Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Why should we pay to attend motorcycle shows?  (Read 9376 times)

caasland

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2011 N1K, 2001 SV650
GPS: Curvy part of Minnesota
Miles Typed: 273

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2015, 10:46:23 am »

Am I nuts for thinking that we shouldn't have to pay to see what the manufacturers want to sell us?

EDIT: Can't seem to figure how to add a poll ...
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

slvrsprint

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger 800
GPS: Endicott, NY
Miles Typed: 378

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 11:28:00 am »

We can see the products at dealerships but at the shows we can see all brands at once.  We also get all the added attractions, celebrities, seminars, etc.  The venues for those huge shows are very expensive.  

I agree that we shouldn't have to pay to see what they are trying to sell us, but those shows wouldn't exist without entry fees.  It's the same with boats, campers, guns....

IBA #8027
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 89

GPS: NKY/mid-Tenn
Miles Typed: 1103

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 11:46:42 am »

Not to mention the costs to the promoters to rent the facilities, set up security, promote through advertising, solicite the dealers, manufactorers, and other businesses to attend.  Try setting up just a small local event and see how much time it takes just to round up some door prizes for the attendees.  The people that put these shows together work at it year round, putting in a lot of time and effort.  They deserve to make some money for their efforts, don't they?  

But the real reason we pay is because, we want to.  People that don't want to pay, don't go.  You can spend lots of time and money visiting dealers and shops, and still not see everything you can see at the shows, all in one place.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Advertisement

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15135

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 01:04:54 pm »

They deserve to make some money for their efforts, don't they?  

I was astounded at how much money per square foot that the VENDORS are charged just to have floor space to show you their stuff.  EEK!

So consider that the vendors pay just to be there, then WE pay to be there, and the vendors aren't getting any money from the ticket prices... I honestly wonder where the money is going.

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 7785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 03:22:46 pm »

I honestly wonder where the money is going.

Bigsmile

Like was posted above, it's everything in one place and it's a good excuse to get together with your riding friends.

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 06:38:25 pm »

It costs the promoter, Advanstar, a LOT of money to rent the event centers which each event is held.  It also costs them money to advertise the event.  Advanstar makes up for it by charging participants a nominal fee and vendors for being participating.  In addition, Advanstar works to obtain sponsors as another source of revenue.  I'm sure they make a profit at the end of the day.  They're not a non-for-profit / charity company.  

sprint_st
Let the Wookie Win

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 2014 FJR1300A
GPS: SC Upstate
Miles Typed: 2630

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 07:19:04 pm »

Econ 101, if there is a demand, somebody is going to fill it.  It gives us a destination usually when the weather sucks.    Because we want to look at bikes, drink beer and BS about bikes.  

Just an opinion.  IIRC been to shows in Cleveland, Philly, DC, Atlanta, Greenville, and Charlotte.  Several times for Cleveland and Atlanta.  IMO, each year they are getting worse.  Less bikes and even less farkles.

It AIN'T the destination, it's the RIDE!
caasland

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2011 N1K, 2001 SV650
GPS: Curvy part of Minnesota
Miles Typed: 273

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 12:17:48 pm »

There's no question there's a lot of demand, our show in Minneapolis is usually packed. No question that vendors pay a pile of money to display their wares. No question that vendors should make a profit (capitalism is generally a good thing, IMHO). I get that it costs money to sell stuff, but those expenses are usually built into the price of the thing being sold. When I go buy a bike from a dealer I don't have the bike's price + floor cleaning fee + building rental fee + lightbulb changing fee + salesman 401k fee etc. exposed ... it's just one price (don't get me started about "fuel surcharges" or the "minimum wage fee").

In years past we've purchased stuff at the shows and received a show discount ... 10% of gerbings liners or that RF1100 makes up for that admissions fee. As others have suggested, we've made it a day to hang with our cycle friends and lament our long winters. But the past three or four years have been a bit disappointing. There are less vendors selling quality boots, gloves, etc. For instance, both Lee Parks and Roadgear have been absent. Even MN"s own Aerostich is never here, despite being a three hour drive north. Most of the accessory/clothing vendors are selling chaps, fringe and fingerless gloves, when we want to try on race suits and full face helmets. In other words ... the value of what is at the shows is going down too. I share sprint_st's sentiment that the shows are getting worse. I'm hard pressed to recall any farkle-type vendors from last year, unless you count trike conversions.

This year we might just pile into a van and drive to the two or three main MC shops in the metro. We get to see most of the same bikes, there's a better selection of gear to try on, and that $46 is a good start to a nice pair of gloves or boots.

I'm honestly surprised that there is a demand for this at $16/ticket. In my opinion, $46 is beyond nomimal for my wife and I go ($10 for parking, never mind $30 if we eat there and $20 for a wheelchair rental if my sciatica is painful).

From the responses I'm seeing in this thread, most think the cost is justified and are happy to pay it. I guess that answers my question: I am nuts.
Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Reno, NV
Miles Typed: 7785

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 12:56:21 pm »

To be honest it's been almost 10 years since I last went to the show in the SF Bay Area when it was at the Santa Clara fairgrounds.  Went with about a dozen Region 1ers with breakfast beforehand.  A good day with lots of stuff to see. In years previous to that the show was held at the San Mateo fairgrounds and before that at the Cow Palace where they'd set up a SX or flat track course in the big auditorium and hold AMA local races. Now those were good shows.

I gather it's not like that anymore. Pity.

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
Doug Just Doug
Gabba Gabba Huh?

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS
GPS: Newark, Delaware
Miles Typed: 1006

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 01:53:48 pm »

IMO, each year they are getting worse.  Less bikes and even less farkles.

That's why I haven't attended the last 3-4 years even though I went to IMS Philly and DC for years.  
nater

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 11 Suzuki GSXR 750
GPS: Sioux Falls, SD
Miles Typed: 761

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 11:00:45 am »

If I lived right next to one, I would probably go.  However, the closest one is in Minneapolis, 5 hours away.

Sold:  06 Suzuki GSXR 750, 07 Suzuki SV 650S, 04 KTM 200EXC, 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 04 Honda CRF100, 94 Suzuki GS500E, 01 Kawasaki KLX 300R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal