Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Why should we pay to attend motorcycle shows?  (Read 15527 times)

kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 90

GPS: NKY
Miles Typed: 1136

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2021, 09:44:24 am »

Great explanation K

But Iím still not seeing it as good for me the consumer.  I can just go to a dealer or turn on the internet.  

Which is exactly the basic reason these shows are dying.  Consumers donít need them to shop for bikes or gear, and the retailers donít need them either, they can reach out to consumers more easily through the internet.

However....the demo rides ARE a valuable part of the dealer-consumer relationship.  They give consumers real world opportunities to try out bikes.  And since they are put on by the OEMís, it takes only the promise to supply some of the show labor on the part of the local dealers.   The CW shows are moving to this format this summer.  I havenít heard if there is going to be a door charge for those shows, and have no idea what kind of other retailers are going to be involved.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Prubert
I am HUGE in Japan

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Some sort of KTM
GPS: Waukesha, WI
Miles Typed: 976

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2021, 10:25:31 am »

KYZREX summed it up well and is spot on.

I have worked in the industry for 15 years on the OEM side and watched consumer habits change drastically over this time.  

The way we consume stuff has been altered in this new digital (and Mobile) age.   Back in the day if you wanted to learn about a bike and see it up close you would have to goto a dealer or a trade show.  Magazines were good, dealer brochures were limited and having everything in one place was a huge draw.

In the digital age you can do 95% of your research sitting in your underwear at home. The draw of the bike shows have lost their demand.  The death spiral started when the vendors figured out they can get a better ROI with a well designed website and some decent Search Engine Marketing.  That left the eyeglass cleaner, do-rag & cheap leather flea market vendors that drove people away.

Add Covid on top of that and the promoters need to move on and fired out whatís next. The outdoor show will be interesting to see how they run it.  Hopefully they just donít take the indoor show and put it in a big parking lot. They do have an opportunity to provide the one thing we canít get online now...a chance to lay our hand on he product.  That is still a big part of the purchase decision and figuring out how to best so this is toning to be key.  

Prubert
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 83

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15304

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2021, 01:34:38 pm »

KYZREX summed it up well and is spot on.

Thumbsup  Yep

In the digital age you can do 95% of your research sitting in your underwear at home. The draw of the bike shows have lost their demand.  The death spiral started when the vendors figured out they can get a better ROI with a well designed website and some decent Search Engine Marketing.  That left the eyeglass cleaner, do-rag & cheap leather flea market vendors that drove people away.

I used to man a booth at the Seattle IMS. It was a lot of fun back then (late 90s, early 2000's). Many people wandering around the booths that had real products and interesting displays. The big manufacturers always had their best new models on hand to sit on and get the specs on. Private people brought in their bikes for a showcase, presentations were made in some cases. All-in-all, it was  great, well-rounded experience.

When I moved east and attended the NYC IMS show, I was disappointed with the high-level of "American Iron" and crappy home designs, the vendors who were selling basically crap, and a few tour operators. The crowds had become overwhelming and I felt that the entire experience had really lost its original niche. I can't imagine that I'll attend another one anytime soon, regardless of Covid.

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Advertisement

Baz

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 9064

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2021, 02:21:22 pm »

I have always enjoyed the opportunity to look at all the manufacturers items under one roof, and my buddies and I have always turned it into a social event, so it has always been like the boys getting together in a bar. I have never enjoyed spending the 15 bucks admittance & 18 dollar parking charge however. (Not counting the meal and bar tab after the show).

A while ago I met this great old Serbian guy who has been selling Ford cars since immigrating here 10 years or so ago. He told me jokingly that about 90% of the people who walk in the dealership door now know way more about the vehicles he sells than he does thanks to the internet. I sure this is true with Motorcycles.

As a marketing guy for many years I always look around at the crowds of these trade shows and one thing I couldn't help to notice was the older demographic of the public at bike shows. The last one I was at, you really had to struggle to see anyone under 40, and the average age was probably closer to 60. I said to myself how many of these folks are here looking at the possible last bike they will buy? The home & garden shows, the RV shows have a much greater age spread in the crowd.

I like to think of myself as a pretty spry 60 something however slowly some of my friends are or will be retiring their rides in the next few years just due to health reasons. You know, those mall scooter people should be setting up shop at bike shows to divert some client base.  Lol

Prubert
I am HUGE in Japan

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: Some sort of KTM
GPS: Waukesha, WI
Miles Typed: 976

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2021, 04:07:01 pm »

You know, those mall scooter people should be setting up shop at bike shows to divert some client base.  Lol

I think H-D is already working on that.   

Prubert
rajflyboy

Reputation 376

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 2181

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2021, 05:47:24 pm »

But the real nonsense is dealers trying to add 2000$ on top of the price of a motorcycle.   New DRZ400 sm for 6000 msrp and the thiefís give you an out the door price of $8000

I basically just tell them  Twofinger

And why I have not bought a new bike in a while

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separatelyĒ
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal