Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Questions on Guzzi V7's  (Read 21690 times)

GerryPetrecca

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2015 Moto Guzzi Stone V7 Gloss Red
GPS: Guilford, CT
Miles Typed: 596

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2014, 02:44:58 pm »

Greetings from Connecticut.

Retiring soon (51 days) and by next riding season I'll be 68,  so I've been giving some serious thought about "down sizing" from my 2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 ABS.  

Nothing wrong with the bike but  I would like something a bit lower, lighter something I could flat foot

considering the following:
1. Triumph Street Triple
2. Guzzi V7
3. Triumph Bonnie.

My plan come spring is to hit Vermont (5/28 - 06/01) for a rally in Bennington then try and head down Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge.

Anyone done any long distance riding on a V7, or is this bike more suited to commuting and general day rides?

The official Moto Guzzi  site shows some accessories that would appear to transform the V7 into a mini ST bike.

looking at the Stone/Special they appear to be pretty similar except for paint, rims & price.

Is there anything particularly bad about the V7?

Any information good or bad would be  very useful.

Anyone with a Guzzi from Connecticut?

Regards,

Gerry

Gerry Petrecca
Guilford, Connecticut
2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (Red) If you're a guy and what you love has tits or tires it's gonna cost you $$$$$!
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 03:21:01 pm »

I did a lot of research on the V7 and test rode two different year Stone models.  The seat and suspension seem to be most criticized for distance riding.  The new 2015 models come with ABS, where the Bonnies still do not offer that.  I have ridden a few Bonnies and the motor is much more electric-feeling with less "character," and it does have a bit more weight.  The Street Triple can be fun, and can tour, as I did successfully with my old one - more successfully after I bought a new seat.  The Street Triple is most exciting if you are hammering it, but not as characterful for everyday normal riding.
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:48:13 pm »

Long shot, I know.    Shrug  But if you are planning to be in Seattle anytime soon, Dave Richardson at Moto International would let you take an extended test ride on a V7.   Thumbsup

I've had a five day test ride on the Bonneville, and for me the V7 has more character.  There's nothing between them for reliability.   Triumph dealers are more plentiful, but for a modern bike I don't know how much that matters anymore.  Modern bikes are all pretty good.  

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
Advertisement

Pete Roper

Reputation 45

Motorcycles: Lots of Guzzis, Aprilia Mana.
Miles Typed: 420

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 04:10:29 pm »

The ABS/TC equipped V7-II won't be in the USA until late 2015 at the earliest. No real idea why but Guzzi always delays launches of new machines in America.

The single TB V7's have proved to be both reliable and popular. The re-design of the Pistons and rings has erradicated their one real quirk on the earlier bikes, a propensity to suddenly, without warning, drink all their oil and run their big ends! I still have no idea why they do this but the new ones don't! Oil capacity is still small though so I would still recommend a sump extension, especially for long distance touring.

The suspension is, by modern standards, rudimentary but it works and the bike is light and an absolute joy to ride on quiet back roads. Performance is not going to set the world alight but if you want that? That's what a V4 Tuono is for!

One of the nicest things about the single TB V7's is their ease of maintenance. As long as Harry Hometune doesn't start fiddling with stuff he should bloody well leave alone there is little to do apart from swap oils and filters and set the valves in routine servicing. By all accounts the new V7-II will have even longer service intervals and simpler maintenance routines.

If you like the idea of a 1970's motorbike with the benefits of modern technology you can do a lot worse than a V7.

Pete
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 07:14:40 pm »

:popcorn:

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 05:12:31 am »

The suspension is, by modern standards, rudimentary but it works and the bike is light and an absolute joy to ride on quiet back roads. Performance is not going to set the world alight but if you want that? That's what a V4 Tuono is for!

I had a chance for a long, 4 hour ride on a V7 and I agree with Pete's assessment.

I had a blast riding it on twisty mountain roads as, it's so light and flickable.

However, I didn't have it loaded with luggage and I'm not sure how it would perform as a touring bike if fully loaded.

Roadscum

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '15 BMW R12R, '12 Vespa 300', '15 BMW GSA, '13 BMW F800GT (in Europe)
GPS: SW Florida
Miles Typed: 481

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:16:32 pm »

my $.02.

I like a bit more power then the V7 has to offer and want better suspension bit.

The Bonnie looks good but is heavy, has mediocre handing at best, and the suspension need new bits. I prefer the alloy wheeled Bonnie because it has quicker turn in. I owned a Scrambler with major motor work and suspension  upgrade but the weight and slow handling worked against it.

In a fan of triple's but Street Triple is a bit too small and not comfortable for these old bones, the timing chain on the Triumph triples has a loud whine, and I found the engine heat is uncomfortable here in SW Florida. I've owned a Daytona 675 and a Tiger 800XC.

You might want to give some thought to a BMW R1200R(shaft drive!!) or maybe a Yamaha FZ-09, or the soon to be available Yamaha FJ-09. the FZ/FJ-09 are triples build on the same frame, and same motor. It's one of the best motors to come out of Yamaha, and they've had some good ones. More powerful then the Triumph 675cc motor or the 800cc motor, no cam chain whine, and on the demo ride I had there was no heat issue.

The Yamaha FZ-07 parallel twin is another option, as are the Honda CB500X/S/R.

Sooooo many good bike to chose from. It's a great time to be a motorcyclist!

Yep, I trying to figure out how to squeeze a FZ-09(414 lbs!!) into my garage to satisfy the hooligan in me.  Lol

Paul

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:21:02 pm by Roadscum » Logged
staedtler

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 996R (track)
GPS: Austin, TX
Miles Typed: 841

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 08:21:25 pm »

Thumbsup      

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:43:17 pm by staedtler » Logged
GerryPetrecca

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 02:09:02 pm »

Thank you all for the information.

I'm basically looking for something these 67 year old bones  can sit on comfortably, move around the garage (dirt floor), easier to maintain, cruise along the highway at 75 - 80 mph if needed, and still be fun on the twisty bits (but not trying to be a Rossi clone).  

Just want a nice enjoyable ride down the Blue Ridge, Del. Water Gap (love riding on both the NY and PA sides of the river), DelMarVa, Vermont, etc.

I stopped by the local dealer here in New Haven during lunch break and kicked the tires on their in store stock of V7's and Breva.

My first up close and personal look.   I think they look better than the standard Bonnie, were a bit lighter, seat height was good for me as well as the seating position.  Even the Breva was more comfortable than my Sprint ST 1050 abs.

They appear to be well made, paint was good but I don't like the matte finishes.

There appears to be some nice factory accessories, windscreen, hard cases, tail rack, etc, etc.  not sure yet what other aftermarket pieces are out there.

From what I can tell based on my short lunch visit is that there is not much difference between the V7 Stone and the V7 special except for wheels and paint(and price).  The Racer had the Chrome tank & leather strap and a number plate and a bit of a blast screen, different seat, as well as different shocks and exhaust.

Seems like a good bet would be to get the Stone and tart her up.  

Gerry

p.s. I was told that he V7 ABS, 6-speed  should be in the US by the end of April.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:12:19 pm by GerryPetrecca » Logged

Gerry Petrecca
Guilford, Connecticut
2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (Red) If you're a guy and what you love has tits or tires it's gonna cost you $$$$$!
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 08:16:22 pm »

They appear to be well made, paint was good but I don't like the matte finishes.

Yeah, I agree.   I like the Stone with the gloss red tank.   Thumbsup

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
VFRide

Reputation 2

Miles Typed: 37

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 12:27:47 am »

It seems this fellow in New Zealand has been in the same situation and has a blog entitled "confessions of an Aging Motorcyclist".  His answer was to buy a Street tripe.  You might find his choice process worth a read:

http://geoffjames.blogspot.ca/2010/08/triumph-street-triple-review-revisited.html

Thank you all for the information.

I'm basically looking for something these 67 year old bones  can sit on comfortably, move around the garage (dirt floor), easier to maintain, cruise along the highway at 75 - 80 mph if needed, and still be fun on the twisty bits (but not trying to be a Rossi clone).  

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 12:37:26 am »

Just want a nice enjoyable ride down the Blue Ridge, Del. Water Gap (love riding on both the NY and PA sides of the river), DelMarVa, Vermont, etc.

I own a Thruxton and had that aforementioned 4 hour ride on a V7.

The Thruxton has an edge in horsepower but the V7 felt more sure footed although, that might be down to the Thruxton's clip ons. The Bonneville might feel different.

As I said, I had a blast riding the V7 in the twisty bits. For the type of riding you describe, the V7 sounds like it would fit the bill for day rides although, as I mentioned before, I don't know if it could handle being loaded down with full luggage.

nevinfs327

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: Ducati Scrambler, W650, TU250
GPS: San Francisco
Miles Typed: 1271

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 05:47:57 pm »

I have a 2009 Street Triple and a 2010 V7 Cafe, both of which are similar to - though not identical - to current offerings.

The bikes are fairly different to ride.  I can't say I like one better than the other, but the Triumph is definitely a better bike all around for everything from running local errands in the city to riding across the country.  It is a very flexible platform that can be exciting for riding aggressively, or an appliance for knocking down miles on the slab in the rain.  

The V7 is somewhat one dimensional - not in a bad way - but the engine has nowhere the range of useful RPM and always demands to be ridden with intent.  

To categorize some of the features:

Power/performance:
The added power of the triple really adds to the excitement of the bike, but I rarely feel the V7 is lacking power.  I do find that I frequently use all of the power on the V7.  On a twisty road I'm equally fast, if not a hair faster on the V7 because it is easy to feel very connected to the bike.  The clip on bars help.  

Comfort
I like both, but for long days the Triumph wins as it is much less compact.  I believe the V7 cafe has higher rear sets, so this may not be a fair comparison to other models.  I also have a Sargent seat on my Triumph which has more surface area for spreading my weight across.  

Brakes/suspension
Neither is particularly strong here.  The Street Triple R is absolutely worth buying for the better bits.  Wear became noticeable around 20k, and with nearly 40k, the suspension is very sensitive to any weight beyond me on the bike.  The V7 suspension with just over 10k on it is also starting to show signs of age, but is getting wallowy rather than pogo-sticky so not nearly as bad.  I'm about 165lbs.  

Touring/luggage carrying
I pack light, and can fit everything I need for 2 weeks on the Triumph for camping, and have done so.  Even with the weight up high, it doesn't make much of a difference in the ride.  The performance of the rear shock does begin to deteriorate some.  

I never intended the V7 for touring with luggage, so I only pack what I can in a small tank bag and maybe ball up an extra layer and different pair of gloves under my bungee in a bag.

The V7 has tube tires, so even though I have my flat repair kit with me most of the time, I'd basically be out of luck with a flat as I don't carry spoons.  

Maintenance/attention
The Triumph is no different than the many Japanese bikes I've owned - service when needed and otherwise don't worry about it.  I've had two issues - a slight coolant leak from a hard to reach hose clamp that works its way loose, and R/R failure.  The R/R failed at as convenient a time and location as it could have, and Triumph replaced it under warranty along with the stator despite the bike being 5 years old and having 35k on the clock.  Otherwise just chain maintenance and air in the tires.  I have been surprised at the cost of dealer service, and not in a good way.  12k service was at a dealer but I have done all others, and will continue to as long as the valves are in spec.  I probably won't deal with cam removal and shim replacement if required.

The V7 is easy to maintain, and good if you like working on simple mechanical things.  I enjoy doing the service on it.  The intervals are much closer, but the only routine service item I find to be annoying is the paper valve cover gaskets tearing and requiring scraping and replacement.  Cheap to replace and I have a Guzzi dealer right by me so not a big deal.  While maintenance is easy, the V7 requires much more attention, if you will.  It sometimes consumes oil (hugely inconsistently), and the process of riding it to check it requires a little planning in advance.  Some bolts work themselves loose so checking bolts is a good idea.  The chrome parts need love and cleaning is an important part of maintenance, where the Triumph can just get hosed down and be good to go.  I haven't had any notable issues with the V7 other than a questionable check engine light that sometimes illuminates for a few minutes then goes away.  I will get it to the dealer eventually for a look, but in general I trust the mechanical aspects of the bike more than I do the electronics powering that light.  

Oh - and the clutch requires very frequent adjustment.  Every few hundred miles.  At the lever so not a big deal, but I've never had another bike that required so much clutch adjustment.  The dealer told me this is normal.  

V7 Cafe touring
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/nevinreilly/Rides/Lassen%20Lava%20Crater%20Coast%20May%202014/DSCF2181_zpseff8edf2.jpg

Triumph touring
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/nevinreilly/Rides/High%20Desert%20Weekend%206-14/DSCF2240_zps714e51cb.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/nevinreilly/Rides/2010%20BRP%20trip/DSCF1239.jpg
sharkey

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Burgman 650
Miles Typed: 112

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 11:25:54 pm »

I like the lil' Guzzi but on paper it seemed to be lacking in HP especially coming off a Sprint ST.  Have you considered a F800ST or GT?  I'm 45 but short and a lightweight and it's a light bike with decent power and storage.  It lacks a bit of character compared to the V7 or Bonnie though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GerryPetrecca

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 02:25:06 pm »

I like the lil' Guzzi but on paper it seemed to be lacking in HP especially coming off a Sprint ST.  Have you considered a F800ST or GT?  I'm 45 but short and a lightweight and it's a light bike with decent power and storage.  It lacks a bit of character compared to the V7 or Bonnie though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharky,

Thanks for the tip.  I had not thought about a BMW as they always seemed to be out of my price range.

How ever a F 800 GT about t he same price as a new Street Triple R

Gerry Petrecca
Guilford, Connecticut
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 06:00:10 pm »

Sharky,

Thanks for the tip.  I had not thought about a BMW as they always seemed to be out of my price range.

However, an F 800 GT is about the same price as a new Street Triple R.

F800GT is a better all around motorcycle than the V7...if you are planning on regular trips to Florida.

The F series is more of an "appliance," though than the V7.   The V7 is like your Granddad's pocket watch.

I'd take either one over the Bonneville.  At the risk of stirring up the haters, the Bonneville looks vintage but feels modern and a little soulless to ride.  In other words, the worst of both worlds.

The V7 looks vintage and feels like you're riding a motorcycle, Bucky.   Bigok

The BMW looks modern and feels just a little bland.  But it's the best bike from a performance standpoint.  Perhaps even mileage wise as the BMW F Series is very thrifty.   Shrug

Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 7785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 10:53:36 pm »

I want a V7.

My Breva 1200 Sport sucked me in.

A 70s bike experience?  It is to laugh. Back then a 750 was a big bike. Good sport touring tackle was a milk crate.

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
GerryPetrecca

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 06:42:49 pm »

Thank you all for the information supplied to my original post.

I am now the owner of a 2015 V7 in Gloss Red.  It should arrive at Hamlin Cycles in Bethel Ct on Friday and will under go "improvements".

Should be in my possion before end of month.

I will definitely try to make the MGNOC rally in New Hampshire - June 18 - 21 2015.

Gerry

Gerry Petrecca
Guilford, Connecticut
Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 7785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 07:01:06 pm »

Pics, my good man!

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 10:15:59 pm »

Forza Guzzi!

Bigok

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal