Poll
Question: For those who ARE intending to attend the 2015 ST-N National Meet in La Crosse WI...what activities would you be interested in attending / participating in?  (Voting closed: July 14, 2015, 10:34:31 am)
Monday:  Track Day at Blackhawk Farms - 0 (0%)
Tour H-D Museum  MKE - 1 (33.3%)
Visit to Aerostich  Duluth MN - 1 (33.3%)
Visit EAA Museum  Oshkosh WI - 0 (0%)
Track Day at Road America  Elkhart Lake WI (Monday) - 1 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: ST-N National Suggestions  (Read 924 times)

Cheddarhead
Today, we wonder of yesterday...and worry about tomorrow...

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '68 CL 350, '81 CB 750 Custom, '03 ST1300, '03 BMW F650 GS
Miles Typed: 3228

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2015, 10:34:31 am »

So...getting pretty excited about the upcoming National Meet here in La Crosse, WI the week of 7 September.  Thought I'd try to gauge interest in setting up one or two events that folks might be interested in participating in.

I'd ask that you vote "only" if you are planning to attend...

Also...although the National Meet is scheduled to run beginning on Tuesday 8 September, we have two facilities in the area that are sponsoring Motorcycle TRACK Days on Monday 7 September...so anybody who is interested / inclined could come out a day early and do a Track Day as part of the "Nationals" experience.
A word (or several) about Track Days:
This is NOT a race...but it's a great way to hone your skills and get immediate feedback from highly experienced riders who will follow you / lead you through the course...if you want it.
Riders are grouped according to skills set and experience.  
Minimal mods to your road bike are required...typically this means covering your headlamp / tail lamp / turn signals and removing panniers etc.  I did my one-and-only track day (so far) on my ST1300...which I rode to and from the track that day.
ATGATT is required.  Helmets / jackets / gloves / pants / boots.  Need not be leathers...I rode in textiles.
TRACK Days are run by professional Event companies...they seem to be well-run / well-organized.  Typically have video (both on-track and stationary) and photography taken throughout the day for you to purchase if you so desire.
Food / beverage / restroom facilities at both locations are available and good.
Ambulance was on-site for the TD I did...thankfully it wasn't needed.
We "may" be able to get a group rate if interest is high enough...TBD.

Two Facilities:
Blackhawk Farms:  Beloit area.  200 miles from La Crosse.  Has (free) camping on-site for TD participants, and several local motels in the area.  Track is well-paved.  Flat Track.  No significant elevation changes or banked corners.  Good pit areas / Viewing areas.  R4 has many participants who do TD's here yearly.  If we did a TD here on Monday, the ride up to La Crosse on Tuesday would be through some of the finest riding in the Upper Midwest...through the Driftless area etc.  
http://www.blackhawkfarms.com/

Road America:  Easily one of the Top 10 Road Courses in NA (in the same class as Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, Atlanta, etc).  Longer course with lots of elevation changes.  I have attended races here, but have never done a TD here.  Don't know about on-site camping...but there are motels close by.  Also 200 miles from La Crosse.
http://www.roadamerica.com/

Other Destinations:
Harley-Davidson Museum:
 In downtown Milwaukee.  215 miles or so from La Crosse.  Could do this (out and back) in one day, although it'll mean mostly Interstate riding to make time.  Might be a better choice as an activity for the first or last day, so that anybody attending from the South or East can use this as a waypoint to / from the National.  Good riding (Northern and Southern Kettle Moraine forest) 45 minutes west or north of Milwaukee.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/museum/visit/visitor-information.html?source_cd=SEM_Museum_PPC&_cr=ppc|Google|Tourism|Tourism|hd%20museum%20milwaukee%20wi

Aerostich Tour:  In Duluth MN.  240 miles from La Crosse.  Likely to require an overnight, unless this was the "destination" for Tuesday AM arrivals.  Duluth is on the shore of Lake Superior.  Good riding in the area if this is an overnight trip.
https://www.aerostich.com/

EAA Museum  (Experimental Aircraft Association):   In Oshkosh, WI.  150 miles from La Crosse.  Hosts the worlds largest "Fly-in" each year in mid-July.  A small scale version of the Air and Space Museum.  Lots of interesting stuff, both about the history of flying and about those folks crazy enough to actually built and fly their own aircraft.  Could be done (out and back) in a single day...roads to and from La Crosse are county highways / country roads...typically in good shape, but not as interesting (twisty / elevation changes, etc) as the area around / south of La Crosse.
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-museum

Also...Note that I haven't yet confirmed hours for the Museums and / or availability of spaces for Track Days at Blackhawk or RA.  I'll do so after we see the results of the poll / get feedback from the group.  Thanks!

So...what says the collective?   Headscratch  Feel free to add comments about your choices etc...don't be bashful!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:06:37 pm by Cheddarhead » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 01:30:30 pm »

At some point I would like to do a track day on my new 1190, but it's not practical (for me) as part of long trip (no sticky rubber, no leathers, no way home if I wad it up). For me, I'd rather ride good twisties all day and BS/hang out in the evening. Interesting idea though for people that are more local.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal