Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Glacier Nat'l Park  (Read 43114 times)

prodpac

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2014 FJR 1300ES
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2014, 08:27:36 pm »

I'm sure many of you have taken the ride from Yellowstone to Glacier Nat'l Park. Any suggestions on routes and time needed?
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

jfman

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Versys 1000
Miles Typed: 92

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 01:00:16 am »

Do not miss Beartooth Pass. Going to the sun road in Glacier opens late some years so make sure its gloing to be open when you visit.

Yellowstone itself might be disappointing on a motorcycling point of view.

Did I mention do not miss Beartooth Pass?
mustang28027

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2002 FZ1, 1987 Honda SuperMagna, 2001 KTM 125
GPS: Concord,NC
Miles Typed: 397

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 06:25:56 am »

Yellowstone disappointing?  I think not!  Was there last spring on the bike and it is fantastic. I got there just as the  lake was starting to melt.( Memorial day). Crowds were  big but that is also part of the fun. Lots of different people.  Yes, Beartooth Pass is something not to miss. Unfortunately, I didn't get to Glacier... that is my next trip.  Wink
Advertisement

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15114

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 08:12:32 am »

Glacier to Yellowstone could be done in one (boring) day. However, I'd take a couple of side roads:

http://goo.gl/maps/TPVNy

(sorry, the embed feature isn't working)

I recommend Rt 78 into Red Lodge, and the ride from Cody into the park is beautiful.

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
prodpac

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2014 FJR 1300ES
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 09:17:53 am »

Glacier to Yellowstone could be done in one (boring) day. However, I'd take a couple of side roads:

I recommend Rt 78 into Red Lodge, and the ride from Cody into the park is beautiful.

Why do you say the ride to or from Glacier park is boring? I was told it is an incredible ride?
I have rode all WY, just didn't have time to make it up to Glacier Nat'l park.
veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 167

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6790

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 09:39:04 am »

Highly recommended.

GTS road:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_345/gallery_554_345_560785.jpg

Beartooth:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_5298/gallery_554_5298_523431.jpg
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:54:46 pm by Mrs. DantesDame » Logged

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15114

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 12:53:00 pm »

Emphasis on "could", as in "you could just straightline it down the quickest roads for the shortest time". But I was trying to point out some of the more interesting side roads that are available  Cool

Glacier NP

Beartooth Pass

Rt 78

Chief Joseph Pass
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:57:19 pm by Mrs. DantesDame » Logged

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
jfman

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Versys 1000
Miles Typed: 92

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 01:15:53 pm »

Yellowstone disappointing?  I think not!  Crowds were  big but that is also part of the fun. Lots of different people.   Wink

Well have to agree to disagree.

If riding thru the crowds is your idea of fun then that might be the reason for our different take on the park. I remember riding at 30mph behind RVs and SUVs, people hitting the brakes everytime they see something that doesn't grow or roam in their backyards at home.

That being said I would like say that, in  my opinion, the park is still worth checking out but is not a motorcycling experience that I seek in my travels.

Here's a day report from my ride in june 2014.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24648832&postcount=2

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:20:01 pm by jfman » Logged
Magnarider
Adventure Kool-Aid Drinker

Reputation 3

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2014 BMW R1200GS
GPS: Blaine, Minnesota
Miles Typed: 945

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 03:08:51 pm »

I'd have to agree with DD that running between Glacier and Yellowstone can be exciting. Also, she's got a great picutre of Cheif Joseph Highway and that is a road NOT to be missed. Knightwing and my dad and I flew across Cheif Joseph Highway a few years ago and it was one of the best roads we hit on our trip. We hit it going from Yellowstone east towards Cody, and you'll be rewarded with that view after riding down the switchbacks on one side of the valley and then back up the other side. Then after that you get to ride down the other side so it makes for GREAT riding. You won't regret it! I liked it more than Beartooth since that pass is well known and tends to be full of traffic.

Every time the Gold Bond / monkey butt threads pop up it puts a smile on my face...just like being 13 and in sex ed class...priceless and juvenile yet informative and useful. - stewm_21
naustin

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '16 FJR
GPS: Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1410

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 02:05:42 pm »

Re: Glacier Nat'l Park
I rode Beartooth and Cheif Joseph on my way into Yellowstone and spent several nights in the park on the North side at Roosevelt Cabins.  From there, it was an easy day ride up to Glacier. I took hwy 89 all the way from Yellowstone through the Lewis and Clark forest and Great Falls and on to the eastern boundry of Glacier Park. We stayed in Glacier at two dog flats for 4 nights, hiked and mostly used the free busses to get around. Of course, the ride over GTS was mandatory the first day!

3B43

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 08 Yamaha FZ1/05 Gixxer 600 (track bike)
Miles Typed: 24

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 10:31:59 am »

I did Glacier in '10 and really enjoyed it. In September, I did Mt. Rainier and thought it was a way better ride then Glacier. Better views, roads, etc.  Just a thought.
Roadhound
Concours Rider

Reputation 12

GPS: Atlanta, Georgia
Miles Typed: 140

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 09:55:45 am »

I did Glacier in '10 and really enjoyed it. In September, I did Mt. Rainier and thought it was a way better ride then Glacier. Better views, roads, etc.  Just a thought.

I've got to agree with you on this one. I love Glacier but Mt Ranier National Park is amazing, the roads, the views, just wow.
I do think it's very important when riding thru the National Parks to get your head wrapped around the Ideal that you are riding in a Park. It's not meant to be a race track,  it is a Park for the enjoyment of all. Sometimes you hit the roads at just the right time and you can have a ball and enjoy the roads as you like , other times you just have to accept the situation kick back and enjoy what your seeing.

I'm a big fan of camping in the park, I get to pick the times I want to ride when there is less traffic and the roads a clear. You can ask the rangers they will give you some advise about the best travel times and the spots to avoid. Have a great trip, enjoy it all.
3B43

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 08 Yamaha FZ1/05 Gixxer 600 (track bike)
Miles Typed: 24

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 09:59:06 am »

When I 'touring', even though I ride a disguised superbike ('12 MultiStrada), I ride to enjoy the views and country. I did camp in Rainier Nt Park 1 night and then headed south to Mt St Helens. Next year is Beartooth and Dead Indian and then possibly south to Colorado.
Rattlehead
part of a dying breed- the stubborn DIY-er

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2005 Buell XB12R
Miles Typed: 377

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 12:13:55 pm »

Emphasis on "could", as in "you could just straightline it down the quickest roads for the shortest time". But I was trying to point out some of the more interesting side roads that are available  Cool

Glacier NP

Beartooth Pass

Rt 78

Chief Joseph Pass

That is some beautiful scenery.  EEK!  Inlove
We don't get such incredible visual stimulus here in the Midwest.  Sad

insert witty saying here.
Ponger

Reputation 2

Miles Typed: 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 12:51:14 pm »

Highly recommended.

Beartooth:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_5298/gallery_554_5298_523431.jpg

You've got one of those pictures too?
Nice!

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa254/Jponger/Ride%20pictures/D3A199C6-9D71-40ED-B3DF-20DF37893F9E_zpsjvmndjue.jpg

My Mom made cookies. Want some?
Red_Label

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2008 Yamaha FJR1300
Miles Typed: 39

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 02:25:51 pm »

Do not miss Beartooth Pass. Going to the sun road in Glacier opens late some years so make sure its gloing to be open when you visit.

Yellowstone itself might be disappointing on a motorcycling point of view.

Did I mention do not miss Beartooth Pass?

I live in Billings, and always enjoy riding the pass. I hope to do it this weekend. I was over the Bighorns last weekend.

My Beartooth pass pic. Taken the first week in June years ago, which also happened to be my first week on a sport bike. Kinda miss my old Kawi ZZR600, but the FJR that I have now is more suited to me in every way (except weight!).

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/walkerj_bil/RL2.jpg
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:32:09 pm by Red_Label » Logged
DosEquis00

Reputation 220

Motorcycles: 00 Blackbird, 08 C14
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 2966

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 08:48:01 pm »

I don't think any route to Glacier could be bad.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q35/DosEquis00/Bigsky/DSCN0658.jpg
naustin

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '16 FJR
GPS: Minnesota
Miles Typed: 1410

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 08:20:26 am »

Hwy 2 from the east all the way across northern Montana and NoDak has 3 curves in 1500 miles.  Lol Wink

DosEquis00

Reputation 220

Motorcycles: 00 Blackbird, 08 C14
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 2966

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 10:10:00 am »

Hwy 2 from the east all the way across northern Montana and NoDak has 3 curves in 1500 miles.  Lol Wink

I don't think people would expect curves crossing the northern prairie.  
DDFZ1

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2012 ZX14r
GPS: heber spgs,AR
Miles Typed: 66

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 12:44:54 am »

Hey, I'm going next week.
Be in St Mary July 26.
I'm thinking about camping at St Mary KOA campgrounds.
Has anyone stayed there?
This KOA serves breakfast (fee) and has a Grill in the evening.
I'm in a tent for 4 days in the area.
Any recommendations?
I read that the east side of the Sun Road is under construction; any news would help.
I tried to get to Glacier the 3rd week of Sept 2010, but the Snow won and Beartooth Hwy was reduced to dirt in places.

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal