Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2015 National - Wisconsin: September 8-10  (Read 24341 times)

Cricket1

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJ09
GPS: Ohio
Miles Typed: 798

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 12:15:22 pm »

Tuesday September 8 through Thursday, September 10, 2015.  Arrive on or after Monday afternoon, Sep 7.
LaCrosse, Wisconsin.

Those dates sound great!  Any word on possible hotel options in Lacrosse?

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Winston Churchill
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '10
GPS: Thunder Bay Ontario
Miles Typed: 1557

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 09:12:15 pm »

Basket and I have stayed at the Settle Inn in LaCrosse a couple of times on the way to Madison.  It's a nice hotel, right near an excellent Italian restaurant that has some of the best pizza in Wisconsin and a great selection of beers.  Might work.  

"Gender Box"...Rocketbunny
"but in reality the optimal pace can only be confirmed in hindsight"...Gene
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 10:10:16 am »

Consider me interested. I have that Friday off, so I only need to burn 3 vacation days to do this. I have always wanted to ride the alphabet roads...

Four days to get there via the UP (Sat-Tue), ride alphabet roads on Wed, four days to get home via Canukistan (Thu-Sun). Might be able to spend two days (Wed/Thu) riding locally if I can find a shorter way home that minimizes slab.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:29:24 am by garry » Logged

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Advertisement

Cheddarhead
Today, we wonder of yesterday...and worry about tomorrow...

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '68 CL 350, '81 CB 750 Custom, '03 ST1300, '03 BMW F650 GS
Miles Typed: 3228

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 04:38:51 pm »

Keep in mind that Labor Day weekend it the time in Wisconsin when many people close their "up North" summer cabins for the winter and bring the boats home. The traffic will be abnormally heavy that weekend. Imagine cars with boat trailers. Lots of them.

This is only going to be an issue if you're on the slab...I-94 from Mn/StP, I-39 from N Central WI, or I-43 from Green Bay...

Since "all" of the good roads north of the Cheddar Curtain are "Alphabet" Roads...there will (hopefully) few denizens of ST-N land found on the I system...unless they're making time / heading home.  Even less of an issue since most of the meet will be mid-week instead of the weekend.

(Since I'm at work / sitting in an endless conference call / bored silly, I'm going to list some "tourist - type" places to go / things to do...which "might" in turn become the basis for a days' riding hereabouts.  so...in "no" particular order...)
1.  Great River Road / C9Y:  Roads on the eastern and western shores of the Mississippi River.  From La Crosse down to Dubuque and back.  Great roads / great riding...great food, too.  Pizza at the Roadhouse and Pork Tenderloin sandwiches (as big as a Frisbee...but much tastier!)
2.  Bayfield:  Not exactly local...Bayfield is on the southern shore of Lake Superior...but it's very scenic, and might make a great place to do a pre or post ST-N gathering gathering...if you know what I mean.  County roads will likely be more "sweepers" than tight / technical strafing runs.  After Labor Day (and especially mid-week) traffic will be almost all locals (as opposed to crowds of tourists towing boats / trailer queens).  Lots of camping and dining options.  Can stretch this into 2 days (or more) by turning right at the Lake and touring the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  I'd highly recommend this route / option for anybody coming from the East Coast....especially since almost everything south of Lake Erie and north of the Ohio River is flat / straight / boring / lousy roads / toll roads / too much traffic density to be enjoyed.  Could also swing west to Duluth to call at Aerostich...those continuing east from the UP can also cross the Mackinac Bridge and ride the terrific roads in the NW corner of the lower peninsula of Michigan.  M-22 is every bit as good as it is reputed to be!
3.  Milwaukee / the Harley Davidson Factory and Museum:  OK...so lots of "ST-N-ers" don't own / ride / particularly like H-D's...still there is no denying that H-D is a dominant force in Motorcycling...and the museum is well-worth a visit.  Might be able to arrange something just for the ST-N group...as long as they don't ask what we'll be riding when we roll up, that is!
4.  EAA / Oshkosh:  90 minutes due north from Milwaukee, Oshkosh is home to the "Experimental Aircraft Association" and has a wonderful site.  Along with the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, Wright-Patterson AF Base, and the Kennedy Space Center, it's a "must-see" destination for anybody who has a passion for aviation...and who amongst us doesn't?
5.  Green Bay / Lambeau Field:  Home of the PACKERS.  'nuff said?  Great Museum and legendary "Frozen Tundra..."  (hopefully not quite frozen in early September!
6.  The TWAT:  For those who like to "...rub some dirt on it..." there is a route from the WI / IL Border up through to Lake Superior...suitable for D/S riders.  A mix of county roads / secondary roads / off-road riding.
7.  Road America / Elkhart Lake:  One of the finest "road courses" in NA...easily the best for 500 miles or more.  Looks like there is an "open" Track Day scheduled for the 6th, if anybody wants to come in early.  http://www.roadamerica.com/events.html
8.  Blackhawk Farms Raceway:  Looks like MotoVid is hosting Track Days at Blackhawk on Sunday 6 September and Monday 7 September.  Camping on-site is free...the facilities are excellent.  Many R4 members have run at Blackhawk each season.  Groups are limited in size / # of riders and are slotted by skills / ability level.  My personal # passes / # passed is something like 1 / infinity, but I had an awesome time and this would be a hoot to do with a bunch of ST-N friends.  Bikes need not be dedicated track bikes...or even safety wired...at least not in the "Clydesdale" / Tortoise group I rode with.  All that was required was to remove / cover brake lights / mirrors etc...

Meeting is about to end...and, from the funny look I just got, I'm sure I missed a question that was posed to me...oh well!

Finally...although I know that it is [email protected] near sacriligeous to suggest this...I'll do so anyway.  If anybody has interests in both street and trail / gravel riding, feel free to trailer in your steed(s) of choice.  I'm sure that I can accommodate a trailer or three in my back yard for several days...especially since I won't be there to listen to the whining 'cause I'll be out riding with you all!  I'm about 30 miles due west of Milwaukee, and less than two miles off of I-94 so access to / from will be easy - peasy!
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 08:51:31 pm »

LaCrosse is an excellent start point to visit some of the best riding I've ever seen.  Between LaCrosse and Madison is filled with great roads and great places to stop.  The Great River Rd takes you to Potosi where there's an excellent local brewery and pub.  Across the ridges east of Potosi and to Ontario WI is an incredible ride.  There's no end to the really nice day rides that can be mapped from LaCrosse.

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15115

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 01:10:45 am »

:popcorn:

I'm ready to update the first post as soon as someone makes a decision. Why don't you (the proverbial "you") call up the Settle Inn and see what kind of rates they have. They *may* offer a discount for the group, but it would really depend on how many are planning to come.

Let's go!

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
bucktownbilly

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '15 - ? 2008 FJR; '15-? 2015 FJ 09; '14-? 2013FZ8; '09-'15 2009 FZ6 (black); '11-'14 2002 CB 919;'04-'10 2004 FZ6 (silver); '98-'03 BMW F650; '95-'97 Suzuki 650DR
Miles Typed: 556

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 04:47:18 pm »

3.  Milwaukee / the Harley Davidson Factory and Museum:  OK...so lots of "ST-N-ers" don't own / ride / particularly like H-D's...still there is no denying that H-D is a dominant force in Motorcycling...and the museum is well-worth a visit.  Might be able to arrange something just for the ST-N group...as long as they don't ask what we'll be riding when we roll up, that is!

Might want to grab a drink at Iron Horse Hotel after #3 listed here.  Motorcycle themed hotel that has a great patio (it's nicer than a patio) for a brew.  
Dan K

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: '10 VFR1200F, '03 Aprilia Tuono RSV
GPS: North of Chicago (flat lands w/no twisties)
Miles Typed: 4219

My Photo Gallery

I'm only here to help. Really.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 05:36:34 pm »

IT's about 4.5 hours away on the slab... I will do my damnedest to make the big dinner, assuming there is one, and a ride the following morning/day (hopefully, it goes south...)

THanks for setting this up.

-Dan

Sometimes the only answer is defenestration. - Dan K
Cricket1

Reputation 35

Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJ09
GPS: Ohio
Miles Typed: 798

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 12:51:44 pm »

Basket and I have stayed at the Settle Inn in LaCrosse a couple of times on the way to Madison.  It's a nice hotel, right near an excellent Italian restaurant that has some of the best pizza in Wisconsin and a great selection of beers.  Might work.  

So, any other research on the Settle Inn?

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Winston Churchill
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 08:51:16 pm »

I can call them and forward some prices.  I still don't know if I can make it there tho, so I'm not going to take the role of organizer.  

DrMikey

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2003 R1150RT, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
GPS: SW Cheddar Country
Miles Typed: 871

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2015, 09:52:24 am »

I can call them and forward some prices.  I still don't know if I can make it there tho, so I'm not going to take the role of organizer.  

I'll be going to LaX multiple times this weekend and next week, I'll stop by.
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2015, 04:42:59 pm »

Allrighty then.  That's great.

bucktownbilly

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '15 - ? 2008 FJR; '15-? 2015 FJ 09; '14-? 2013FZ8; '09-'15 2009 FZ6 (black); '11-'14 2002 CB 919;'04-'10 2004 FZ6 (silver); '98-'03 BMW F650; '95-'97 Suzuki 650DR

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2015, 11:44:51 am »

Sudden turn of fortune, may be able to sneak over for a night.  Tuesday if all goes right.  Can we make sure the route on Wednesday goes SE towards Chicago.  Pretty please!

How many people usually show for the National?
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2015, 11:57:26 am »

How many people usually show for the National?

Between 0 and 73  Bigok

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
DrMikey

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2003 R1150RT, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
GPS: SW Cheddar Country
Miles Typed: 871

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 08:24:02 pm »

So, I checked out a few LaCrosse motels.  The Best Western is willing to reserve a block of rooms for us, at $79.95 per night, Sep 7-10.  Location is great- a mile or two south of I-90 on US53/WI35.  They have nice facilities, meeting rooms (already reserved one for Wednesday night 9/9), indoor pool, bar, restaurant, and outdoor deck.  It is on the river.  

Here's a link to their website:  http://bestwesternwisconsin.com/hotels/best-western-riverfront-hotel

The contract has to be finalized, but the preliminaries are in place.  The conference room has a $200 fee, but every meal ordered by a guest at the dinner counts toward the fee.  So, it may be a week or two before you can start reserving rooms, but we now have accomodations.

Next, rounding up door prizes.
jimmy

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: 2004 VFR-A
GPS: Hamilton, ON Canada
Miles Typed: 590

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2015, 10:31:50 pm »

Ooh, water slides!
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 77

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2015, 01:35:19 pm »

First post updated with hotel information!!

Member since 2003
bucktownbilly

Reputation 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 11:25:24 am »

The Black River Tiki bar at the hotel might come into play Beerchug
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4574

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2015, 04:51:07 pm »

At some points in the past, that patio bar even had live music. Looks like a good choice, not sure if my budget and/or available free time will coincide, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and hoping...
 Bigok

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
Cheddarhead
Today, we wonder of yesterday...and worry about tomorrow...

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '68 CL 350, '81 CB 750 Custom, '03 ST1300, '03 BMW F650 GS
Miles Typed: 3228

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2015, 06:08:51 pm »

...on the Calendar for me!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal