Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Germany to Ukraine  (Read 2139 times)

KHBeowulf

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: BMW F800GS
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2015, 04:51:16 pm »

US rider here looking for some information about a trip.

Has anyone done a Germany to Ukraine trip? Gathering up as much information, as I can for making this enjoyable. Not going to rent, having my bike shipped over for the 3 weeks there. Was cheaper in the long run.

Looking for information on anything else I would need outside the normal, insurance, passport?

Regards,
Bryan
BMW 2013 F800GSA
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 10:22:11 am »

I went to Romania in 2005 and the Ukraine required entry visas then.

I don't know if things have changed.

PatM

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT 2016
GPS: Montreal, Canada
Miles Typed: 994

My Photo Gallery

On the road again

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 12:10:00 pm »

If you don't have one, get an ATM or Charge Card that has a an embedded chip and requires a PIN, like this one:

You will find ATMs almost everywhere.
Lots of gas stations are unattended at certain hours. Most accept cash or credit cards with PINs.

Ride safe!
Advertisement

KHBeowulf

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:13:31 am »

Got the card, so good there. Will check on the entry Visa.

Thanks for the information.
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 05:49:02 am »

Um, maybe I'm being clueless, but are you sure you want to head into a (nominally) war zone? There are a lot of other places off the usual ho-hum Alps. Dolomites, etc. beaten track.

BTW, how are you shipping the bike (company, ports, cost)? Also, how are [you] handling insurance?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 06:12:01 pm by RBEmerson » Logged

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Aero
Italophile

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: '99 Ducati ST2
GPS: Was Ontario, now Gloucestershire, UK
Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 06:29:09 am »

As long as you stay in the Western part you will be OK. I know someone who visited Kiev recently and found the people to be very friendly and probably thankful that not everyone has been scared off by the conflict in the East. There is still some fighting around Donetsk and Luhansk, the ethnic Russian part, but that is a long way from Kiev. It's a shame that Crimea is now a part of Russia, I would like to go there but although there is no fighting there now I suspect the hassle would not be worth it. I suspect the people would still be very welcoming though, their tourist industry has been hit very hard by the Russian annexation.

You should not anthropomorphize machines. They don't like it.Cool
Confucius says:
"Forget about the past, you cannot change it. Forget about the future, you cannot predict it. Forget about the present, I didn't get you one."
KHBeowulf

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 12:29:13 am »

Not worried about the conflict at all. Just looking to start west at Bremerhaven, then head east to Kiev. Going south to Odessa, then west back to Bremerhaven.

Planned out the shipping with cost there back to port in US. Got the maps, planning route, gear together, passport, credit card, insurance covered, green card for bike.

Still working on some other details.

Bryan
Semper Fi
sport_maniac
mr

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Yamaha
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 12:47:43 pm »

I went fron Uk to Poland. Awesome, the best trip ever. There was 5 of us. When you get to Germany( best roads in europe) just keep going. There is no speed limit, the road are 4 lines
There was no problem with passport, we been checked only on British/French border before taking ferry. Insurance- you should get European health card its free and you can use it in every country in europe.
Enjoy your trip

Mark Martman
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 08:48:57 am »

A friend's wife is from the Ukraine. She was there last summer and found things were pleasant. NTL I can think of lots of other places I'd check out first: Poland, Czech Republic, Slovenia, along the Adriatic (as described in Lightcycle's RR's).

To be accurate, even the German autobahn system has its speed limits, although there are stretches of no limit. There are more limited sections than free sections, though. Speed enforcement is getting smarter - head-on cameras can't do much with bikes (no front plates), but "front & back" cameras are coming on line. 'Course, with a US plate in front of them, camera reading officials will give up - "no plate I know." In some countries, notably Switzerland, it's "pay on the spot" as Herr (or Frau) Polizist stands out in the road waving you down. Speeding doesn't come cheap. Have a nice day.  :)

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal