Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Harley's 103 ci, 110 ci, and the new Indian Reliability...  (Read 4388 times)

deagle10

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '09, '11
Motorcycles: 2014 FJR, 08 FJR (sold), 01 Shadow 1100, 04 FJR (sold), 2005 Yamaha Zuma (fun!)
GPS: Michigan
Miles Typed: 272

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:42:35 am »

The group I ride with is mostly Harley riders.  They love their bikes and jokingly give me a constant hard time about riding a non-Harley.  Three of the riders bought the Harley CVO with the 110 upgrade engine.  They are attractive bikes and very expensive.  Two of them have been in the shop more than out of the shop.  The third one is only about 6 months old and blew a head gasket on a trip last year.  That is his first repair and he still loves the bike.  The other two, after years and years of Harleys and upgrading to new bikes every few years, are fed up.  The one already bought a new Indian, and the other is buying one this Spring.  The other Harley guys in our group have the 103 ci motors mostly and a few 96 ci motors.  I have not seen any problems with those at all.  

So my question, does the 110 ci engine have more problems in general than the others?  I seem to remember there being some additional heat and issues with the 110's, but thought I'd ask here.

My next question would be about the 111 ci Indian engine......I believe it's also air cooled.  Does anyone have any real world reliability regarding the new Indian?

Sidenote:  I don't know anyone that has the new Harley's with the partial liquid cooling.  Maybe that's the fix coming for the 110 ci?

Just wondering what kind reliability issues I'm in for this Summer on some group rides.....

Thanks.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 02:26:08 pm »

The FJR should be fine.  Wink

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
BobW

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: r1200rs
GPS: Morganton, NC
Miles Typed: 594

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 03:26:37 pm »

I wouldn't worry over either the Indian nor HD choices. The Indian doesn't have the accumulated miles being fairly new, but by all accounts I haven't read of any reason for concern.

The HD keeps getting big $$ and technology thrown at it to keep it competitive and even with my HD riding friends sharing similar stories as yours, they will get it sorted. Too much $ at stake and competition is more realistic now days so I expect they will continue to do what they do best, keep the faithful, faithful.

BTW, after riding and tire kicking I picked up a Victory CrossRoads for my "Made in America" choice just because. I really don't think you find bad bikes these days, but quality control continues to nag be it a BMW key fob or water pump, fjr side stand or ignition switch, poor gasket or wiring loom on HD, etc., etc., etc. They can all have a problem, but I have ridden across country on aprilia to Victory (guess I need to find a Zundapp to make that work better  Lol) and never been stranded. I do my proper prep and had offers to help service (fluids, tires, chains, etc.) my very "off" brand bikes at Honda, Harley and BM shops, so enjoy the ride, smile and rack up some miles together.

Cheers

Retired and loving it.
Advertisement

DosEquis00

Reputation 220

Motorcycles: 00 Blackbird, 08 C14
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 2966

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 07:03:03 pm »

I would not worry about Indian reliability as their big v-twin is a beast and sounds fantastic.  
FBRR

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: Harley V Rod, Harley Dyna(gone) ..Kawasaki C14( GONE)
Miles Typed: 755

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 01:14:11 pm »

Having "watched" engine development. The 110 had many more issues than the 96 or 103!!!
Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 02:16:58 pm »

The HP vs $$ ratio keeps me from buying either, not to mention the nearly half ton weight of those behemoths even before they're loaded for touring but I gotta say that Indian motor is beautiful!

Ride em if ya got em...
DrMikey

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: 2003 R1150RT, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
GPS: SW Cheddar Country
Miles Typed: 871

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 03:34:04 pm »

10,600 miles on my 2014 Indian and nary a hiccup.  Rode it to New Hampshire in June (3300 mi in a week), and did a saddlesore 1K last weekend. Going in for 10K service next weekend.  No oil usage, tires and belt doing fine.
coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps (PNW)
Miles Typed: 2758

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 09:06:45 pm »

The HP vs $$ ratio keeps me from buying either, not to mention the nearly half ton weight of those behemoths even before they're loaded for touring but I gotta say that Indian motor is beautiful!

Horsepower to dollars is not the measure of a bike. My 16hp 200 was more dollars per pony than my 109hp 1100. What makes a bike feel 'performance-y' is how it makes the power, not just how much it's capable of making at the optimum rpm. You won't see, need or want that on the street anyway.

It's a motorcycle, not an investment. Just buy the one that gives you wood.

"Always be yourself. Unless you suck, then be somebody else."

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 09:49:51 pm »

Don't tell me what I want or need on the street.  You state your opinion like its a fact.

Ride em if ya got em...
coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps (PNW)
Miles Typed: 2758

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 10:21:07 pm »

Okay, then.

Carry on.

"Always be yourself. Unless you suck, then be somebody else."

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
veefer800canuck
Nicky Hayden stole my childhood!

Reputation 167

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada, EH?
Miles Typed: 6790

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 07:23:11 am »

PMS season is upon us early this year apparently.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal