zer0netgain

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6403

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2015, 10:21:42 am »

Looking at buying a BMW.  The R1200RS in particular.

What am I looking at in terms of ownership cost (maintenance/repairs)?  How hard is it to do your own work as to avoid the cost of putting it in the shop?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:56:50 am by Orson » Logged

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

cruisin
just cruisin

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: '79 R80/7 '00 R1200C '00 R1100RT '00 R1100S
GPS: Fritch, Tx
Miles Typed: 457

My Photo Gallery

cruisin Texas--mostly between the fence rows ;)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 05:43:41 pm »

Pre-2002 are the easiest to work on and seem to have fewer nagging problems than later models.  If you have wrenched other bikes and have a shop manual, the 1100RS should be no problem for you.  There are a lot of used parts out there on the net so shop around with your computer before paying new OEM prices on anything.

Parting out '97 & '98 R1100RT
Fudge
Cam Hed

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: R1200R
GPS: Far from Mountains
Miles Typed: 334

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 06:15:19 pm »

Having just completed the 12K on my R1200R I would say a boxer motor is easy to maintain yourself.  I think if you have at least a basic understanding of do it yourself maintenance you could do 90% of the work.  The most difficult service is the valve adjust (12K interval).  IMHO if you choose to have the dealer do the valve adjust the cost should still be reasonable since the jugs are hanging out in the breeze so the valves are easy to access.  Lots of do it yourself videos for the boxer series that will help you.

You'll need a good Torx tool kit, torque wrench and I would suggest a GS-911.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:43:54 pm by Fudge » Logged
Advertisement

coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps (PNW)
Miles Typed: 2758

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 08:56:55 pm »

Good source of new, new-take-off and pre-enjoyed parts and accessories. Also oil change kits, O rings and brake pads and stuff. Some of it is cheaper elsewhere, some of it is not. Customer service is darned fine.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/

"Always be yourself. Unless you suck, then be somebody else."

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
zer0netgain

Reputation 29

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 05:59:53 am »

I'm wondering because my CBR1100XX is pretty much bulletproof.  The more involved maintenance checks aren't "critical" and can wait until you have a few months over the winter to pull stuff apart to get to them.  It's not known to have ANY service needs that justify going into a shop if you're handy with tools and have the shop manual.

I wouldn't want to buy something that requires regular runs to a service department for work requiring specialized tools too expensive to obtain for yourself or involve work too involved for a person to do absent a HIGH mechanical aptitude.

For example...If I took a BIG trip, I'd be looking at 9,000 miles at one shot.  That means planning maintenance checks so they fall before or after the trip.  During would be problematic unless it's 100% safe to just ignore them for a decent span of mileage (some machines are more picky about such things compared to others).

mxvet57
Let's find some twisty's

Reputation -56

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 04 FJR1300 06 SPEED TRIPLE 88 EX500 05 YZ250 01 YZ 250 91 KX 500
GPS: Mt. prospect ill.
Miles Typed: 15846

My Photo Gallery

Loud horns save lives

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:41:41 am »

Get an FJR.  couch   298,000 and going strong.

Hasn't seen a service department in 7 years. And that was for warranty work.

Joking aside, The older bikes are so much easer to work on. Less electronics to go bad. Like anything you just have to learn on your own. And a service manual is a must.

It's not the fall that will kill you it's that sudden stop

04 FJR 1300 1/4 million mile club and then some.
Volfy

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200
Miles Typed: 1081

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 10:17:02 am »

Almost pulled the trigger a few times but not a BMW owner... yet.  With most engines, valve clearance check is the bigger maintenance headache to me.  It's big enough of a tedious job that I dread doing it myself, but I don't like paying the dealer service dept beaucoup buck to do it either.  This is one major advantage of the boxer engine.  Even with the waterheads, it should still be an easy job.
Fudge
Cam Hed

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: R1200R
GPS: Far from Mountains
Miles Typed: 334

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 04:42:13 pm »

The valve adjustments are not an issue with the cam head and later model change to 'semi-sphere' (shim).  The valves rarely need adjustment, I changed two shims at 6K and none at 12K.  Intervals are now at 12k for the LC.

The boxer motor isn't really a highly tuned motor so timely checks aren't 'critical' either.
cruisin
just cruisin

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: '79 R80/7 '00 R1200C '00 R1100RT '00 R1100S
GPS: Fritch, Tx
Miles Typed: 457

My Photo Gallery

cruisin Texas--mostly between the fence rows ;)

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 09:32:36 pm »

I'm wondering because my CBR1100XX is pretty much bulletproof.  The more involved maintenance checks aren't "critical" and can wait until you have a few months over the winter to pull stuff apart to get to them.  It's not known to have ANY service needs that justify going into a shop if you're handy with tools and have the shop manual.

I wouldn't want to buy something that requires regular runs to a service department for work requiring specialized tools too expensive to obtain for yourself or involve work too involved for a person to do absent a HIGH mechanical aptitude.

For example...If I took a BIG trip, I'd be looking at 9,000 miles at one shot.  That means planning maintenance checks so they fall before or after the trip.  During would be problematic unless it's 100% safe to just ignore them for a decent span of mileage (some machines are more picky about such things compared to others).

with my 1st 1100RT ('98 model) I got a little lazy on maintenance in the beginning and let it go 32K between valve checks.  When I finally did it, they were all still spot on as I had set them previously.  Setting valves on the boxer engines is a piece of cake with them sticking out the side the way they do.  You can even do it without removing any of the fairing on an RT if you do not have head protectors in place.  Since the RS has even less tupperware, it is likely to be even easier on it.

OH crap! I just noticed you said 1200 not 1100 RS.  sorry.  
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:14:23 pm by cruisin » Logged

Parting out '97 & '98 R1100RT
UFO

Reputation 226

Motorcycles: 2018 Kawi H2SX SE
GPS: WA State
Miles Typed: 13215

My Photo Gallery

Retired-Ex-Skipper-Guy

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 01:01:21 am »

Anyone bought one of these yet, or test rode one?  Impressions?

It's an intriguing bike.

couch

Neal - 2018 H2 SX SE
Webmaster - http://h2sxriders.net - Ride Fast ... Ride Far
bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 06 KTM 640 Adventure.

Reputation 69

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6801

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 01:14:43 am »

Never made it to the bike show so have not even seen one. But read first impressions and it looks very good.  
Might be my next bike.  

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-bmw-r1200rs-review/26597.html
miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 01:38:23 am »

I took one out for a test ride on saturday.  

My quick impressions:
The dash sucks.  Too low and at a bad angle, so it reflects the bright and shiny silver handlebar and triple clamp.  In bright sunlight the dash is completely unreadable.  In the shade, it's still pretty bad.
The bike has plenty of power.
The autoblipper downshifted is fantastic, but the power upshifted not as much.  It boils down to the immense amount of engine braking the boxer 1200 has.
The seating position is all-day comfortable and neutral.
The bike handles well, but like all boxers it has a "roll into the turn" feel.
I didn't fuss with the adjustable windshield.  Low position worked well for me.
I couldn't discern any real difference between the D-ESA settings on the short (20 minute) test ride I did, but I'm sure that it exists.

My bottom line:  I wouldn't buy the bike merely because I'm not a fan of the boxer motor.  I never have been, and although the wether has plenty of power, it's still a boxer.
Other than that (and the shitty dash) I liked the bike.  It sits exactly at the confluence of sport and tourer.
Plus, it looks great.

Three points where two lines meet
zer0netgain

Reputation 29

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 06:40:03 am »

I test rode the R1200R (same geometry without the "sport" trim).

I can honestly say the R1200RS would be my next bike if I didn't have to sell both kidneys to afford it. (lol).

It has EVERYTHING I want in my next sport-tourer and is COMFORTABLE for me.  The "dash" is the same on both bikes, and it does leave something to be desired (if you're used to old-school gauges), but I think it'd "grow on you" as you get used to it.  Lots of bells and whistles I'd likely never care to use...so it'd stay on certain settings once I found the essentials I wanted to look at.

I figure I'd like the RS version because the R had too much wind buffeting for me to like it as a distance rider.   Otherwise, the R version was pretty sweet.

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 07:19:37 am »

Good reviews and feedback so far.  :popcorn:   I've only sat on one, not ridden it.  I'm surprised I've not seen anyone on STN w/ one yet.

While I appreciate the fact the boxer motor can be an acquired taste, this new WC version is an amazing motor.  I love it!
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 09:22:46 am »

Having been impressed by rental BMWs, I am interested.

However, I might be leaning more towards the new Honda Interceptor as I'd like to experience something different before kicking the bucket  Smile

Volfy

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200
Miles Typed: 1081

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 10:13:53 am »

My quick impressions:
The dash sucks.  Too low and at a bad angle, so it reflects the bright and shiny silver handlebar and triple clamp.  In bright sunlight the dash is completely unreadable.  In the shade, it's still pretty bad.
The bike has plenty of power.
The autoblipper downshifted is fantastic, but the power upshifted not as much.  It boils down to the immense amount of engine braking the boxer 1200 has.
The seating position is all-day comfortable and neutral.
The bike handles well, but like all boxers it has a "roll into the turn" feel.
I didn't fuss with the adjustable windshield.  Low position worked well for me.
I couldn't discern any real difference between the D-ESA settings on the short (20 minute) test ride I did, but I'm sure that it exists.

My bottom line:  I wouldn't buy the bike merely because I'm not a fan of the boxer motor.  I never have been, and although the wether has plenty of power, it's still a boxer.
Other than that (and the shitty dash) I liked the bike.  It sits exactly at the confluence of sport and tourer.
Plus, it looks great.

Your impressions confirmed a lot of my expectations of this bike.  My local BMW dealer is supposed to have a test ride event this Sat.  Not sure if they will have an R1200RS on the roster.  Look forward to trying one out.

I too have never been much of a boxer fan.  The old ones really do feel like riding a sewing machine.  The new waterhead supposedly has as much power/torque as my Trophy SE, so I'll keep an open mind.  Of all the current boxers, the RS is the most intriguing to me.  RT a close second.
bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 06 KTM 640 Adventure.

Reputation 69

GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6801

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 01:06:19 pm »

Plus, it looks great.

How was the fit for you on the RS ? Footpeg to seat etc.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 01:47:12 pm »

How was the fit for you on the RS ? Footpeg to seat etc.

I believe I'm shorter than Miles, but this is what it looks like for a stocky 5'8" guy (1.7272 meters).

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/897CAFB4-F212-45D2-94EF-C5309CDCE6FD_zpswgqicfvx.jpg
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:53:36 pm by R Doug » Logged
michaelrm69

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RS
Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 01:56:46 pm »

Anyone bought one of these yet, or test rode one?  Impressions?

It's an intriguing bike.

couch

I picked mine up in mid-June and love it!  My 3rd BMW Boxer (GS and Boxercup) and like this one the best!  Some quick bullets:

Great power at any rpm range in any gear

D-ESA is good, though a little on the stiff side and just slightly below Ducati's skyhook suspension.  As for the difference between dynamic and road; it is a slight difference, but you will notice it once you get some more time on the bike.

The dash isn't perfect, but you can (and need to) adjust the brightness of the backlighting!  Makes a night and day difference.  Also, it has 3 different selectable themes to make it more or less crowded.  All that said, I'd give it a 6-7 out of 10.

CC rocks!  Amazing how the little things can add so much to a bike.

The windscreen can be adjusted into 4 different positions.  Once I found the position I like, I haven't moved it since.

All day comfortable!

GPS w/GPS prep "wonderwheel" work great!  GPS isn't in the best place, but it's fine where it's at and you never need to take your hands off the bars to adjust.

Topcase and panniers match nicely with the grey bike and store a little bit more than expected.  I like them and have no complaints.

Mine has keyless start/gas cap.  Each works w/o flaw.

Really like the shift assist.  Perfect for downshifts, up shifts a little torque-y from 1-2, 2-3, but much better after that.  There's a software update for it already which improves the shifting...slightly.  Overall it's good enough that I never use the clutch except for stops and starts.

Bike looks much better in real life than the pictures and the pictures look great!

All in all, I am super pleased with the bike and my wife loves riding on it as a passenger.  If you like boxers and want a light sport touring bike, you should try it as it's really nice.  If you want something bigger, smaller, faster, slower, 3 cyl, 4cyl, etc, you should probably pass on the test ride as it will not change your mind on any of those fronts.
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 10:16:44 pm »

:popcorn:

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal