US 50 thru CO is okay, but find the smaller, less direct paths- you're using the time you saved in MO and KS to elaborate in CO and UT!
numist

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 01:40:17 pm »

good advice (and good differing viewpoints) across the board.

the riding trip *to* California was recently cancelled, but I have a bike there that I now have the opportunity to ride back home. all is not lost!

Don't spend too much time collecting the points for this.  As you'll find out, it isn't all that lonely.  Really, that title is just one author's clever title for a magazine article.  Nothing more.

If you do take 50 across, you might want to read up on the route of the Lincoln Highway, the Pony Express and the California Trail.  You'll be following one or all of those off and on, and there's a lot to see if you know a little bit ahead of time.

Some of my nights along 50.  Do not think you need always find a campground (yes; that last one is a school yard).

I have to ask: what's the likelihood of being woken up by some angry landowners/LEOs while I'm camping on some random patch of land? It's certainly an appealing idea, but I'd never given it much thought since I figured it was a non-starter. What were the other spots you set up camp, just some open land somewhere near the highway?

Daniel Kalal
It's pronounced Goot-see

Reputation 114

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 02:04:52 pm »

what's the likelihood of being woken up by some angry landowners/LEOs while I'm camping on some random patch of land? It's certainly an appealing idea, but I'd never given it much thought since I figured it was a non-starter. What were the other spots you set up camp, just some open land somewhere near the highway?

It may not be zero (what is?) but it's got to be pretty low.  Remember, people are more apt to be concerned about what type of person YOU might be, and if you're campling, it's pretty clear that you'll be moving along by morning in any case.

Schools (in the summer) and churches are good spots since you can be pretty well certain that there won't be any crowds.

some church along the north coast of California:

just off the road in Oklahoma:

in a Kentucky coal miner's front yard:

How about a playground in South Dakota?
Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 02:06:51 pm »

I have to ask: what's the likelihood of being woken up by some angry landowners/LEOs while I'm camping on some random patch of land? It's certainly an appealing idea, but I'd never given it much thought since I figured it was a non-starter. What were the other spots you set up camp, just some open land somewhere near the highway?

I've only been bothered once when roadside camping myself. It was off a ranch exit on I-25, well off the road. State Trooper wanted to know what I was doing there. After explaining that I found myself falling asleep riding on the highway and opted to take the next exit and rest for safety, he was cool. I myself don't do the whole tent setup though, just a sleeping bag and pad. I usually try to stick to public lands though, like national forests/grasslands, BLM land, rest stops and parks etc. I never sleep on private property.

www.ledrider.com
Justin

Reputation 58

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 02:11:35 pm »

Actually, the posted speed limit is 75 mph, but I still wouldn't take it.

Did that change recently? Last time I drove across Kansas it was 70 Mph if I recall correctly.

in a Kentucky coal miner's front yard:

Just curious, when you stop on what is obviously residential property near a house, do you talk to the homeowners and ask first?

www.ledrider.com
Daniel Kalal
It's pronounced Goot-see

Reputation 114

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 02:16:48 pm »

Did that change recently? Last time I drove across Kansas it was 70 Mph if I recall correctly.

It changed this year.

when you stop on what is obviously residential property near a house, do you talk to the homeowners and ask first?

Yes.
numist

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 09:40:46 pm »

Sorry for the spell of silence. I'm on day 5 of my return trip to St Louis, and planning on carrying on past home to North Carolina since why not?

I'm keeping a ride report at adv, but I'll also check back here in case anyone replies.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal