Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
Print

Topic: One Picture. One Story.  (Read 107285 times)

bungie4

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: 2013 Yamaha FJR, 2013 CRF250L
GPS: Sudbury Ontario
Miles Typed: 841

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2012, 01:17:15 pm »

For the last few years that I lived in the Seattle area, I made it a point to ride the North Cascade Highway, from Arlington, in the west, to Winthrop, in the eastern side as often as I could.

Thumbsup Thumbsup

One of my all time favourite scenic rides. Especially around Diablo Lake.

-Steve
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad Help when you need it www.assistancelist.com
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

miles

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13032

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2012, 11:46:23 pm »

Lawn Dart and I went for a ride yesterday, and saw some really pretty scenery and some very, very empty roads (In fact, we rode The Loneliest Road In America™).  This photo was taken a few miles south of Caliente, NV, which is a lovely little town in the exact center of BFE.

Three points where two lines meet
Bad Dad

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2011 GSXR 1000, 2009 Husqvarna TE-450, 2003 RC-51, 2002 DL1000 V-Strom, 98 Valkyrie, 2002 ZRX-1200, ,2003 Gas-Gas EC300,1998 XR-200, 1995 KTM440, Ect...
GPS: Nrthern Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 844

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2012, 10:06:13 am »

First day riding in Colorado, knee down south of Ouray. We were limited on time so we trailered the bikes out Rolleyes We were going to drive in shifts but I ended up soloing the drive to the tune of 1520 miles from home to Ridgeway state park:crazy: Totally worth it!!    http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/Hinterlan/IMG_0504.jpg  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:15:46 am by Bad Dad » Logged
Advertisement

Cafe Racer
Total biker...like totally!

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Yamaha FZR-R4, Yamaha WR450F, KTM SD950, KTM ADV950, CBR900RR, Piaggio Vespa P200e, Honda Elite80
Miles Typed: 73

My Photo Gallery

King of this Hill

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2012, 02:19:13 pm »

I see this image daily.  And each time it brings a feeling so strong.  And on those rare occasions, an intense feeling of anticipation.  I know that when I see this image, I am going to experience something magical.

Just me and my moto.

As the key is inserted and turned, the familiar electronic chirp... the translucent glow of the LCD... This very moment of calm which lasts a mere few seconds, stirs my physical being into a restrained emotional frenzy.  I feel it in my chest as it rounds under my arms and towards my back.  Others refer to it as a "chill".

But I don't shiver.   I gently slow my breathe and press the ignition.  

Miguel

Calspeed Moto Studio and Storage
4039 Balboa Street
San Francisco California 94121
Lawn Dart
I am BMW-K: I survived Christine's Wrath.

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster EVO; 2011 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Anaheim Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4456

My Photo Gallery

- C'mon Iron Horse! Go faster! Go Faster!

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2012, 01:58:10 am »

December 27th, 2012.  I played a bit of Christmas Hookey...

Or, maybe I gave myself a great little present?

I took today off and decided to run out to the BIG Sweepers of Palms to Pines.  This would be somewhat risky...it's been raining of late and that during the winter would mean snow and potentially ice.  I opted to take a late start in the name of safety and didn't thumb the starter until nearly 9:30am.

Every now and again there is that one moment in a ride where pulling over to take a picture is just the right thing to do.  Today my camera came out only once...

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j288/rnovielli/IMG_2615_zps40aa7052.jpg

The roads were clear of debris...clean and theoretically fast.  'Cept it was about 40 degrees.  At 11am.

I kept wishing my e-Vest went to 11...

I barely cleared 250 miles but it was worth every cold minute.  Life is good.

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2013, 08:03:24 am »

In all my journeys, I am always on the lookout for the Holy Grail. That one road somewhere out there that might surpass the majestic ribbon of road known as California's Highway 1. Some have come close. The Adriatic coast road in Croatia. Highway 17 in Norway. The road along False Bay in South Africa or the magnificent ride along the western coast of New Zealand's South Island.

Then in 2011, I happened along a road in southern Italy that I hadn't previously heard about. The stretch between Sapri and Praia a Mare, known as the Strada Statale 18. Right where the boot of Italy turns towards the toe, I happened upon a fantastic ride. For almost 20 glorious miles, the scenery is every bit as dramatic as Big Sur. Sadly, in contrast to the endless nirvana that is Highway 1, this stretch ends all too quickly.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b173/Orsoni/L1000663.jpg

owrstrich
^TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: RS MOTOBRICK GLIDE
GPS: Dodge County
Miles Typed: 314

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2013, 11:34:37 am »

once upon a time in the recent past there was an experiment in motodebauchery... lumbering cruisers piloted by lifestyle riders no show after waiting 15 minutes at lockwood from the phone booth.. no show after waiting 60 minutes at the mckittrick market... well they did show at 61 minutes but we were rolling... and only after catching up with a 12 moto group stopped on rossis driveway for group photos...

i present to you a photo recollection of what happens when a lifestyle rider pilots a lumbering cruiser at 1/2 of the posted speed limit on the pozo loop... turn into a non turn too early and the trajectory puts you off in the turf at the exit of the non turn... we call this lumbering cruiser the motor companies world famous turf king...

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/owrstrich/2013/13-03-16%20Jockos/OldTurfDog_zpsa6e46d0a.jpg

j o

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:49:49 am by owrstrich » Logged

MOTOBRICK.COM ~ BMW K75 K100 K1 K1100 Forum by ^Quintessential Motobrickers for ^Motobrickers of Earth
stew71

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2007 Triumph Tiger
GPS: Sacramento, CA
Miles Typed: 1514

My Photo Gallery

Words simply cannot express how much I don't care.

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2013, 01:21:40 pm »

Last week....I was hungry around noon and decided to ride somewhere for lunch.   Bigok

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff334/stew71/IMG_20130222_125546_998_zps39d0a60e.jpg

A hamster wheel looks like a career ladder from the inside.
The police never think it's as funny as you do.
NitroRoo

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '01 Ninja 250, '00 ZRX 1100
Miles Typed: 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2013, 03:09:38 pm »

Like many in this thread, one of my most memorable rides for me was one where the stress level had reached a melting point, and I decided that I really needed to spend some time on my motorcycle.  It was July 2010, I was living in Lubbock TX at the time.  Any that are familiar with that area know that it's very flat with not much to look at for miles around.  I had heard the mountains of New Mexico were beautiful.  The original plan had been to spend the whole weekend moto camping, but severe stormy weather had dashed my plans.  My wife and kids were out of town that weekend, so time was on my side, but the weather wasn't.  I tried to make the best of Friday and Saturday, but with the bad weather and nobody home, coupled with the fact that I wasn't riding - by the time Sunday rolled around I decided to just say screw it and I took off first thing in the morning.  I had very little plans other than head west and explore.  The bad part: I had to be at work on Monday, so I really only had one day.  I threw a few items in a tail bag and took off.  I made it to the mountains in about 4 hours, and then the rain started.  Just a slow, steady rain that kept my pace down in the curves.  I stopped in Cloudcroft for a bite to eat and the World Cup was on TV.  I enjoyed watching that and cheering on with complete strangers.  After killing a couple hours watching the soccer, it was time to make it back home.  I stopped in Roswell and bought some little bendy aliens for my kids.  Continuing on towards Lubbock the skies were looking very, very angry.  The radar on my phone confirmed several very dark red spots.  With very limited route options and no cover, I was forced to ride through some of the worst rain and wind I've ever encountered on a bike.  I made it into lubbock well after dark, and several streets had up to a foot of water flowing down them.  It was like riding through a fast moving river that was a foot deep.  Pretty wild.  I finally made it home, took a hot shower, and hit the sack with a smile on my face.  It's amazing what a day on the bike will do for your soul.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/swimybug/MyBike/Cloudcroft710/IMG_0784.jpg
cyjo

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Thurmont, MD
Miles Typed: 765

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2013, 10:39:57 pm »

In 2006 I decided to attend my first STN meet. That year the meet was in Canaan Valley WV where I will be again in a few weeks. This was to be my first solo overnight trip on a bike. I had done plenty of alone day rides and a few long distance rides with a friend but this was my first time going alone. I had a week of adventure planned going from Tampa to WV and back. I started the trip in blistering heat. I slabbed out of Tampa and up through Georgia to the Georgia mountains and a little over 600 miles I was there for the night. The next morning I was still worn out from the humid 100 degree heat from the day before and the mountain air was decidedly cooler. I motored out of town and hit the first of several hundred miles of backroads that would occupy this trip. I admit I was intimidated. I'm from Florida, they don't have curves except for on-ramps and I'm on a way over-loaded bike. After I few miles I calmed down and went through small towns on little roads eventually hitting the dragon. I had picked out a couple of places to see on this trip but mostly I was going to follow my intuition and let fate decide. The picture below is from Cumberland Gap, a place I didn't plan on seeing. I was preparing to camp someplace or another the night before at one of those honor places and just after beginning to set up camp, the ranger pulled through and asked if everything was ok. Sure it is I say. Well he says you know that some bad weather is coming through tonight right? I didn't and I thought well how bad could it be but I looked around and I noticed the only others in the campsite were full on RV's. No tents, no pop-ups. I hit the road and eventually ended up just on the other side of the Cumberland Gap in KY. I found a hotel next door to a southern buffet. That night the weather was so bad, that the power and cable were knocked out most of the night. The next day it was damp and raining and I was not eager to hit the road. So after breakfast, I did suit up and go to the walmart for a few things and then backtracked through Cumberland Gap and decided to visit the park and let the roads dry a bit. I went into what amounts to downtown to look for a gift for my daughter and something struck me about this town. Nothing like what I see on a day to day basis. It's Americana and at it's heart is why I am on this trip, to discover new places and make conversation with the people along the way. The photo is not breathtaking but holds power with me. To the undiscovered  Smile

Cumberland Gap, Tennessee by joeyschmitt, on Flickr

“More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.” - Wilbur Wright
vfrrider
Frankenvifferisti

Reputation 4

Miles Typed: 431

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2013, 10:25:39 am »

Found those keys you lost.

Larry
VFRrider
cyjo

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Thurmont, MD
Miles Typed: 765

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2013, 09:54:46 pm »

The mystery finally solved!  Lol

“More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.” - Wilbur Wright
miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: April 21, 2013, 10:30:03 pm »

Big Jim (james_g) just bought a new bike yesterday, so of course the first place he rode to after leaving  dealership was my place to show it off. Now, I'd been thinking about buying this particular model, so of course I had to drool on his bike for a bit. We made plans for an early morning Sunday ride, since my bike was finally back on the road thanks to a motor transplant.
We met at the start of the twisties at 6 AM, and it was a whole lot colder than I expected for an April morning. Heck, it must have been down in the 60s!

Anyhow, we had a great shakedown ride, including a run up and down Mt Palomar. This is a shot near the top on the fast side at a turn out with an amazing view. This was 7:30 in the morning and facing west with the sun behind us. Off in the distance you can just make out the Pacific Ocean.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:42:50 pm by miles » Logged

james_g

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: San Diego, Ca
Miles Typed: 476

My Photo Gallery

My bike is more fun than yours!

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: April 21, 2013, 10:45:42 pm »

Lol I was just going to post the same pic Miles. Great shakedown ride for sure.

james

...a Japanese manufacturer might take the motor, castrate it to about 110 hp and stick it in a cheaper, heavier chassis with low-spec suspension and brakes and slice an ‘R’ or two off the name. That’s not how Aprilia roll
miles

Reputation 85

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2013, 11:16:52 pm »

Lol I was just going to post the same pic Miles. Great shakedown ride for sure.

james

Post anyway!

DestinationUnknown

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: Honda 1000, XR250 Plated, CRF450R
GPS: SW Tenn.
Miles Typed: 32

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2013, 05:26:51 am »

I had seen photos of this place and decided to stop at this overlook if ever in the area. I was close and stopped by while doing a ride of the southwest states recently. I laughed out loud to myself while taking in the epic view.

Muley Point, Utah

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q731/TravelAmerica2Wheels/DSC03599_zpse8e5bebb.jpg
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 05:31:42 am by DestinationUnknown » Logged
Lawn Dart
I am BMW-K: I survived Christine's Wrath.

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster EVO; 2011 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Anaheim Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4456

My Photo Gallery

- C'mon Iron Horse! Go faster! Go Faster!

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2013, 09:58:35 am »

I had seen photos of this place and decided to stop at this overlook if ever in the area. I was close and stopped by while doing a ride of the southwest states recently. I laughed out loud to myself while taking in the epic view.

Muley Point, Utah

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q731/TravelAmerica2Wheels/DSC03599_zpse8e5bebb.jpg

NICE!

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2014, 04:52:31 am »

Team orson headed to Italy with no clear destination in mind. Left Parma heading for the coast where I would find a hotel before deciding whether to head north or south. I had been leaning towards Tuscany however, the weather forecast was calling for a week of blistering hot 90 degree weather so, the decision wuz made for me. The mountain passes of the Maritime Alps might provide some respite from the heat.

I headed north along the Ligurian coast before heading inland at Savona. Entering the picturesque Langhe area of Piedmont, I found a nice hotel nestled among the almond groves. The Langhe area bears a resemblance to Tuscanny with hilltop towns and vineyards except there aren't as many tourists. The hotel clerk handed me a list of about 10 Michelin-starred restaurants within about a 20 km area. The next day, I picked one of the restaurants on the list in the town of Grinzano. On the way, I stopped to take a picture overlooking the town of Rodello. Immediately after taking the picture, the low battery warning light began to flash. D'oh!  EEK! I could have sworn I had fully charged the camera before leaving but, maybe not  Mad2

Hence, this trip report goes in the One Picture, One Story thread

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/Orsono/DSC00335_zps9492e792.jpg

After thoroughly enjoying a three hour lunch, I was in no condition to ride much more. I headed back to the hotel and loitered by the pool. I think I rode all of 30 kilometers that day  Embarassment

The next day, I headed towards La France via la Colle della Maddalena. Stopped for lunch near the summit where almost all the customers were bikers. I had a ploughman's lunch of polenta and wild boar. The guy brings out the dessert trolley. I point out the chocolate custard. He takes a scoop of the chocolate custard, cuts off a piece of pie, throws on a dollop of tiramisu and another dollop of creme brûlée. Alora!  Lol I ended up the day in Briancon.

Given all the squiggly green lines on the Michelin map, I decided to make this my base camp for a few days. The first day, I took in the Col du Galibier and the Col de La Croix de Fer. The high altitudes worked a treat offering cool temperatures compared to the heat in the valleys. On the way back to Briancon, I took a side detour up the infamous Alpe de Huez. Respect for the bicyclist who were riding up the hill as even the mighty Goose seemed to be a bit winded by the climb. Late in the afternoon, thunderstorms appeared and I had to ride the final 60 kilometers in the rain. I had gone from blistering heat to cold rain in a matter of hours.

The following day dawned crisp and blue, promising more high temperatures. I headed towards Grenoble before turning south towards Gap. All marked as green scenic routes on the Michelin map. Passing thru the small town of Corps, I spotted a restaurant with waiters wearing ties. I decided that any place with fancy waiters must have good food so I pulled her over. I wasn't disappointed as I enjoyed a thoroughly delicious lunch with all the trimmings. Heading into Gap, I found all the roads to Briancon blocked for the Criterium du Dauphine bicycle race, the last warm up before the Tour de France kicks off. Nothing to do but pull up and watch the race. I didn't recognize any of the racers although I'm assuming most of the big stars were there. After about 30 minutes, the race convoy had passed and the Gendarmes reopened the roads.

After three days in Briancon, I continued northwards following the Maritime Alps. It would be a thoroughly enjoyable day as I took in three major passes before arriving in Courmayeur, Italy at the foot of Mont Blanc; Col du Mt. Cenis, Col de l'Iseran and Col de Piccolo San Bernardo. The next day I rode the cable car up the mountain and enjoyed the view while having lunch at the top.

From Courmayeur, I headed back towards Parma, riding around Turin and back down thru the Langhe region, down the coast and across the Apennine Mountains to Parma.

Trip Statistics:
Riding Days: 10
Rest Days: 3
Distance: +/- 3000 km
Police Sightings: 0
Deer Sighting: 0
Bee Stings: 0

Route Map:
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j231/Orsono/image_map_zps6a5cfd15.gif

stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4574

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2014, 11:57:29 am »

Oh My!  Inlove

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
Scoop
National Man of Mystery

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '10
GPS: Thunder Bay Ontario
Miles Typed: 1557

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2014, 09:00:26 pm »

Oh My!  Inlove

I second that.  What a ride that would be.

"Gender Box"...Rocketbunny
"but in reality the optimal pace can only be confirmed in hindsight"...Gene
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal