Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 ... 227   Go Down
Print

Topic: Welcome new members! Introduce yourselves here.  (Read 1135455 times)

Eydugstr

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '05 Kawasaki Concours
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: August 15, 2007, 04:36:41 pm »

Hello everyone!  Newbie checking in - My stepdad (jhawk) referred me to this forum.

Not sure what exactly to post here - but I'm 38, live in the Kansas City area (Shawnee) and my current ride is an '05 Concours.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

wsplrll

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 07 Triumph Speed Triple, 09 Triumph Tiger
Miles Typed: 324

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: August 15, 2007, 05:21:14 pm »

Hello everyone -

I joined a few weeks ago and I guess I better do an intro.

I rode a Rupp Roadster in 1972 and a Honda CB100 then a Suzuki TC 100 which I sold to but a car.

Fast foward to 2004 and I started to get the bug again. I rode a Buell Blast and swore I would just ride back roads and the park. I bought an 05 Buell City X in 2005 and have been enjoying that ever since. I have gotten more interested in "sport touring" mostly from checking out this site. I would like to take longer trips than the normal 150 - 250 day trips I take now.

I live in Phoenixville and ride as much as I can. My buddy and I have talked about getting local riders together and starting an informal riding group.

If anyone is nearby drop me a line.

speedtripokc

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 03' Triumph Speed Triple
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #742 on: August 17, 2007, 02:37:50 pm »

Hello,

Just joined the site today but, have been a frequent guest. Great site.
I have a 2003 Speed Triple and am currently in the process of gearing up for some nice long runs. I only have one long trip under my belt (North Carolina to California) and am looking forward to adding to that.

Besides the regional forums is there anywhere else that events are posted? Thanks.

Advertisement

eSONG

Reputation 4

GPS: Northampton, MA
Miles Typed: 138

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: August 18, 2007, 12:31:54 am »

Hello from South Jersey.  I've been lurking for a few months here and there, esp enjoying the great ride reports.   Bigok  I joined not too long ago.  I've been riding for about 5-6 years now.  I started on a 96 Honda CBR600 F3.  A few years later, I moved up to my current ride, 2001 Yamaha R1.  I started doing trackdays last year; I often feel like I'm just killing time between trackdays.  Yes, I'm addicted, but that's not the only place I ride.  I've done a few touring trips on the R1.  I'll sometimes receive strange looks from guys on the sports touring bikes; I often look back at their comfy looking seats with envy.   Bigsmile  The R1 is not the most comfortable bike for long trips, but it's doable.  The longest trip I've done was about a 2500 mile trip from NJ to Nova Scotia and back.  That really did a number on my back and neck.  A more recent trip was a 2 day 900 mile tour of WV.  That was amazing and I dream of going back again with more than a few days to spare.  I've been thinking about getting a second bike this winter, but undecided on what to get.  I'm hoping to get some ideas from here.  I want a bike that will handle as well as any sportsbike (R1, R6, etc) but be comfortable enough to ride all day, carry a passenger, and carry some luggage.  I'm not looking to ride like a reckless hooligan and drag my knee everywhere, but I'd like to be able to keep up with my sportbike riding buddies.  I'm currently gearing up to do my first long weekend tour 2 up with my gf on the R1.

2007 Kymco Grandvista 250, 2006 KTM 950 SM, 2001 Yamaha R1 (naked).
Capo

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 Aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord
GPS: New River, Arizona
Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

At one time sm2727

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: August 18, 2007, 12:44:42 pm »

Scott In the PHX Area

Write something funny, smart and clever here...
ZED

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: '05 Kawi KLR 685 street tard, '07 Ducati ST3s, '13 CRF250R Supermotard, '15 yz25fx
GPS: Calgary, AB, CA
Miles Typed: 1645

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #745 on: August 19, 2007, 12:39:14 am »

Welcome to STN all.  The place where post hos abound but the squids are few. Bigok

eSONG - If you're looking for ideas on a sport-tourer, just check out the sections under "manufacturers row".  You'll find there are a lot of options and even more opinions here.

Capo - Nice tag line. "Write something funny smart and clever here..."  Very, uhm, unique.  You'll fit in well. Thumbsup
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:03:22 pm by ZED » Logged

Life is a highway...or a dirt road!
Tread Lightly. Dirt bike with street tires!
http://www.rockymountainmotards.com
Rat

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '01 R1, '94 VFR750
Miles Typed: 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #746 on: August 19, 2007, 06:23:18 pm »

Greetings,

I've been riding streetbikes for about 25 years, and have accumulated something between 250,000-400,000 miles, on something like 20-21 bikes, mostly of a sporting bent.
*I've always preferred to simply ride, rather than keep close odometer records for bragging rights - I just need to know when the oil change & valve adjustment are due. Estimates are based on known mileages of bikes when changing hands, and occasional actual maintenance documentation.

In reality, I started riding a minibike when I was about 9, and had the riding bug well before that, from my earliest memory.
Except for several unwelcome hiatus', I've been riding pretty much non-stop, year-round ever since.

I've taken MSF BRC & ERC in the early 80's, and am currently considering becoming an MSF Instructor, if/when my schedule and budget allow.
I'd like to pass on the wisdom I've earned from training as well as teaching others what I've learned from my mistakes, hopefully preventing repeats.

The truth is, I lean very much towards the fast end of the motorcycling continuum, but have finally reached an age where I think I want to start appreciating the beauty of the scenery I'm rolling through, rather than just the cool effect of it whizzing by in blurry high-speed.

I was lucky enough to be stationed in Germany in the 80's, when traffic was still fairly light and speeds mostly unrestricted, on a fast current top-shelf sportbike (1987 GSXR750).
I've ridden extensively on autobahns, smooth fast secondary roads, Alps, Nurburgring Nordschleiffe, and even snuck quite a few clandestine laps on Spa Fra ncorchamps in the off-season.
I've spectated at several 500 GP evenst as well, enjoying the full madness of the lifestyle with locals and other hardcore riders from all over the world.

I've also done a 2-week solo x-country USA tour, and many, many miles sport-touring all over New England and Northern California primarily on a 1986 FJ1200 with Corbin Gunfighter & lady saddle for my girlfriend (now wife).

I have extensive 2-up experience, countless miles in rain and other weather including snow, hail, extreme crosswinds, floods and just about any road, weather and traffic condition one could imagine, as well as a 2-year stint as a year-round Moto-Courier on a Honda GB-500 between Sacramento, Fresno & the Bay Area in California.

I've had one "big crash", upon which I pondered finding a safer activity (really not my style), but ultimately found the MSF and have only committed a few bonehead getoffs where I could only blame myself for testing the limits of traction, my ability and talent, and the laws of physics (pushing the envelope til it ripped...).

My most recent moto acquisition is a used 1994 Honda VFR750, with a Salvage Title (cosmetics only) for really cheep $$, which I'm slowly reconstructing as my (limited) budget allows.
It's rideable now, although still needs some things.

Between the VFR, my 'maturing', and such, I seem to have turned a corner as far as my outlook on motorcycling.
I wouldn't say that I have gotten the speed out of my system, probably never will, but now I don't need quite as sharp an edge, and am willing to pass the sword to a younger generation of thrill-seekers.
I want to continue doing this for many years to come.
I now have a 4 1/2 yr-old daughter, and plan to have her as a passenger soon, as well as getting her mini-quads, pocket-bikes etc., to get her started early. She already has interest and desire without any real encouragement - She's definitely "Daddy's Girl"!

So I did a Google search today for "motorcycle sport touring", and found Sport-Touring.net.
After a few minutes perusal of several topics, I felt I might fit it, so here I am!

We now live outside Portland, Oregon, which allows easy access to some of the finest moto-roads and most jaw-dropping scenery west of the Alps!

Life.
Cogito Ergo Zoom (I go , therefore )
Guy

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Miles Typed: 2375

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #747 on: August 19, 2007, 06:49:23 pm »

Good lord Rat, you're gonna fit in well here. Don't be afraid to make your opinions known, and don't worry about the "dog-pile on the newb" mentality. It's all in fun, and fairly benign.

Excellent introduction post. See you around.

Oh, and don't worry, most around here are sport-tourers and we all like to rip it up on occasion, so you won't have to slow down much.
Rat

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '01 R1, '94 VFR750
Miles Typed: 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #748 on: August 20, 2007, 03:53:06 pm »

Thanks for the welcome.

My opinions seem somewhat tempered lately as well.
I'm still happy to voice them, just with somewhat more willingness to accept and really not care if others disagree.
(see how PC that was?)I'll share my thoughts when I feel I can add value to a discussion, and/or perhaps simply a different point of view.

Y'all seem like a (fairly!) mature group of like-minded souls.

I'm looking forward to perhaps some group rides with other local STN'ers, when I get the VFR fully "ride-worthy" (mechanically ready in every way for hard riding).

Rat  Cool

Life.
Cogito Ergo Zoom (I go , therefore )
Against The Wind
No, I really haven't figured it out.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
Miles Typed: 6710

My Photo Gallery

Feel the wind...and set yourself the bolder course

Ignore
« Reply #749 on: August 22, 2007, 07:31:15 pm »

"Y'all seem like a (fairly!) mature group of like-minded souls."

rofl

Welcome. Just don't pay any attention to me.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:33:05 pm by Against The Wind » Logged
Against The Wind
No, I really haven't figured it out.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
Miles Typed: 6710

My Photo Gallery

Feel the wind...and set yourself the bolder course

Ignore
« Reply #750 on: August 22, 2007, 07:31:47 pm »

...unless you're intoxicated....
kevinwilly
Afraid of highways

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 02 R1100S
GPS: NC- the state
Miles Typed: 59

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: August 22, 2007, 08:56:35 pm »

Hi there!

I'm a newbie to this board. My girlfriend joked about me joining (cultureslayer) because she thinks you'll all make fun of me for having a girlfriend that rides more than I do. But hey, I can afford a nice car and she can't.  Twofinger

Anyways- i've lurked in the past and this place seems great, and most people that are crazy enough to sport tour are alright by me!

soooo.... yeah....

I guess you are all responsible for figuring out how to turn a Ducati 998 into a more comfortable bike for me... because I got nothing. I'm looking at buying one but can't seem to justify it as far as practicality goes..... Smile
ZED

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '05 Kawi KLR 685 street tard, '07 Ducati ST3s, '13 CRF250R Supermotard, '15 yz25fx

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #752 on: August 22, 2007, 09:34:55 pm »

I'm a newbie to this board. My girlfriend joked about me joining (cultureslayer) because she thinks you'll all make fun of me for having a girlfriend that rides more than I do. But hey, I can afford a nice car and she can't.  Twofinger

I guess you are all responsible for figuring out how to turn a Ducati 998 into a more comfortable bike for me... because I got nothing. I'm looking at buying one but can't seem to justify it as far as practicality goes..... Smile

Ah!  At last we meet the kept man boyfriend.  Welcome aboard!  Bigok
(changed any tires lately   Wink )

Sure, we'll show you how to make a 998 more comfortable.  Just drop it off at my place and I'll demonstrate all season how comfortable it is.  Bigsmile

Oh, and you made a bit of a boo boo there.  You used "practical" and "motorcycle" in the same sentence.  Lol

ZED

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #753 on: August 22, 2007, 09:38:35 pm »

I'm looking forward to perhaps some group rides with other local STN'ers, when I get the VFR fully "ride-worthy" (mechanically ready in every way for hard riding).

Rat  Cool

Like, perhaps the Banff run?!?  I't only two states up from you.  You've got two weeks to get that VFR ready.  Go!
https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,2634.0.html

Nodaclu
Laps Timed By Sundial

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Pending...
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1471

My Photo Gallery

Wait...what?

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: August 24, 2007, 01:49:59 pm »

Just wanted to say hello....

Stuck in Vegas until the end of the year, when I'll be heading to Southern Oregon where I can finally enjoy some decent roads, rides, and scenery.

I'm easy to spot on the road, I'm the guy on the Harley who dresses like he should be on a Beemer. You should see the looks I get on Saturdays at the H-D dealership when I walk in for my free Harley burger.  Bigsmile

Out of the 5 bikes I've owned, this darn Sportster is far and away the most comfortable of the bunch, and I can put more miles on it in a day then the ST1100 and the DL650 I had previously. (This should begin to clue you in as to how screwed up I am.)  Lol

And yes, I've gone into the dealer and asked for quieter pipes. I swear the whole place went silent and I heard crickets....  rofl

Taken near Cedar Breaks, Utah with my "XL883ST".  Inlove

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle...
ZED

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #755 on: August 25, 2007, 12:23:49 am »

Cool!  Nothing like breaking boundaries and stereotypes.  Welcome aboard Bigok

( I can relate in reverse.  I ride a Kawi and a Ducati in an HD jacket.  Lot's of questions.  Lol )

RoadGlide7

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Harley-Davidson Road Glide
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #756 on: August 25, 2007, 03:10:17 pm »

Hello Y'all!

My name is Bill, and I recently bought a H-D Road Glide after many years without a motorcycle. I live in Kentucky and work as a police officer in the central part of the state. Prior to 9/11 I flew DC8's for a cargo carrier. My interests besides motorcycles include scuba diving, photography, shooting competitions, and running. I have had the Road Glide for about two months and have put about 4500 miles on it. I have owned many other brands of motorcycles besides the HD. I am considering buying a HD/Buell Ulysses next year.

Bill
burmbuster

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '07 Triumph Sprint St
Miles Typed: 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: August 25, 2007, 06:38:55 pm »

Hi, all.
I'm Brad and i am going back to the streets after almost ten years. Took time off as my little one's were growing up and we are heavy into motocross. No, I don't have a bike yet. I have narrowed it down to the BMW F800ST or the Triumph Sprint ST. I just purchased my new lid, a Scorpion EXO-700, and I am waiting on my Olympia Phantom suit. Haven't decided on boots yet as my bike purchase is a month away. (we're in the process of moving and we all know how much of a pain that is).
Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. It's great to actually have a site where riders come together no matter what the brand of choice.

Cheers,
Brad
GregR1

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 Kawasaki ZX-9R
Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #758 on: August 25, 2007, 07:07:59 pm »

Hi Guys!

I'm Greg, from Ottawa (Canada).  Already see a few familiar names on here (GlobalRider, RowdyRed, and a few others).

Riding a 2002 ZX-9R, my first bike ever of any kind, but damn do I love it!  I've already got a nice big tank bag, saddle bags, and tail bag for it, and new tires coming (Avon Storm-ST) since the stock BT014's are worn too much (front is bald).  Bike has just over 30,000km (20,000 miles), but I'm the second or third owner.  I've been doing quite a few group rides around here, mostly heading into the nicer sections in Gatineau (Quebec).  Did one longer ride through the Adirondacks a week ago, and MAN did I love that!  Now I want to set up a ride with others to do the same thing.

Hope to learn a few things from the people on here!  I'm already surprised to see someone doing sport-touring on a Sportster 883 - impressive since I've heard lots of people say that Sporties are only good for short jaunts.

Anyways, good to be here!
GregR1
PaintSniffer

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 98-VFR, 93-888SPO, 05Yam_Warrior
Miles Typed: 11

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #759 on: August 25, 2007, 11:49:29 pm »

Hey....what's up?

Well, I'm Sean....owner of Connecticut Cycle Refinishing and sport touring is my fave past time.  If any members have any questions about motorcycle paint...please feel free to ask me as I've been painting motorcycles professionally since 1988. Work has appeared in Easy Riders, Motorcyclist, Sport Rider, Biker, Big Twin, HotXL, BackRoads, Friction Zone and others.

"The older I get...the faster I was".
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 ... 227   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal