zer0netgain

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6412

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2015, 10:21:42 am »

Looking at buying a BMW.  The R1200RS in particular.

What am I looking at in terms of ownership cost (maintenance/repairs)?  How hard is it to do your own work as to avoid the cost of putting it in the shop?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:56:50 am by Orson » Logged

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

cruisin
just cruisin

Reputation 17

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: '79 R80/7 '00 R1200C '00 R1100RT '00 R1100S
GPS: Fritch, Tx
Miles Typed: 457

My Photo Gallery

cruisin Texas--mostly between the fence rows ;)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 05:43:41 pm »

Pre-2002 are the easiest to work on and seem to have fewer nagging problems than later models.  If you have wrenched other bikes and have a shop manual, the 1100RS should be no problem for you.  There are a lot of used parts out there on the net so shop around with your computer before paying new OEM prices on anything.

Parting out '97 & '98 R1100RT
Fudge
Cam Hed

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: R1200R
GPS: Far from Mountains
Miles Typed: 334

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 06:15:19 pm »

Having just completed the 12K on my R1200R I would say a boxer motor is easy to maintain yourself.  I think if you have at least a basic understanding of do it yourself maintenance you could do 90% of the work.  The most difficult service is the valve adjust (12K interval).  IMHO if you choose to have the dealer do the valve adjust the cost should still be reasonable since the jugs are hanging out in the breeze so the valves are easy to access.  Lots of do it yourself videos for the boxer series that will help you.

You'll need a good Torx tool kit, torque wrench and I would suggest a GS-911.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:43:54 pm by Fudge » Logged
Advertisement

coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps (PNW)
Miles Typed: 2758

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 08:56:55 pm »

Good source of new, new-take-off and pre-enjoyed parts and accessories. Also oil change kits, O rings and brake pads and stuff. Some of it is cheaper elsewhere, some of it is not. Customer service is darned fine.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/

"Always be yourself. Unless you suck, then be somebody else."

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
zer0netgain

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 05:59:53 am »

I'm wondering because my CBR1100XX is pretty much bulletproof.  The more involved maintenance checks aren't "critical" and can wait until you have a few months over the winter to pull stuff apart to get to them.  It's not known to have ANY service needs that justify going into a shop if you're handy with tools and have the shop manual.

I wouldn't want to buy something that requires regular runs to a service department for work requiring specialized tools too expensive to obtain for yourself or involve work too involved for a person to do absent a HIGH mechanical aptitude.

For example...If I took a BIG trip, I'd be looking at 9,000 miles at one shot.  That means planning maintenance checks so they fall before or after the trip.  During would be problematic unless it's 100% safe to just ignore them for a decent span of mileage (some machines are more picky about such things compared to others).

mxvet57
Let's find some twisty's

Reputation -56

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 04 FJR1300 06 SPEED TRIPLE 88 EX500 05 YZ250 01 YZ 250 91 KX 500
GPS: Mt. prospect ill.
Miles Typed: 15847

My Photo Gallery

Loud horns save lives

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:41:41 am »

Get an FJR.  couch   298,000 and going strong.

Hasn't seen a service department in 7 years. And that was for warranty work.

Joking aside, The older bikes are so much easer to work on. Less electronics to go bad. Like anything you just have to learn on your own. And a service manual is a must.

It's not the fall that will kill you it's that sudden stop

04 FJR 1300 1/4 million mile club and then some.
Volfy

Reputation 19

Motorcycles: '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 Trophy SE, '10 VFR1200
Miles Typed: 1081

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 10:17:02 am »

Almost pulled the trigger a few times but not a BMW owner... yet.  With most engines, valve clearance check is the bigger maintenance headache to me.  It's big enough of a tedious job that I dread doing it myself, but I don't like paying the dealer service dept beaucoup buck to do it either.  This is one major advantage of the boxer engine.  Even with the waterheads, it should still be an easy job.
Fudge
Cam Hed

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: R1200R
GPS: Far from Mountains
Miles Typed: 334

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 04:42:13 pm »

The valve adjustments are not an issue with the cam head and later model change to 'semi-sphere' (shim).  The valves rarely need adjustment, I changed two shims at 6K and none at 12K.  Intervals are now at 12k for the LC.

The boxer motor isn't really a highly tuned motor so timely checks aren't 'critical' either.
cruisin
just cruisin

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 09:32:36 pm »

I'm wondering because my CBR1100XX is pretty much bulletproof.  The more involved maintenance checks aren't "critical" and can wait until you have a few months over the winter to pull stuff apart to get to them.  It's not known to have ANY service needs that justify going into a shop if you're handy with tools and have the shop manual.

I wouldn't want to buy something that requires regular runs to a service department for work requiring specialized tools too expensive to obtain for yourself or involve work too involved for a person to do absent a HIGH mechanical aptitude.

For example...If I took a BIG trip, I'd be looking at 9,000 miles at one shot.  That means planning maintenance checks so they fall before or after the trip.  During would be problematic unless it's 100% safe to just ignore them for a decent span of mileage (some machines are more picky about such things compared to others).

with my 1st 1100RT ('98 model) I got a little lazy on maintenance in the beginning and let it go 32K between valve checks.  When I finally did it, they were all still spot on as I had set them previously.  Setting valves on the boxer engines is a piece of cake with them sticking out the side the way they do.  You can even do it without removing any of the fairing on an RT if you do not have head protectors in place.  Since the RS has even less tupperware, it is likely to be even easier on it.

OH crap! I just noticed you said 1200 not 1100 RS.  sorry.  
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:14:23 pm by cruisin » Logged

UFO

Reputation 226

Motorcycles: 2018 Kawi H2SX SE
GPS: WA State
Miles Typed: 13216

My Photo Gallery

Retired-Ex-Skipper-Guy

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 01:01:21 am »

Anyone bought one of these yet, or test rode one?  Impressions?

It's an intriguing bike.

couch

Neal - 2018 H2 SX SE
Webmaster - http://h2sxriders.net - Ride Fast ... Ride Far
bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 06 KTM 640 Adventure.

Reputation 69

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6801

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 01:14:43 am »

Never made it to the bike show so have not even seen one. But read first impressions and it looks very good.  
Might be my next bike.  

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-bmw-r1200rs-review/26597.html
miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 01:38:23 am »

I took one out for a test ride on saturday.  

My quick impressions:
The dash sucks.  Too low and at a bad angle, so it reflects the bright and shiny silver handlebar and triple clamp.  In bright sunlight the dash is completely unreadable.  In the shade, it's still pretty bad.
The bike has plenty of power.
The autoblipper downshifted is fantastic, but the power upshifted not as much.  It boils down to the immense amount of engine braking the boxer 1200 has.
The seating position is all-day comfortable and neutral.
The bike handles well, but like all boxers it has a "roll into the turn" feel.
I didn't fuss with the adjustable windshield.  Low position worked well for me.
I couldn't discern any real difference between the D-ESA settings on the short (20 minute) test ride I did, but I'm sure that it exists.

My bottom line:  I wouldn't buy the bike merely because I'm not a fan of the boxer motor.  I never have been, and although the wether has plenty of power, it's still a boxer.
Other than that (and the shitty dash) I liked the bike.  It sits exactly at the confluence of sport and tourer.
Plus, it looks great.

Three points where two lines meet
zer0netgain

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 06:40:03 am »

I test rode the R1200R (same geometry without the "sport" trim).

I can honestly say the R1200RS would be my next bike if I didn't have to sell both kidneys to afford it. (lol).

It has EVERYTHING I want in my next sport-tourer and is COMFORTABLE for me.  The "dash" is the same on both bikes, and it does leave something to be desired (if you're used to old-school gauges), but I think it'd "grow on you" as you get used to it.  Lots of bells and whistles I'd likely never care to use...so it'd stay on certain settings once I found the essentials I wanted to look at.

I figure I'd like the RS version because the R had too much wind buffeting for me to like it as a distance rider.   Otherwise, the R version was pretty sweet.

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 07:19:37 am »

Good reviews and feedback so far.  :popcorn:   I've only sat on one, not ridden it.  I'm surprised I've not seen anyone on STN w/ one yet.

While I appreciate the fact the boxer motor can be an acquired taste, this new WC version is an amazing motor.  I love it!
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 09:22:46 am »

Having been impressed by rental BMWs, I am interested.

However, I might be leaning more towards the new Honda Interceptor as I'd like to experience something different before kicking the bucket  Smile

Volfy

Reputation 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 10:13:53 am »

My quick impressions:
The dash sucks.  Too low and at a bad angle, so it reflects the bright and shiny silver handlebar and triple clamp.  In bright sunlight the dash is completely unreadable.  In the shade, it's still pretty bad.
The bike has plenty of power.
The autoblipper downshifted is fantastic, but the power upshifted not as much.  It boils down to the immense amount of engine braking the boxer 1200 has.
The seating position is all-day comfortable and neutral.
The bike handles well, but like all boxers it has a "roll into the turn" feel.
I didn't fuss with the adjustable windshield.  Low position worked well for me.
I couldn't discern any real difference between the D-ESA settings on the short (20 minute) test ride I did, but I'm sure that it exists.

My bottom line:  I wouldn't buy the bike merely because I'm not a fan of the boxer motor.  I never have been, and although the wether has plenty of power, it's still a boxer.
Other than that (and the shitty dash) I liked the bike.  It sits exactly at the confluence of sport and tourer.
Plus, it looks great.

Your impressions confirmed a lot of my expectations of this bike.  My local BMW dealer is supposed to have a test ride event this Sat.  Not sure if they will have an R1200RS on the roster.  Look forward to trying one out.

I too have never been much of a boxer fan.  The old ones really do feel like riding a sewing machine.  The new waterhead supposedly has as much power/torque as my Trophy SE, so I'll keep an open mind.  Of all the current boxers, the RS is the most intriguing to me.  RT a close second.
bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 01:06:19 pm »

Plus, it looks great.

How was the fit for you on the RS ? Footpeg to seat etc.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 01:47:12 pm »

How was the fit for you on the RS ? Footpeg to seat etc.

I believe I'm shorter than Miles, but this is what it looks like for a stocky 5'8" guy (1.7272 meters).

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/897CAFB4-F212-45D2-94EF-C5309CDCE6FD_zpswgqicfvx.jpg
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:53:36 pm by R Doug » Logged
michaelrm69

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RS
Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 01:56:46 pm »

It's an intriguing bike.

couch

I picked mine up in mid-June and love it!  My 3rd BMW Boxer (GS and Boxercup) and like this one the best!  Some quick bullets:

Great power at any rpm range in any gear

D-ESA is good, though a little on the stiff side and just slightly below Ducati's skyhook suspension.  As for the difference between dynamic and road; it is a slight difference, but you will notice it once you get some more time on the bike.

The dash isn't perfect, but you can (and need to) adjust the brightness of the backlighting!  Makes a night and day difference.  Also, it has 3 different selectable themes to make it more or less crowded.  All that said, I'd give it a 6-7 out of 10.

CC rocks!  Amazing how the little things can add so much to a bike.

The windscreen can be adjusted into 4 different positions.  Once I found the position I like, I haven't moved it since.

All day comfortable!

GPS w/GPS prep "wonderwheel" work great!  GPS isn't in the best place, but it's fine where it's at and you never need to take your hands off the bars to adjust.

Topcase and panniers match nicely with the grey bike and store a little bit more than expected.  I like them and have no complaints.

Mine has keyless start/gas cap.  Each works w/o flaw.

Really like the shift assist.  Perfect for downshifts, up shifts a little torque-y from 1-2, 2-3, but much better after that.  There's a software update for it already which improves the shifting...slightly.  Overall it's good enough that I never use the clutch except for stops and starts.

Bike looks much better in real life than the pictures and the pictures look great!

All in all, I am super pleased with the bike and my wife loves riding on it as a passenger.  If you like boxers and want a light sport touring bike, you should try it as it's really nice.  If you want something bigger, smaller, faster, slower, 3 cyl, 4cyl, etc, you should probably pass on the test ride as it will not change your mind on any of those fronts.
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 10:16:44 pm »

:popcorn:

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
UFO

Reputation 226

Motorcycles: 2018 Kawi H2SX SE
GPS: WA State
Miles Typed: 13216

My Photo Gallery

Retired-Ex-Skipper-Guy

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 12:38:26 am »

How's the throttle response at low RPM, low speed?

I asked because the Multistrada is fucking annoying trying to ride below 3K RPM.

Neal - 2018 H2 SX SE
Webmaster - http://h2sxriders.net - Ride Fast ... Ride Far
miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 12:39:45 am »

A bit jerky, but not horrible.

zer0netgain

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 05:33:13 am »

Topcase and panniers match nicely with the grey bike and store a little bit more than expected.  I like them and have no complaints.

Have you had luck spotting aftermarket hard case options that fit the bike?  BMW's pricey options are a big hit on the desire to buy it.  Givi doesn't make a kit for it (yet, and perhaps never).  So, I'd have to get new cases rather than use what I have.

miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 08:32:19 am »

I thought the side bags were standard.

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 09:19:54 am »

Have you had luck spotting aftermarket hard case options that fit the bike?  BMW's pricey options are a big hit on the desire to buy it.  Givi doesn't make a kit for it (yet, and perhaps never).  So, I'd have to get new cases rather than use what I have.

From my experience with a rental RT, BMW's luggage is top notch therefore, probably worth the premium.

Volfy

Reputation 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 11:33:48 am »

Not yet, but I don't doubt Givi and SW Motech are both burning midnight oil right now working on them.  V35s would work great on this one.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 01:27:32 pm »

From my experience with a rental RT, BMW's luggage is top notch therefore, probably worth the premium.

I love the cases that came with my R1200RT.  I believe the RS will share in BMW luggage parts bin with the RT.  And, the new RT's cases are remote control lockable.  Pretty cool.

michaelrm69

Reputation 2

Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 08:30:25 am »

How's the throttle response at low RPM, low speed?

I asked because the Multistrada is fucking annoying trying to ride below 3K RPM.

Much better than my '06 GS was, that thing drove me nuts at slow speeds.  Only at super slow parking lots speeds do I notice a little jerkiness, but nothing that even hints at frustrating.  This was a specific trait I looked at on my demo ride, and now with 1100+ miles I'm happy to say it's been great. Bigsmile
cruisin
just cruisin

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2015, 04:27:07 pm »

It's an intriguing bike.

couch

I like it a heck of a lot better than the first R1200RS back in '05--'06(?) when it had that horrendous diamond shaped headlight and the feeble attempt at stealth bomber flat panel technology.  This new one is much more appealing to my eye.  It's a bit reminiscent of the 1100S of old.  I still like the old S better though.

BlueRidgeKat
STN Member Since 7-03 Contributor, Location Virginia

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 810

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 09:00:40 am »

Wife and I both have BMW's and have never had a problem..... change the oil and go.  However these both have the 800 Rotax engines so that's all we have experience with.  Have been riding for 40 years now and wish I had switched to Beemer long ago, didn't know what I was missing.
Roadscum

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '15 BMW R12R, '12 Vespa 300', '15 BMW GSA, '13 BMW F800GT (in Europe)
GPS: SW Florida
Miles Typed: 481

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 12:09:13 pm »

The Boxer motors are very easy to to work on and you should be able to do all the maintenance yourself. If ya need some help you can get high quality DVD's from JVB productions. Look here: http://www.jvbproductions.com/

Paul
DrMikey

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: 2003 R1150RT, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
GPS: SW Cheddar Country
Miles Typed: 871

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2015, 11:52:45 pm »

The valve adjustments are not an issue with the cam head and later model change to 'semi-sphere' (shim).  The valves rarely need adjustment, I changed two shims at 6K and none at 12K.  Intervals are now at 12k for the LC.

The boxer motor isn't really a highly tuned motor so timely checks aren't 'critical' either.

+1  Thumbsup
zer0netgain

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2015, 06:38:13 am »

God, I'm wanting that bike so bad.

How long would I last without my kidneys?  Lol

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2016, 09:30:16 am »

Well, I bit the bullet  Smile

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/Orsono/L1000716%20copy_zpsebxuvnx2.jpg

My initial impressions after about 100 miles:

- I agree with miles about the dash. It's hard to read. A large analog speedo should have been a tachometer like KTM has. I'll hafta play around with different settings.
- Engine power is very nice. I look forward to riding a wave of torque. Haven't had a chance to try the different engine modes. I didn't notice any harsh engine jerky snatch at low RPM
- Handling seems neutral and confidence inspiring. No problems there
- Suspension is very nice and plush. Haven't tried the sporty "Dynamic" mode
- Ergonomics has a very slight forward lean with flat handlebars. I think I prefer a bit more lean as, I felt a pain between my shoulder blades while riding the Interstate. It feels fine in the twisties.
- Fairing wind protection seemed fine in the twisty bits. Remains to be seen on long interstate stretches
- Seat feels great so far but, all-day comfort remains to be seen
- Haven't had a chance to try the autoblipper. After 35 years of riding, It's difficult to get away from pulling in the clutch lever

Tyrroneous
Slow Attack Cow

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '07 Triumph Daytona 675, 2000 SV650N, '03 XR400R, '09 KLX250S
GPS: Bham, AL
Miles Typed: 2352

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2016, 11:24:25 am »

Great looking bike you got there Orson.  Congrats on the purchase.  Which continent is this one going to live on?  

The RS is on my short list.  Maybe next year.

Ride On...
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2016, 11:40:44 am »

The bike is with me in Asheville, N.C.  Smile

bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2016, 01:40:04 pm »

Congrats. Very jealous.  The RS's numbers and pedigree speaks loudly to me. Unfortunately, the cost is beyond what I can justify. But a used, well cared for RS might well be in my future. So I will be following along with your impressions. How tall are you and what is your inseam?

Now that you are retired, you should ride that bike up here as part of an epic west coast ride !
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2016, 01:55:54 pm »

I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam.

I'm an old fart and prefer the bodywork on your old 1000RS to this new, angular stuff.

As far as the west coast, hopefully someday  Smile Southwestern Colorado, Utah and my old stomping grounds in Northern California spur feelings of yearning. Also, we used to take family vacations to Vancouver Island so, it would be good to re-visit B.C. as well  Smile

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15149

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2016, 02:10:29 pm »

Damn, I missed this thread! Congrats on the new ride, orson!!  Bigok

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2016, 05:48:45 pm »

I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam.

Cool. Same height, my legs are a little longer. Look forward to your impressions.
mugwump58

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2016, 06:45:08 pm »

On the very, very short list for next year. Looking forward to some test rides this spring/summer.

Roadscum

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '15 BMW R12R, '12 Vespa 300', '15 BMW GSA, '13 BMW F800GT (in Europe)

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 08:25:05 pm »

Very nice, congratulations on the new ride!  Thumbsup

I had the nek'd version, a '15 R1200R for 6 weeks and 2112 miles of smiles. It keeps company with my '15 GSA with 15+K miles  of smiles.

Did you get the Nav 5? It goes a long way to compensate for the short coming of the  instrument cluster. In addition to navigation functions it can display much of the data from the cluster, and sometime more detail info. It can be configured to display 1, 2, 4, or 16 tiles, each with different data selected by the rider. I prefer the  4 tile mode showing: speed, F/TP, R/TP, and fuel range.

A few days ago the cluster shows a light warning indicating it was at the rear of the bike. The Nav unit specified it was the license plate light!

The Nav 5 unit is pricey but brings a lot of additional function with it.

Paul

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2016, 07:09:45 am »

I have the BMW GPS. I'm not sure if it's called Nav 5.

I will play around with the different screens.

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2016, 11:36:26 am »

Congrats!  

And yes, I use my BMW Nav IV as my speedo.  You can customize your screen and have the speedo in the lower left or right of the screen when you're in map view mode.  

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 78

Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15149

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2016, 12:04:23 pm »

And yes, I use my BMW Nav IV as my speedo.  You can customize your screen and have the speedo in the lower left or right of the screen when you're in map view mode.  

I do this too, but it causes me problems when I'm in one of the numerous, long tunnels here, as the GPS is no longer updating my speed. 100kph? Sure! That's what it says right here on the GPS! Never mind that the speedometer has crept up to 120...  Embarassment

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Roadscum

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2016, 07:01:05 pm »

.. Never mind that the speedometer has crept up to 120...  Embarassment

Funny how that can happen in those looooong tunnels.  Lol

Paul
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2016, 08:01:56 pm »

So, are you coming to the spring meet in WV or what!?   Headscratch Cool
Roadscum

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2016, 09:20:34 pm »

If it's the GPS that was sold to you by the dealer for that beautiful RS it is the Nav 5 unit.

Paul
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2016, 08:16:27 am »

So, are you coming to the spring meet in WV or what!?   Headscratch Cool

I'd love to be there but, I can't promise anything  Smile That would be a great, first long ride.

If it's the GPS that was sold to you by the dealer for that beautiful RS it is the Nav 5 unit.

Yup, it's the GPS the dealer put on.

bucktownbilly

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: '15 - ? 2008 FJR; '15-? 2015 FJ 09; '14-? 2013FZ8; '09-'15 2009 FZ6 (black); '11-'14 2002 CB 919;'04-'10 2004 FZ6 (silver); '98-'03 BMW F650; '95-'97 Suzuki 650DR
Miles Typed: 556

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2016, 10:16:55 am »

Good looking ride, love the color set up Bigok
Roadscum

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2016, 05:51:44 pm »

Have you seen this overview of the Nav V?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdEoDqaz7DE

Paul
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2016, 10:29:15 am »

Thanks for the link!  Thumbsup

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2016, 05:00:20 pm »

I did my first semi-long day today. About 210 miles. Butt started to complain a bit the last 20 or so miles but, nothing painful. Kept the windshield in the low position and it was fine, no buffeting.

I was gonna switch the suspension to "dynamic" mode for the tight twisties but, forgot all about it  Bigsmile Normal suspension mode works fine for most street riding I guess  Smile

Acadian Rider

Reputation 34

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2017 Super Ténéré ES
GPS: Moncton N.B. Canada
Miles Typed: 1155

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2016, 05:43:20 pm »

Well, I bit the bullet  Smile

What? Not a MG?   Smile

V'Nez nous ouère.

2005 - Banff Run   2006 - National   2007- SNOT II   2008 - National   2009 - ESTN    2010 - National & SNOB I  2012- National  2013 - SNOB III & ESTN  2014 - WCRM
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2016, 06:49:48 pm »

I would love an updated Le Mans but, Guzzi isn't offering anything like the RS at the moment  Sad

Also BMW has a local dealer so, it's a bit more convenient.

My Guzzi in Italy is still running strong  Smile

Edit to add: the boxer sounds like an extended fart  Sad
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:49:46 pm by Orson » Logged

Roadscum

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2016, 12:58:16 pm »

Edit to add: the boxer sounds like an extended fart  Sad

I fixed that on my '15 R1200R with the Remus CF slip on. It now has a nice baritone growl, even with the baffle in.  Lol
That CF Remus would look great on your RS!  Wink
The GSA with the stock can has a nicer voice then the stock system on the R/RS .... go figure.  Rolleyes

Paul
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), VStar 950, Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2016, 01:43:48 pm »

I did my first semi-long day today. About 210 miles. Butt started to complain a bit the last 20 or so miles but, nothing painful. Kept the windshield in the low position and it was fine, no buffeting.

I was gonna switch the suspension to "dynamic" mode for the tight twisties but, forgot all about it  Bigsmile Normal suspension mode works fine for most street riding I guess  Smile

A good seat takes a while to break in.
Now you have to go back to those twisties and do 'em 'right'.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2016, 11:24:51 am »

I give you joy of your new ride. Even if it doesn't have a transverse V motor.  Wink

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Virginian

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: '15 KTM 1290 Super Adventure, '09 Yamaha Tmax
GPS: The Virginian
Miles Typed: 1984

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2016, 11:42:23 pm »

Wow! I missed this thread as well! Congratulations Orson! Guzzi fans are a bit bitter....  Bigok

Eric

When the world ends, the only thing left will be cockroaches riding Guzzis. http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/garrysimmons/MotoPhoto2009/BurgerRun2009/BurgerRun2009_128.jpg
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2016, 08:45:19 am »

As I said before, I would love it if Guzzi built their version of an RS  Smile

But I'm not holding my breath  Bigsmile

stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4574

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2016, 03:20:40 pm »

Well, I bit the bullet  Smile

Inlove       Clap

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2016, 03:51:57 pm »

As I said before, I would love it if Guzzi built their version of an RS  Smile

But I'm not holding my breath  Bigsmile

I think you have seen and probably ridden Guzzi's "RS"

But its numbers don't add up to the new "RS"

I doubt Guzzi has a bike waiting in the wings. The Norge is it for now and as much as I like mine, IF  I could afford it right now, one test ride on the R1200RS would put it in my garage. Even if it is not as good looking!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 03:55:38 pm by bubba zanetti » Logged
Roadscum

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2016, 06:05:50 pm »

My thinking is that the Norge is more of an RT then an RS.
My '09 1200 Sport was a very nice ride until the electrical gremlins found their way in.  25k miles and 2 months out of warranty, nearest competent dealer was 600 miles away, now they to have gone the way of many other Guzzi dealers.

RIP Ridershill.   

RIP Red 1200 Guzzi Sport.  

Paul
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 06:16:43 pm by Roadscum » Logged
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2016, 06:39:06 pm »

After almost 1,000 miles on the RS, the boxer lump just fails to inspire like a Guzzi having its neck wrung  Sad

That being said, it does everything else very well plus heated grips and good luggage  Thumbsup

As for all the electronic doodads, they could all be gone and I wouldn't miss them. I just don't need or use all that information. Give me a tachometer and I'll be happy  Smile

coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2016, 12:48:35 am »

After almost 1,000 miles on the RS, the boxer lump just fails to inspire like a Guzzi having its neck wrung  Sad

That being said, it does everything else very well plus heated grips and good luggage  Thumbsup

As for all the electronic doodads, they could all be gone and I wouldn't miss them. I just don't need or use all that information. Give me a tachometer and I'll be happy  Smile

Don't scratch it up and it'll be a nice trade in when Mandello remembers to start building LeMans' (LeManses?) again.  Smile

st2sam

Reputation 133

Motorcycles: 2014 Honda Valkyrie and 1993 Ducati 907ie
GPS: N.E. PA. aboard a flying Hippo.
Miles Typed: 1671

My Photo Gallery

Certified sport-TOURING wacko.......

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2016, 07:23:20 am »

Don't fight it Orson, life is short.  firedevil

http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/special-offers.html

Change is good, but only for a while..
Honda makes the best "sport-TOURING" motorcycle, until I buy something else.......
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2016, 05:18:01 pm »

Guzzi seems to be trying to create a lifestyle brand like a European Harley  

Hopefully, someday they will rediscover their racing heritage  Smile

Virginian

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: '15 KTM 1290 Super Adventure, '09 Yamaha Tmax
GPS: The Virginian
Miles Typed: 1984

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2016, 09:45:37 pm »

Guzzi seems to be trying to create a lifestyle brand like a European Harley  

Hopefully, someday they will rediscover their racing heritage  Smile

Blasphemy!

When the world ends, the only thing left will be cockroaches riding Guzzis. http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/garrysimmons/MotoPhoto2009/BurgerRun2009/BurgerRun2009_128.jpg
Roadscum

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2016, 10:29:28 pm »

With 3K miles in a little over 3 months on my "15 R1200R I'm thinking......
The modern boxer motor can certainty lull one into the feeling of complacency.   Lol Lol
And the electronic packages make for a more comfortable, better controlled, safer ride, especially when you ring its neck! Makes me a better rider.
My thoughts anyway!!!   EEK!

Paul
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:33:04 pm by Roadscum » Logged
bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2016, 01:44:07 am »

With 3K miles in a little over 3 months on my "15 R1200R I'm thinking......
The modern boxer motor can certainty lull one into the feeling of complacency.   Lol Lol
And the electronic packages make for a more comfortable, better controlled, safer ride, especially when you ring its neck! Makes me a better rider.
My thoughts anyway!!!   EEK!

Paul

Looking forward to a multi day trip report. Some details about the hard bags, range in real world  riding, comfort including ... inseam, arm length, height/weight. It is one of my peeves that so much time is spent comparing apples to cumquats. We are all so differently shaped and somewhat oddly at that ... IF my many years of meeting and hosting motorcyclists from round the world counts ... Temperatures, road condition, packed weight, riding style, maintenance etc ...Yet still much debate about bikes is assumed that my modification should be your modification. Same for tires, oil and gear.

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2016, 08:29:00 pm »

It looks like I may hafta eat my words  Embarassment

I got a warning from the tire pressure monitor that my rear tire lost about 10 lbs. I limped into a gas station and topped it off then monitored it afterward.

Roadscum

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2016, 03:43:06 pm »

It looks like I may hafta eat my words  Embarassment

I got a warning from the tire pressure monitor that my rear tire lost about 10 lbs. I limped into a gas station and topped it off then monitored it afterward.

How do you like your crow prepared....... roasted, grilled, or broiled?  Lol

Me, well I like mine grilled and blackened, yum!  

Paul
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2016, 11:06:38 am »

Well, after my trip to Texas, I find that the RS hearkens back to my old 1984 Yamaha FJ-1100 in that, it does sport touring rather effortlessly.

Decent power, good handling and all day comfort.

bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2016, 11:42:13 am »

Saw my first R1200RS a couple of weeks ago at the eastern end of CA36 in Red Bluff.  At first I thought it was a 1000S until I saw the bags etc. Looks good in the flesh.  Thumbsup
mugwump58

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2016, 10:58:12 pm »

I need more convincing that the BMW luggage  is that much better than similar Givi kit. Will BMW's GPS mounting accept any other units? Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 09:41:40 pm by mugwump58 » Logged

RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2016, 07:02:55 pm »

Sorta. The Garmin Zumo 660 will plug right in and works like a charm (BTDT). But... there is zero interface with the bike's GPS controls. In short, it's a fully functional Zumo in the middle of the bike.

BobW

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: r1200rs
GPS: Morganton, NC
Miles Typed: 594

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2016, 04:50:29 pm »

It's been two years and my self imposed time between changing motorcycles has played its course, so......

[imghttp://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo254/ps3592/IMG_0405_zpsvo5uxqyy.jpg][/img]

Retired and loving it.
Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

GPS: Bloomington, IL
Miles Typed: 1765

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2016, 08:15:24 pm »

That looks nice.  Custom color? Looks like higher bars and a few other mods.

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
BobW

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2016, 09:17:32 pm »

Thanks Jetpilot5.

This was a "perfect timing" situation on this bike with 2000 miles on her rather than taking advantage of BMW year end deals on a new "nekkid" RS. I was finishing a RS demo test ride and my friend at the shop said if I waited an hour they had this bike coming in on a trade. The owner was picking up a new KTM 1290 Adventure he was a better fit for after having spent time and $$ trying to make the RS comfortable for his traveling needs. When I saw him unload it we shook hands on the deal before it made it into the shop  Bigok R bars and rox risers, puig screen, lowered pegs, leds, crash bars, etc., etc., etc. Really nicely farkled and a nice finishing touch was he had a shop add the color matched custom grey wrap onto the white components giving a nice blend and flow that compliments her lines with a unique look.

I had queried Orson and some other RS riders and I'm very happy to have joined the party. I rode the heck out of my r1200r and rt and as amazing as the platform improvements from the 11XX series was to the 1200, the LC is all that and so much more again. One of my favorite sport tourers was my futura with all kinds of goodies to include full ohlins and the RS takes what she represented and improved on her in every way. The RS is  Inlove    

Cheers

Retired and loving it.
bubba zanetti

Reputation 69

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2016, 10:09:43 pm »

So interested in this bike. I hope you/and/or Orson will start a thread about day to day, touring etc. A dedicated sport-touring bike deserves such attention. Don't you think ?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 11:37:05 am by bubba zanetti » Logged
BobW

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2016, 07:03:52 am »

So interested in this bike. I hope you/and/or Orion will start a thread about day to day, touring etc. A dedicated sport-touring bike deserves such attention. Don't you think ?

I agree and will add my $0.02 along the way. I have been a bikeaholic for 50 years now and try to get something "different" each time I change bikes. There really are no bad motorcycles out there today, but my Sprint ST, the futura and now the RS represent what keeps me returning to the sport touring platform (my Stelvio or a GS would be my second favorite). I still manage 15-20 thousand miles a year between our local, friendly old Smoky's and Blue Ridge mountain roads and annual family visits from here in NC to New England and the Pacific Northwest. The RS is slotted for those rides as well as a 2018 Canada and Alaska loop.

Cheers  

Retired and loving it.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2016, 06:29:20 am »

So far, so good after about 9,000 miles.

As I said previously, the RS reminds me a lot of my old 1984 FJ1100 which, pretty much set the standard for sport tourers in the 1990s. It ticks off all my sport touring needs; sure footed handling, good torque for riding "the Pace", comfort, good luggage, heated grips, etc.

I do miss the Guzzi soundtrack but, the fact that the RS does everything else so well helps to ease the pain  Smile

zer0netgain

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2016, 07:26:08 am »

Hate to resurrect the thread, but I have another question I'm not seeing an answer to on the BMW website.

Is a "service plan" available?  How much?  Is it worth it?

I ask because basic things I can do myself, but given the demands on my time, I'd almost consider paying for a plan that covers any and all ROUTINE maintenance issues.  Of course, maybe the kinds of things I'd take it in for would be just as affordable to pay on an "as needed" basis, but I'd like to know if there's the option.  I know they try to sell that stuff on car sales.

Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4508

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2016, 08:06:19 am »

If you don't have one after a year and a half, my advice would be to move on and get something else.

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
zer0netgain

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2016, 09:03:54 am »

If you don't have one after a year and a half, my advice would be to move on and get something else.

I may be in a position to get one in the next few months.  That's why I'm reconsidering the situation.  Smile

radon222

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: '05 R1150GS Adv, '12 R1200RT
GPS: Pasadena, MD
Miles Typed: 289

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2016, 09:15:41 am »

Zero,

Unlike BMW 4-wheeled vehicles there is no manufacture 2-yr Free maintanence type deal.   Any plan of that sort would have to be dealer specific and I sure haven't heard of one.  
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4508

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2016, 09:19:45 am »

I may be in a position to get one in the next few months.  That's why I'm reconsidering the situation.  Smile

Thumbsup

Good luck!

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
BobW

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2016, 10:21:25 am »

So far, so good after about 9,000 miles.

As I said previously, the RS reminds me a lot of my old 1984 FJ1100 which, pretty much set the standard for sport tourers in the 1990s. It ticks off all my sport touring needs; sure footed handling, good torque for riding "the Pace", comfort, good luggage, heated grips, etc.

I do miss the Guzzi soundtrack but, the fact that the RS does everything else so well helps to ease the pain  Smile

Your assessment of the RS was a big help when I was narrowing my choices and I appreciate your feedback to my questions before I closed the deal. BTW, Eurosport would be great for Guzzi if Piaggio ever got their U.S. Operations sorted and if they offer a balanced lineup again. I get the cruisers and scramblers, but there is a big hole to be filled.

Retired and loving it.
BobW

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2016, 10:49:12 am »

I just got a RS, do it! You will be a happy rider.

+1, it would be a dealer offer.

The service is only easier on a moto guzzi because of the perky jugs   sorry I digress  Lol

6000 mile service is basically an oil and filter change and go over the bike looking at brake pads, tires, etc. No disassembly required. The RS uses a spin on oil filter that is easy to reach and while on the center stand slide a drip pan under the engine and remove the drain plug. After the oil drains, Replace drain plug using a new crush washer along with new filter and add fresh oil. Congrats! You have just serviced the engine in about the same time and effort it took to type this. Final drive can be done at the same time and it too has an easy drain and refill. The 12000 mile service is the same, but they add a valve check, spark plug, air filter change/inspection. Brakes should be "bled" at least every other year, but I do it yearly and it doesn't require a lot of time either.  You can do the "easy" stuff to enjoy playing Doctor with her and to save on labor costs and then have the Surgeons at the shop do a valve check etc. It isn't a bunch of man hours even if you had a shop do all maintenance and obviously any repairs are warranty work for 3 years or 36000 miles at no cost to you.

There are some great Ewe tubes showing the service and as suggested above the Jim VonBaden DVD is widely used and covers all you wanted to know about your BMW, but were afraid to ask......  

Retired and loving it.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2016, 11:48:47 am »

If Guzzi came out with an RS clone that wuz within 80% of the RS's capabilities, I would be sorely tempted just to have that Guzzi soundtrack  Inlove

The aural qualities of the Guzzi really make it an engaging bike out in the real world.

coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2016, 09:31:08 pm »

Nothing beats good aural.

howardrichman

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 268

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2017, 01:38:35 am »

I've been researching various rides in the last 6 months. this RS is on my short list. I'm riding a Ninja 650r now and want more character and performance. I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha fj-09, the Honda VFR interceptor, and the BMW r1200rs.  If I can swing the RS, in the long run, will there be electronic problems that will cost me trips to the dealer or $ out of pocket often w/o a long term warrantee ? The 650R doesn't even have a fuel gauge, and don't need one using a trip meter.  The fj-09 has great reviews, but not into adventure style rides (unless I'm convinced that'll change); but now it feels like sitting on a big dirt bike. The VFR looks great, like the center stand and single side swing arm, but not the vtec. these two rides can be had for nearly half the price of the RS, and have to guess that's attributed mostly to its high technology. I guess I'd be concerned about the reliability of the whole bike; electronics and mechanically as the odometer runs near the 60K mls +    

Please reply, Thanks
Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2017, 09:35:16 am »

As a base line, I don't think any BMW will be as reliable overall as a Honda or Yamaha and I've had three BMW's and multiple Honda's and Yamaha's. That said, my BMW's have been pretty good, very good mechanically and a few minor electrical issues. For example I had the right hand switch-gear replaced under recall on my K1300S. I did almost leave me stranded though. The VFR is very nice, I had a 99 model.  It won't have near the power and isn't as comfy as the RS. Can't speak to the FJ as I've never ridden the triple but I read good things.

If you'd like to get the price down and are worried about electrical issues you can do what I did.  I bought a base RS demo bike. Even the base BMW is well equipped. Then I added a center stand, heated grips and electronic cruise. That's all I really wanted and now don't have to worry about expensive electronic suspension components failing out of warranty or a gas cap that wont lock because keyless ride failed and it got the price down into the low teens for essentially a new bike with a full three year warranty. I will tell you that base BMW's are rare.  I had to travel 10 hours to get mine. If you're committed and can't find one you can always order one.

Which bike do you want? I've always been happier with bikes that had a high want factor over bikes that made more sense to me. If it's the BMW that you really want then get it, you'll most likely be fine.  If you get the BMW and like it but spend all your time sweating whether it'll leave you on the side of the road then it won't be fun and you won't like it.

Hope that helps. Oh, and I'm just getting ready to take my RS in for it's second replacement water pump. Embarassment

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
kver

Reputation 57

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 186

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2017, 12:01:51 pm »

As a base line, I don't think any BMW will be as reliable overall as a Honda or Yamaha and I've had three BMW's and multiple Honda's and Yamaha's.

Which bike do you want? I've always been happier with bikes that had a high want factor over bikes that made more sense to me. If it's the BMW that you really want then get it, you'll most likely be fine.  If you get the BMW and like it but spend all your time sweating whether it'll leave you on the side of the road then it won't be fun and you won't like it.

Hope that helps. Oh, and I'm just getting ready to take my RS in for it's second replacement water pump. Embarassment

Funny how people always seem to be worried about BMW reliability on this forum while most of the best ride reports and the most miles seems to be ridden by BMW riders...
 couch

BMW must be doing something right or maybe BMW owners just like to blog while everyone else is busy riding???  

but that wouldn't explain DD or Gene and Neda...
Hail

RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2017, 07:35:03 pm »

Or maybe the many happy riders are riding, and the (relatively) few unhappy campers are doing all the posting?  Bigsmile

kver

Reputation 57

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 186

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2017, 08:27:19 pm »

Or maybe the many happy riders are riding, and the (relatively) few unhappy campers are doing all the posting?  Bigsmile

Ah the voice of wisdom...  
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2017, 10:06:07 am »

Dunno why I have time to write here... must be the snow...  Lol

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2017, 10:27:15 am »

I've been researching various rides in the last 6 months. this RS is on my short list. I guess I'd be concerned about the reliability of the whole bike; electronics and mechanically as the odometer runs near the 60K mls +    

Please reply, Thanks

I have about 12,000 miles in 12 months on my 2016 RS.

I have had one electronic issue where the digital tachometer flashes. Nothing that distracts from the ride. Will have it checked next service. The digital tacho irks me a bit. You'd think Germans would follow Porsche's lead with a big, fat analog tacho front & center  Smile

Other than not sounding like a Guzzi, it does everything else extremely competently  Bigsmile
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:31:57 pm by Orson » Logged

RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2017, 12:54:34 pm »

C'mon... two cylinders is two cylinders is two cylinders... How much different can the sound really be?   rofl

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2017, 08:36:42 am »

I have had one electronic issue where the digital tachometer flashes. Nothing that distracts from the ride. Will have it checked next service.

Update: The mechanic told me that the tachometer flashing indicates that the engine hasn't reached full operating temperature and you should keep rpm down until then.

Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2017, 05:32:53 pm »

So, you have not read zee book?  Lol

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2017, 05:09:37 am »

Guzzis don't have flashing lights so, I wuz disoriented  Bigsmile

I did read the part that said warming up the engine before taking off is not required.

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2017, 12:50:00 pm »

Guzzis don't have flashing lights so, I wuz disoriented  Bigsmile

I did read the part that said warming up the engine before taking off is not required.

Lol

You'd think Germans would follow Porsche's lead with a big, fat analog tacho front & center  Smile

Other than not sounding like a Guzzi, it does everything else extremely competently  Bigsmile

Oddly, all of the main German auto markets (save for Porsche) are migrating to digital dashes.  The current 3/4 series is the last one you can currently obtain new with BMW's traditional analog guage dash.  The 2018 models will have digital dashes like their Audi and Merc counterparts.  

Other than not sounding like a Guzzi,

If only it sounded like a Guzzi.  I'd love if my GS sounded like a Guzzi.  

GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '14 R12RT, and whatever I happen to ride home :)
GPS: Charlotte, NC
Miles Typed: 1426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2017, 02:34:19 am »

Zero,

Unlike BMW 4-wheeled vehicles there is no manufacture 2-yr Free maintanence type deal.   Any plan of that sort would have to be dealer specific and I sure haven't heard of one.  

We do them...

Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it…
howardrichman

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2017, 12:15:05 am »

I'm also considering the new RS.  I'm concerned about  complex electronics and differential failing a hundred miles from home, and cost of repairs.  At this time; I'm comparing the r1200RS to the Honda VFR 800 Interceptor.

please reply
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2017, 05:51:26 am »

I have about 12,000 miles on my 2016 RS.

So far, it has been a trouble free experience.

No problems with electronics. The engine hasn't burned any oil.

Handling and suspension is flawless. Ergonomics are a good fit for my 6'2" body with 32" inseam.

The only problem has been that the engine sounds like the Jetsons' flying car.

howardrichman

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2017, 08:11:03 am »

do you appreciate or use the multiple drive modes, lean angle abs, electronic suspension, ect compared to more standard options compared sa. just having fuel injection and abs?
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2017, 08:39:30 am »

I have found that leaving the suspension in ROAD mode rather than the SPORT mode is sufficient for my spirited rides.

The same goes for the engine settings so, I guess I could probably live without them.

The lean angle ABS operates in the background without being noticed.

I did appreciate the tire pressure monitor as, my rear tire got a slow leak during a trip. I also appreciate the heated grips. Surprisingly, the cruise control also proved to be useful for those four lane highways with low speed limits where police tend to patrol.

zer0netgain

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2018, 06:59:34 pm »

Bumping to the top.  I’m seriously looking at the 2018 model.  Thoughts?

Epyon

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: ‘09 Street Triple R, ‘10 S1000RR
Miles Typed: 83

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2020, 02:48:31 pm »

So to the folks that have had some time on this machines I ask.  If I'm doing some multi state tours looking for roads to play on an R2E is this a viable option?  I normally would use a FJR1300 for that but I sold it.  I'm looking at GS/GSA or RT at the moment as a replacement but this bike really turns my crank.  I'd just be afraid its too much sportbike and wouldn't be quite as good for sitting on it for a while as one needs to do from time to time on the highway..
SLK50

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: '06 FJR
GPS: Altoona, PA
Miles Typed: 1273

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2020, 04:24:15 pm »

Ride a GS and an RS back-to-back, THEN decide which works
better for you.
Ideally, I’d have both. Since that’s not possible, I’d choose
versatility over specialty. JMO.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal