Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: The Path to a Water Cooled R1200GS  (Read 9428 times)

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:00:37 am »

What Can I Say?  I Love Twins.

Based on  a few requests to know the thought process of the current bike purchase, as follows is a brief overview of the bikes I considered and what I liked and didn’t like.  More importantly, this all needs to be seen through the lens of what were my primary needs and wants.

First, I wanted a touring bike.  So, touring stuff like wind protection (so an extent), comfort, luggage ability, cruise control, and heated grips were a must.  Electronic goodies such as ABS, TC, TPS, etc… were to be a big plus!

I very much enjoyed the RT I had for two years.  Let’s not get into why I don’t have it any longer.  Long story.  But, becuase I loved it so much, my first look was a new water-cooled RT.  Wow! That’s all I could say.  The new RT is much better than the last version.  This is mostly due to the new water-cooled (WC) boxer.  It’s the most amazing BMW boxer I’ve ever tested and I never liked the boxer before the DOHC model.

I love the torque of twins and prefer to have something more revvy like a Ducati or KTM but is happy to lug around all day under 4k on the revvs and deliver all the pull I could want out of every corner.  So, that’s why the Guzzi also made it on my list.  But, before I get to that, I still haven’t left the BMW dealer.  My next test ride was a WC GS.  As most of you know, I had my KTM Adventure for 4 years.  That’s a longest a bike has ever stayed in possession.  So, I like adventure touring bikes and after a ride on the new GS I knew if my next bike was going to be a BMW, it was going to be a GS and not the new RT.

Why?  Well, in short… leg room, better comfort,  the ability to tackle unpaved roads, and less wind protection.  That’s right, less wind projection.  I like the wind, I don’t want to be fully protected from it and that was one of my biggest gripes of my old RT.

So, that’s it, I thought.  Another adventure bike it will be for me.  I included a Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, a KTM 1190 Adventure, and, at the last minute, I included a Triumph Tiger Explorer in the list of bikes I would consider and test ride.

Since many already know the end of the story, here’s the spoiler:  I came back to the GS in the end.

Why?

OK, here are my thoughts on the other bikes in order of preference (from least to most) based on my initial criteria (adventure touring, with emphasis on touring):

4)  Triumph Tiger Explorer XC

+ best motor of the group.  Is there a more perfect motor that the Triumph Triple?  Torque and high end revs.  It’s got it all!

+ very comfortable

+  Nice size gas tank and fuel range

+  tubeless spoke wheels

-- weakest suspension out of the group, not the most confident inspiring.  felt heavy.

-- cheapest feeling bits and pieces

-- non-adjustable windscreen

3)  KTM 1190 Adventure

+  most athletic feeling of the group

+  impressive off road feel.  Nible.  Light.

+  Ride mode mapping with advance traction control

+  tubeless spoke wheels

-- least all-day riding comfortable out of the group

-- no cruise control

-- adjustable windscreen not easily adjustable on the fly

--  limited dealer support.   It’s better than what is was a few years ago, but street KTM dealers are still far between.

2)  Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

+  best looking and sounding out of the group.  i've always wanted a guzzi, so this may have placed higher on this short list just based on the "gotta have" factor.

+  I love this V-twin motor.  Drool

+  most adjustable ergos and most comfortable out of the group

+  tubeless spoke wheels

-- adjustable windscreen needs two hands to adjust, nearly imposable to do on the fly

-- worst dealer support of the entire group

--  felt heavy

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:49:08 pm by R Doug » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:00:53 am »

There really isn’t a loser in the bunch.  They're all great bikes.  It will come down to a person's priorities on which bike would be best for them.

It was close between the GS and the Stelvio but the GS won for several reasons.  First, dealer proximity and support.  I believe there are less Guzzi dealers today than there was a few years back and the closest one to me isn’t all that close.  Second, the overall comfort and touring features on the GS were a big plus.  When riding one, you can feel the bike’s ability to go long distances yet be competent in an off-road environment.  

Highs and Lows of the GS:

Highs
•   The new water-cooled boxer motor is a beast!  Torque!!!!  

It pulls hard from 3k rpm up and through the revs.  And, this is a much quicker revving bike.  It felt as revvy to me as the 8v Guzzi.  

•   The new integrated transmission is super smooth on up and downshifts.  And, the slipper clutch is a nice perk.

•   Electronic riding modes and traction control are all a big plus (rain, enduro, road, and dynamic)

•   The wind management to get as much or the least amount of air on you is very good, especially with the new adjustable windscreen which is easily adjustable with one hand while riding.

Lows

•   Fuel range with the standard GS is between 200 and 220 per tank.  The new GS Adventure released in 2014 has a much larger tank and range.

•   The engine can be pretty buzzy in the upper rev range.  It's not a bad kind of buzzy which will make body parts feel numb, it's more of a "I'm here" buzzy.

•   The reach to the bars can be a bit long depending on where I plop my butt in the seat.  And, when the seat is in the low position, I feel like the bars are a straight reach out with my hand being on the same level as my heart.  In the higher seat position, which I prefer, my heart is above my hands.  

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2014%20Adventures/DSCN4837_zpscc0e1384.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2014%20Adventures/DSCN4842_zps36fedf74.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2014%20Adventures/DSCN4845_zps15e695d1.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2014%20Adventures/DSCN4847_zps961900a7.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2014%20Adventures/DSCN4839_zpsfe60c165.jpg
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:50:42 pm by R Doug » Logged
Roadscum

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '15 BMW R12R, '12 Vespa 300', '15 BMW GSA, '13 BMW F800GT (in Europe)
GPS: SW Florida
Miles Typed: 481

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 09:46:18 am »

Five days ago I picked up a 2015 GSA with low suspension and all I can say is WOW! It was out with the Yamaha Super Tenere and in with the GSA. Parked next to the GSA is a '11 R1200R, a Vespa 300, and I just sold my "09 Triumph Scrambler. I'll ride anything with two wheels and can have fun on all of them, I'm no  "fan boy" for any marque, but I do have a fondness for the boxer motor.

Paul
Advertisement

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 10:00:19 am »

I'm with you, Paul.  I'm not a fan boy of any single marque either.  But, I have come to appreciate BMWs and, most importantly, that new boxer!

BTW, I have updated the posts above.  I had written sections on different computers and the merge of the two thought streams didn't line up very well.  
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, ‘08 Ulysses, '07 Norge , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1137

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 10:57:11 am »

...but OMG...the ugly stick really laid into that one didn't it?  Bigsmile  Seriously, I am sure it is going to be a great bike for you.
 What I don't get in this decision making process (and you are definitely not alone in your thinking) is this perceived need for dealers all over the place. Other than for a scheduled service when you buy it, why do you need a dealer next door? Most bikes are pretty damned reliable (except for recalls, and maybe BMW final drives and Honda stators). Anybody can install tires...I just don't get it. Why are people afraid to cut the cord? If you are on an adventure bike, in the middle of nowhere on an adventure, there is probably not going to be a dealer for anything anywhere nearby. If you need something it is probably coming by courier to you or whatever shop you can find right there.
 Where I am, the Honda/KTM dealer is half an hour one way, and the Yamaha/Honda dealer is half an hour the other way. But BMW, Harley, Suzuki, Triumph,Ducati and Kawi are 3 hours away, and Guzzi are a couple hours further. Of course I ride Guzzis. Do I care that it is further? Not a bit. Maybe it helps that Guzzis are very easy to work on, and I am capable of doing anything I need to do, but honestly it is the least of my worries. I want to ride what I love, not what the nearest dealer sells!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 11:58:27 am »

Ugly is a relative term when it comes to adventure bikes.  I quite like the looks of most of them.  IMO, the Guzzi is the most attractive.  But, compared to non-adventure bikes, the Stelvio is quite homely.  

Dealer support is important for major scheduled maintenance primarily and the “what if” scenario while out on the road.  I do all fluid changes and other basic maintenance myself.  As for tires, I do that myself, too.  I just SO wish I were more comfortable to do valve adjustments on modern bikes.  On the Ural, it was easy enough that dealer support was not an important criteria to me.

Life can get very busy and I appreciate the ability to leave work a little early to go drop off a bike mid- way through a work week and pick it up on a Saturday.  If the dealer starts to get more than hour away, it becomes a hassle for major service.  Most of the bikes have 12K major service intervals and that’s going to happen once to twice a year for me.

Add in to the fact there appears to be less and less Guzzi dealers and concerns of that the future holds will always give me pause.  
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 12:14:30 pm »

Ugly is a relative term when it comes to adventure bikes.  I quite like the looks of most of them.  IMO, the Guzzi is the most attractive.  But, compared to non-adventure bikes, the Stelvio is quite homely.  

Dealer support is important for major scheduled maintenance primarily and the “what if” scenario while out on the road.  I do all fluid changes and other basic maintenance myself.  As for tires, I do that myself, too.  I just SO wish I were more comfortable to do valve adjustments on modern bikes.  On the Ural, it was easy enough that dealer support was not an important criteria to me.

Life can get very busy and I appreciate the ability to leave work a little early to go drop off a bike mid- way through a work week and pick it up on a Saturday.  If the dealer starts to get more than hour away, it becomes a hassle for major service.  Most of the bikes have 12K major service intervals and that’s going to happen once to twice a year for me.

Add in to the fact there appears to be less and less Guzzi dealers and concerns of that the future holds will always give me pause.  

Ok, I will give you that...none of them are cafe racer beautiful, but some of them are functionally attractive...some not so much...LOL

As far as valve adjustments go, that is one of the great things about Guzzis. The valves are right there, and you won't hurt your back and neck leaning over  like on a Ural...lol  Super easy.
 Having multiple bikes means those service intervals don't come up as often for me...maybe you need another one or two?  Bigsmile

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 01:47:50 pm »

No doubt perky jugs help in all scenarios.   Lol

Having multiple bikes means those service intervals don't come up as often for me...maybe you need another one or two?  Bigsmile

Now that's one of the best arguments I've read on why one should own more than one bike.   Bigok

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 03:34:29 pm »

I have dealers for all the Euro adventure bikes within an hour of me, so I guess I should start test riding them as opportunity allows (including Aprilia). I'm really concerned about weight and its effect on off-road handling, so it's looking like the short list is likely to be KTM, BMW (1200 or 800) or Triumph 800. Everything else is pushing 600 pounds wet. The new V-Strom could be an option too I guess, but it's lacking ground clearance and suspension travel.

Keeping fingers crossed for a Honda Africa Twin with tubeless 17/19 spoke wheels. Might have a better chance of riding a unicorn though...

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Dan K

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4226

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 04:23:26 pm »

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2014%20Adventures/DSCN4842_zps36fedf74.jpg

Smart way to have spoked, tubeless rims.

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
Acadian Rider

Reputation 34

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2017 Super Ténéré ES
GPS: Moncton N.B. Canada
Miles Typed: 1155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 07:02:51 pm »

Thanks for the post Doug.  

I just might follow in your footsteps again in the future but the RT is staying for now.    

I know I would love the GS1200 but I would be more tempted with the GSA1200 for the simple reason of the range.  

V'Nez nous ouère.

2005 - Banff Run   2006 - National   2007- SNOT II   2008 - National   2009 - ESTN    2010 - National & SNOB I  2012- National  2013 - SNOB III & ESTN  2014 - WCRM
Roadscum

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '15 BMW R12R, '12 Vespa 300', '15 BMW GSA, '13 BMW F800GT (in Europe)
GPS: SW Florida
Miles Typed: 481

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 01:56:14 pm »

When buying a bike I really don't pat attention to the look, for me it's all about the ride.
When I'm in the breeze I can't tell how it look, but if I'm grinning it's good, very good!
When I stop grinning it's time for a different bike.

When I was a very young man I paid attention to pretty things, but soon learned that function is way more important then form... Lol

Paul

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:10:50 pm by Roadscum » Logged
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 02:29:18 pm »

But there are still some that are just too damned ugly to ride...like the Victory Vision...you would have to pay me well to even test ride that abomination!  EEK!

tankhead
I took the road less traveled and it has made all the difference.

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 2014 Yamaha Supere Tenere
Miles Typed: 785

My Photo Gallery

One time and one time only.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 03:01:39 pm »

Congrats Doug  Clap Clap Clap Burnout Banana Chili
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 04:50:18 pm »

Congrats, Doug, on your return to the Wehermacht; enjoy the two-wheeled panzer.   Bigsmile

And, yes, the GS/A line makes for a great touring machine.  Did your bike come with Jesse bags?  My buddy had them on his '04 GSA and they were incredibly stout, the locks, not so much, but I've heard the locks have improved over the years.

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
chilipeppernorm

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 2014 BMW R 1200RT, 2004 Moto Guzzi V11 Ballbio
GPS: Oregon Coast
Miles Typed: 581

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 02:38:34 am »

Congratulations on the thoughtful and considered choice of your great new ride. I just went the opposite direction and traded in my faithful and flawless 08 GS1200 Adventure for a new 2014 R1200 RT and am loving it. Nothing wrong with the GSA and she saw me through many trips and a brutal daily commute from rural farm to downtown SF and back for years in all weather and circumstance. Just was ready for a bike more suitable to my 32 inch inseam and creature comforts. Love that new water cooled boxer and very happy with ESA which I'd no experience with. Many happy miles to you!

"I have found that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them" 
Mark Twain
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 07:05:24 am »

Congrats, Doug, on your return to the Wehermacht; enjoy the two-wheeled panzer.   Bigsmile

And, yes, the GS/A line makes for a great touring machine.  Did your bike come with Jesse bags?  My buddy had them on his '04 GSA and they were incredibly stout, the locks, not so much, but I've heard the locks have improved over the years.

Oops, I've missed some posts. Sorry.   Embarassment

The bike did come with the Jesse bags.  While I am impressed with them, I don't plan on any around-the-world trips.  So, I don't need bags that can save the bike when it's taking a nap in the middle of the wilderness nor do I need that much storage space.  I was able to trade them straight up for the factory cases with a guy in Virginia.  

Congratulations on the thoughtful and considered choice of your great new ride. I just went the opposite direction and traded in my faithful and flawless 08 GS1200 Adventure for a new 2014 R1200 RT and am loving it. Nothing wrong with the GSA and she saw me through many trips and a brutal daily commute from rural farm to downtown SF and back for years in all weather and circumstance. Just was ready for a bike more suitable to my 32 inch inseam and creature comforts. Love that new water cooled boxer and very happy with ESA which I'd no experience with. Many happy miles to you!

Nothing at all wrong with the RT.  It's a wonderful ride!  She's way more nimble than she looks, yes!?  I had a K1200S before the RT and couldn't believe how much better the RT felt in the twisites.  

And, when I *thought* I had given up riding, I nearly bawled like a baby when the RT was loaded on the buyers trailer to be taken to its new home.  I really did enjoy that bike.
velofishy

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: bikes
Miles Typed: 136

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 06:00:05 pm »

Duuuuude. . . . you were so close.

Now go get yourself one of these.  Going for a song now.

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 09:20:02 pm »

One of these days, john. One of these days. Thanks to you, I have been bitten by the Moto Guzzi bug.
velofishy

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: bikes
Miles Typed: 136

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 09:29:56 am »

I think that you made a good choice.  If I ever buy a new bike, I'd want the dealer to be awfully close so that it doesn't take all day to drop off a bike for warranty issues.  Also, it can be a great thing to have a dealer do some of the simple maintenance things at times.  There is something to be said for learning one's bike and doing all the work oneself, but life is busy and noisome at times and it can be a great relief to have someone else take that off your hands while you, well, enjoy life.  Smile

Just keep an eye out for an old LeMans or V11Sport to occasionally "whip the horse".  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal