Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Triumph Trophy SE
GPS: Escondido, CA
Miles Typed: 487

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 07:46:31 pm »

Great write up and glad you love the Trophy but I have to correct your comment about the RT service intervals. 6000 mile oil changes and 12000 mile valve checks on the new RT are not thousands of milea less than the Trophy 10k services and i bet you a six back if your favorite German beer the RT service time in shop hours is 30% less than the Triumph.

Well, as it happens, three services for every 20,000 miles on a BMW and two services for a Trophy works out to about $1,400 in service costs for the R1200RT in my local area, and about $1,300 for the Trophy. And let's not forget the $3,000 difference on the original purchase cost which, of course, also included. Triumph service costs would have to be significantly more costly than BMW service costs over time to overcome the the initial $3,000 price difference. This seems rather obvious to me, so I'm not sure why you're so assertive in complaining about the basis for my financial calculations.

Dale
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

marc11

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09
Motorcycles: 14 R1200RT - 02 XR400r
GPS: Orange County, NY
Miles Typed: 2743

My Photo Gallery

I drank the Kool-Aid; it gave me the runs.

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 08:03:34 pm »

$1400 for three oil changes and a valve check??? lol you're getting ripped off. And you validated my point a $100 freaking dollar differnce is signifigant maintenance cost difference, lol. 

Oh and I paid $19,995 for my 2014 RT and it has more options than the trophy, so that $3000 purchase price difference is not dependent on where you buy and the BMW resale wl be higher. 

Your math is flawed but hey if that is what YOU NEEDED to make yourself feel better about getting the trophy so be it.

Still don't know why you just can't say you liked the trophy better period. No one would have said boo.

From the North East?  Check out: www.northeastsporttouring.com
Volfy

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200
Miles Typed: 1081

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 09:40:34 pm »

I find all this financial rationalization rather amusing.  Motorcycle purchase is about as logical as Vulcans watching Disney on Ice.  Lol

Maybe Smiles per Mile is a better gauge, huh?
Advertisement

FJRider
My Preferred Pronouns are I/Told/You/So

Reputation 1755

GPS: Drifting through the Driftless
Miles Typed: 634

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 11:51:41 pm »

I find all this financial rationalization rather amusing.  Motorcycle purchase is about as logical as Vulcans watching Disney on Ice.  Lol

Maybe Smiles per Mile is a better gauge, huh?

Lol
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:59:32 pm by FJRider » Logged

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." -- Leo Tolstoy
DaleFranks
Motorcycle Afficionado

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '08

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 12:29:06 am »

lol

*ignore* lol

Dale
Silverbird

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: '16 FJR1300 '07 919
GPS: Failville, CO
Miles Typed: 1625

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 06:17:45 pm »

I could see how it handles better than an FJR, but VFR1200?   Headscratch
DaleFranks
Motorcycle Afficionado

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '08

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 09:23:36 pm »

I could see how it handles better than an FJR, but VFR1200?   Headscratch

Well, it's true. I rode it nearly every day for two years, and I have to say, while I'm not as harsh about the VFR1200 as Wes Siler is (https://rideapart.com/articles/honda-vfr1200f-riding-shamu-on-the-road) it just doesn't handle particularly well. It's slower that in should be at transitioning from side to side, almost any application of brake while leaning makes it stand up straighter than a soldier on parade, and it takes more effort than it should to push it into a turning line.

It's fast, and once you get used to it, it's a hoot to hoon around on, but it's noticeably porky. And it does, remember, weigh only 49 lbs. less than the Trophy in DCT spec.

Dale
Silverbird

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: '16 FJR1300 '07 919
GPS: Failville, CO
Miles Typed: 1625

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 10:07:22 am »

That's cray-cray, I've never ridden a bike that hides it's weight so well as the V12. Still not convinced.
Gary B.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJR1300A, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 722

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 10:39:11 pm »

My wife and I have been interested in one of these since they introduced it several years ago. What bothers me is the fact that even though they've been out for 3 model years, I have yet to see one on the road. It seems none are sold (at least in my area). I'm glad to see you like it! Congrats! Thumbsup

I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
Volfy

Reputation 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 09:34:54 pm »

What bothers me is the fact that even though they've been out for 3 model years, I have yet to see one on the road. It seems none are sold (at least in my area).

That's a big plus in my book!  It would bother me if I roll up next to an identical bike at every other red light.

Took my S3R in for state inspection today and they had a nice low miles '13 Trophy SE.  This one had the low seat at the lower position and I can almost flat foot both feet.  Very confidence inspiring and actually makes it feel lighter weight than it actually is.  In contrast, the K1200GT next to it was a bear to hoist off the sidestand, and it's supposedly lighter than the Trophy.  I still think the wethead RT is a better bike.  I'm just not sure the difference is worth the extra clams.  Besides, I am still very partial to triples.

My only complaint... the ergos is closer to Goldwing than anything deserving of a "sport" moniker.  Would have liked at least some forward lean, but I could get used to it.  I don't see it displacing the VFR1200F, but as a stable mate... hmm....
caddydaddy

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
GPS: Harlingen, Texas USA
Miles Typed: 1301

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 09:54:08 pm »

That's a big plus in my book!  It would bother me if I roll up next to an identical bike at every other red light.

That's one of the reasons I bought my Sprint.  You don't see many Triumphs on the road and not a lot of Sprints!  I also don't want to have the same bike as the guy next to me at the light.

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Dan K

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4226

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 10:54:12 am »

In all my riding in the Chicago area, I saw one other Sprint in a parking lot in Evanston, a few towns over from where I live.

I saw one VFR on a road near my house since 2010, and it happens to be a guy that was looking to sell (who I met up with, but couldn't come to terms on his much higher mileage ride).

I will be shocked to see anyone on the VFR.

As for the trophy vs. rt, people buy for different reasons. Brand, aesthetics, engine configuration, color...

I almost bought a ZX14 instead of the VFR, but I've never had a V4, whereas I've had twins, triples and I4's. I am hoping to keep this bike for a long while, but I'm not kidding myself that it won't get replaced some day when new bikitis strikes again (although I am thinking I'll keep my Tuono as long as I can keep it running....)

- Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
sprint_st
Let the Wookie Win

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 2014 FJR1300A
GPS: SC Upstate
Miles Typed: 2630

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 11:51:58 am »

three services for every 20,000 miles on a BMW and two services for a Trophy works out to about $1,400 in service costs for the R1200RT in my local area, and about $1,300 for the Trophy. And let's not forget the $3,000 difference on the original purchase cost which, of course, also included. Triumph service costs would have to be significantly more costly than BMW service costs over time to overcome the the initial $3,000 price difference.

$1400 for three oil changes and a valve check???
Oh and I paid $19,995 for my 2014 RT and it has more options than the trophy, so that $3000 purchase price difference is not dependent on where you buy and the BMW resale wl be higher.  

Comparing the service cost between BMW and Triumph is rather amusing.  I do my own maintenance and my GS was WAAAAAY easier to work on than any of my three Triumph triples.   Now if you think that your BMW is a paragon of reliability, you best do some research.  And you better get some extended maintenance on those new water cooled bikes because parts are super expensive and if it is something major, plan on being out of action for a while.  A long while.  Now I don't doubt you got an RT for right on $20K, but there are three BMW dealers around me and the only RT's that go for a dime under $20K have been demo's.  Most "new" were $22-23K.   Now you can get a new FJR in the $15-16k range and it will still be running when both the Beemer and Trumphet are in major overhaul.  Not saying my FJR will out perform either of the two bikes at the center of this discussion, but don't sell it short.

Just noted the comment on resale.   Reselling all bikes is a crap shoot. Triumphs have ALWAYS been underrated and BMW's have always been overrated.  That's all models and both brands.  It's a hard market out there now.  Depends on someone with cash actually knowing the bike they are buying and really wanting that particular model.  Just an opinion based upon selling my GS last April.  An RT is going to be particularly hard to sell for a "fair" price because most of the guys who buy them can afford a new one.  A lot of newer used RT's just sit.  Classic older RT's move pretty quick and are priced kinda low.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:02:59 pm by sprint_st » Logged

It AIN'T the destination, it's the RIDE!
marc11

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09
Motorcycles: 14 R1200RT - 02 XR400r
GPS: Orange County, NY
Miles Typed: 2743

My Photo Gallery

I drank the Kool-Aid; it gave me the runs.

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 03:36:26 pm »

Comparing the service cost between BMW and Triumph is rather amusing.  I do my own maintenance and my GS was WAAAAAY easier to work on than any of my three Triumph triples.   Now if you think that your BMW is a paragon of reliability, you best do some research.  And you better get some extended maintenance on those new water cooled bikes because parts are super expensive and if it is something major, plan on being out of action for a while.  A long while.  Now I don't doubt you got an RT for right on $20K, but there are three BMW dealers around me and the only RT's that go for a dime under $20K have been demo's.  Most "new" were $22-23K.   Now you can get a new FJR in the $15-16k range and it will still be running when both the Beemer and Trumphet are in major overhaul.  Not saying my FJR will out perform either of the two bikes at the center of this discussion, but don't sell it short.

Just noted the comment on resale.   Reselling all bikes is a crap shoot. Triumphs have ALWAYS been underrated and BMW's have always been overrated.  That's all models and both brands.  It's a hard market out there now.  Depends on someone with cash actually knowing the bike they are buying and really wanting that particular model.  Just an opinion based upon selling my GS last April.  An RT is going to be particularly hard to sell for a "fair" price because most of the guys who buy them can afford a new one.  A lot of newer used RT's just sit.  Classic older RT's move pretty quick and are priced kinda low.
Speculation on repair time and costs on a bike just a year old is just that speculation. People said the same thing about both my Ducatis and Aprilia and were wrong, never had to wait for a part more than a few days, almost nothing went wrong and parts needed from accidents or what have you were reasonable.

I don't buy in to internet chatter really as all you read are the bad stories about bikes of any brand.

If I wanted an FJR or C14 I would have gotten one, I didn't want those bikes. Personally I do not buy anything based on resale value it too is meaningless IMHO.

My point was, the cost between the two bikes was a few grand yes, and when the cost is that close, get the bike you really want.

While the RT does cost more, it offers more for that difference, like heated seat, GPS prep, hill start and shift assist, longer warranty, etc

Worth it to a buyer?  Personal decision, but when you buy a bike and then pain stakingly compare it to another bike, for reasons I cannot phathom, and the difference is just a few grand, I think you got the wrong bike.

The op could have made his review stand on its own merits, no need to compare it to the RT lMHO, especially when the con's listed against the rt, more frequent and expensive service are invalid.

As for reliability, well my last RT was pushing 40k when I traded it in with zero issues other than a bad fuel strip and its still going, my new one has a 42 month warranty and I see no reason to buy an extended warranty.

I know plenty of wethead GS bikes out there and many RT wetheads with 20, 30k or more miles with zero issues. I'm not worried, if I was I would have gotten the fjr and always wished I got an rt....

My only point....get the bike you WANT, forget cost, forget what people on the internet say, get what moves you. One day you will all stop riding and I for one would hate to look back with regret that I didn't get what I wanted for saving a few bucks.

BTW my bike was a buy back, had 493 miles on it, clean title, 42 month 36k warranty, loaded to the max, crash bars, GPS and hyperlites. I paid $19,495 and paid $500 to add the top case with brake light and central locking. But I would have paid full msrp for this bike in a heart beat, its that good.

From the North East?  Check out: www.northeastsporttouring.com
Gary B.

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJR1300A, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 722

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2015, 09:41:49 pm »

That's one of the reasons I bought my Sprint.  You don't see many Triumphs on the road and not a lot of Sprints!  I also don't want to have the same bike as the guy next to me at the light.

Said no Harley owner EVER!!! Lol

I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2015, 10:34:49 pm »

Said no Harley owner EVER!!! Lol
That's why they HAVE to bling them up so much.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2015, 10:21:40 am »

the initial $3,000 price difference.

I don't know how long you generally keep bikes, but I can tell you from experience (selling BMW and Triumph, not to mention the bath I took on my Sprint) that the depreciation/used market value on a Triumph is significant, and will mostly, if not completely cancel out the $3K difference in 4-5 years. Our used Triumphs (Sprint ST, Tiger) have stayed long (well over a season, some close to 3), and sold (been given away) for $1,500-2,000 below NADA... still have a Tiger I can't sell for more than $1,500 under. Same gen RT's are selling for NADA avg +$500, and I've flipped the last three I've taken in 1-8 days. I love the triples, but I'm in no hurry to buy one new again anytime soon, for financial reasons. We all have a way of prioritizing our metrics. Speed safe  Smile

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it…
Volfy

Reputation 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2015, 01:40:30 pm »

I don't know how long you generally keep bikes, but I can tell you from experience (selling BMW and Triumph, not to mention the bath I took on my Sprint) that the depreciation/used market value on a Triumph is significant, and will mostly, if not completely cancel out the $3K difference in 4-5 years. Our used Triumphs (Sprint ST, Tiger) have stayed long (well over a season, some close to 3), and sold (been given away) for $1,500-2,000 below NADA... still have a Tiger I can't sell for more than $1,500 under. Same gen RT's are selling for NADA avg +$500, and I've flipped the last three I've taken in 1-8 days. I love the triples, but I'm in no hurry to buy one new again anytime soon, for financial reasons. We all have a way of prioritizing our metrics. Speed safe  Smile

Same knife cuts both ways.  Both of my Triumphs were bought barely used at great prices.  Once they take the initial hit, used prices drop steadily from then on.  Tried my darnest to go BMW preowned many times... came close to pulling the trigger on a K1300S and an R1200R, but I always found my money went further with other bikes, even considering resale from my end.

Same applies to my car purchases.

I'll keep trying for BMW.  The new R1200RS is big on my radar.  Still, any price premium will need to be justified by tangible benefits and added value.  Paying more just for brand name isn't my thing.
Dan K

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4226

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2015, 01:48:13 pm »

Paying more just for brand name isn't my thing.

Clearly - you ride a Honda. (I sold my Brit bike for a Honda as well...kept my Aprilia tho...)

-Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
Volfy

Reputation 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2015, 01:57:04 pm »

Lol... any other Honda you might be right.  VFR1200 - my first and only Honda - is a rare exception... brilliantly engineered, piss poor marketed.  Most folks won't touch it with a 11ft pole... perfect for me.  Lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal