BobW

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: r1200rs
GPS: Morganton, NC
Miles Typed: 594

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2016, 07:03:52 am »

So interested in this bike. I hope you/and/or Orion will start a thread about day to day, touring etc. A dedicated sport-touring bike deserves such attention. Don't you think ?

I agree and will add my $0.02 along the way. I have been a bikeaholic for 50 years now and try to get something "different" each time I change bikes. There really are no bad motorcycles out there today, but my Sprint ST, the futura and now the RS represent what keeps me returning to the sport touring platform (my Stelvio or a GS would be my second favorite). I still manage 15-20 thousand miles a year between our local, friendly old Smoky's and Blue Ridge mountain roads and annual family visits from here in NC to New England and the Pacific Northwest. The RS is slotted for those rides as well as a 2018 Canada and Alaska loop.

Cheers  

Retired and loving it.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2016, 06:29:20 am »

So far, so good after about 9,000 miles.

As I said previously, the RS reminds me a lot of my old 1984 FJ1100 which, pretty much set the standard for sport tourers in the 1990s. It ticks off all my sport touring needs; sure footed handling, good torque for riding "the Pace", comfort, good luggage, heated grips, etc.

I do miss the Guzzi soundtrack but, the fact that the RS does everything else so well helps to ease the pain  Smile

zer0netgain

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6398

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2016, 07:26:08 am »

Hate to resurrect the thread, but I have another question I'm not seeing an answer to on the BMW website.

Is a "service plan" available?  How much?  Is it worth it?

I ask because basic things I can do myself, but given the demands on my time, I'd almost consider paying for a plan that covers any and all ROUTINE maintenance issues.  Of course, maybe the kinds of things I'd take it in for would be just as affordable to pay on an "as needed" basis, but I'd like to know if there's the option.  I know they try to sell that stuff on car sales.

Advertisement

Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4505

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2016, 08:06:19 am »

If you don't have one after a year and a half, my advice would be to move on and get something else.

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
zer0netgain

Reputation 28

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6398

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2016, 09:03:54 am »

If you don't have one after a year and a half, my advice would be to move on and get something else.

I may be in a position to get one in the next few months.  That's why I'm reconsidering the situation.  Smile

radon222

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: '05 R1150GS Adv, '12 R1200RT
GPS: Pasadena, MD
Miles Typed: 289

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2016, 09:15:41 am »

Zero,

Unlike BMW 4-wheeled vehicles there is no manufacture 2-yr Free maintanence type deal.   Any plan of that sort would have to be dealer specific and I sure haven't heard of one.  
Stripes
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Reputation 110

Motorcycles: Triumph
GPS: On the water
Miles Typed: 4505

My Photo Gallery

I'm on a boat!

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2016, 09:19:45 am »

I may be in a position to get one in the next few months.  That's why I'm reconsidering the situation.  Smile

Thumbsup

Good luck!

"We all should aspire once in life to date a psychotic nymphomaniac, no matter what the aftermath."
BobW

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2016, 10:21:25 am »

So far, so good after about 9,000 miles.

As I said previously, the RS reminds me a lot of my old 1984 FJ1100 which, pretty much set the standard for sport tourers in the 1990s. It ticks off all my sport touring needs; sure footed handling, good torque for riding "the Pace", comfort, good luggage, heated grips, etc.

I do miss the Guzzi soundtrack but, the fact that the RS does everything else so well helps to ease the pain  Smile

Your assessment of the RS was a big help when I was narrowing my choices and I appreciate your feedback to my questions before I closed the deal. BTW, Eurosport would be great for Guzzi if Piaggio ever got their U.S. Operations sorted and if they offer a balanced lineup again. I get the cruisers and scramblers, but there is a big hole to be filled.

Retired and loving it.
BobW

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2016, 10:49:12 am »

I just got a RS, do it! You will be a happy rider.

+1, it would be a dealer offer.

The service is only easier on a moto guzzi because of the perky jugs   sorry I digress  Lol

6000 mile service is basically an oil and filter change and go over the bike looking at brake pads, tires, etc. No disassembly required. The RS uses a spin on oil filter that is easy to reach and while on the center stand slide a drip pan under the engine and remove the drain plug. After the oil drains, Replace drain plug using a new crush washer along with new filter and add fresh oil. Congrats! You have just serviced the engine in about the same time and effort it took to type this. Final drive can be done at the same time and it too has an easy drain and refill. The 12000 mile service is the same, but they add a valve check, spark plug, air filter change/inspection. Brakes should be "bled" at least every other year, but I do it yearly and it doesn't require a lot of time either.  You can do the "easy" stuff to enjoy playing Doctor with her and to save on labor costs and then have the Surgeons at the shop do a valve check etc. It isn't a bunch of man hours even if you had a shop do all maintenance and obviously any repairs are warranty work for 3 years or 36000 miles at no cost to you.

There are some great Ewe tubes showing the service and as suggested above the Jim VonBaden DVD is widely used and covers all you wanted to know about your BMW, but were afraid to ask......  

Retired and loving it.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2016, 11:48:47 am »

If Guzzi came out with an RS clone that wuz within 80% of the RS's capabilities, I would be sorely tempted just to have that Guzzi soundtrack  Inlove

The aural qualities of the Guzzi really make it an engaging bike out in the real world.

coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps (PNW)
Miles Typed: 2758

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2016, 09:31:08 pm »

Nothing beats good aural.

"Always be yourself. Unless you suck, then be somebody else."

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
howardrichman

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 07 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Miles Typed: 268

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2017, 01:38:35 am »

I've been researching various rides in the last 6 months. this RS is on my short list. I'm riding a Ninja 650r now and want more character and performance. I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha fj-09, the Honda VFR interceptor, and the BMW r1200rs.  If I can swing the RS, in the long run, will there be electronic problems that will cost me trips to the dealer or $ out of pocket often w/o a long term warrantee ? The 650R doesn't even have a fuel gauge, and don't need one using a trip meter.  The fj-09 has great reviews, but not into adventure style rides (unless I'm convinced that'll change); but now it feels like sitting on a big dirt bike. The VFR looks great, like the center stand and single side swing arm, but not the vtec. these two rides can be had for nearly half the price of the RS, and have to guess that's attributed mostly to its high technology. I guess I'd be concerned about the reliability of the whole bike; electronics and mechanically as the odometer runs near the 60K mls +    

Please reply, Thanks
Jetpilot5

Reputation 22

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Bloomington, IL
Miles Typed: 1764

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2017, 09:35:16 am »

As a base line, I don't think any BMW will be as reliable overall as a Honda or Yamaha and I've had three BMW's and multiple Honda's and Yamaha's. That said, my BMW's have been pretty good, very good mechanically and a few minor electrical issues. For example I had the right hand switch-gear replaced under recall on my K1300S. I did almost leave me stranded though. The VFR is very nice, I had a 99 model.  It won't have near the power and isn't as comfy as the RS. Can't speak to the FJ as I've never ridden the triple but I read good things.

If you'd like to get the price down and are worried about electrical issues you can do what I did.  I bought a base RS demo bike. Even the base BMW is well equipped. Then I added a center stand, heated grips and electronic cruise. That's all I really wanted and now don't have to worry about expensive electronic suspension components failing out of warranty or a gas cap that wont lock because keyless ride failed and it got the price down into the low teens for essentially a new bike with a full three year warranty. I will tell you that base BMW's are rare.  I had to travel 10 hours to get mine. If you're committed and can't find one you can always order one.

Which bike do you want? I've always been happier with bikes that had a high want factor over bikes that made more sense to me. If it's the BMW that you really want then get it, you'll most likely be fine.  If you get the BMW and like it but spend all your time sweating whether it'll leave you on the side of the road then it won't be fun and you won't like it.

Hope that helps. Oh, and I'm just getting ready to take my RS in for it's second replacement water pump. Embarassment

Region 4 Meet 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 | CSTN 07 | ST.N National 08, 10, 12 | Region 4 Track Day 09
kver

Reputation 57

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 180

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2017, 12:01:51 pm »

As a base line, I don't think any BMW will be as reliable overall as a Honda or Yamaha and I've had three BMW's and multiple Honda's and Yamaha's.

Which bike do you want? I've always been happier with bikes that had a high want factor over bikes that made more sense to me. If it's the BMW that you really want then get it, you'll most likely be fine.  If you get the BMW and like it but spend all your time sweating whether it'll leave you on the side of the road then it won't be fun and you won't like it.

Hope that helps. Oh, and I'm just getting ready to take my RS in for it's second replacement water pump. Embarassment

Funny how people always seem to be worried about BMW reliability on this forum while most of the best ride reports and the most miles seems to be ridden by BMW riders...
 couch

BMW must be doing something right or maybe BMW owners just like to blog while everyone else is busy riding???  

but that wouldn't explain DD or Gene and Neda...
Hail

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3747

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2017, 07:35:03 pm »

Or maybe the many happy riders are riding, and the (relatively) few unhappy campers are doing all the posting?  Bigsmile

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
kver

Reputation 57

Motorcycles: sv650s, Sprint ST, zx10r - got a twin, a triple and I4 - I need a thumper
Miles Typed: 180

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2017, 08:27:19 pm »

Or maybe the many happy riders are riding, and the (relatively) few unhappy campers are doing all the posting?  Bigsmile

Ah the voice of wisdom...  
RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2017, 10:06:07 am »

Dunno why I have time to write here... must be the snow...  Lol

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2017, 10:27:15 am »

I've been researching various rides in the last 6 months. this RS is on my short list. I guess I'd be concerned about the reliability of the whole bike; electronics and mechanically as the odometer runs near the 60K mls +    

Please reply, Thanks

I have about 12,000 miles in 12 months on my 2016 RS.

I have had one electronic issue where the digital tachometer flashes. Nothing that distracts from the ride. Will have it checked next service. The digital tacho irks me a bit. You'd think Germans would follow Porsche's lead with a big, fat analog tacho front & center  Smile

Other than not sounding like a Guzzi, it does everything else extremely competently  Bigsmile
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:31:57 pm by Orson » Logged

RBEmerson

Reputation 32

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2017, 12:54:34 pm »

C'mon... two cylinders is two cylinders is two cylinders... How much different can the sound really be?   rofl

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2017, 08:36:42 am »

I have had one electronic issue where the digital tachometer flashes. Nothing that distracts from the ride. Will have it checked next service.

Update: The mechanic told me that the tachometer flashing indicates that the engine hasn't reached full operating temperature and you should keep rpm down until then.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal